PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Colt191145lover
08-06-2015, 11:34 AM
As I understand it, Beretta has significantly improved the trigger return spring (and locking block) so neither is a regular maintenance item.

I wouldn't be surprised if Centurion and Compact fans will be very happy Q4 2015 and Q1 2016.

My wallet and my wife dont like you very much...

Mike C
08-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Trooper224,

I see what you were saying about the TCU from from Wilson, well... Wolff. It does give a mushy feel to the trigger, I am going to try the standard power TCU and order a new factory spring as well. I've got to say though its pretty amazing what just putting a slight polish on a few parts and swapping the main spring out will do. The trigger feels amazing now, I can only imagine what a worked over trigger from Wilson or AGW would be like. It's got me Jonesing for a Brig. Tac.

I am also loving the slim grips and SRT. I had to fit the SRT but the upside to that was that it doesn't have any of the play you were talking about. The slim VZ's completely change the feel of the gun and makes it much easier to manipulate the safety and almost makes it possible for me to use the stock mag release setup on the left side. Hopefully Wilson will get the oversized and extended checkered mag releases back in soon.

Hizzie
08-06-2015, 06:00 PM
H
Trooper224,

I see what you were saying about the TCU from from Wilson, well... Wolff. It does give a mushy feel to the trigger, I am going to try the standard power TCU and order a new factory spring as well. I've got to say though its pretty amazing what just putting a slight polish on a few parts and swapping the main spring out will do. The trigger feels amazing now, I can only imagine what a worked over trigger from Wilson or AGW would be like. It's got me Jonesing for a Brig. Tac.

I am also loving the slim grips and SRT. I had to fit the SRT but the upside to that was that it doesn't have any of the play you were talking about. The slim VZ's completely change the feel of the gun and makes it much easier to manipulate the safety and almost makes it possible for me to use the stock mag release setup on the left side. Hopefully Wilson will get the oversized and extended checkered mag releases back in soon.

You want the BUSA OEM oversized mag release. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/982953/beretta-magazine-release-oversized-92-96-series-black

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Trooper224,

Very cool to hear it's working out for you. I have the extended checkered WC mag release on two of my 92's and the uncheckered one one my primary carry gun. I prefer the smooth surface for IWB carry.

DocSabo40
08-23-2015, 02:32 PM
As I understand it, Beretta has significantly improved the trigger return spring (and locking block) so neither is a regular maintenance item.

I wouldn't be surprised if Centurion and Compact fans will be very happy Q4 2015 and Q1 2016.

Just stumbled across this. Is there scuttlebutt on some new Beretta offerings? I would love to see some more 92 Compact options. I'm considering sending my stainless model off to Wilson soon.

JSGlock34
08-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Bill Wilson stated on Beretta forum that he has two other projects planned with Beretta USA. He stated one will be smaller than a Brigadier Tactical and larger than a compact (I'm imagining a Centurion?). He said the other will not be a G de-cocker and will not be an FS configuration either.

I'm excited to see the Beretta/Wilson collaboration continue (my own Brigadier Tactical 92G has become a favorite pistol - and I'll be taking it to an Ernest Langdon class shortly). However, I think Beretta needs to get moving on the M9A3. In my opinion, the M9A3 is the future of the 92 line. After some initial buzz, there has been little sign of progress (save for the appearance of the M9A3 17 round PVD magazines on the BUSA website).

WobblyPossum
08-23-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm with you on wanting the M9A3. I'm pretty much in "Shut Up and Take My Money!" territory here. I heard a rumor that they'll be released in September, but I'll believe it when I see it. I still remember when they announced the "Q2 2015" release date initially. It's taking every ounce of willpower I can muster to not buy one of the $419 Px4 compacts on Gunbroker just to have a Beretta to play with.

Lyonsgrid
08-23-2015, 08:32 PM
...I'm excited to see the Beretta/Wilson collaboration continue (my own Brigadier Tactical 92G has become a favorite pistol - and I'll be taking it to an Ernest Langdon class shortly)...

I've got my 92 ready for an EL class...

Dagga Boy
08-23-2015, 10:39 PM
I was going to start a new thread, but I ll try this first. I will be finishing my Beretta Vertec project that got lost in the great revolver buy up of 2015. I have a bunch of good stock Beretta magazines for my regular 92. With the Vertec With a 92 slide and bunches of Wilson junk I was wondering if anyone has used the magazines Wilson is selling. I was going to buy several, but wanted to make sure they were a good upgrade, or would I be better off with the actual Italian 15 rounders.

HCM
08-23-2015, 10:52 PM
I was going to start a new thread, but I ll try this first. I will be finishing my Beretta Vertec project that got lost in the great revolver buy up of 2015. I have a bunch of good stock Beretta magazines for my regular 92. With the Vertec With a 92 slide and bunches of Wilson junk I was wondering if anyone has used the magazines Wilson is selling. I was going to buy several, but wanted to make sure they were a good upgrade, or would I be better off with the actual Italian 15 rounders.

Mecgar

Sigfan26
08-23-2015, 11:26 PM

The 18 round Mec Gar mags are all I use in my EDC 92G and my BrigTac. I like them a lot more than the factory 15 rounders

GJM
08-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Darryl, the last time I spoke with Ernest and Bill W, both preferred the MecGar AFC 18 round magazine for the Beretta 92. I think Wilson even sells them. I bought a bunch from GregCoteLLC.com.

Trooper224
08-24-2015, 12:30 AM
The MecGar 18 round mags are the best thing out there for the 92. They're my prefered carry mag.

Trooper224
08-24-2015, 12:31 AM
I've got my 92 ready for an EL class...

I just threw up in my mouth.

JSGlock34
08-24-2015, 06:34 AM
I like the Mec-Gar 18 round magazines as well. CDNN (http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/beretta-92-18rd-9mm-anti-friction-magazine.html#.VdsBHniLGng) also has good prices on them (these are identical to the Mec-Gar magazines in every way except they lack the Mec-Gar roll mark). I'm not a fan of the Beretta OEM 17 round magazines, as I've cracked the floor plate on several, and you cannot order replacements from BUSA. I won't be buying any more. I'm curious to see if the 17 round PVD magazines (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mag-90two-spec-duty-pvd-9-17-pvd-9mm-17-unpackaged/c83734/) for the M9A3 use a different baseplate, and if spares will be available for purchase.

JTQ
08-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Looking back on this thread, David B. said the following…

I like the slide and frame refinements of the 92A1. The only thing the frame lacks is a flared mag well. My choices in order of preference are:

92A1 - Most updated frame and slide design.
M9A1 - Older frame design, but has flared mag well and front and back-strap checkering.
92FS - No rail and integral front sight, but I'd still be happy with one. Lots of holster options.
A lot has changed at Beretta in the past couple of years since that was posted. Looking at the features on the 92A1, and its' relative uniqueness in the Beretta line-up, I'm wondering if it my find itself going the way of its' predecessor the 90-Two and go away? Are there any Beretta crystal ball readers that would care to speculate?

JSGlock34
08-24-2015, 07:32 AM
I really don't see a place for the 92A1 in the Beretta lineup once the M9A3 is released.

Hizzie
08-24-2015, 08:42 AM

MecGar 18's

http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/MECGAR-MAG-BER-92-ANTI-FRICTION-BLUE-18RD-OEM-MAG9218.html

Dagga Boy
08-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Any thoughts on the 20 rounders? I was thinking two 18's for concealed carry with an IWB and single mag pouch, and three 20's for a range rig with an OWB holster and double mag pouch.

While I love my old W. German SIGs, I plan for this gun to be my DA/SA training gun.

Sigfan26
08-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Any thoughts on the 20 rounders? I was thinking two 18's for concealed carry with an IWB and single mag pouch, and three 20's for a range rig with an OWB holster and double mag pouch.

While I love my old W. German SIGs, I plan for this gun to be my DA/SA training gun.

Only have 2 of the 20 rounders, but I've never had an issue with them

Jeep
08-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Only have 2 of the 20 rounders, but I've never had an issue with them

My 20 rounders work fine, but it seems to me that they disturb the balance of the pistol a bit. Not so noticeable with a Brig Tac (perhaps because of its heavier slide), but a bit irritating with an M9 in my experience. However, my guess is that this is an individual preference thing.

The 18 round Mec-Gars work well, as do the 15 round Beretta mags and the new (non-parkerized) Checkmate mags (heresy, I know, but I have found they are perfectly fine range mags). One of the best points of the Beretta 92 series is that mags tend to be cheaper than for other pistols these days.

CanineCombatives
08-24-2015, 11:19 AM
For whatever it's worth I just talked to Beretta USA this morning trying to get a semblance of info on the M9a3, they couldnt/wouldnt tell me anything.

Jeep
08-24-2015, 11:20 AM
For whatever it's worth I just talked to Beretta USA this morning trying to get a semblance of info on the M9a3, they couldnt/wouldnt tell me anything.

If you ever find out anything let us know--it seems to be an interesting pistol.

Edwin
08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
If you're worried about the baseplate's on your magazine going out, consider getting either the Springer Precision anodized aluminum ones (http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=068BE244D89A88973CAD5FC3252 BBE01.m1plqscsfapp02?categoryId=53) or the Shockbottle (http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Beretta-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Extended-Basepad-p/bx-sf1.htm) ones.

breakingtime91
08-24-2015, 01:28 PM
How are the 10 rounders?

JSGlock34
08-24-2015, 05:03 PM
If you're worried about the baseplate's on your magazine going out, consider getting either the Springer Precision anodized aluminum ones (http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=068BE244D89A88973CAD5FC3252 BBE01.m1plqscsfapp02?categoryId=53) or the Shockbottle (http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Beretta-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Extended-Basepad-p/bx-sf1.htm) ones.

Hey, thanks for the links. I wasn't aware of those products, and they'd certainly solve the baseplate cracking problem on the OEM 17 round magazines. On the other hand, $17.50-$24.95 for a magazine base plate is tough to swallow when I can buy a brand new Mec-Gar 18 round magazine for under $20, and I've yet to crack one of those. Options are a good thing though.

Edwin
08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Yeah they are pricey but they are nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HCM
08-24-2015, 06:03 PM
How are the 10 rounders?

The Beretta OEM 10 rounders i've seen run fine.We ran training quals for a contract security force equipped with Police trade in 92FS's and used 10 round OEM magazines. No magazine issues noted.

On an unrelated note, this was a big improvement over the prior 40 caliber SIGMA's which many of the guards had never fired ......

Trooper224
08-25-2015, 02:07 AM

I've got four of the 20's, no issues to report. They are far easier to load out of the box than the 18's. If I used a 92 for duty carry I'd put a twenty in the gun and two 18's on my belt.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Would anyone here be able to comment/provide comparison photos of a Beretta 92 series grip as compared to a Sig P226 (Non E2) grip?

I find the ergonomics of 92G-SD to be superb, however the bottom three fingers on my primary hand feel crowded on the grip. I owned a P226 at one point also, but I can't remember anything about the ergos of it in my hand. I am wondering if the added grip length of the P226 would benefit me. I am also using the factory grips on my Beretta and not the other slimmer offerings out there. I feel as though the problem would get worse if I switched to thinner grips.

ssb
08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Edit: misread.

GJM
08-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Would anyone here be able to comment/provide comparison photos of a Beretta 92 series grip as compared to a Sig P226 (Non E2) grip?

I find the ergonomics of 92G-SD to be superb, however the bottom three fingers on my primary hand feel crowded on the grip. I owned a P226 at one point also, but I can't remember anything about the ergos of it in my hand. I am wondering if the added grip length of the P226 would benefit me. I am also using the factory grips on my Beretta and not the other slimmer offerings out there. I feel as though the problem would get worse if I switched to thinner grips.

The Beretta 92 is smack between a 226 and 229 in grip length.

RAM Engineer
08-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Any updates on the Wilson trigger bar? Experiences?

Dagga Boy
08-27-2015, 06:56 PM
I got to shoot a Wilson Beretta M9 rebuild today. VERY impressive and a very different gun. I can't wait to get my Wilson Vertec G together when I get home.

Kyle Reese
08-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Any updates on the Wilson trigger bar? Experiences?

I've installed one into my 92G and it's really improved the DA trigger. It's eliminated the stacking and when used with the 12# mainspring (provided in the kit), shooting a DA Beretta has become like a guilty pleasure.

Buy one.

Matt O
08-28-2015, 06:52 AM
I'll be the dissenting voice unfortunately. I did not like how far back the new trigger bar moved the break point and didn't feel the pull itself was notably improved. So I swapped my original trigger bar back in and am much happier. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep
08-28-2015, 08:35 AM
I've installed one into my 92G and it's really improved the DA trigger. It's eliminated the stacking and when used with the 12# mainspring (provided in the kit), shooting a DA Beretta has become like a guilty pleasure.

Buy one.

Do you get enough force to bust hard primers with that? 12# seems pretty light.

shootist26
08-28-2015, 01:49 PM
I'll be the dissenting voice unfortunately. I did not like how far back the new trigger bar moved the break point and didn't feel the pull itself was notably improved. So I swapped my original trigger bar back in and am much happier. YMMV

interestingly, I tried the WC short reach trigger and came to the same conclusion. Yes, the reach was shorter, but it also noticeably moved back the break point. I felt it was harder to shoot at speed because of the distance I had to pull the trigger through. I went back to the stock trigger and liked it much better.

Lyonsgrid
08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
interestingly, I tried the WC short reach trigger and came to the same conclusion. Yes, the reach was shorter, but it also noticeably moved back the break point. I felt it was harder to shoot at speed because of the distance I had to pull the trigger through. I went back to the stock trigger and liked it much better.

Same outcome for me...especially with the Vertec frames I run. Went back to stock also.

LHS
08-28-2015, 02:15 PM
How are the 10 rounders?

Hard to stuff that 10th round in, but otherwise they work fine. I used four of them for IDPA matches for years.

Kyle Reese
08-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Do you get enough force to bust hard primers with that? 12# seems pretty light.

So far, so good, even with Tula 9mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StraitR
08-30-2015, 06:23 PM
deleted.

JSGlock34
08-30-2015, 10:57 PM
In comparison to my other pistols, I've acquired a somewhat diverse array of magazines for the Beretta 92, with three different manufacturers and five distinct variations represented in my collection. I've posted on these magazines before, but now that I've been regularly shooting a Beretta 92 variant over the past two years, I've made some observations and developed some preferences. I have no affiliation with any manufacturer. I've now used the following magazines...

1. Beretta OEM 15 round magazine
2. Beretta OEM 15 round PVD sand resistant magazine
3. Beretta OEM 17 round magazine
4. Check-Mate Industries (CMI) 15 round magazine
5. Mec-Gar 18 round magazine

Here are a few representatives...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-3_zpsvagqroja.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-2_zps8vjerbqc.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-1_zpsrol7gw1b.jpg

(Pictured L-R: CMI 15 rnd (2005), CMI 15 rnd (2014), Beretta OEM 15 rnd, Beretta OEM PVD 15 rnd, Beretta OEM 17 rnd, Mec-Gar 18 rnd, 'Original Equipment' 18 rnd)

Beretta OEM 15 Round Magazines (Standard and PVD Sand Resistant)

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-6_zpsmkep172b.jpg
(Beretta OEM 15 Round Magazine - L, Beretta OEM PVD Sand Resistant 15 Round Magazine - R)

I acquired the standard 15 round magazines when I purchased a Beretta M9, and the 15 round PVD sand resistant magazines came standard with my Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical. Both magazines have proven reliable with both the M9 and the Brigadier Tactical. The sand resistant magazines have some visually apparent differences, mainly the deletion of the cut-out for the original 92 heel release, the addition of a vertical debris channel, and the distinctive PVD coating. The sand resistant magazines are marketed as the most reliable of the 92 magazines ("Choose the ultimate in reliability with the same magazine found on the battle-tested M9A1..."), and for those operating under extreme environmental conditions, perhaps they provide a measure of additional reliability. Under range conditions, I've yet to notice a difference in performance, though the price premium for the PVD is considerable, and I was able to find the standard magazines for under $15 during the holidays. Anyone would be well served by either of these magazines.

Beretta OEM 17 Round Magazines

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-9_zpsnfnlrwl6.jpg
(Beretta OEM 17 Round Magazine)

Looking to stick with OEM magazines, I found the 17 round magazines on sale for under $20 each and purchased three. The 17 round magazine was originally created for the 90-Two and comes standard with the 92A1. I've found the 17 round magazines are a bit tougher to load than the 15 round magazines, but it is hardly an issue. While the 17 round magazines have proven functionally reliable, their durability leaves something to be desired. The issue is the plastic floor plate - all three of the magazines have developed cracks, some severe. One magazine in particular looks to be hanging on by a thread, and I'm confident that it is only a matter of time before it fails catastrophically. As such, these magazines have been relegated to practice use only.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-10_zpszdsqh44s.jpg
(Floor plate damage)

The obvious answer is to replace the floor plate - unfortunately, a call to Beretta USA customer service revealed that Beretta doesn't sell the floor plate as a replacement part. It is possible to source replacement floor plates from overseas (via Brignoli (http://www.brignoliarmi.com/3/hunting-articles-beretta-special-parts-rubber-pads)), and thanks to this thread (shout-out to Edwin) I've learned that there are a number of after market options, such as these units from Springer Precision (http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=068BE244D89A88973CAD5FC3252 BBE01.m1plqscsfapp02?categoryId=53)and Shockbottle (http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Beretta-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Extended-Basepad-p/bx-sf1.htm). However, the price of these floor plates exceeds the purchase price of the original magazines. Beretta indicates that these magazines will accept a standard floor plate, though that will look somewhat unusual. Considering this state of affairs, I do not recommend the 17 round Beretta magazines, as there are better options available for the money.

I note that Beretta has recently released a PVD coated sand resistant version of the 17 round magazine (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mag-90two-spec-duty-pvd-9-17-pvd-9mm-17-unpackaged/c83734/)which will come standard with the M9A3. Based on my experience with the 17 rounders, I'm a bit concerned that this is the magazine Beretta has chosen for the M9A3. I've yet to acquire or test this new magazine, but I should be getting a chance to examine a M9A3 in the next two weeks, and I plan to take a close look to see if it is simply a PVD coated version of the current 17 round magazine, or if the floor plate has been addressed. I'm hopeful that this new magazine will be supported by spare parts, but I've seen no such indication (yet).

Check-Mate Industries (CMI) 15 round Magazines

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-5_zpstdihxrsq.jpg
(Check-Mate Industries 15 Round Magazine (2005) - L, Check-Mate Industries 15 Round Magazine (2014) - R)

The troubles of the issued Check-Mate Industries (CMI) magazines have been discussed at length elsewhere. I originally acquired four (new in wrapper) of the military issue CMI magazines in a trade when I purchased my M9. All were 2005 manufacture with the dry film coating. Obviously considering my less than stellar experience with the plastic floor plate on the Beretta 17 round magazines, the metal floor plate on the CMI magazines is a welcome feature. Unfortunately, these magazines often produce failures to lock back in both the M9 and the Brigadier Tactical. CMI has a lifetime warranty on the magazines and quickly replaced the first two that had developed problems, as well as providing new springs and followers for the other two magazines. The new magazines have not been much of an improvement, and also have occasional failures to lock back on an empty magazine. As such, I've also relegated the CMI magazines to range use only. While I was pleased with CMI's customer service, there are better options.

Mec-Gar 18 Round Magazines

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-16_zpsrdccatoj.jpg
(Mec-Gar 18 Round Magazine - L, 18 Round 'Original Equipment' Magazine - R)

The Mec-Gar magazines are highly recommended on this forum, and in my own experience this is the best Beretta 92 magazine available. It has the most capacity of any of the standard sized magazines, yet the 18 rounder is easy to load. I've dropped these magazines on concrete countless times, and I've seen no indication of damage. These magazines have proven functionally reliable and durable. A little bit of searching on the internet will reveal these magazines are available from a number of sources for under $20.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/Mags-15_zps0btbn9fc.jpg
(Mec-Gar 18 Round Magazine - L, 18 Round 'Original Equipment' Magazine - R)

I've discovered two versions of this magazine, both available from CDNN. Aside from the manufacturer markings, the magazines appear identical. One is listed as a Mec-Gar Magazine (http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/92f-9mm-18rd-flush-anti.html#.VePHhHiLGng), and Mec-Gar is engraved on both the front of the magazine and on the side. The other is listed simply as 'Original Equipment' (http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/beretta-92-18rd-9mm-anti-friction-magazine.html#.VePHeniLGng), but is not engraved Mec-Gar (though both magazines are marked 'Made in Italy' and 'M9' in identical fonts). Those markings appear to account for the $9 price difference on CDNN, as in all other ways these magazines appear identical.

The 18 round Mec-Gar is my preferred magazine for carry and practice.

backtrail540
08-31-2015, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the info!! I just purchased 10 of the "Original Equipment" magazines for under $15 each from the link Hizzie provided earlier. Good to know they are good to go.

Jeep
08-31-2015, 12:08 PM

Buy one.

On your recommendation I bought one and installed one in an m9 (with a 14# spring for starters) yesterday. The installation was easy for this one--just a bit of filing on the over travel stop. The DA trigger is now far smoother and almost all the stacking is gone. I will have to test it over the next month or so, and try the 12# and 13# springs as well.

So far, though, it seems to be an excellent investment.

Kyle Reese
08-31-2015, 02:20 PM
On your recommendation I bought one and installed one in an m9 (with a 14# spring for starters) yesterday. The installation was easy for this one--just a bit of filing on the over travel stop. The DA trigger is now far smoother and almost all the stacking is gone. I will have to test it over the next month or so, and try the 12# and 13# springs as well.

So far, though, it seems to be an excellent investment.

Glad you like it! [emoji3]

JSGlock34
09-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Looks like the M9A3 is starting to hit the market...also appears to be arriving in 'FS' and 'G' configurations (different SKUs). Perhaps the user conversion between FS and G variants is an after-market kit or part? MSRP is $1100 (I've seen one advertisement at $999) - likely a disappointment to many who thought that Beretta's promises of delivering the M9A3 at M9 prices to the Army (as a Engineering Change Proposal) would also apply to the civilian market prices...still, good to see these in production.

Lipseys - FS (http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BEJS92M9A3M)

Lipseys - G (http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BEJS92M9A3GM)

Matt O
09-06-2015, 11:08 AM
MSRP is $1100 (I've seen one advertisement at $999)[/URL]

That is indeed rather disappointing. I'm sure that there will be an initial round of decent sales, but that price will likely keep the M9A3 from becoming a popular item. I was originally planning on getting one or two, but not at $1k and certainly not at $1k+.

GardoneVT
09-06-2015, 11:15 AM
That is indeed rather disappointing. I'm sure that there will be an initial round of decent sales, but that price will likely keep the M9A3 from becoming a popular item. I was originally planning on getting one or two, but not at $1k and certainly not at $1k+.

The price ain't bad for what you get. Objectively it compares well with the "Enhanced" Sig P series pistols. Unfortunately SEAL Team Darkmatter doesn't use the M9A3 ,so I foresee it languishing in the display case.

JSGlock34
09-06-2015, 11:29 AM

I agree. If Beretta is trying to offer the M9A3 as the successor to the M9/M9A1, the price needs to align closer to those models. At $1100 MSRP, it is aligning towards the Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical 92G and 92G-SD end of the spectrum, which is a very different market (Beretta 92 aficionados vice mainstream buyers).

Matt O
09-06-2015, 11:38 AM
The price ain't bad for what you get. Objectively it compares well with the "Enhanced" Sig P series pistols. Unfortunately SEAL Team Darkmatter doesn't use the M9A3 ,so I foresee it languishing in the display case.

Considering this is $400-500 more than an M9A1 or 92A1 and at least $200-300 more than a brigadier model, it may compare with sig prices, but that doesn't make the price reasonable for what you're getting.

I think its languishing will have much more to do with Beretta overestimating what people are willing to pay than its military bonafides or lack thereof.

ralph
09-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Well, one also has to remember that the MSRP, and the actual street price (that is, the price you'll see them actually selling for) will probably be different, I wouldn't be surprised if the street price is more like $7-800. That would be reasonable. I bought a Vertec awhile back, and my only gripe is the safety lever...I'll probably send the slide in to Wilson for a "G" conversion, For me, It'd be a lot cheaper than buying a M9A3, as there isn't a lot of difference.

DGI
09-06-2015, 12:57 PM
$700-800 would work. $1100 is out of the question.

Heck, I just now bought a 92G-SD that came with a butt load of extras for $1000 Shipped. Having the Wilson at ~1200 really makes any "regular production" pistol thats close to that price point seem extra ridiculous...

K.O.A.M.
09-06-2015, 01:01 PM
That price puts into direct competition with the 92G-SD and within a few bucks of the Wilson Berettas. It better do something those don't to get me interested.

GardoneVT
09-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Considering this is $400-500 more than an M9A1 or 92A1 and at least $200-300 more than a brigadier model, it may compare with sig prices, but that doesn't make the price reasonable for what you're getting.

I think its languishing will have much more to do with Beretta overestimating what people are willing to pay than its military bonafides or lack thereof.

The M9A3 isn't a mass market gun. It's the handgun equivalent of a loaded F150 Lariat.
For every one M9A3 that sells, twenty bread n butter Glocks and M&Ps will leave the store. The piece is a bragging rights gun for the collector who thinks two gun safes full of pistols is a starter collection.

LHS
09-06-2015, 01:28 PM
$1100 is retarded money. I could definitely see paying a premium for this over the standard M9A1, but not that much. You could buy an M9A1, a G slide and have night sights added for about that price.

LHS
09-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Well, I stand somewhat corrected. Per my contact at BUSA, it comes with the conversion parts to swap between FS and G configs, 3x 17rd PVD mags, a threaded bbl and night sights. That makes the price a bit more reasonable.

Dagga Boy
09-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info!! I just purchased 10 of the "Original Equipment" magazines for under $15 each from the link Hizzie provided earlier. Good to know they are good to go.

Ditto. Very satisfied so far. Got two complete rotational sets of five mags each, all 18's. Very positive function with slide lock back, drop free, and insertion. I will likely range test them and the gun next week. Very happy getting 10 magazines that are good OEM equipment for under $150.00.

JTQ
09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
... a threaded bbl...
That, I think, is the key thing that will justify the price. I have no use for a threaded barrel or anything to attach to it, so I'm probably not going to be a M9A3 customer, but there are bunches of folks that are dropping a couple hundred extra bucks to add a threaded barrel to, you name the handgun, and you now can justify the cost of the M9A3 to those folks.

LHS
09-06-2015, 06:30 PM
That, I think, is the key thing that will justify the price. I have no use for a threaded barrel or anything to attach to it, so I'm probably not going to be a M9A3 customer, but there are bunches of folks that are dropping a couple hundred extra bucks to add a threaded barrel to, you name the handgun, and you now can justify the cost of the M9A3 to those folks.

Exactly. Start with a $750 Vertec. Have Wilson convert it to G for another $200 (factoring in shipping). A Gemtech threaded 92 barrel/locking block assembly adds another $200 (Although you could have Tooltech thread an existing barrel for about $75 if memory serves). Night sights are $175 if you want Tooltech to drill and tap them. The 17rd PVD mags are about $8 more per mag than standard 15rd mags. Spare grip panels with backstrap that replicates standard 92 contours has to cost something, probably somewhere around $25-$50.

So yeah, I can see where they get the cost. It's still high for me, and I probably won't end up getting one of these (I already have several various G-models, and a threaded bbl assembly, and am waiting to see if they resurrect the G compacts), but it's not as egregious as I first thought.

Suvorov
09-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Exactly. Start with a $750 Vertec. Have Wilson convert it to G for another $200 (factoring in shipping). A Gemtech threaded 92 barrel/locking block assembly adds another $200 (Although you could have Tooltech thread an existing barrel for about $75 if memory serves). Night sights are $175 if you want Tooltech to drill and tap them. The 17rd PVD mags are about $8 more per mag than standard 15rd mags. Spare grip panels with backstrap that replicates standard 92 contours has to cost something, probably somewhere around $25-$50.

Of course as a filthy subject of the Democratic People's Repulik of Kalifornia - this will be the road I have to take to get a M9A3 (sans threaded barrel of course - can't have that and what for since I can't own a can either.....).

Lyonsgrid
09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
I like the options the M9A3 offers...just wish it was available in black.

JAD
09-06-2015, 07:51 PM
overestimating what people are willing to pay than its military bonafides or lack thereof.

Oh, I don't know. Colt greatly overestimated what the MARSOC was worth, and everything worked out fine fo— well, maybe it's a little high.

dookie1481
09-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Oh, I don't know. Colt greatly overestimated what the MARSOC was worth, and everything worked out fine fo— well, maybe it's a little high.

Is there a surplus somewhere? Because they were non-existent for dealers to order for about a year and a half. And everyone that had one seemed to sell it at whatever price they desired.

If that's a stab at Colt's business practices, well, the M45 certainly wasn't what bankrupted them.

JAD
09-06-2015, 10:12 PM
If that's a stab at Colt's business practices, well, the M45 certainly wasn't what bankrupted them.

It was a poke more than a stab, but sure.

ralph
09-07-2015, 09:03 AM
I was looking over at CDNN and they have factory flat steel base plates for 92 mags for $2.99 each.. I'm going to try a couple on some 17 rnd mags I have.. I know it'll look as if the mag sticks out a little, but I'm not worried about that.. I'm thinking this might be a workable solution for the 17 rnd base plate issue.

breakingtime91
09-09-2015, 08:10 PM
So after I started training exclusively from appendix, I am rethinking my pistol choice. I think I'm gonna pick up a m9a1 compact and see how I like it. The gadget addresses part of my concern but I am still leery of constant draws at speed from appendix with a striker trigger. I also think a DA/SA gun will give me a warm and fussy feeling when a glock sometimes gives me the oh shit feeling.

45dotACP
09-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Their idea of "compact" is a funny one...but I love mine!

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
09-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Their idea of "compact" is a funny one...but I love mine!

isn't it equivalent to a g19?

45dotACP
09-09-2015, 09:12 PM
The PX4 thread had some comparison photos. A PX4 compact is a closer analogue but the grip length looks about the same. This is just going off photos though. I don't own a G19. Subjectively, it's a thick pistol but shootability is way up there especially with the 13 pound mainspring.

breakingtime91
09-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Beretta states that the beretta compact is 1.5 inches wide? They have to be measuring safety lever to safety lever..right?

The Apprentice
09-10-2015, 07:18 PM
My compact measures 1.38 at the grips and 1.5 at the safety levers. I really like mine but it I havent figured how to carry it comfortably. Maybe when I stop carrying around all these extra donuts.

breakingtime91
09-10-2015, 07:22 PM
My compact measures 1.38 at the grips and 1.5 at the safety levers. I really like mine but it I havent figured how to carry it comfortably. Maybe when I stop carrying around all these extra donuts.

ok, so with some wilson combat grips it will be pretty close but still wider then the glock..

45dotACP
09-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Does WC make thin grips for the compact?

breakingtime91
09-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Does WC make thin grips for the compact?

They sure do.

45dotACP
09-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Well lookee there and my paycheck just came in today too...

I mean who really needs groceries? 😄

breakingtime91
09-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Glad I could help :cool:

Gadfly
09-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Summit Gun Broker has

96FS Vertec $385
http://summitgunbroker.com/new-listings-1.html

92FS Centurion $379
http://summitgunbroker.com/new-listings-3.html

police trades....

Someone buy them up so I have an excuse as to why I did not...

Luke
09-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Summit Gun Broker has

96FS Vertec $385
http://summitgunbroker.com/new-listings-1.html

92FS Centurion $379
http://summitgunbroker.com/new-listings-3.html

police trades....

Someone buy them up so I have an excuse as to why I did not...

That vertec appears to have a more straight grip angle.. Don't knowing about beretta but if you go to there website they're all curved.. Can you change the grips around to change the back strap shape?

JTQ
09-11-2015, 12:17 PM
That vertec appears to have a more straight grip angle.. Don't knowing about beretta but if you go to there website they're all curved.. Can you change the grips around to change the back strap shape?
I may not understand your question, but the straight grip is the significant feature of the Vertec models.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-vertec-inox/

Luke
09-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Thank you sir. I looked on there website and couldn't find it. Thanks again!

WobblyPossum
09-11-2015, 02:31 PM
https://www.botach.com/beretta-m9a3-9mm-pistol/

M9A3 available for pre-order at Botach. $948 shipped. It's about $200 more than I was hoping for. I'll hold off for a while and see if the price eventually comes down to the ~$800 range. I'm pretty close to buying an M9A1 and a 92G from Bud's, putting the 92G slide on the M9A1 to make an M9A1G and selling the resulting 92FS to recoup some of the cost.

ETA: Completely unrelated question, but is anyone interested in buying a new 92FS? ;)

JSGlock34
09-12-2015, 05:22 PM

Buy one.

Fred is right - the Wilson trigger bar is money well spent. It definitely smoothed out the DA trigger pull on my Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical 92G, and the SA trigger break is fantastic. I'm running mine with the 13# mainspring.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/ARM_2805_zps4arklxps.jpg

Clobbersaurus
09-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Clean your extractors Gents.

At my last match I had a double feed with my Elite II. Though I haven't entirely ruled out a mag issue I figured it was time to give the extractor a clean. I haven't done it since I bought the gun, over 6K rounds ago...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04061_zps2e1ie5b8.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04061_zps2e1ie5b8.jpg.html)

This is the chunk of filth that came off it:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04064_zpsnmxumhlk.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04064_zpsnmxumhlk.jpg.html)

This is the extractor channel, note you can't see the firing pin spring.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04063_zpsb05ltxsr.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04063_zpsb05ltxsr.jpg.html)

There it is! That big chunk of crap was sitting on top of it. The chunks of carbon are semi hard and don't break up when you take them out. It's all clean and lubed now. I kinda feel bad for treating it that way....sorta.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04065_zpsoawlbkcu.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04065_zpsoawlbkcu.jpg.html)

GJM
09-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Would a squirt of gunscrubber or brake cleaner have gotten the gunk off without disassembly?

Clobbersaurus
09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
I kinda doubt it. There's not much room for debris to ooze out around the firing pin channel or around the extractor. I lubed it every time I cleaned the gun, which was fairly infrequently. But I had never disassembled the extractor until today.

Removing the extractor is dead simple though. I used a small allen key and small hammer. I'll probably clean it every 2k or so now.

A.G.
09-13-2015, 12:12 PM
I kinda doubt it. There's not much room for debris to ooze out around the firing pin channel or around the extractor. I lubed it every time I cleaned the gun, which was fairly infrequently. But I had never disassembled the extractor until today.

Removing the extractor is dead simple though. I used a small allen key and small hammer. I'll probably clean it every 2k or so now.
I have noticed the same phenomenon with my 92FS. The extractor needs to be removed and it and the channel cleaned every few thousand rounds. The gunk builds up to the point I am surprised the extractor can grab the case at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Clobbersaurus
09-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I have to admit I was kinda shocked to see so much build up of filth. You don't get that much accumulation around the important stuff with Glocks.

But then again, Glocks have no soul, so that probably has something to do with it.

breakingtime91
09-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I have to admit I was kinda shocked to see so much build up of filth. You don't get that much accumulation around the important stuff with Glocks.

But then again, Glocks have no soul, so that probably has something to do with it.

Well, I think it shows how well a berretta will run, even with that much filth. Not a huge deal, especially since its an easy thing to remedy!

jondoe297
09-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty close to buying an M9A1 and a 92G from Bud's, putting the 92G slide on the M9A1 to make an M9A1G and selling the resulting 92FS to recoup some of the cost.

That's exactly what I did. It's an excellent combination.

shootist26
09-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Same here. M9a1G is a great way to go

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sigfan26
09-13-2015, 08:59 PM

At my last match I had a double feed with my Elite II. Though I haven't entirely ruled out a mag issue I figured it was time to give the extractor a clean. I haven't done it since I bought the gun, over 6K rounds ago...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04061_zps2e1ie5b8.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04061_zps2e1ie5b8.jpg.html)

This is the chunk of filth that came off it:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04064_zpsnmxumhlk.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04064_zpsnmxumhlk.jpg.html)

This is the extractor channel, note you can't see the firing pin spring.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04063_zpsb05ltxsr.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04063_zpsb05ltxsr.jpg.html)

There it is! That big chunk of crap was sitting on top of it. The chunks of carbon are semi hard and don't break up when you take them out. It's all clean and lubed now. I kinda feel bad for treating it that way....sorta.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04065_zpsoawlbkcu.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04065_zpsoawlbkcu.jpg.html)

I have noticed the same phenomenon with my 92FS. The extractor needs to be removed and it and the channel cleaned every few thousand rounds. The gunk builds up to the point I am surprised the extractor can grab the case at all.

Did you guys re stake your extractor retaining pin? Gonna need to do that to mine soon, and wondering if/how I'm gonna re stake the pin.

Clobbersaurus
09-13-2015, 09:12 PM
No, I didn't re-stake it. It went in fairly snugly and I doubt that I will have an issue with it coming out. It's a good point though and I'll probably re-stake it.

On my Girsan I had to re-stake it twice, but it wasn't hard with a small hammer and punch.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC03931_zps4ucx2lo0.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC03931_zps4ucx2lo0.jpg.html)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC03932_zpsnfz4xebq.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC03932_zpsnfz4xebq.jpg.html)

Trooper224
09-14-2015, 01:02 AM
I've removed my training pistol's extractor several times and haven't needed to restake it yet.

Jeep
09-14-2015, 09:18 AM
I've removed my training pistol's extractor several times and haven't needed to restake it yet.

I haven't needed to either. The option is always there, but the pins already fit pretty tightly.

GJM
09-14-2015, 11:34 AM
I am doing a Gunsite course in October with the Brig Tac.

I find the 92 much harder to reload than the Glock and CZ, and have been working Beretta dry fire reloads hard. It has been somewhat frustrating, as I will have a really good run, and then bobble some reloads, for no apparent reason. I spent some time trying to figure out the issue, including looking at the magazine and magwell dimension. On the Brig Tac, the sweet spot seems to be dead center or biased forward -- meaning a miss slightly forward goes in, where being off rearward or either side, bounces the magazine off. This is reverse a P2000, for example, where the front of the mag well has plastic protruding down, waiting to foul a reload.

So far, this new approach seems to be yielding more consistent, good reloads, and when I miss a reload, it seems to be related to an insertion biased rear or to the side. Anyone else noticed something similar?

f308gt4
09-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Would a squirt of gunscrubber or brake cleaner have gotten the gunk off without disassembly?

I read over on the beretta forum that if you use brake cleaner (or gunscrubber) from the get go, squirting it into the channel, that you will not get the buildup over time. i.e., preventative measure. I've been doing that on my 92, and so far, so good.

Sal Picante
09-14-2015, 12:26 PM
George,

Here's my trick: Buy some new MecGar magazines - they have a taper that eliminates the "lip" on the front of the magazine.
(http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beretta-92_M9-Magazine-9mm-18-Round-Mec-Gar/productinfo/NW388/ - In case you're wondering...)

Additionally, just for reference, the 18rd MecGar's fit the CZ basepad from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop (http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/CZ-75-85-SP01-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Basepad-p/cz-sf1-a.htm)

This mimics the feel of match mags I was running with the CZ. I can now reload my Berettas faster than my CZ. But that's because I've been practicing a lot :cool:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/7e192878-2883-4920-a664-50bf4b19aca1/2015-09-14%2012.13.38.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/5f338b0d-373b-4f58-8c61-be5da6217f1f/2015-09-14%2012.13.54.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/127ad669-7b43-4e31-8b35-1e743bdd8f5c/2015-09-14%2012.14.09.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/e650e49b-d57e-454f-88a1-f46b4084835c/2015-09-14%2012.14.31.jpg

Sal Picante
09-14-2015, 12:31 PM

What powder are you running? I never really had issues when running titegroup... My practice gun hardly got cleaned except when a TRS would break...

That said, since the Beretta is super easy to field strip - pretty simple to drop parts in the ultrasonic and/or hose off with a bit of one-shot cleaner/etc...

A.G.
09-14-2015, 12:36 PM
I haven't needed to either. The option is always there, but the pins already fit pretty tightly.
Likewise I have never restaked mine.

GJM
09-14-2015, 12:56 PM
George,

Here's my trick: Buy some new MecGar magazines - they have a taper that eliminates the "lip" on the front of the magazine.
(http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beretta-92_M9-Magazine-9mm-18-Round-Mec-Gar/productinfo/NW388/ - In case you're wondering...)

Additionally, just for reference, the 18rd MecGar's fit the CZ basepad from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop (http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/CZ-75-85-SP01-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Basepad-p/cz-sf1-a.htm)

This mimics the feel of match mags I was running with the CZ. I can now reload my Berettas faster than my CZ. But that's because I've been practicing a lot :cool:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/7e192878-2883-4920-a664-50bf4b19aca1/2015-09-14%2012.13.38.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/5f338b0d-373b-4f58-8c61-be5da6217f1f/2015-09-14%2012.13.54.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/127ad669-7b43-4e31-8b35-1e743bdd8f5c/2015-09-14%2012.14.09.jpg

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s353/sh/af648798-3c66-477f-a4c5-33eed6cde6d9/7513f91d77494ed3/res/e650e49b-d57e-454f-88a1-f46b4084835c/2015-09-14%2012.14.31.jpg

Les, thanks!

Through trial and error, I realized the MecGar reloaded better (only have one MecGar with me at the cabin) than the PVD magazines, which look so pretty. Last night, I filched a Stoeger base pad off a CZ mag for the one M9 MecGar I have. Definitely helps.

I heard Dave Olhasso trimmed the lips on his MecGar mags, saying if you compare the 226 MecGar to the M9 MecGar, the Beretta lips are taller. That apparently helps.

Any thoughts on the front of the mag well being more forgiving?

Sal Picante
09-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Honestly, the CZ has a large, radiused opening up front. The Beretta still has a lip...

Placement and practice mean a lot. I've found that trying to keep the index finger on longer to push the front of the magazines back slightly (into the well) seems to have helped. I wish I could be more specific, but it is a lot of trial and error...

Right now, on a good run in live-fire, I'm ~.8... I'm not landing it every time, so when I mess up, I'll drop to 1.2 par and get the feel back/right, then start speeding it up again. At this point, I'm calling it "good enough" and moving on in my training/reacclimation process...

JSGlock34
09-14-2015, 07:21 PM
On the Brig Tac, the sweet spot seems to be dead center or biased forward -- meaning a miss slightly forward goes in, where being off rearward or either side, bounces the magazine off.

I had a conversation with Ernest Langdon that touched on this point last week. He noted that double column magazines tend to be forgiving if you're off to a side when reloading, but being off to the front or rear is where the magazine gets hung up. Hence, the design of the Wilson magazine guide (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Mag-Guide-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/676/).

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/676-004.jpg

Ernest had one on each of the two 92s with him (pictured below - a Brigadier Tactical and his custom Vertec/M9A1), and on his recommendation I purchased one from him for my own Brig Tac.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/ARM_2761_zpsiyw964q9.jpg

I only had the opportunity to run it for one set of reload drills, but my initial impressions are positive, and generally when Ernest recommends something I listen. Besides, I imagine it has to be of more utility than the lanyard loop.

GJM
09-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Not Production legal!:(

JSGlock34
09-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Not Production legal!:(

But legal at Gunsite!

GJM
09-14-2015, 07:48 PM
But legal at Gunsite!

Not sure-- it ain't no gamer school there. (One is in the mail to me right now.)

JSGlock34
09-14-2015, 08:02 PM
On another note, has anyone had Wilson dehorn their Beretta 92 series pistol? I'm seriously considering sending my Brigadier Tactical to Wilson for their carry dehorn and an Armor Tuff refinish. When I first bought the pistol I found the edges around the magazine release very sharp and uncomfortable. Though it pained me to do so, I had to break these edges. That was a marked improvement, but I found a moderate round count over a day and half of shooting the Brig Tac last week still produced a hot spot and blister. While I've already broken out the file again, I want to ensure that before I take this pistol to a more intensive training course that I've addressed this issue.

GJM
09-14-2015, 08:07 PM
They dehorned my 92A1 so much, it is like butter in the hands. Then refinished with green and black Armortuff. Gorgeous job.

GJM
09-14-2015, 08:11 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/WCB2_zps08d5d653.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/WCB2_zps08d5d653.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/WCB7_zpsd2f3ead9.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/WCB7_zpsd2f3ead9.jpg.html)

Clobbersaurus
09-14-2015, 08:29 PM
What powder are you running? I never really had issues when running titegroup... My practice gun hardly got cleaned except when a TRS would break...

That said, since the Beretta is super easy to field strip - pretty simple to drop parts in the ultrasonic and/or hose off with a bit of one-shot cleaner/etc...

The majority has been American Eagle 124g, but I've run a bunch or re-manufactured stuff as well.

Clobbersaurus
09-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Les, thanks!

Through trial and error, I realized the MecGar reloaded better (only have one MecGar with me at the cabin) than the PVD magazines, which look so pretty. Last night, I filched a Stoeger base pad off a CZ mag for the one M9 MecGar I have. Definitely helps.

I heard Dave Olhasso trimmed the lips on his MecGar mags, saying if you compare the 226 MecGar to the M9 MecGar, the Beretta lips are taller. That apparently helps.

Any thoughts on the front of the mag well being more forgiving?

GJM, I exclusively use MecGar mags. Coming from a G17, I found the bevelled well on the Elite II a real treat compared to the well on the Glock. I do find when I get a bit off center to the side it will result in me bouncing the mag out of the well. Front or back is much more forgiving. I find with the Beretta, tucking the gun closer to my body insures a better reload as it positions the mag well a little more in line with my mag insertion. Getting a visual lock on the mag well helps me a lot.

I do find that spending a week practising reloads with my Centurion, which has a non bevelled mag well to really speed up my Elite II reloads.

Sigfan26
09-14-2015, 10:04 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/WCB2_zps08d5d653.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/WCB2_zps08d5d653.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/WCB7_zpsd2f3ead9.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/WCB7_zpsd2f3ead9.jpg.html)

I'm super anal retentive about things... So don't take this the wrong way... But I can't stand the way the checkering doesn't match the border of the frame's original checkering . If they could do it without overshooting the borders, I'd give them 3 guns in a heartbeat.

Sal Picante
09-15-2015, 11:09 AM
They dehorned my 92A1 so much, it is like butter in the hands. Then refinished with green and black Armortuff. Gorgeous job.

I dehorned my hands by using a Beretta often...

On the downside, I can't even touch my wife now without her recoiling ... Rough stuff indeed.

johnson
09-15-2015, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know how many pounds the mainspring is on the 8000F Cougar? Todd mentioned years ago that it's lighter than the "D" spring but should be changed more frequently (every ~4-5k IIRC) in case of ignition problems.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammer-springs/spring-hammer-all-f-g-models-sku913100118-27779-56411.aspx

MGW
09-15-2015, 03:01 PM
I'm still trying to read through this entire thread so forgive me if its a repeat. The Wilson 92GSD seems like an amazing bargain for what it is. I've been kicking around buy an M9 and converting it to a G model, working the trigger over, new sights etc. It would strictly be a fun/IDPA gun.

Would I be better off in the long run just ordering the Wilson? I can't imagine that these pistols will get any cheaper over the next five years. By the time I buy a new M9 and add the parts I would be getting close to $800?

Sigfan26
09-15-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm still trying to read through this entire thread so forgive me if its a repeat. The Wilson 92GSD seems like an amazing bargain for what it is. I've been kicking around buy an M9 and converting it to a G model, working the trigger over, new sights etc. It would strictly be a fun/IDPA gun.

Would I be better off in the long run just ordering the Wilson? I can't imagine that these pistols will get any cheaper over the next five years. By the time I buy a new M9 and add the parts I would be getting close to $800?

I'd look at getting a plain 92G and having the mag well beveled out. I've got both the BrigTac a a couple 92G's, and they both shoot about the same for me, ymmv. You will have a huge selection of holsters with this setup. If a light rail was important, I'd get the BrigTac or one of the new A3's when they drop.

dkm455
09-15-2015, 04:19 PM
I had a conversation with Ernest Langdon that touched on this point last week. He noted that double column magazines tend to be forgiving if you're off to a side when reloading, but being off to the front or rear is where the magazine gets hung up. Hence, the design of the Wilson magazine guide (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Mag-Guide-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/676/).

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/676-004.jpg

Ernest had one on each of the two 92s with him (pictured below - a Brigadier Tactical and his custom Vertec/M9A1), and on his recommendation I purchased one from him for my own Brig Tac.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/ARM_2761_zpsiyw964q9.jpg

I only had the opportunity to run it for one set of reload drills, but my initial impressions are positive, and generally when Ernest recommends something I listen. Besides, I imagine it has to be of more utility than the lanyard loop.

The 2 FDE pistols in the photo appear to be M9A3s.

JSGlock34
09-15-2015, 06:49 PM
They were indeed M9A3s (I believe early production prototypes).

I think the M9A3 makes a tremendous amount of sense to me for military procurement, but I'm smitten with my Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical 92G.

Lyonsgrid
09-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know how many pounds the mainspring is on the 8000F Cougar? Todd mentioned years ago that it's lighter than the "D" spring but should be changed more frequently (every ~4-5k IIRC) in case of ignition problems.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammer-springs/spring-hammer-all-f-g-models-sku913100118-27779-56411.aspx

Stock Full Size 92 main spring - 20#
"D" spring - 16#
Cougar F - 14#

This seems to be the most cited rates that I can find.

ReverendMeat
09-15-2015, 11:56 PM

It depends on which features about the Brig Tac you like. The combination of railed frame and brigadier slide is going to cost you no matter what, but if you're thinking about converting a regular ol' M9 to G config, just buy a 92G, easily had for 550ish. Then send it to Wilson, where an action job and new sights will run you about 200 or so.

johnson
09-16-2015, 01:07 AM
I tried to do some target shooting with the compact today and I still can't shoot it quite as well as the CZ. Besides accuracy, the Beretta just seems cumbersome for me with the fatter grips and different feeling in the recoil...sluggish is the word I would describe it. I weighed the slides and they're pretty similar at 1 lb 0.2 oz for the CZ and 1 lb 0.7 oz for the Beretta.

http://i.imgur.com/pCIqFth.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AbtA1a0.jpg

I also DIY'd an over travel stop using a cut out SIM card attached by some high strength double sided tape.

http://i.imgur.com/kO5W6wo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QS0EJIY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lqw2i9h.jpg

MGW
09-16-2015, 06:57 AM
So G&R has blue label 92Gs for $515. Shipping and transfer would put it around the $550 posted above. A buddy has a like new M9, not sure if it an A1, that he's considering getting rid of for slightly less. IDPA package from Wilson looks like it fits what I wanting. They state that a M9A1 base pistol is required for that package. Does that mean that a G model base pistol can't be made SSP legal with the changes listed?

backtrail540
09-24-2015, 06:34 PM
For those interested, shooters connection has some BrigTacs ready to go. I bought mine from them earlier this year.

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Wilson-Combat-Beretta-Wilson-Combat-92G-Brigadier-Tactical-9mm-P3582.aspx

Whiskey_Bravo
09-26-2015, 01:44 AM
Carry gear.

Range gear.

Home defense configuration. Still need a Lightbearing holster for this set up.

All kydex gear provided by the forever classy, Mr. Tony Mayer.

YVK
09-26-2015, 09:17 AM
I weighed the slides and they're pretty similar at 1 lb 0.2 oz for the CZ and 1 lb 0.7 oz for the Beretta.

]

How'd you weigh slides? I don't have a full sized CZ but I have several Beretta and none of their slides weighed over 12.5 or so. For the full length models, not Compact like yours.

Sal Picante
09-26-2015, 12:21 PM
I tried to do some target shooting with the compact today and I still can't shoot it quite as well as the CZ. Besides accuracy, the Beretta just seems cumbersome for me with the fatter grips and different feeling in the recoil...sluggish is the word I would describe it. I weighed the slides and they're pretty similar at 1 lb 0.2 oz for the CZ and 1 lb 0.7 oz for the Beretta.

What load are you running? For CZ's I've had to load short - for Beretta's I'v found that I needed to load longer 1.100 to 1.125
Powder charge is ~ same for each, at 4.0gr Titegroup. I'm using a 124gr Precision Delta HP.

Loading the short rounds into the Beretta, I experience many flyers and loading long has alleviated that.

Edwin
09-27-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm loading 1.150" (3.7grn, Xtreme 147grn) HP-38 on my 92.

JSGlock34
10-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Just got my Brigadier Tactical back from Wilson Combat today. It already had a great trigger tune using the Wilson Combat trigger bar (if you're going to add one part to your 92, this is it). I had the frame dehorned, and I asked them to be pretty aggressive around the trigger guard and magazine release area. I also had the gun refinished in Armor Tuff. I decided to go with a subtle two tone (black slide and gray frame) that I think turned out terrific. I took some pictures, but had to play around a bit with the photo editor to bring out the gray.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/WCBeretta-1_zpsjnepufp0.jpg

breakingtime91
10-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Just got my Brigadier Tactical back from Wilson Combat today. It already had a great trigger tune using the Wilson Combat trigger bar (if you're going to add one part to your 92, this is it). I had the frame dehorned, and I asked them to be pretty aggressive around the trigger guard and magazine release area. I also had the gun refinished in Armor Tuff. I decided to go with a subtle two tone (black slide and gray frame) that I think turned out terrific. I took some pictures, but had to play around a bit with the photo editor to bring out the gray.

that is a gorgeous pistol.

JAD
10-10-2015, 05:25 AM
I have similar two-tone on a MARS pistol that I love a lot. Well done. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/10/ace951d53d9a754eb7a93e12ee9f91f8.jpg

Jared
10-10-2015, 06:11 AM
Does the Vertec use a different hammer strut than the regular framed 92's or is mine out of spec? Regular Beretta springs go right in just fine. Wilson chrome silicon springs will not fit around my Vertec hammer strut at all. First I suspected the spring was out of spec, but it went right in the next one I tried it in.

ralph
10-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Does the Vertec use a different hammer strut than the regular framed 92's or is mine out of spec? Regular Beretta springs go right in just fine. Wilson chrome silicon springs will not fit around my Vertec hammer strut at all. First I suspected the spring was out of spec, but it went right in the next one I tried it in.

I'm running a 16# WC hammer spring in my Vertec...It went right in, of course I had also switched hammers to a Elite II hammer at the time, and a all steel trigger, but had no problems installing anything.

Jared
10-10-2015, 11:46 AM
That's the exact hammer spring, hammer, etc I've got in my Vertec. My hammer strut must be out of spec or something.

Dave J
10-17-2015, 07:53 PM
I just noticed that Wilson has introduced flat wire recoil springs for the 92-series guns.

Full Size (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/752FS14/)

Compact/Centurion (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Compact_Centurion-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/752CP14/)

Anyone tried one out yet?

GJM
10-17-2015, 08:00 PM
I just noticed that Wilson has introduced flat wire recoil springs for the 92-series guns.

Full Size (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/752FS14/)

Compact/Centurion (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Compact_Centurion-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/752CP14/)

Anyone tried one out yet?

yep, and good.

ralph
10-17-2015, 08:18 PM
yep, and good.

Is the use of the shok-buff a requirement with this set up? I've never been a fan of them..

GJM
10-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Is the use of the shok-buff a requirement with this set up? I've never been a fan of them..

Nope.

ralph
10-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Nope.

Thanks! I'm going to give one some serious thought.. Not sure I buy into the idea of it being the last recoil spring you'll buy for your Beretta 92, But if it can last as long as say, a HK recoil spring (20,000rnds) I'd be happy..

Trooper224
10-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks! I'm going to give one some serious thought.. Not sure I buy into the idea of it being the last recoil spring you'll buy for your Beretta 92, But if it can last as long as say, a HK recoil spring (20,000rnds) I'd be happy..

This was not my experience with Wilson's flatwire spring for the 1911, far from it. I won't waste my money giving it another go with the 92.

Sal Picante
10-18-2015, 05:53 PM

I've got a couple of these - on my carry gun, I run an 11.5# flat spring... Seems ok.

For the competition guns, they don't make 'em light enough. 9# Wolff is still the go-to.

Clobbersaurus
10-24-2015, 08:49 AM
I bought this 92D Centurion yesterday. Just waiting for the transfer to go through before I receive it and then I'll document the 2000 round challenge in it's own thread here.

http://i.imgur.com/XGgbeVl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mtzGJwk.jpg

Trooper224
10-25-2015, 04:07 AM
I bet that's going to be a boring 2K challenge. Of my three 92's the pistol with the highest round count is over 10K without a problem.

Clobbersaurus
10-25-2015, 10:21 AM
I bet that's going to be a boring 2K challenge. Of my three 92's the pistol with the highest round count is over 10K without a problem.

If it makes it through, it will be my first Beretta to do so. I had a few failures to feed with my Elite II and my Girsan (Turkish 92 clone) didn't make it past 1250 without significant problems. The biggest issue is the amount of dry fire I do. By the time the gun gets to about 1000 rounds, coupled with all the dry fire, it is bone dry, which Beretta's don't like. I may try air tool oil as lube this time, which is made to resist oil blow out. I'm hoping this will keep the gun lubed longer, resulting in a more successful test.

JohnN
10-25-2015, 05:27 PM
If it makes it through, it will be my first Beretta to do so. I had a few failures to feed with my Elite II and my Girsan (Turkish 92 clone) didn't make it past 1250 without significant problems. The biggest issue is the amount of dry fire I do. By the time the gun gets to about 1000 rounds, coupled with all the dry fire, it is bone dry, which Beretta's don't like. I may try air tool oil as lube this time, which is made to resist oil blow out. I'm hoping this will keep the gun lubed longer, resulting in a more successful test.

Have you tried grease?

WobblyPossum
10-25-2015, 06:50 PM
So, has anyone heard any updates on when M9A3s are going to start hitting the shelves?

Clobbersaurus
10-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Have you tried grease?

No I haven't, is there a brand you recommend?

Sigfan26
10-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Slip 2000 EWL 30Weight

JohnN
10-25-2015, 08:04 PM
I've used several but I am currently using Lucas gun grease. Gray Custom Guns currently recommends this product.

ReverendMeat
10-25-2015, 09:47 PM

My 92G couldn't pass the 2k challenge. Though maybe if I initially used a lube other than crisco it would've fared better.

So, has anyone heard any updates on when M9A3s are going to start hitting the shelves?

I checked Sports South the other day and they have four different SKUs of M9A3 listed, with pictures. I'd bet they'll be available six months from now.

OnionsAndDragons
10-25-2015, 11:28 PM

Slip EWG is good.

We started trying the Lucas Oil grease when Hannah got her first Sig this year. It's legit. She put 1k through it at class, and almost 2k more since, and I haven't noticed any real marring on the rails yet.

I like the consistency of the Lucas grease so far.

Trooper224
10-26-2015, 08:48 AM

I've used Plastilube for years, with excellent rsults. This is only because I have a case of the stuff from my rifle competition days. Other than that, Mobile 1 Synthetic grease works great.

jondoe297
10-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Slip 2000 EWL 30Weight

Second that. I've had excellent results with EWL30.

Matt O
10-26-2015, 09:18 AM
I usually use either Slip 2000 or Lubriplate. I've got a can of lubriplate that I'm pretty sure won't ever be used up in my lifetime.

23JAZ
10-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Can any show a size comparison with a 92 compact and a G19? Both height and width.

Stony Lane
10-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Could someone please weigh their Beretta compact (with the rail) with a full size magazine inserted?
I'm wondering if it would make weight for the new USPSA Carry Optics division. (maybe a C-More STS2 on top)

Sal Picante
10-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Could someone please weigh their Beretta compact (with the rail) with a full size magazine inserted?
I'm wondering if it would make weight for the new USPSA Carry Optics division. (maybe a C-More STS2 on top)

I'll check it out later tonight.

StraitR
10-29-2015, 09:59 PM
After work range therapy with my newly acquired 92A1. With the help of some feedback in my Beretta thread I have some Wilson parts on the way, and they'll be here tomorrow, but I cannot believe how accurate I am with even the current DA pull. The SA pull, while a bit rougher and heavier than expected, is easily manipulated and I figure it should clean up after a few thousand dry fire pulls.

I cut my teeth in the mid 90's with 1911's, then onto Glocks around 2005 with only a casual encounter or two with an M&P, 1911, and VP9 along the way. So, this is my first TDA, and so far, I'm quite pleased. It's my first Beretta, but it certainly will not be my last. Love at first range session.

Still trying to figure out what direction to go with the sights, but I'm happy with current POA/POI, which is about 2" high at 25 yards, best I can tell. Anyone know the factory rear sight height, or which WC battle sight height to get that keeps my current POA/POI?

And of course, a pic...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5633/22599293171_be5519301f_b.jpg

StraitR
10-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Well, working on a 92 isn't quite rocket science, but YouTube videos certainly make it look easier than it is. Nothing difficult, but there's certainly some finesse required that's not conveyed via video.

Parts:
Wilson SRT
Wilson (Wolff) TCU
Wilson 14# Hammer Spring
Wilson Low-pro single sided safety/decocker
Wilson Ultra Thin Grips

All in all, the trigger feels great, albeit the TCU (even after stoning/stropping) feels a little crunchy, but the LOP is perfect and it now feels more like a P220 grip which is fantastic. Overall, I'm extremely pleased. Only thing I'm lusting after now are sights. Anyway, lot's of Halloween family stuff this weekend, and my range now closes at 5pm starting tomorrow due to daylight savings, so I won't get to shoot it until next weekend.

Thanks again to all who helped.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/772/22636962011_08fca6d71e_b.jpg

Luke
10-30-2015, 11:43 PM
I really really want to shoot one of these pimped out beretta's! No one around here has any :(

Jared
10-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Well, working on a 92 isn't quite rocket science, but YouTube videos certainly make it look easier than it is. Nothing difficult, but there's certainly some finesse required that's not conveyed via video.

Parts:
Wilson SRT
Wilson (Wolff) TCU
Wilson 14# Hammer Spring
Wilson Ultra Thin Grips

All in all, the trigger feels great, albeit the TCU (even after stoning/stropping) feels a little crunchy, but the LOP is perfect and it now feels more like a P220 grip which is fantastic. Overall, I'm extremely pleased. Only thing I'm lusting after now are sights. Anyway, lot's of Halloween family stuff this weekend, and my range now closes at 5pm starting tomorrow due to daylight savings, so I won't get to shoot it until next weekend.

Does your Wilson SRT have any excessive play in it? There were quite a few reports of this with that part and it kept me from trying one out on my own stuff. Since you've likely got one from the most recent production batch, I'm curious to see if it's been rectified. Thanks!

StraitR
10-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Jared,

I read that about the Wilson SRT (maybe you mentioned it in the thread I started?) so I checked the stock trigger for side to side play for a baseline. After installing the new trigger, I immediately checked by using thumb and forefinger, and there is a little more in the SRT than the stock trigger in the most forward resting position.

BUT, if you remove the 1/8" worth of slack and put the trigger against the wall, even with the slightest of pressure, there is zero side to side play in the SRT. So, if having minor side to side play bothers you simply coonfingering the pistola while in your LayZboy watching Lethal Weapon, I guess it could be an issue, but there is no play after trigger is prepped or during trigger press. Basically, it doesn't affect the operation of the pistol in the slightest.

Some notes:

1) I was so eager to see if there was excessive play that I checked it immediately after dropping the SRT trigger, but before installing the spring, and there was considerable play. I did not remove the SRT and drop in the stock trigger (without spring) and check to see if it was similar. At this point, I was concerned, but I wasn't done with the install, so I was hoping it would shore up a bit after installing the spring and it did.

2) I also used the Wilson (Wolff) Standard Power TCU, which actually required minor fitting to slide into the trigger without binding. I used med/fine stones from a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker on each side, then polished the sides on a strop with 3000 and 6000 grit compound. It's pretty friggen slicked up. At first it was a little crunchy, which is a byproduct of the TCU from what I've seen. But, after a couple hours of standard dryfire and hundreds of quick, mindless (safety on) trigger manipulations last night to just work the components together, it's already much smoother, so I fully expect it to get better and better. Even as it stands currently, I would opt for the TCU again.

3) There is little to no play in the SRT when even resting unmolested in the SA position.

4) Given the benefits, for me, and the outcome after installation, I would (will) buy the SRT again, knowing what I know now.

5) This is obviously an example of one, after installing the particular parts I received, with the methods I used, and my subjective opinion of the outcome.

A.G.
10-31-2015, 12:22 PM

Parts:
Wilson SRT
Wilson (Wolff) TCU
Wilson 14# Hammer Spring
Wilson Ultra Thin Grips

You may find that the TCU smooths up quite a bit with use. Mine did.

Sal Picante
10-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Sorry about the wait... ;)

The weights are (with a MecGar magazine and Stoeger/Shockbottle basepad - 4oz, same as a Beretta Mag with rubber basepad):

Compact - 32.5 oz
Compact/Rail - 33 oz
Wilson BrigTac - 36 oz
Elite (old style frame) - 35 oz
92 G (new frame) - 35 oz

Used my kitchen scale which is good to .5 oz.
Looks like this is +- 1oz from published specs.
Rail adds ~.5 oz weight.

Looks like the rail/non-rail compact might make weight for Carry Optics - a Cmore RTS 2 adds ~2 oz?

Stony Lane
10-31-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the information!

Jared
10-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Jared,

I read that about the Wilson SRT (maybe you mentioned it in the thread I started?) so I checked the stock trigger for side to side play for a baseline. After installing the new trigger, I immediately checked by using thumb and forefinger, and there is a little more in the SRT than the stock trigger in the most forward resting position.

BUT, if you remove the 1/8" worth of slack and put the trigger against the wall, even with the slightest of pressure, there is zero side to side play in the SRT. So, if having minor side to side play bothers you simply coonfingering the pistola while in your LayZboy watching Lethal Weapon, I guess it could be an issue, but there is no play after trigger is prepped or during trigger press. Basically, it doesn't affect the operation of the pistol in the slightest.

Some notes:

1) I was so eager to see if there was excessive play that I checked it immediately after dropping the SRT trigger, but before installing the spring, and there was considerable play. I did not remove the SRT and drop in the stock trigger (without spring) and check to see if it was similar. At this point, I was concerned, but I wasn't done with the install, so I was hoping it would shore up a bit after installing the spring and it did.

2) I also used the Wilson (Wolff) Standard Power TCU, which actually required minor fitting to slide into the trigger without binding. I used med/fine stones from a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker on each side, then polished the sides on a strop with 3000 and 6000 grit compound. It's pretty friggen slicked up. At first it was a little crunchy, which is a byproduct of the TCU from what I've seen. But, after a couple hours of standard dryfire and hundreds of quick, mindless (safety on) trigger manipulations last night to just work the components together, it's already much smoother, so I fully expect it to get better and better. Even as it stands currently, I would opt for the TCU again.

3) There is little to no play in the SRT when even resting unmolested in the SA position.

4) Given the benefits, for me, and the outcome after installation, I would (will) buy the SRT again, knowing what I know now.

5) This is obviously an example of one, after installing the particular parts I received, with the methods I used, and my subjective opinion of the outcome.

Thanks for the info. I didn't mention it in your thread, mostly because I hadn't experienced it myself and I did the best I could to limit my responses in that thread to stuff I had personal experience with. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you, and I may try one myself now.

I think I remember someone having that TCU plated in NP3 to help smooth it out. Sounds like yours is coming along nicely without it though.

StraitR
10-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't mention it in your thread, mostly because I hadn't experienced it myself and I did the best I could to limit my responses in that thread to stuff I had personal experience with. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you, and I may try one myself now.

I think I remember someone having that TCU plated in NP3 to help smooth it out. Sounds like yours is coming along nicely without it though.

No worries, I know I read it somewhere. I did so much reading on this stuff, I can't remember if it was here or on Beretta Forums.

Sending the TCU off to get NP3 coated seems a little excessive, at least for me and my trigger taste. Then again, I shoot Glocks with no trigger enhancements other than changing G19 serrated triggers out for smooth faced G17 versions. Same for the M&P's I've owned, so I'm not a huge "must have an uber trigger" buff. That said, I am going to order a 13# hammer spring on my next Wilson order to see if I can lighten this one up a bit.

I took advantage of the new Amazon Prime Same Day shipping recently introduced here, so I ordered a Lyman Trigger pull gauge at 1am and it should be here shortly. If I was any more gay about Amazon, I'd probably have a tattoo. I'll take some readings after I get it and report back.

Now, if Wilson would only get their .270 Battlesight back in stock. The FO fronts, and rears (.280/.290.300), as well as some other parts, just went on sale.

StraitR
10-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Ok, the Lyman trigger pull gauge was delivered while we were out at Trunk or Treat. Good thing I live in a rural neighborhood on bigger lots, no trick or treaters to take my packages for a trick.

Anyway, here are some numbers, average of three pulls...

With Wilson TCU
DA - 9.4lbs
SA - 6.35lbs

Installed factory trigger spring
DA - 8.8lbs
SA - 4.15lbs

The factory spring makes the pull a little bit rougher, but considerably lighter on SA and while not as much on DA, it's still noticeable. For now, I'm leaving the factory spring in as I expect it will clean itself up with dry fire.

Jared, there seems to be a very small, but noticeable amount more side to side play in the SRT with the factory trigger spring than with the TCU. I didn't really take full note of this with the factory trigger, but my shooting buddy runs an M9A1, so I'll check his next weekend. Just an FYI.

ETA: I noticed tonight on the WC webpage that the TCU is NP3 coated already.

Jared
11-01-2015, 03:49 AM
That's a good bit of difference in SA, at least I think so. I wonder if Wilson is having them NP3'd, or if I just read something wrong about the Wolff unit (that's happened to me before on things).

Thanks for the additional data on the Wilson SRT. I'll still probably try one next time I'm ordering stuff from them. I'm waiting on the .270 sight to get back in too.

JTQ
11-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Compact - 32.5 oz
Compact/Rail - 33 oz
Wilson BrigTac - 36 oz
Elite (old style frame) - 35 oz
92 G (new frame) - 35 oz

That surprises me there is only one once difference between a railed Brigadier slide gun and a non-railed standard slide G model.

Sal Picante
11-01-2015, 01:40 PM
That surprises me there is only one once difference between a railed Brigadier slide gun and a non-railed standard slide G model.

Yeah - I was surprised too.

Look up the specs on the m9 vs m9a1... .6oz or so difference. It doesn't add much at all.

JSGlock34
11-02-2015, 05:00 PM
M9A3 now shipping... (http://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta-m9a3-handgun-now-shipping/)

RAM Engineer
11-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Anyone know the thread pitch on these barrels?

StraitR
11-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Anyone know the thread pitch on these barrels?

Not noted on Beretta's website, but every review I've read/seen has said 1/2" x 28.

backtrail540
11-03-2015, 01:52 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20151103_134541_zpsfsniebhj.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151103_134541_zpsfsniebhj.jpg.html)

Cz p09 basepads (for the magwell) from cz custom fit the "oem" 18 rd mags. Not sure about reliability yet, as i am just messing around in the gun room. It locks in with 21 easily.

The basepads fit on the 15 rd pvd mags but wont lock into the gun.

StraitR
11-04-2015, 01:28 AM
With my new found love of Beretta pistols, it's everything I can do to resist buying a Brig Tac, but I was wondering if there's any word on if/what/when Wilson is doing more Beretta collaborations?

breakingtime91
11-04-2015, 01:31 AM
With my new found love of Beretta pistols, it's everything I can do to resist buying a Brig Tac, but I was wondering if there's any word on if/what/when Wilson is doing more Beretta collaborations?

Are you carrying a beretta now?

StraitR
11-04-2015, 02:38 AM
Are you carrying a beretta now?

Hey BT. Nope, just an HD/range toy for now, but I'm already enamored with the TDA and how well I shoot it. For the record, I have zero will power and just ordered the Brig Tac from Shooters Connection (link from backtrail540, post #1125).

Until August, I carried a Wilson CQBE for almost a year, and I just got tired of the weight, so I don't see me carrying a 92A1 or Brig Tac with any regularity. In fact, the CQBE drove me to carry my G43 daily for over a month before blowing the dust off the 19 again. Given my new affection of TDA guns and EL's positive experiences, I may pick up a PX4 Storm Compact soon for carry purposes.

JSGlock34
11-04-2015, 06:22 AM

Bill Wilson stated on Beretta forum that he has two other projects planned with Beretta USA. He stated one will be smaller than a Brigadier Tactical and larger than a compact (Centurion?). He hinted that the other will be neither a 'FS' or 'G' (D or SAO?).

StraitR
11-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Bill Wilson stated on Beretta forum that he has two other projects planned with Beretta USA. He stated one will be smaller than a Brigadier Tactical and larger than a compact (Centurion?). He hinted that the other will be neither a 'FS' or 'G' (D or SAO?).

Thanks. I think I'll need at least one of those (Centurion).

OnionsAndDragons
11-04-2015, 12:13 PM

I really hope it is a D model. After getting to try ELs Wilson worked Beretta last year, I would love to have a D model with that extra butter.

breakingtime91
11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I think its stupid a compact has not been release with a dovetail front...and maybe a straight/slimmer grip

Luke
11-04-2015, 12:27 PM
How much smaller/different are the Wilson grips vs standard grips? I'm gonna go finger bang a stock one and was curious how different the brigtac would be.

StraitR
11-04-2015, 04:33 PM
How much smaller/different are the Wilson grips vs standard grips? I'm gonna go finger bang a stock one and was curious how different the brigtac would be.

As posted in another Beretta thread, here is a pic of the Wilson Ultra Thin grips. For me, these made a huge difference over the stock grip panels. The Brig Tac grips are not the Ultra Thin's, but I've read that they're still a little thinner than stock. I ordered the Brig Tac last night and received shipping confirmation at 10:30am this morning, so I'll be picking it up on Friday. I'll only have two Beretta's to work with, but I'll swap some grips around and take some pics/measurements to show comparisons of all three grips.

For now, here are the WC Ultra thins...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5768/22106494143_8e2cc7b9a3_c.jpg

GardoneVT
11-04-2015, 04:41 PM
As posted in another Beretta thread, here is a pic of the Wilson Ultra Thin grips. For me, these made a huge difference over the stock grip panels. The Brig Tac grips are not the Ultra Thin's, but I've read that they're still a little thinner than stock. I ordered the Brig Tac last night and received shipping confirmation at 10:30am this morning, so I'll be picking it up on Friday. I'll only have two Beretta's to work with, but I'll swap some grips around and take some pics/measurements to show comparisons of all three grips.

For now, here are the WC Ultra thins...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5768/22106494143_8e2cc7b9a3_c.jpg

Is that a 92FS or an M9?

When it comes to grip, there is a significant if subtle difference between the frames.

StraitR
11-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Is that a 92FS or an M9?

When it comes to grip, there is a significant if subtle difference between the frames.

It's 92A1. Pic at the top of this page.

GardoneVT
11-04-2015, 05:00 PM

OK. Should have the reduced backstrap design then. For many folks that little section makes or breaks the 92s grip comfort.

Jared
11-04-2015, 05:02 PM

GardoneVT is referencing the "dish" at the top of the backstrap that some US 92's have and some don't. Your Italian 92A1 has it. Heck, all railed 92's have it. On the US made 92's, I swear they just grab whatever frame is handy. The M9's do not have this reduction, and some US Inox 92's don't have it. I've heard of recent production 92G models that don't have it. My G does. I personally never really could tell a difference when gripping the gun back when I had an M9 that didn't have it vs all my other 92's that do have it. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't worry about it.

StraitR
11-04-2015, 06:25 PM
OK. Should have the reduced backstrap design then. For many folks that little section makes or breaks the 92s grip comfort.

GardoneVT is referencing the "dish" at the top of the backstrap that some US 92's have and some don't. Your Italian 92A1 has it. Heck, all railed 92's have it. On the US made 92's, I swear they just grab whatever frame is handy. The M9's do not have this reduction, and some US Inox 92's don't have it. I've heard of recent production 92G models that don't have it. My G does. I personally never really could tell a difference when gripping the gun back when I had an M9 that didn't have it vs all my other 92's that do have it. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Tracking, and FWIW, GVT is spot on as that little sections makes the 92's grip comfort for me.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,

Hoping for some helpful opinions here. Just got on a long wait list for a Wilson Beretta (my wallet hates you all, btw).

So I'm considering still debating whether to do the action job or not. My dealer was on the phone with Wilson and they said they take the stock 12lb DA/8lb SA down to 8lb DA/4 SA with the action job. Now I've never heard of a regular stock Beretta 92 having an 8lb SA, so sounds weird to me.

Can anyone else share their experience? 8lb DA and 4lb SA sounds like exactly where I want it at. In fact I'm not really a fan of an SA lighter than that.

JSGlock34
11-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Hey guys,

Hoping for some helpful opinions here. Just got on a long wait list for a Wilson Beretta (my wallet hates you all, btw).

So I'm considering still debating whether to do the action job or not. My dealer was on the phone with Wilson and they said they take the stock 12lb DA/8lb SA down to 8lb DA/4 SA with the action job. Now I've never heard of a regular stock Beretta 92 having an 8lb SA, so sounds weird to me.

Can anyone else share their experience? 8lb DA and 4lb SA sounds like exactly where I want it at. In fact I'm not really a fan of an SA lighter than that.

I'd get the action job, but I'd make sure it included the Wilson trigger bar. Makes a big difference.

StraitR
11-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Hey guys,

Or skip the long wait for an extra $40 and buy one here, in-stock.... http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Wilson-Combat-Beretta-Wilson-Combat-92G-Brigadier-Tactical-9mm-P3582.aspx

I bought mine online at 1:30am last night and received a shipping notice at 10:30am this morning. Pretty efficient.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Or skip the long wait for an extra $40 and buy one here, in-stock.... http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Wilson-Combat-Beretta-Wilson-Combat-92G-Brigadier-Tactical-9mm-P3582.aspx

I bought mine online at 1:30am last night and received a shipping notice at 10:30am this morning. Pretty efficient.

Shit, I wish I had talked to you earlier. I already put down money on it.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2015, 10:19 PM
I'd get the action job, but I'd make sure it included the Wilson trigger bar. Makes a big difference.

School me on the trigger weights.

School me about the trigger bar as well. I tried to look for it on here (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Beretta-92_96/products/465/1/0) and did not see it listed. How does it change the trigger characteristics and where do I find it?

StraitR
11-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Shit, I wish I had talked to you earlier. I already put down money on it.

It was posted by another member here, so I claim zero credit for finding them. I'm sure, if you call WC and explain that you have found one in-stock at a master dealer and would like to get your money back to make the purchase that they would do so without issue. And you can always send the pistol in for the action tune, that is, if you get the gun and decide the current trigger isn't up to your expectations as is.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2015, 10:32 PM
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Ultimate-Action-Tune-Kit-Beretta-90-Series/productinfo/748/

Oh I see, thank you. So you guys are saying to get that along with the action job. Damn.. that is nearly $200 just for trigger work. I'm also definitely getting the Short Reach Trigger.

I don't know if it affects your guys' recommendations, but I'd like use this as HD and fun gun. Perhaps competition later on. That's why I was being particular about trigger pull weight before. Smooth as butter while keep reasonable weights for increased margin of safety.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2015, 10:35 PM
It was posted by another member here, so I claim zero credit for finding them. I'm sure, if you call WC and explain that you have found one in-stock at a master dealer and would like to get your money back to make the purchase that they would do so without issue. And you can always send the pistol in for the action tune, that is, if you get the gun and decide the current trigger isn't up to your expectations as is.

I had the dealer order it from Wilson, and as far as I'm aware, they have a no refunds policy. I could see if they can drop the order with Wilson, since they won't be able to fill that order for months.

StraitR
11-04-2015, 10:44 PM
My current 92A1 and the Brig Tac I have on the way are 100% HD and fun guns. Personally, I would (will) hold off on trigger work to 1) first see what it's like out of the box, and 2) see how it shapes up after a modest round count and substantial dry firing schedule.

I put the Wilson SRT in my 92A1, along with the 14# hammer spring and WC Ultra Thing grips. For me and my hand anatomy, it works as well as expected, and I plan on buying a set of Ultra Thin grips for the Brig Tac as well. I'll have to play with the Brig Tac trigger some before deciding to change it out for the Wilson SRT, but I want to keep this one IDPA SSP legal, so I'll probably leave the pistol as is sans the grips.

I would not just automatically spend the money on an action job prior to using it. The stock trigger in my 92A1 was far better than anything I've had in a striker fired polymer gun, and I'm a Glock fan. After putting the 14# hammer spring and Wilson SRT, which together cost about $35, the result is incredible (to me).

It did have some creep in it, but I read a tip from Bill Wilson on Beretta Forum where he said to place the pistol in SA, then put significant force on the back of the hammer then pull the trigger. He claims that this usually removes trigger creep in 1-12 pulls, and after doing it 3 times to my 92A1, all the creep was gone. Bill Wilson knows a thing or two about guns, shocker right?

StraitR
11-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I had the dealer order it from Wilson, and as far as I'm aware, they have a no refunds policy. I could see if they can drop the order with Wilson, since they won't be able to fill that order for months.

Ahh, I thought you ordered direct through Wilson. Yeah, you may be stuck, but it never hurts to ask. A good, reputable dealer, one that wants to keep you coming back, may understand and let you off the hook. Again, all they can do is say no.

Hot Sauce
11-04-2015, 11:02 PM
My current 92A1 and the Brig Tac I have on the way are 100% HD and fun guns. Personally, I would (will) hold off on trigger work to 1) first see what it's like out of the box, and 2) see how it shapes up after a modest round count and substantial dry firing schedule.

I put the Wilson SRT in my 92A1, along with the 14# hammer spring and WC Ultra Thing grips. For me and my hand anatomy, it works as well as expected, and I plan on buying a set of Ultra Thin grips for the Brig Tac as well. I'll have to play with the Brig Tac trigger some before deciding to change it out for the Wilson SRT, but I want to keep this one IDPA SSP legal, so I'll probably leave the pistol as is sans the grips.

I would not just automatically spend the money on an action job prior to using it. The stock trigger in my 92A1 was far better than anything I've had in a striker fired polymer gun, and I'm a Glock fan. After putting the 14# hammer spring and Wilson SRT, which together cost about $35, the result is incredible (to me).

It did have some creep in it, but I read a tip from Bill Wilson on Beretta Forum where he said to place the pistol in SA, then put significant force on the back of the hammer then pull the trigger. He claims that this usually removes trigger creep in 1-12 pulls, and after doing it 3 times to my 92A1, all the creep was gone. Bill Wilson knows a thing or two about guns, shocker right?

What you say makes a lot of sense.

The reason why I was going to have all of this done was because either way I was going to have the gun modified, for anatomical reasons. So the plan was to get the SRT and Ultra Thin grips. And I figured if I'm going to make this thing a full on sweet package, I may as well just do all the mods to it in one fell swoop. Because I'd rather have them do the installing. I've worked with Glocks/M&Ps, don't have any experience maintaining a Beretta at this point.

ReverendMeat
11-05-2015, 12:28 AM
The reason why I was going to have all of this done was because either way I was going to have the gun modified, for anatomical reasons. So the plan was to get the SRT and Ultra Thin grips. And I figured if I'm going to make this thing a full on sweet package, I may as well just do all the mods to it in one fell swoop. Because I'd rather have them do the installing. I've worked with Glocks/M&Ps, don't have any experience maintaining a Beretta at this point.

Unless you're including the Wilson trigger bar, which to my understanding may require fitting, if you can do an M&P I doubt you'd have a problem with a Beretta frame. Never done the slide but the frames are pretty easy, only mildly annoying parts for me are the sear spring and trigger return spring, which may require a couple tries and the occasional curse word.

TCinVA
11-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Unless I'm wildly off the mark, a trigger job from Wilson is going to include the new trigger bar. That's how they're going to accomplish the trigger job. Their trigger package is 110 bucks, IIRC, and I think that's well worth it and the bit of extra wait.

Sal Picante
11-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Unless I'm wildly off the mark, a trigger job from Wilson is going to include the new trigger bar. That's how they're going to accomplish the trigger job. Their trigger package is 110 bucks, IIRC, and I think that's well worth it and the bit of extra wait.

Yes - trigger is NICE coming back from Wilson. $$ well spent if you have the $ to burn.

JSGlock34
11-05-2015, 04:38 PM

Well, the trigger job was offered as an option before the trigger bar was released (and I don't think the price has changed). Might as well ask just to be sure. Perhaps Mr. Wilson can comment?

The trigger bar is an outstanding upgrade, and I'd take advantage of the opportunity to have Wilson install the part while it is there.

Hot Sauce
11-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Anyone got a lyman gauge to see what the weights are for their post trigger job trigger pulls? I'm duly assuming that any trigger Wilson works over will be smooth as butter.

If someone knows whether they do use their new trigger bar while doing the action job, please pipe up. Otherwise, if no one knows, I'll give them a shout during business hours to get the story straight.

JSGlock34
11-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a trigger gauge for my tuned Brigadier Tactical; however, I just wanted to note that with the trigger bar/Ultimate Action Tune Kit you'll get three different hammer spring weights (12#, 13#, 14#) as well as the 'D' spring that comes standard with the Brig Tac. Changing a hammer spring is a relatively trivial exercise, so you'll be able to customize your trigger weight to some extent. Your choice of ammunition and intended use of the pistol should inform your decision on hammer spring weight. I use a 13# spring in order to ensure reliability with my carry ammo (Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P).

Hot Sauce
11-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a trigger gauge for my tuned Brigadier Tactical; however, I just wanted to note that with the trigger bar/Ultimate Action Tune Kit you'll get three different hammer spring weights (12#, 13#, 14#) as well as the 'D' spring that comes standard with the Brig Tac. Changing a hammer spring is a relatively trivial exercise, so you'll be able to customize your trigger weight to some extent. Your choice of ammunition and intended use of the pistol should inform your decision on hammer spring weight. I use a 13# spring in order to ensure reliability with my carry ammo (Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P).

Good to know that 13# spring will work with that load. It is one of my two favorites.

One thing I wonder about is how this Brig Tac will compare to the much awaited M9A3. As I've noted due to anatomy, I've made plans to shell out for thin grips/SRT, while the A3 will already come with a vertec grip. Not to mention the threaded barrel, which leaves more options for home defense in the future.

Maybe I'm just having last minute jitters for such an expensive purchase of want-not-need item, but I guess I'm just asking for last minute assurances that the Wilson version of the good ol' 92 is worth the hype I've bought into. Maybe I'm overthinking all of this.

Sigfan26
11-05-2015, 09:34 PM

Awesome to hear! How many of the Gold Dot have you fired with the 13#?

JSGlock34
11-05-2015, 09:58 PM
The M9A3 is a neat pistol, and as a taxpayer I'm annoyed that the Army continues to buy plain-jane M9s when this improved pistol is available via the same contract at the same price. I've been tempted to pick one up ever since they were announced...but I'm having a hard time envisioning the scenario where I reach past my Wilson Combat 92G to take an M9A3 out of the safe. My standard M9 has been gathering dust since the Brigadier Tactical has arrived. I had the opportunity to briefly handle the M9A3, and there was nothing about the grip, sights or trigger that I found particularly remarkable. Meanwhile, the tuned trigger of my Brig Tac is fantastic...

Also - and I recognize this is my own disorder - for whatever reason I'd be reluctant to customize the M9A3, and like my M9 I would be tempted to leave it in the original configuration. My Brig Tac seems to beg for whatever Wilson can do to maximize the awesome.

Since I own a 9mm can, the M9A3's factory threaded barrel is a desirable feature. I hope Beretta will offer threaded barrels as a spare part once production is in full swing. For that matter, I'm curious to see if Beretta expands on the M9A3 lineup at SHOT.

JSGlock34
11-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Awesome to hear! How many of the Gold Dot have you fired with the 13#?

Two boxes (100 rounds). All went bang. Would like to do more, but that gets expensive. I probably have a thousand rounds of Blazer Brass through the pistol since the trigger bar was installed (which was in September; the pistol spent most of October back at Wilson for the dehorn and Armor Tuff refinish).

Hot Sauce
11-05-2015, 10:12 PM
The M9A3 is a neat pistol, and as a taxpayer I'm annoyed that the Army continues to buy plain-jane M9s when this improved pistol is available via the same contract at the same price. I've been tempted to pick one up ever since they were announced...but I'm having a hard time envisioning the scenario where I reach past my Wilson Combat 92G to take an M9A3 out of the safe. My standard M9 has been gathering dust since the Brigadier Tactical has arrived. I had the opportunity to briefly handle the M9A3, and there was nothing about the grip, sights or trigger that I found particularly remarkable. Meanwhile, the tuned trigger of my Brig Tac is fantastic...

Also - and I recognize this is my own disorder - for whatever reason I'd be reluctant to customize the M9A3, and like my M9 I would be tempted to leave it in the original configuration. My Brig Tac seems to beg for whatever Wilson can do to maximize the awesome.

Since I own a 9mm can, the M9A3's factory threaded barrel is a desirable feature. I hope Beretta will offer threaded barrels as a spare part once production is in full swing. For that matter, I'm curious to see if Beretta expands on the M9A3 lineup at SHOT.

I too second your annoyance with the Army not getting the A3 and calling it done.

Interesting perspective on everything else. I'm surprised you would not G-convert an A3 if you had it. I'm totally in the not gaga column when it comes to the safety/decocker. Part of the reason I was not particularly hot on the M9 before.

JSGlock34
11-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Not to derail the thread further with my particular OCD, but I'd probably be okay with swapping the FS over to G for my personal M9A3. However, adding 'custom' parts that didn't come in the box and would get the pistol further away from its 'issue' (even though it hasn't been adopted) configuration might trigger an episode...

On the other hand, that's why I own the Brig Tac...

GardoneVT
11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
It is my understanding the M9A3 will be sold in both FS and G configurations. It should be noted that model is the only way currently to buy a box-stock Vertec G edition 92 from the factory. Small handed shooters are thus spared the custom work necessary to get a ergonomics-friendly 92, and the -A3 retains a full size grip for the gorilla paw people like me.

StraitR
11-06-2015, 03:28 PM
So, I just got home from picking up my Brig Tac, and thought I'd share a few initial impressions.

1) Slide fit is definitely tighter than my 92A1, which doesn't rattle when shaken either, so I'm pleased with the fit of the BT. There is a very slight amount of horizontal play, zero vertical, and I liken it to the slide fit of my Wilson CQBE. Also, much like my CQBE, there is zero barrel play at lock up. None, which makes me really happy.

2) Using my Lyman trigger pull gauge, I measure the average DA pull at 9.9lbs and the SA at 4.5lbs. This is a little heavier than my 92A1 with 14# hammer spring, but the pull on the BT is much smoother with no stacking. I would have bet anything that the BT had lighter pull weights. I may swap out the D spring with a spare Wilson 14# CS spring to see if it gets even better.

3) With medium/small sized hands, I prefer the standard WC grips that came on this BT over the WC Ultra Thin grips I have on my 92A1. This surprised me.

4) I prefer the factory metal trigger on the BT to the Wilson SRT on my 92A1. This also surprised me, and I'll be replacing the Wilson SRT on my 92A1.

5) The lack of checkering on the 92A1 doesn't bother me, but the checkering on the BT is really nice, and I'll probably end up preferring it.

6) When depressing the factory oversized mag release, it bottoms out on the grips. The mag releases well before the release bottoms out, but I may end up relieving the grips a little to remove the interference.

7) Others have reported sporadic finish issues, either frame or barrel, but I have neither. The disassembly lever is a little nicked up however. Basically looks like it may have been at the bottom of the parts bin, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

8) Maybe it's the slightly shorter barrel, but it feels smaller and lighter than my 92A1. I know for a fact that it's not lighter, but I don't mind the placebo affect.

9) I stated earlier, when asked, that I had no intention of carrying this, or my 92A1, but I can't find a holster fast enough for this thing. I'll spend the rest of the night researching holsters, and probably get something ordered around 1am, as that's my SOP.

10) I want a second one.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5723/22414326038_dcd068dc9b_c.jpg

Sal Picante
11-06-2015, 05:46 PM
I stated earlier, when asked, that I had no intention of carrying this, or my 92A1, but I can't find a holster fast enough for this thing. I'll spend the rest of the night researching holsters, and probably get something ordered around 1am, as that's my SOP.

Ben Stoeger Pro shop had a few BladeTech belt holsters for the BrigTac in stock - I dunno if they're listed on the page, might need to drop Tim a note.

I want a second one.

Aw Yisss!

Clobbersaurus
11-06-2015, 08:23 PM
^^ X2 on the Blade Tech. I use it for IPSC with my Elite II. It works well for Centurions too if you tighten the retention screws a bit.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC03767_zpskrwy2pzo.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC03767_zpskrwy2pzo.jpg.html)

StraitR
11-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks Les and Clobbersauras. I'll check out Stoegers store, as I'm a BladeTech fan as well, and that's what I'm looking at for IDPA use. In my rush to get my post up before taking the family out to dinner (pregnant wife wanted Olive Garden, not my favorite, but I'm not going to say No), I wasn't as clear on some things as I wanted to be.

1) In reference to #2 in my post above, I should have said, "Feeling the Brig Tac trigger pull at the shop when I picked it up, I would have bet anything that the pull weights were lighter than my 92A1 with 14# hammer spring". Even side by side, the BT feels lighter, but the gauge says otherwise. Smoothness I guess.

2) In reference to #9 on carrying the BT, my comment on holsters was also vague. What I was trying to say is, I had no intention on ever carrying this, but after coonfingering it for 5 minutes, I'm definitely looking for a IWB holster. Right now, it looks like I'll be jumping in line at JM for a 92G-SD holster.

I'd also add that the Brig Tac's 1913 rail is significantly wider in the notch than every other pistol I have (Glocks, HKs, 92A1) and there is a lot of play with with a X300 mounted using the Universal (U) plate. I'll have to change it to the mounting plate and have one of my x300's basically dedicated to the Brig Tac. Not my preference, but it is what it is. Guess I'm headed out to the garage to dig up a Surefire box.

StraitR
11-06-2015, 10:09 PM
As far has holsters and compatibility goes...

With the BladeTech holster made for the Brig Tac fit my 92A1 (like THIS (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Blade-Tech-Wilson-92G-Brigadier-Tactical-Right-Hand-OWB-Holster-15-Belt-Black-Molded-Kydex/productinfo/NW420/))? My guess is no, due to slide width and barrel length as the Brig Tac model is closed at the end, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer for sure.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Wilson Tactical Assault Holster? Quite possibly the worst name ever, but the WC website says it fits ALL 92/96 variants with or without rail. (HERE (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Tactical-Assault-Holster-Beretta-92_96-Right-Hand-15-Belt-Black-Kydex/productinfo/TA4BKR15/)). I've read some good things, but also saw a YT reviewer give it some pretty poor marks due to it's leather attachment method. I really only like getting my info from PF these days.

Lastly, what are the compatible models that will also fit the Brig Tac?

Standard Brigadier?
92G Elite II?
92G-SD?

YVK
11-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Tac Assault holster proves a notion that if something is said to do it all, it does nothing well. No offense to WC, I like their stuff but this one is a pass.

I use my Elite II holsters for everything. The Brig Tac seems to fit well, with a disclaimer that I haven't done anything with it out of that holster other than check the fit carefully. Don't have a 92A1.

GJM
11-06-2015, 11:38 PM
92A1 is a no go in my Brig Tac and Elite holsters.

StraitR
11-07-2015, 12:16 AM
YVK/GJM, thanks for the info. So a dual holster is out, I'm completely OK with that, and I'm focusing on the Brig Tac. I'll get the BladeTech for IDPA, so I'm left looking for IWB. I know from experience carrying a CQBE for a year that I don't want to carry this 40+ ounce gun AIWB. Due to the weight, I'm looking for a VM2, but below are the only models I can find available. Are they compatible?

Standard Brigadier?
92G Elite II?
92G-SD?

JSGlock34
11-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Tac Assault holster proves a notion that if something is said to do it all, it does nothing well. No offense to WC, I like their stuff but this one is a pass.

Pretty much sums up my experience with the Tac Assault. I keep one around as a spare range holster, but I wouldn't think of carrying with it.

HCM
11-07-2015, 12:38 AM
YVK/GJM, thanks for the info. So a dual holster is out, I'm completely OK with that, and I'm focusing on the Brig Tac. I'll get the BladeTech for IDPA, so I'm left looking for IWB. I know from experience carrying a CQBE for a year that I don't want to carry this 40+ ounce gun AIWB. Due to the weight, I'm looking for a VM2, but below are the only models I can find available. Are they compatible?

Standard Brigadier?
92G Elite II?
92G-SD?

92G-SD would be the closest match

Dave J
11-07-2015, 01:15 AM
FWIW, I was messing around with a 92FS Compact and a Wolff hammer spring assortment a few months ago. This was a new gun, with less than 100 rounds fired, and not much dry fire on it.

Here are the resulting trigger pull weights, as measured by a Lyman digital gauge:

Mainspring..........SA pull.................DA pull
OEM .................... 5.5 lb .............. approx 13 lb. (exceeded gauge range)
19 lb/in ............... 5.2 lb ............... 12 lb
18 lb/in ............... 5.1 lb ............... 11.5 lb
17 lb/in ............... 5.0 lb ............... 11.1 lb
16 lb/in ............... 4.6 lb ............... 10.4 lb

After lightly dressing the sear (i.e. just enough to clean off the machine marks, and not changing any geometry), and hammer sides (not the sear hooks!), I reinstalled the 18 lb/in spring. DA measured 11.2 lb, and SA 4.6 lb.

I’ve since replaced the 18# with a “D” mainspring, and swapped in a factory metal trigger in place of the plastic one.
After more dry fire, it measured at what I consider a very sweet 8.3 lb DA, and 4.2 lb SA.

The slide is currently at Wilson's, awaiting a "G" conversion and a rear sight.

Clobbersaurus
11-07-2015, 09:21 AM
I've had really good success with the Wolff 13lb mainspring in my Centurion Turkish clone. No light strikes at all through a variety of ammo. Also, if you are polishing parts don't for get the trigger bar. Polishing the contact points, underside of the flats, pin and rear contact points. I did that and the other parts mentioned above and it made a huge difference on my Turkish gun.

StraitR
11-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Good info Dave.

So, I was getting ready to swap out the D spring in my Brig Tac for a spare 14# I have laying around, and I noticed that my barrel appears to be shorter than others. Not being sure exactly how they're measured, I haven't measured it. Either way, I don't mind it, actually really like it, but it seems shorter. What do you think?

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5790/22227679853_225b2d60a6_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/571/22835274822_f55c4830ea_c.jpg

YVK
11-07-2015, 09:30 AM

Standard Brigadier?
92G Elite II?
92G-SD?

I don't know, don't have anything IWB but, as a general observation, not one of my concealment holsters works with a Beretta model other than the one it was made for.

GardoneVT
11-07-2015, 09:41 AM

Standard Brigadier?
92G Elite II?
92G-SD?

Brigadier/Elite II will not work. Both dustcovers omit the rail .

92G/SD is essentially a Beretta USA BrigTac minus the WC goodies, so that's the one I'd say SHOULD fit. Ymmv, void where prohibited, not responsible for advice, etc yadda yadda.

GJM
11-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Brig Tac is essentially a G-SD with a rounded trigger guard.

StraitR
11-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info. So only the G-SD "may" work, that's what I'll look for.

Any input on the barrel length pictures I posted above?

Clobbersaurus
11-07-2015, 10:34 AM
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/571/22835274822_f55c4830ea_c.jpg

I like it.

Dave J
11-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Good info Dave.

So, I was getting ready to swap out the D spring in my Brig Tac for a spare 14# I have laying around, and I noticed that my barrel appears to be shorter than others. Not being sure exactly how they're measured, I haven't measured it. Either way, I don't mind it, actually really like it, but it seems shorter. What do you think?

Interesting. Hard to tell for sure, but it does look a little shorter than mine.

I just measured my Brig Tac; the muzzle protrudes about .080" out from the slide. My serial number is very close to 1000, FWIW.

GJM
11-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info. So only the G-SD "may" work, that's what I'll look for.

Any input on the barrel length pictures I posted above?

It depends. The G-SD and Brig Tac fit in my BT OWB holsters.

Tony at JM has a Brig Tac and can fix you up exactly.

StraitR
11-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Interesting. Hard to tell for sure, but it does look a little shorter than mine.

I just measured my Brig Tac; the muzzle protrudes about .080" out from the slide. My serial number is very close to 1000, FWIW.

Don't have a micrometer to measure mine, but it's definitely not .080. I've been looking at the ratio of barrel to guide rod protrusion on other guns where the barrel usually extends further than the guide rod. Mine is really close to being flush cut.

ETA: Another angle...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5779/22456651929_cd166beaa3_c.jpg

Luke
11-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Will the new M9A3 take any Wilson combat trigger parts? Is the slide the same as the others making a milled RMR a no go?

StraitR
11-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Will the new M9A3 take any Wilson combat trigger parts? Is the slide the same as the others making a milled RMR a no go?

Based on everything I've read, and seen (handled one Friday), it will take WC trigger parts. I can't say for sure about the RMR milling either way, but I see nothing about the A3 that would make it any different than current M9/M9A1 slides.

There's a used (lightly) Brig Tac up on GB with no reserve. Already up to $782 with six days left, but thought I'd share for anyone potentially interested.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=521065200

StraitR
11-08-2015, 05:20 PM
First range trip with the Brig Tac today, here are my takeaways...

1) Didn't bench it, but it goes exactly where I want it to when I do my part.

2) Shoots even softer than my 92A1, and easily the softest shooting 9mm pistol I've ever shot, unsuppressed. Attach an x300, and the recoil is laughable, and feels more like a suppressed G17. Ultra Thin grips combined with doubled-up ear pro, and I can't think of a better pistol for introducing new shooters with all but the smallest hands.

3) Sights seem to be well regulated at 20 yards. I really like the WC battlesight, and will pick up one for my 92A1.

4) In my initial impressions, I preferred the Wilson grips that come on the Brig Tac to the Wilson Ultra Thins on my 92A1, but I shoot noticeably better with the Ultra Thins. Based on feel alone, I still like the standard Wilson grips better, but shooting shows a clear issue in trigger manipulation that I don't have using the Ultra Thins. Obviously, this is a hand size/finger length issue, so YMMV. I'll be ordering another set of Ultra Thins tonight, and putting the ones that came with the Brig Tac up for sale, here first.

5) I need to shoot more to confirm, as I was having to swap the Ultra Thin grips back and forth, but I believe I perform a little better with the Wilson SRT than with the factory metal trigger on the BT. I stated otherwise in my initial impressions, where I preferred the factory trigger feel/break based on copious amounts of comparative tactical LayZboy dry firing.

6) I need a freakin holster, stat. Ordering the BladeTech tonight, which will at least get me set up for IDPA/range use.

7) Love the G configuration.

8) I want a second one, confirmed.

9) I absolutely cannot wait for the next Beretta/Wilson collaboration to come out, and please o' please let it be a Centurion. I'm loving this gun, and dying to carry it, but I would like something a weeeee bit smaller/lighter.

I learned long ago that thinking, while still vital, is far different than doing. Once again, my ideas and perceptions of how I like my gun/gear prior to using them was shaken down to the truth by performance after use. This was yet another positive reinforcement of the lesson.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/751/22855306906_c4957b8592_c.jpg

Hizzie
11-08-2015, 05:27 PM
I have a couple of BT holsters from KMFJ LLC. Local, veteran owned/operated outfit. The bladetech has a tendency to pinch my middle finger reholstering.

Pics

https://instagram.com/p/9J1DsuI2B4/

https://instagram.com/p/6ElsEQo2DP/

GardoneVT
11-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Note: for those who want the BrigTac recoil experience without the dented wallet,a PX4 9 full size is a great option. Mine makes shooting a 92FS feel like an HK P30 .40......

Hot Sauce
11-08-2015, 06:32 PM
6) I need a freakin holster, stat. Ordering the BladeTech tonight, which will at least get me set up for IDPA/range use.

Is an SRT legal in IDPA stock service division? I know grips/sight definitely are.

helothar
11-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Is there any options to get a brig tac with rear night sights from wilson?

StraitR
11-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Note: for those who want the BrigTac recoil experience without the dented wallet,a PX4 9 full size is a great option. Mine makes shooting a 92FS feel like an HK P30 .40......

Nice. Never shot a PX4 9 full size, I'll have to make a note to try one. I looked at buying a PX4 Compact on Friday when I picked up my Brig Tac, but at $479, I had to pass. I've seen them cheaper online, so maybe later.

ETA: It's not THAT much softer than a 92A1, not necessarily mind blowing, but it's noticeable, and I appreciate it.

Is an SRT legal in IDPA stock service division? I know grips/sight definitely are.

No, it's not, and thanks for reminding me. I won't be putting one in the Brig Tac for just that reason.

Also, I was playing around with my 92A1 with Wilson SRT again tonight, really focusing on manipulation and realized that it has a false reset in it. I have to focus hard on the reset, but I can make it do it every time. I'll have to dig more into it soon. Anyone else experience this with the Wilson SRT?

Is there any options to get a brig tac with rear night sights from wilson?

No, they do not offer rear night sights, meaning they don't make or have them for sale either. Additionally, the only options when ordering the Brig Tac is an 'Action Job' and 'Mag Guide'. There is a limit to what they can do and not become the "manufacturer", which will enact additional taxes to them on the sale. So, those are the only two options, no exceptions from what I've seen. Lot's of people get butthurt over the fact that they won't change grip colors or swap the front sight, but that's why the limits are in place

Hot Sauce
11-08-2015, 08:04 PM
No, it's not, and thanks for reminding me. I won't be putting one in the Brig Tac for just that reason.

Also, I was playing around with my 92A1 with Wilson SRT again tonight, really focusing on manipulation and realized that it has a false reset in it. I have to focus hard on the reset, but I can make it do it every time. I'll have to dig more into it soon. Anyone else experience this with the Wilson SRT?

No, they do not offer rear night sights, meaning they don't make or have them for sale either. Additionally, the only options when ordering the Brig Tac is an 'Action Job' and 'Mag Guide'. There is a limit to what they can do and not become the "manufacturer", which will enact additional taxes to them on the sale. So, those are the only two options, no exceptions from what I've seen. Lot's of people get butthurt over the fact that they won't change grip colors or swap the front sight, but that's why the limits are in place

Bill Wilson is a sharp guy. While this is advertised as a self defense handgun, it could certainly be used as such with no problem, it is not really optimal for carry due to its size and weight. In fact it is extra heavy and extra wide. It is 36 oz empty, just at the border of how heavy a gun can be for IDPA. All the parts added from the factory make them legal for IDPA, ones you can't change out and stay in SSP, like the guide rod and hammer. The barrel is match grade, the tolerances extra tight. The available upgrades like action job and mag guide are also SSP legal. The initial order was for just over 2000 units, making it a legit production gun.

From where I sit, it looks like this gun was designed to dominate that division as much if not more than as a self defense weapon. Very smartly done. With that said, they should have probably made a fiber optic sight the default in that case. But hey, minor details.

YVK
11-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Why is SRT illegal in IDPA? It is a stock part of IDPA approved gun, should be OK, no?

StraitR
11-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Why is SRT illegal in IDPA? It is a stock part of IDPA approved gun, should be OK, no?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Beretta SRT (Short Reset Trigger) is IDPA legal being stock on some production guns, but the Wilson SRT (Short Reach Trigger) is not. I thought I read this as reason why Bill chose the Beretta SRT for the Brig Tac.

YVK
11-08-2015, 10:32 PM
I am not aware of a short reset trigger made by Beretta. I always thought of it as a short reach, or Vertec, trigger. The short reset thingy is a SIG contraption.

I admit that for somebody who owns a Brig Tac with a serial number within first 100 I know very little about this gun. However, if it comes stock with Wilson Combat short reach trigger, that trigger should be legit for SSP and Production because the entire gun is (and so are its small parts). However, if Brig Tac comes in with a standard reach trigger, then WC short reach trigger is no go for SSP or Prod.

Edwin
11-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I don't think it's a Beretta factory part. It's a Wilson part making it aftermarket and no go in SSP. Fine in ESP though. http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Short-Reach-Steel-Trigger-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/635/

Hot Sauce
11-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Based on what I've been reading, there is was at one point a factory Vertec short reach trigger, which as a factory part should make it legal for stock class. I can't figure out if it is still even made. The Brig Tac comes with a standard reach trigger, making the Wilson unit an aftermarket part as Edwin points out.

StraitR
11-08-2015, 11:55 PM
After looking more, it seems that Beretta doesn't call their trigger, at least the one in the Brig Tac, "short" anything, as pointed out by Hot Sauce. I was misinformed, and didn't do enough fact checking. Apologies. I guess I'll look around for one of the Vertec triggers.

Hot Sauce
11-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Did anyone figure out a better OWB alternative for the Brig Tac other than the Blade Tech rig?

GJM
11-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Did anyone figure out a better OWB alternative for the Brig Tac other than the Blade Tech rig?

Nope.