PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

The Apprentice
03-17-2016, 12:44 AM
As an update, I was informed that my pistol will be back to me on Friday. A week late for the VTAC class, but right at three weeks door to door.

This is good to hear my slide should be back from Tooltech soon then it's off to Wilson for a G conversion.

JSGlock34
03-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Ernest Langdon is showing pictures of a black M9A3 with 'G' lever on his Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDBlZSENvo-/?taken-by=ernest.langdon

p/BDBlZSENvo-

JV_
03-17-2016, 04:28 PM
There aren't many new guns which make me want to open my wallet, but that's one.

LockedBreech
03-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Ernest Langdon is showing pictures of a black M9A3 with 'G' lever on his Instagram page.

Please provide a link with credit card information and shipping address lines kthx :)

ralph
03-17-2016, 07:53 PM
I just want the G lever kit. .. But yeah, where do we order?

Jeep
03-17-2016, 09:05 PM
I just want the G lever kit. .. But yeah, where do we order?

Even better question, where do we order one with a Langdon trigger job?

guymontag
03-17-2016, 09:22 PM

mattmccall75: That will be Beretta's hottest pistol of 2019.

ROFL!

Dave J
03-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Got my slide back from Tooltech today. Their orange ring is a much paler shade than what I'd hoped, and doesn't really do anything for my vision.In hindsight, I would have preferred the plain white outline.
In fairness to Tooltech, the shade was accurately reflected in the picture they sent ahead of time, which I'm pretty sure I posted them earlier in this thread. I guess I was hoping it was just a washed out photo :)

Tooltech Orange ring next to an Ameriglo Hack front:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/a9c567471d8efa9cbb00ad2277589da2.jpg

GJM
03-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Looks about what I get with a Sharpie paint stick, just neater.

CoGT3
03-18-2016, 11:06 AM
So, I spoke to my WC rep week ago Monday about the trigger bar. Basically repeated everybodies feedback here. And insisted on the WC trigger bar. His response was "you sure, your pistol just came back from the smiths and ready to ship. Do you really want me to send it back?" So I got the call yesterday, gun is complete with trigger bar. WC rep was eating crow when he called. Said did not expect that much improvement from switching the trigger bar. In his words he said the DA pull was "impeccable". Should have it on Monday :).

farscott
03-18-2016, 11:07 AM

I am in for a pair of the black M9A3 "G" when they are released. It is nice to see Beretta shedding their HK marketing ways and actually responding to consumer demand. It is also nice to see the current US service pistol design being modified to meet user needs and wants just like the 1911 design started to progress during the 1980s.

GJM
03-18-2016, 11:30 AM
I like everything about the M9A3 except the Vertec grip -- they point funny for me. Would stick a M9A1 lower on.

farscott
03-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately the gun is all show no go after all the work and a second trip back to WC. Decocker still sticks so I've lost interest in this gun.

Is the lever sticking in the "decock" position? I wonder if this is a tooling issue with the way the spring sits in the lever or if the finish work exacerbated a tolerance stack issue. This sounds like the kind of issue I like to dive into as a project as I always end up learning lots about the design and the implementation of it.

GardoneVT
03-18-2016, 12:09 PM
I like everything about the M9A3 except the Vertec grip -- they point funny for me. Would stick a M9A1 lower on.

I believe the M9A3s ship with a Hogue grip adapter converting the Vertec to a standard grip.Id hope they'd do the same for the Black versions.

CoGT3
03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Would love to see Hogue make a similar grip adaptor from G10 like the wrap around Sig grips they make. Would restore palm swell but give G10 grip surface like the WC grips.

Edwin
03-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Would love to see Hogue make a similar grip adaptor from G10 like the wrap around Sig grips they make. Would restore palm swell but give G10 grip surface like the WC grips.

I'd buy that.

CoGT3
03-18-2016, 05:28 PM
I'd buy that.

Seems logical for them. They already make 92 grips, they already make a wrap around rubber grip for the Vertec, they already make a wrap around G10 grip for the Sigs. The only problem is, it would be too logical, so it probably won't happen. At this point, I'm convinced hospital administrators and management for gun manufactures fall from the same tree. Great idea, makes sense, thus can't do it.

Would Make it really easy for me to buy a M9A3 for a house gun and use the WC BT for range/game gun.

Pennzoil
03-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Is the lever sticking in the "decock" position? I wonder if this is a tooling issue with the way the spring sits in the lever or if the finish work exacerbated a tolerance stack issue. This sounds like the kind of issue I like to dive into as a project as I always end up learning lots about the design and the implementation of it.

Decocker isn't fully returning. It happens intermittently and causes the hammer not to strike the primer fully.

I really wish this had worked out as I was a fan of WC. Communication when I first sent the pistol in for custom work went smooth. Tested the gun when I first got it back at the indoor range and it seemed ok but decocker spring tension felt light. Attended a 2 day class and it was my first time being the guy who's gun wouldn't run which is shocking with the number of classes I've attend. I had a back up with me the consecutive serial number brother to this gun but mentally vapor locked on switching out.

Then came contacting WC to get the gun looked at which was a PITA. CS voicemail wasn't set up so I couldn't leave a message, listened to a lady for 2 hours who wouldn't listen to me (she assumed they had the pistol walking around their facility looking for the pistol despite me telling her I had the gun and needed to send it in) and once they finished the work WC said they didn't have my contact info so the gun didn't ship till I contacted them to check on the work. Thats just the highlights.

That said I did deal with some very good people at WC but think I just had bad luck when trying to get my gun fixed. The rest of the work including the trigger job is top notch but I'd skip the G conversion. I did talk to a very knowledgeable WC CS guy who said they have seen issues with these and he handled one problem child just a day prior to my call.

It's been put on the shelf of shame in the safe with my S&W M&Ps for now.

Hizzie
03-18-2016, 05:57 PM
My WC experience was less than stellar. I don't recommend them to people. My BUSA experience was pretty amazing.

farscott
03-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Decocker isn't fully returning. It happens intermittently and causes the hammer not to strike the primer fully.

I really wish this had worked out as I was a fan of WC. Communication when I first sent the pistol in for custom work went smooth. Tested the gun when I first got it back at the indoor range and it seemed ok but decocker spring tension felt light. Attended a 2 day class and it was my first time being the guy who's gun wouldn't run which is shocking with the number of classes I've attend. I had a back up with me the consecutive serial number brother to this gun but mentally vapor locked on switching out.

Then came contacting WC to get the gun looked at which was a PITA. CS voicemail wasn't set up so I couldn't leave a message, listened to a lady for 2 hours who wouldn't listen to me (she assumed they had the pistol walking around their facility looking for the pistol despite me telling her I had the gun and needed to send it in) and once they finished the work WC said they didn't have my contact info so the gun didn't ship till I contacted them to check on the work. Thats just the highlights.

That said I did deal with some very good people at WC but think I just had bad luck when trying to get my gun fixed. The rest of the work including the trigger job is top notch but I'd skip the G conversion. I did talk to a very knowledgeable WC CS guy who said they have seen issues with these and he handled one problem child just a day prior to my call.

If you have not done so yet, I highly recommend contacting WilsonCombatRep on this forum or on the 1911forum. He is the forum representative for Wilson Combat, and he has a reputation for solving issues like this. My personal experience with WC has been nothing short of outstanding. Every company makes mistakes; it is how the mistakes are addressed that separates the good ones from the rest. If you escalate the issue with WC, I am sure it will be resolved. If nothing else, it would be nice to get some closure on this.

My suspicion from playing with a few 92G pistols is a bad spring or the hole in which the spring seats has a burr. So the amount of spring force applied to the lever is less than it should be. Either is an easy fix.

GJM
03-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Message sent to head shed.

guymontag
03-19-2016, 09:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope it works out. It's unfortunate when you have to have multiple CS interactions to get a good one.

Pennzoil
03-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks, I'll contact WilsonCombatRep later in the week and see how it shakes out.

WilsonCombatRep
03-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I'll contact WilsonCombatRep later in the week and see how it shakes out.

Anyone with an issue:
The best way to to contact me is at info@wilsoncombat.com attention :Anthony
Please do NOT send me PM's

I will do what I can to help you. sticky decockers normally work themselves out.

Chuck Whitlock
03-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Anyone with an issue:
The best way to to contact me is at info@wilsoncombat.com attention :Anthony
Please do NOT send me PM's

Just a suggestion, but you could put that in your sig line.

backtrail540
03-29-2016, 10:19 AM
I see Shooters Connection now has tuned versions of both Wilson Berettas in stock. Includes action tune and mag well ready to ship. Pretty sweet. I may have to grab another myself

lukejr985
04-12-2016, 01:44 PM
just out of curiousity, are the WC 92's with the action tune and mag guide USPSA production legal, or are they relegated to limited/ L10?

Edwin
04-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Remove the mag guide and its legal.

chiral
04-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Stack em Deep fellas!
MecGar 18 rounders (SKU MAG9218) for $16.89

https://www.cdnnsports.com/beretta-92-18rd-9mm-anti-friction-magazine.html

CoGT3
04-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Stack em Deep fellas!

Danke

6 on the way with a side of 2 20 rounders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LockedBreech
04-14-2016, 12:55 AM
Stack em Deep fellas!

Thanks. Really excellent magazines.

Sal Picante
04-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Awesome find! Ordered!

WobblyPossum
04-14-2016, 11:24 AM
I ordered 5 mags for the M9A3G that I will hopefully, one day, finally receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MVS
04-16-2016, 09:15 PM
For some reason I am really interested in the WC 92G carry compact. Maybe I am hoping it will be what I thought my CGW P-07 would be.

GJM
04-16-2016, 09:19 PM
For some reason I am really interested in the WC 92G carry compact. Maybe I am hoping it will be what I thought my CGW P-07 would be.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsncjpqg1t.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsncjpqg1t.jpeg.html)

MVS
04-16-2016, 09:21 PM
GJM, how does it compare carry wise to a G19?

GJM
04-16-2016, 09:24 PM
GJM, how does it compare carry wise to a G19?

Heavier. :)

Kidding aside, the grip is very concealable by size and shape. The length of the slide is a tad long for my taste.

What I really notice is the weight delta and relative lack of levers and edges on the 19.

MVS
04-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Heavier. :)

Kidding aside, the grip is very concealable by size and shape. The length of the slide is a tad long for my taste.

What I really notice is the weight delta and relative lack of levers and edges on the 19.

Thanks. Part of me says if I am not going to carry it, maybe I should just get the WC Brig Tac.

45dotACP
04-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Thanks. Part of me says if I am not going to carry it, maybe I should just get the WC Brig Tac.

I like the 92 compact over the 19. The TDA trigger is far and above an easier system for me to shoot well and carry safely. I also find the 92 Compact shoots far softer than the Glock 19 I have. It's extremely easy to control in rapid fire and handles recoil exceptionally well, probably on account of the weight.

I'd say IMO, the Glock 19 is a carry gun that you can shoot well with good practice, but the 92 Compact is a "shooting" gun that you can carry well with a good holster. Toss up between them and what you want, but I'm starting to really like the Beretta 92 platform.

RONK
04-17-2016, 06:29 AM
I like the 92 compact over the 19. The TDA trigger is far and above an easier system for me to shoot well and carry safely. I also find the 92 Compact shoots far softer than the Glock 19 I have. It's extremely easy to control in rapid fire and handles recoil exceptionally well, probably on account of the weight.

I'd say IMO, the Glock 19 is a carry gun that you can shoot well with good practice, but the 92 Compact is a "shooting" gun that you can carry well with a good holster. Toss up between them and what you want, but I'm starting to really like the Beretta 92 platform.
I strongly agree,I'm in the process myself of going back to a TDA platform.It remains which one it will be but for me the full size 92 platform is the top contender,either a Beretta/Wilson or a 92G-SD.Theres also a great thread about the PX4 Compact being the next DA/SA Glock 19.Beretta will be coming out with a PX4 Compact Langdon Tactical.

CoGT3
04-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Deleted. Can't read early in the morning [emoji15]

MVS
04-17-2016, 12:32 PM

I have so much invested in the Glock I am not sure I will ever replace it as my carry platform of choice. I have been wanting a "nice" gun however and the WC Beretta seems to fill the bill. I have also been looking at the Dan Wesson Guardian, though I realize that is 180 degree opposite platform.

M2CattleCo
04-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Where are y'all finding mags for the 92 compact?

Sal Picante
04-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Where are y'all finding mags for the 92 compact?
CDNN had 'em...

Beretta USA also.

MVS
04-17-2016, 01:42 PM
CDNN had 'em...

Beretta USA also.

Do the full size ones run ok in them?

Sal Picante
04-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Do the full size ones run ok in them?

Yup - a little long, but thats ok if you're using it as a reload...

LHS
04-18-2016, 05:41 PM
I got my WC 92G Compact recently as well. This time I sprung for the trigger job, and it's the second nicest 92 trigger I own (behind my Langdon-tuned 92G Elite). I think it's a great IDPA gun, but there are two minor things that bug me when thinking about it as a carry piece. First, it doesn't have night sights. Second, the WC rear sight, while providing an outstanding sight picture, has a lot of sharp edges and would tear my shirts to pieces if I carried it a lot. Both of those are fixable, but I'd have loved to see the gun come with a tritium front sight and a dehorned rear. Oh well, it's still a great-feeling 92, shoots great, and its serial number matches my BrigTac and CQB :)

Clobbersaurus
04-18-2016, 09:38 PM
So, just to be clear, I meant exactly what I said in my original post. My understanding is that the M9A3 'G' conversion lever will retrofit any 92FS to a G configuration without machining. I said rumor as I haven't seen Beretta USA post officially about this (I suspect they'll roll it out next week at SHOT) nor have we seen any M9A3 'G' kits (yet). I actually heard about this several months ago from a highly credible source, but hadn't seen anything since. More recently though, Stimpee (who has posted here in this thread and works for Beretta USA) has commented on this development over at Beretta Forum in the Convert 92FS to 92G (http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=120755) thread. He also posted the following in the M9A3 G conversion (http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=120560) thread.

I do my best to keep the signal to noise ratio fairly high around here. Between the original information I heard last summer and Stimpee's more recent comments, I'm satisfied that this is real enough to post here. It does appear that Beretta will indeed offer a 'Bag o' parts' that will convert a 92FS to a 92G. Not sure whether this applies to the 92A1 or 90Two (as those are unique snowflakes in the 92 lineup and Stimpee's post said 'standard FS slides'), but perhaps Stimpee can comment here if we ask nicely.

Okay, I've been waiting patiently for this an it's been four months now. :(

Can someone confirm this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcUFvbcWCw

Hot Sauce
04-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Maybe I am hoping it will be what I thought my CGW P-07 would be.

What ended up not working for you about the P-07?

Sal Picante
04-19-2016, 09:24 AM

First I've heard of it... Maybe GJM knows more?

GJM
04-19-2016, 01:33 PM
First I've heard of it... Maybe GJM knows more?

Nope. I follow Bill-retta's projects, but read BUSA press releases at the same time as the general public does.

Puma
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Thus far I'm digging my Wilson Beretta, so much in fact that i sold all my glock accessories and equipment, and purchased another Brig-Tac. Since this platform is new to me, what are some of the service items/intervals i should abide by? RSA, mainspring and such, and at what interval should they be replaced?

Sal Picante
04-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Thus far I'm digging my Wilson Beretta, so much in fact that i sold all my glock accessories and equipment, and purchased another Brig-Tac. Since this platform is new to me, what are some of the service items/intervals i should abide by? RSA, mainspring and such, and at what interval should they be replaced?

Change your TRS whenever you do a cleaning (assuming you clean ~every two months)... Change your RSA ~5000-8000 rds? (I change it when I do a cleaning)

Consider learning to detail strip. Do that twice a year if you're shooting ~4000 a month. If you're not getting up there, I'd say forget it and use your time more wisely...

Check your extractor and extractor spring that they're GTG. A worn extractor looks "rolled" and loses the ability to grab the brass... (Will add that the extractors seem to hold on for years... Unlike CZ extractors which chip in months...)

Trooper224
04-19-2016, 04:59 PM

In order to keep it simple, give the gun a complete spring overhaul every five thousand rounds. This includes the recoil, firing pin, trigger return, trigger bar and slide stop springs. Beretta recommends replacing the locking block at 22,000 rounds. I replace mine at 15,000 as a cheap form of insurance.

Sal Picante
04-19-2016, 05:36 PM
In order to keep it simple, give the gun a complete spring overhaul every five thousand rounds. This includes the recoil, firing pin, trigger return, trigger bar and slide stop springs. Beretta recommends replacing the locking block at 22,000 rounds. I replace mine at 15,000 as a cheap form of insurance.

Wow - I've lost a few Trigger bar springs, but haven't ever broken 'em... Ditto with the slide stop spring - though they get mangled sometimes when taking out...

As for the trigger bar - they're not exactly wear parts either... I mean, they'll get grooved, but they should last at least a few seasons (unless you're dry firing like a fiend)

MVS
04-19-2016, 05:38 PM
What ended up not working for you about the P-07?

The gun itself worked just fine. Ran it in an Ernest Langdon pistol class and IT was flawless. Handled one of his Berettas while at the class and didn't feel my P-07 was anything special after that.

MVS
04-19-2016, 05:40 PM

Wow, maybe I don't want one, that is about 5 times more often than I service a Glock.

45dotACP
04-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Wow, maybe I don't want one, that is about 5 times more often than I service a Glock.
Style has a price ;)

JSGlock34
04-19-2016, 08:30 PM

Stimpee posted below last month about the M9A3 G variant...I've asked him to weigh in here, but I imagine not much has changed.

The G models have not been produced yet. We have had some significant delays with a supplier on the G safety components. We are doing our best to rectify that and get on track but when combined with the In-process move to TN, it will be a bit yet.

Trooper224
04-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Wow - I've lost a few Trigger bar springs, but haven't ever broken 'em... Ditto with the slide stop spring - though they get mangled sometimes when taking out...

As for the trigger bar - they're not exactly wear parts either... I mean, they'll get grooved, but they should last at least a few seasons (unless you're dry firing like a fiend)

I was referencing the trigger bar spring, not the bar itself.

Trooper224
04-19-2016, 11:00 PM

Those are simply the manufacturers recommendations. Whether or not you want to follow it is up to you. Springs are cheap and they aren't hard to replace.

M2CattleCo
04-20-2016, 10:14 AM

But it sure is nice to have a pistol truly works out of the box and doesn't ding you with brass. Not to mention that I don't have to
shoot 25K rounds a month with all my mite to not miss low/left with a Beretta or Sig.

Sal Picante
04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Those are simply the manufacturers recommendations. Whether or not you want to follow it is up to you. Springs are cheap and they aren't hard to replace.

You are correct that they're the recommendation - the reality is that pistols will far exceed this. Way I look at it is that, once you've got it opened up, there is piece of mind in just replacing the RS and the TRS...

The firing pin spring is a PITA to replace really: serious detail strip required to break down the top-end - If I can do that ~twice a year, that's a win in my book...

Compared to the GLOCK, the requires maybe a few more seconds of maintenance: mainly replacing a TRS. On GLOCKS a solid 2 months of shooting (assuming ~4000 a month) it would be wise to look at the extractor and check the FP for peening/breechface for FP hole damage in addition to swapping the RSA. (just my $0.02)

ReverendMeat
04-20-2016, 12:08 PM

The recoil spring is dirt cheap and as easy to replace as the gun is to field strip. The other springs require you to take the grips off so if you remember righty-tighty lefty-loosey you're looking at about ten minutes tops, depending on how many tries it'll take you to get the TRS lined up right. The exception is the firing pin spring, which I haven't done yet (and am going to procrastinate as much as possible) 'cause that one requires you to pull the firing pin block, extractor, and safety/decocker assembly out and holy hell there's a lot of little pins and springs in there..

Jared
04-20-2016, 03:43 PM
As stated above, detailing the 92 isn't bad at all until you tear the slide apart. Even then, I've done things that were much worse in my professional life. After you do it the first time it gets a LOT easier.

One tip on the slide, do it inside a plastic bag, and work patiently. That pays big dividends.

Trooper224
04-20-2016, 04:47 PM
The firing pin spring is a PITA to replace really: serious detail strip required to break down the top-end - If I can do that ~twice a year, that's a win in my book...

Yes it is and if I'm going to fudge on anything it's that. When I break down the slide it's more to check the condition of the firing pin than worries over the fps. The fps gets changed because I'm in there and don't want to go there again any sooner than necessary. I have two remaining 92's. One that's used for carry, when I choose to carry the 92, and my training gun. The carry piece gets everything changed at 5k rounds because I don't want any room for error and springs are cheap insurance. The training gun? Admittedly, I'm not so religious on that one, except for the recoil spring.

ReverendMeat
04-20-2016, 05:14 PM
After y'all pull the extractor when stripping the slide do you re-stake the extractor pin, or is that not hugely necessary?

Sal Picante
04-20-2016, 05:32 PM
After y'all pull the extractor when stripping the slide do you re-stake the extractor pin, or is that not hugely necessary?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/nonono.jpg

MVS
04-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Well I have to say I am huuuugely disappointed. Preface this by saying that the only Beretta I have handled since the Army 25 years ago was Ernest Langdon's. I went to my LGS today after work to see how hard it would be for him to get me the WC/Beretta Compact or if I should just order it online and have it shipped to him. Well to my surprise he had one in the case. I figure it was fate. Then I handled it. The fit and finish were beautiful. The slide felt like it was on teflon/ceramic ball bearings, smoooth. The gun was gorgeous to look at. The trigger was, well yuck. Double was long and heavy, single, what is that like 3 inches of take up. That can be fixed though. The bigger problem was the fact that I can not decock the gun without dramatically shifting it in my hand. Same with the mag release. (I am left handed.) I almost cried. He was even going to give it to me for a discount.

JSGlock34
04-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Perhaps you should try a Vertec or M9A3?

ralph
04-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Well I have to say I am huuuugely disappointed. Preface this by saying that the only Beretta I have handled since the Army 25 years ago was Ernest Langdon's. I went to my LGS today after work to see how hard it would be for him to get me the WC/Beretta Compact or if I should just order it online and have it shipped to him. Well to my surprise he had one in the case. I figure it was fate. Then I handled it. The fit and finish were beautiful. The slide felt like it was on teflon/ceramic ball bearings, smoooth. The gun was gorgeous to look at. The trigger was, well yuck. Double was long and heavy, single, what is that like 3 inches of take up. That can be fixed though. The bigger problem was the fact that I can not decock the gun without dramatically shifting it in my hand. Same with the mag release. (I am left handed.) I almost cried. He was even going to give it to me for a discount.

You do know that the mag release can easily be switched for a lefty. I'd also look at a Vertec, I have a inox Vertec and prefer it's grip over a standard 92's grip.

MVS
04-20-2016, 07:25 PM
You do know that the mag release can easily be switched for a lefty. I'd also look at a Vertec, I have a inox Vertec and prefer it's grip over a standard 92's grip.

Typically I don't care for switching the mag releases out as my Glocks all have it on the left side and that is where most of my reps are. I really wasn't in the market for a Beretta, just a nice gun and the Wilson Combat model caught my eye.

JTQ
04-20-2016, 07:28 PM
The bigger problem was the fact that I can not decock the gun without dramatically shifting it in my hand. Same with the mag release. (I am left handed.) I almost cried. He was even going to give it to me for a discount.
Since you previously mentioned you're a Glock shooter, we could use Glock marketing and call those things features.

Because you can't reach the mag release without shifting your hand from a firing grip, it prevents you from accidentally releasing a mag while you're shooting. If you're at a point where you're decocking the gun, you probably are OK to shift the gun in your hand, or use your off hand. Though there is no law saying you have to like the Beretta.

Trooper224
04-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Nope.

Hot Sauce
04-20-2016, 08:54 PM
The bigger problem was the fact that I can not decock the gun without dramatically shifting it in my hand. Same with the mag release. (I am left handed.) I almost cried.

I have to do a somewhat awkward reach with my thumb, too. I figure that by the time I'm decocking one handed, the danger has passed and I can take a second to do it. But it is certainly a point worth considering if it makes you uncomfortable, as it is too much to spend on a gun that you just sorta like, IMO.

M2CattleCo
04-20-2016, 08:58 PM

The pin walk out if you don't stake it.

MVS
04-20-2016, 09:10 PM
I have to do a somewhat awkward reach with my thumb, too. I figure that by the time I'm decocking one handed, the danger has passed and I can take a second to do it. But it is certainly a point worth considering if it makes you uncomfortable, as it is too much to spend on a gun that you just sorta like, IMO.

Odd, but I found just enough difference between the two sides that using it right handed I could decock without shifting my grip, but not left handed.

Trooper224
04-20-2016, 09:13 PM
The pin walk out if you don't stake it.

It may or it may not. I've removed several and have yet to need to restake one.

Clobbersaurus
04-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Disassembly and maintenance of the Beretta is not overly complicated. I just follow the video's and use a big plastic bag when working on the slide bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc_wb5YaU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mza4o8VOj9M

Trooper224
04-20-2016, 10:30 PM
I just follow the video's and use a big plastic bag when working on the slide bits.

This CAN NOT be overstated.

OnionsAndDragons
04-21-2016, 12:14 PM
I can sympathize with issues regarding the decocker placement.

It's very natural for me to decock SIGs after every string of fire, between movements, etc. Impossible for me to do it fluidly with an FS series because of the extra step off safe. I could do it with the G series guns I tried at an Ernesto class, but it wasn't quite as "right" feeling as a SIG to me. Could just be number of reps, familiarity.

I can definitely see it being tougher for one with smaller paws.

I want a 92 really badly, but I'm holding out for something with a Vertec grip and G series ability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jondoe297
04-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Could just be number of reps, familiarity.

That's most likely what it is, but ya know, different strokes for different folks. I learned to shoot a pistol on the 92 platform, so it's always sort of been natural to me.

Sal Picante
04-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Disassembly and maintenance of the Beretta is not overly complicated. I just follow the video's and use a big plastic bag when working on the slide bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc_wb5YaU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mza4o8VOj9M

Just keep in mind that with G-guns, you need to depress the decock lever spring before you can rotate the decocking lever "upwards"...

Clobbersaurus
04-21-2016, 07:49 PM
Just keep in mind that with G-guns, you need to depress the decock lever spring before you can rotate the decocking lever "upwards"...

Thanks for that tip. I've never actually removed a G Lever but I have done an F model.

FotoTomas
04-28-2016, 04:16 AM
When I went through the armorers school oh so many years ago the instructor "Van" indicated re staking is a necessity. On those agency Berettas that I subsequently had to service they were re-staked. As for the safety issues...D model is where it's at!

Sal Picante
04-28-2016, 01:37 PM
When I went through the armorers school oh so many years ago the instructor "Van" indicated re staking is a necessity. On those agency Berettas that I subsequently had to service they were re-staked. As for the safety issues...D model is where it's at!

Liability necessity or... Just say'n

FotoTomas
04-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Liability necessity or... Just say'n

Quite possible a simple CYA. Most CYA recommendations have a basis in fact as well. I have had Beretta pins give me problems in the past and staking was necessary. I recently (Last month) had a used Beretta 950 that had a creeping pin problem in the frame. Pin would creep and the slide lock up. Staked the pin and no more problems. Seems to me it is a thing that is better to do than not to do especially if they recommend it in the armorers class. To each their own.

JSGlock34
04-30-2016, 03:27 PM
More M9A3 parts showing up on the Beretta website, including the rubber wrap around grip (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/wrap-around-backstrap-m9a3-backstrap/ud5a1517/), ammo box style hard case (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/m9a3-brown-upright-pistol-case-brown-case-with-black-handles/ud6a0448/), and '92A3' magazines with the FDE basepad (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mag-m9a3-17rd/jmm9a317/). 17 round PVD coated sand-resistant magazines had appeared previously, but with the black base pad (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mag-90two-spec-duty-pvd-9-17-pvd-9mm-17-unpackaged/c83734/). By my math the FDE basepad costs $5 extra...and I'm not a big fan of the 17 round magazines to being with.

So long as Beretta is selling miscellaneous M9A3 parts...how about some factory threaded barrels? Beretta?

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/0/15/DimLarge/UD5A1517.jpg
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/0/15/DimLarge/ud6a0448.jpg
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/0/15/DimLarge/JMM9A317.jpg

LockedBreech
04-30-2016, 03:39 PM
More M9A3 parts showing up on the Beretta website, including the rubber wrap around grip (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/wrap-around-backstrap-m9a3-backstrap/ud5a1517/), ammo box style hard case (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/m9a3-brown-upright-pistol-case-brown-case-with-black-handles/ud6a0448/), and '92A3' magazines with the FDE basepad (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mag-m9a3-17rd/jmm9a317/). 17 round PVD coated sand-resistant magazines had appeared previously, but with the black base pad (http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/mag-90two-spec-duty-pvd-9-17-pvd-9mm-17-unpackaged/c83734/). By my math the FDE basepad costs $5 extra...and I'm not a big fan of the 17 round magazines to being with.

So long as Beretta is selling miscellaneous M9A3 parts...how about some factory threaded barrels? Beretta?

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/0/15/DimLarge/UD5A1517.jpg
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/0/15/DimLarge/ud6a0448.jpg
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/0/15/DimLarge/JMM9A317.jpg

You know, I own 5-6 of the Beretta factory 17 rounders and the 18 round Mec Gars, and I never had an issue but I've switched back to the factory 15-rounders. About as proven as it gets and the insert/eject is always super positive.

Getting excited to see more parts though. I'm ready to own an M9A3.

JSGlock34
04-30-2016, 04:12 PM
You know, I own 5-6 of the Beretta factory 17 rounders and the 18 round Mec Gars, and I never had an issue but I've switched back to the factory 15-rounders. About as proven as it gets and the insert/eject is always super positive.

Getting excited to see more parts though. I'm ready to own an M9A3.

I've posted elsewhere (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13248-Beretta-92-Magazines&p=351233&viewfull=1#post351233) on my issues with the 17 round base pads. Having cracked all three of the ones I owned for a 100% failure rate and with spare base pads expensive and difficult to find, I don't recommend the 17s and wouldn't purchase them again. With CDNN periodically selling the MecGar 18 round magazines for under $17/each, I see no reason to buy anything else.

No issues with any of my OEM 15 rounders though. Solid magazines.

LockedBreech
04-30-2016, 04:38 PM
I've posted elsewhere (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13248-Beretta-92-Magazines&p=351233&viewfull=1#post351233) on my issues with the 17 round base pads. Having cracked all three of the ones I owned for a 100% failure rate and with spare base pads expensive and difficult to find, I don't recommend the 17s and wouldn't purchase them again. With CDNN periodically selling the MecGar 18 round magazines for under $17/each, I see no reason to buy anything else.

Thanks for the information. I'll save the 17s for range only and stick to 15s or 18s for carry/HD.

Sal Picante
04-30-2016, 04:38 PM

Totally - that said, the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop Beretta Basepads are the best thing ever.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/beretta-easy-off-aluminum-extended-base-pad-basepad-by-shockbottle/

For the MecGars, I use the CZ base pads (Hey - I had 20 or so... don't hate)

LockedBreech
04-30-2016, 04:43 PM
This is actually pretty scary because for most of the last year I used the 17 for nightstand because I figured factory would be a more reliable than one stuffing in 18 rounds.

You know what they say about assumptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
04-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Totally - that said, the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop Beretta Basepads are the best thing ever.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/beretta-easy-off-aluminum-extended-base-pad-basepad-by-shockbottle/

For the MecGars, I use the CZ base pads (Hey - I had 20 or so... don't hate)

I'm sure they're awesome, but if I'm going to spend $24.95 on a base pad, it'll come attached to a magazine.:p

In all honesty, the broken base pads were my experience with the 17 round mags and I broke 100% of the mags I owned. That was enough for me, but I haven't seen widespread reports of failures, so maybe I'm just hexed.

OlongJohnson
04-30-2016, 07:53 PM
I picked up several of the sand-tolerant 12-round mags for my 96 awhile back. The anti-friction coating actually gets kinda rubbery/tacky/sticky in our gulf coast humidity around here. Maybe it's a good dry lube, but it's a poor humid-lube. One of the mags swells to where can't be inserted with a reasonable amount of force when loaded with 12 rounds, and all of them are much smoother with only 11.

Edwin
05-01-2016, 01:12 AM
There's always the Springer basepads too.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=935C7628A64C2981436CFBDACCE 16F5B.m1plqscsfapp01?categoryId=53

HCM
05-01-2016, 01:28 AM
Does anyone know of the 92A3 rubber wrap around grip works with a regular vertec ?

JSGlock34
05-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Does anyone know of the 92A3 rubber wrap around grip works with a regular vertec ?

I certainly haven't tested it to be sure, but the description on the BerettaUSA website says "Beretta M9A3 Rubber Grips - Wrap-Around, Vertec version, fits only Vertec frames."

Clobbersaurus
05-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Have any of you dudes tried the old Pachmayr rubber grips? Are they grippy/tacky, or are they just slippery hard rubber?

I'm desperate for a decent set of grips for my competition gun. Grip tape works but it's flailing the skin off at the base of my index finger. I can't stipple my grips due to IPSC regs.

Lon
05-01-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm desperate for a decent set of grips for my competition gun. Grip tape works but it's flailing the skin off at the base of my index finger. I can't stipple my grips due to IPSC regs.

Have you looked at these?

http://jerrybarnhart.com/shop/beretta-92f

OlongJohnson
05-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Have any of you dudes tried the old Pachmayr rubber grips? Are they grippy/tacky, or are they just slippery hard rubber?

I have put a set on my 96. Haven't gotten it out to the range since adding them yet, but I like the feel of the Pachmayrs on everything. They are kind of in-between a Hogue tacky and a hard plastic. Soft-touch but not rubbery, a nice balance. They generally add a lot of girth to a pistol, so if you have small hands, you may not like them as well.

HCM
05-01-2016, 12:20 PM
I have put a set on my 96. Haven't gotten it out to the range since adding them yet, but I like the feel of the Pachmayrs on everything. They are kind of in-between a Hogue tacky and a hard plastic. Soft-touch but not rubbery, a nice balance. They generally add a lot of girth to a pistol, so if you have small hands, you may not like them as well.

You can do just just the side panels with skateboard tape front and back to minimize the girth.

Clobbersaurus
05-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Have you looked at these?

Thanks for the link! I just contacted him, hopefully he ships to Canada!

Luke
05-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the link! I just contacted him, hopefully he ships to Canada!

If I'm reading it right, those are OEM grips that are modified. I thought ipsc was no modifications?

JTQ
05-02-2016, 08:38 PM
I've noticed Ergo Grips now has Beretta 92 grips. http://ergogrips.net/products/handgun-grips/ergo-beretta-model-92.html

Clobbersaurus
05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
If I'm reading it right, those are OEM grips that are modified. I thought ipsc was no modifications?

Yeah it says in rule 16.1 that modifications to OFM parts is prohibited........but rule 17.3 states: "17.3 Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3a) are permitted. However, rubber sleeves are prohibited."

I wouldn't modify the grips I would buy them as an aftermarket part, from his website. It's a stupid distinction I know, not sure it it follows the rules or not.

It seems my conversion to full gamer is almost complete.....

Clobbersaurus
05-02-2016, 09:31 PM
I've noticed Ergo Grips now has Beretta 92 grips. http://ergogrips.net/products/handgun-grips/ergo-beretta-model-92.html

I can't get them in the Great White North.....:(

HCM
05-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Hogue also makes rubber replacement panels similar to the standard grips, in fact they were offered as OEM on some 92/96 models. I had a set on my 96D Brig duty gun back in the day along with skate tape but I had to buy the ones from Beretta with the logo for them to be recognized as a "factory" part. Shot my first USPSA match with that gun.

OlongJohnson
05-02-2016, 11:23 PM
The way the front strap kicks out at the bottom doesn't work for me - it makes my strong-hand pinky finger feel scrunched. I went with wraparound Hogues at first to straighten out the run of the front strap. The finger separators were in the wrong place, so I ground them off, and it all worked out pretty well.

HCM
05-03-2016, 01:31 AM
The way the front strap kicks out at the bottom doesn't work for me - it makes my strong-hand pinky finger feel scrunched. I went with wraparound Hogues at first to straighten out the run of the front strap. The finger separators were in the wrong place, so I ground them off, and it all worked out pretty well.

I'm not referring to the wrap around Hogues with the finger grooves.

They are crap on both the SIG and Beretta. They are too big unless you have XXXL hands and if you do have XXXL hands the finger grooves are too small.

Every shooter I've had at work saw there scores improve when we too the hogue wrap arounds off their beretta or SIG.

I was talking about these: http://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/beretta-9296-series-rubber-grip-panels-black/4195

Here is the same thing (Made by Hogue) but with the Beretta logo, from Beretta so there is no question it's a "factory" part.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-92-series-rubber-grips/jg92fsr2/

Mike C
05-03-2016, 07:37 AM
FYI, Wilson 92G Compacts are in the wild. Saw one yesterday at Palmetto State Armory in Columbia SC. They are pretty sweet.

rd62
05-04-2016, 11:36 AM
FYI, Wilson 92G Compacts are in the wild. Saw one yesterday at Palmetto State Armory in Columbia SC. They are pretty sweet.

I'm going to have to get by and check that out.

GyroF-16
05-04-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm not referring to the wrap around Hogues with the finger grooves.

They are crap on both the SIG and Beretta. They are too big unless you have XXXL hands and if you do have XXXL hands the finger grooves are too small.

Every shooter I've had at work saw there scores improve when we too the hogue wrap arounds off their beretta or SIG.

I was talking about these: http://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/beretta-9296-series-rubber-grip-panels-black/4195

Here is the same thing (Made by Hogue) but with the Beretta logo, from Beretta so there is no question it's a "factory" part.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-92-series-rubber-grips/jg92fsr2/

These are my preferred grip panel for 92/96 full size and compact frames. Not perceptibly thicker than stock, but a better grip without the sharp checkering of Alumigrips.

Gyro

Clobbersaurus
05-12-2016, 11:48 PM
I received a set of Barhart "Burner" grips and did about ten minutes of dry practice with them.

They are very grippy, with slightly less texture than grip tape. They fit perfectly, and are just very slightly thicker than the OEM grips.
I'm digging them so far, but need a few more weeks with them to really wring them out.

http://i.imgur.com/yRA1QLr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fZqqNYh.jpg

Sal Picante
05-13-2016, 09:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fZqqNYh.jpg

OMG!! Vintage!!!

Where the hell did you find burner grips?

Sal Picante
05-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Burner grips!

Clobbersaurus
05-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Burner grips!

Yep! They were great go deal with, great communication via e-mail and super fast shipping too.

MGW
05-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Burner grips!

Hmmm. Seen any of the Sig grips? Are they scalloped to make getting to the mag release easier?

texag
05-14-2016, 04:18 PM
The gentleman at the pistol bay next to me today had to borrow some tools to lock down a loose set screw on the rear sight of his 92. A quick glance and it looked like a WC model, so I asked and he said it was indeed a WC 92G with an action tune and the short reach trigger, and offered to let me shoot it. HOLY. CRAP. First round was at 25 yds DA. I was taken aback by the pull. It was a completely new level of good from the p30 LEM v TLG I have now. SA was just freaking ridiculous. I moved in a bit closer and it felt like cheating compared to my p30 when shooting quick-ish. Sight tracking felt so easy. I handed him the gun back, told him how awesome it was, and promptly considered throwing my p30 over the berm and pouting all the way home from the range.

For those that have Beretta experience, how easy is it to get a trigger that good with a normal Beretta? Would a D spring and Elite hammer get me most of the way there?

Question

ReverendMeat
05-14-2016, 04:25 PM
I haven't tried an elite hammer but the steel trigger + D spring as offered by BUSA is a decent combination.

rojocorsa
05-14-2016, 11:10 PM
For those that have Beretta experience, how easy is it to get a trigger that good with a normal Beretta? Would a D spring and Elite hammer get me most of the way there?

Question

Steel trigger + D-spring from Beretta's website. If your 92 is broken in because you already shoot it, I find that helps a lot too, in my humble opinion.

Matt O
05-14-2016, 11:20 PM

The elite hammer doesn't do anything for the double action pull - a D spring, proper lubrication and some dry fire will get you a fantastic Beretta trigger. In my opinion, while a lot of other DA/SA guns require $$ to get a good trigger, a Beretta just needs some dry fire love.

Clobbersaurus
05-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Ok Dudes, my new Dawson F0 sight is putting rounds about 4 inches low at 25 if I shoot the dot. Current rear is about .270. Novak makes. .320 rear and Wilson makes a bunch of sizes in between. Does anyone know which height would get me close?

Dave J
05-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Ok Dudes, my new Dawson F0 sight is putting rounds about 4 inches low at 25 if I shoot the dot. Current rear is about .270. Novak makes. .320 rear and Wilson makes a bunch of sizes in between. Does anyone know which height would get me close?

On a full size 92, .0073" of sight change will shift POI by 1" at 25 yds.

So, you probably want a .295 or .300"

GJM
05-23-2016, 10:38 PM

What model 92? I run a .305 Novak rear on Elite and G-SD pistols with a Dawson FO.

Clobbersaurus
05-23-2016, 11:53 PM
What model 92? I run a .305 Novak rear on Elite and G-SD pistols with a Dawson FO.

Thanks for the response, It's an Elite II.

Where are you finding the .305 Novak? I only see a .320 at Brownells.

GJM
05-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the response, It's an Elite II.

Where are you finding the .305 Novak? I only see a .320 at Brownells.

Always called Novak's and ordered them. I saw in Pepperoni's journal Novak may be discontinuing them, so I would call down there ASAP.

http://www.novaksights.com/

Sent from my iPad

Sal Picante
05-24-2016, 08:13 AM
Always called Novak's and ordered them. I saw in Pepperoni's journal Novak may be discontinuing them, so I would call down there ASAP.

http://www.novaksights.com/

Sent from my iPad

Yeah - you want the .305" Call Novak. the site is STILL not ready (hasn't been ready in fucking years...)

Sal Picante
05-24-2016, 08:14 AM
If you call Novak, ask/beg/tell 'em not to discontinue the all-black sights. Maybe say that if they had their e-commerce sight up and running they'd actually sell some of 'em...

Clobbersaurus
05-24-2016, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys, will call/beg right away.

CoGT3
05-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Order site is up. Ordered 2 all black .290 but listed as backordered. Will call tomorrow to follow up and through in some begging about continuing production.

texag
05-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Just over a week after shooting a WC 92G BrigTac, I bought a compact. Holster is on the way.

I don't know if this was already hashed out in the thread, but I did find a few annoyances with the pistol, especially given it carries the moniker "compact carry":

1. Why doesn't it use a low profile or single side decocker?

2. Why not slim grips as standard?

3. There are some sharp edges where the trigger guard meets with the grip that are tearing up my knuckle.

Minor annoyances, but items 1 and 2 are things I will probably add down the road, along with the action upgrade and a mag guide.

Does anyone know where I could source baseplates? Preferably a completely flat baseplate or the mecgar + 2 ones.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9s7vZe.jpg

JSGlock34
05-24-2016, 09:15 PM
There are some sharp edges where the trigger guard meets with the grip that are tearing up my knuckle.

Minor annoyances, but items 1 and 2 are things I will probably add down the road, along with the action upgrade and a mag guide.

If you're going to send it back to Wilson for the action tune anyway, I recommend having them aggressively dehorn the frame and refinish in Armor Tuff. My Brigadier Tactical had a real hot spot in the same place you mention. It wasn't a big deal for the average range trip, but definitely something I noticed during a two day class with Ernest Langdon. The dehorn seems to have done the trick, and the Armor Tuff is nice.

Clobbersaurus
05-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Order site is up. Ordered 2 all black .290 but listed as backordered. Will call tomorrow to follow up and through in some begging about continuing production.

Where are you finding the site? I am looking at Google now and all I can find is the link GJM kindly provided.

CoGT3
05-24-2016, 09:46 PM
http://novak.hydrabackoffice.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9524

GJM
05-24-2016, 09:46 PM
If you're going to send it back to Wilson for the action tune anyway, I recommend having them aggressively dehorn the frame and refinish in Armor Tuff. My Brigadier Tactical had a real hot spot in the same place you mention. It wasn't a big deal for the average range trip, but definitely something I noticed during a two day class with Ernest Langdon. The dehorn seems to have done the trick, and the Armor Tuff is nice.

When I got my Compact, I had them do an action job with their trigger bar, a dehorn and Armor Tuff, and the finished product was outstanding!

texag
05-24-2016, 10:01 PM

I was planning on doing the action upgrade kit where the end user is responsible for the fitting. A trip to Wilson seems dangerous to my allotted personal budget. If it's there for a dehorn and refinish, why not get the front sight drilled for a fiber optic? And on it goes...

I'll get it on the range Monday before I start to worry about changes. Slim grips are the only one I'm really set on right now.

The little section at the bottom of the grip causes my right hand pinky to move forward and crush into my wedding band...guess I'm going to be shooting without rings on for range time. There are always nits to pick, but I am pretty stoked with the pistol. It is the perfect size for being easy to conceal without really giving anything up on the range, and it's a nice enough gun that I'd be proud to pass it on one day.

Sal Picante
05-25-2016, 01:26 AM
Does anyone know where I could source baseplates? Preferably a completely flat baseplate or the mecgar + 2 ones.

I'll check if stand base plates work on a compact magazine...

BTW - instead of running a +2 magazine, perhaps consider reloading to a full-size magazine: more bb's.

texag
05-25-2016, 06:14 AM
I'll check if stand base plates work on a compact magazine...

BTW - instead of running a +2 magazine, perhaps consider reloading to a full-size magazine: more bb's.

True. My main goal if to get rid of the stupid standard baseplates it has now. I'll use the compact mags for carry in the gun and a fullsize mag on the range or as a reload, as the 13 rounders cost 2x as much as a mec gar 15 rd mag.

Dave J
05-25-2016, 03:47 PM
FWIW, the baseplates are interchangeable between standard and compact mags. Furthermore, the mag "guts" (spring, follower, etc.), are identical. I've occasionally seen compact mags for sale with the flat baseplates, but can't recall exactly where.

AdioSS
05-25-2016, 04:02 PM
I believe the older Compact 92 mags had flat base plates.

Too bad MecGar doesn't offer a Compact magazine. Considering that they fit 18rds into the standard size mag nearly fitting flush, I don't doubt that they could fit 15 in the Compact grip.

Sal Picante
05-25-2016, 06:15 PM
FWIW, the baseplates are interchangeable between standard and compact mags. Furthermore, the mag "guts" (spring, follower, etc.), are identical. I've occasionally seen compact mags for sale with the flat baseplates, but can't recall exactly where.

This isn't quite true... The newer Beretta magazines with the more "rectangular" base pads will fit, however the magazine will NOT seat in the gun.
Additionally, MecGar flat base pads and Ben Steoger CZ75-style base pads will also NOT seat in the gun.

The only "flush"/"flat" base pad that actually seats in the compact is the "wedge-shaped" Beretta base pad.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/Photo%20May%2025%2C%205%2029%2014%20PM.jpg

Dave J
05-25-2016, 06:27 PM
This isn't quite true... The newer Beretta magazines with the more "rectangular" base pads will fit, however the magazine will NOT seat in the gun.
Additionally, MecGar flat base pads and Ben Steoger CZ75-style base pads will also NOT seat in the gun.

The only "flush"/"flat" base pad that actually seats in the compact is the "wedge-shaped" Beretta base pad.

The ones I've used were the flat steel USGI style, which lock fine on my gun. Given all the other variants out there, I should have been more specific. Thanks for clarifying.

texag
05-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Well, that is quite annoying. I guess I will need to live with the standard slanty basepads.

In other news, I took a file to the offending trigger guard/grip juncture. Uglied up the gun but it is not painful to hold with a normal grip now.

Sal Picante
05-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Well, that is quite annoying. I guess I will need to live with the standard slanty basepads.

In other news, I took a file to the offending trigger guard/grip juncture. Uglied up the gun but it is not painful to hold with a normal grip now.

The slanty baseplate is not the same as the compact "pinky-support" baseplate, btw...

I'll work on getting a Stoeger/Shockbottle base pad and see how that looks.

Dave J
05-25-2016, 07:37 PM
FWIW, here's a snapshot of the current USGI style baseplate that will fit and work on the compact mags.

USGI on the left, compact mag with USGI baseplate on the right, center is the leftover 92C finger rest baseplate swapped onto a USGI mag.

The resulting flat base compact mag very closely resembles the pictures I've seen of factory flat base compact mags. I think AdioSS is correct that those were the original compact style.

A full size mag, with the leftover compact wedge-shaped basepad installed, works fine in a full size, BTW.

texag
05-30-2016, 08:31 PM
I managed to sneak in range trip today only to arrive to this:

http://i.imgur.com/EmPpRBF.jpg

1 bay was only 3/4 submerged with the rest being muddy but workable so I went through 50 rounds of carry ammo and 100 rounds of range ammo. Most of the time was spent getting used to the DA pull. There is some stacking, but I don't really feel any slower than with my HK. The transition to SA presents no problems and make shooting quickly and accurately super easy. I will have to re calibrate things. Multi shot strings are so much easier that I was going too slow on speed work because I was pacing myself for the LEM trigger.

Slow speed accuracy was easy as well, here's 10 rounds at 7 yds (furthest distance I could shoot today):

http://i.imgur.com/PiqEyu0.jpg

First round was DA on that group.

For daytime use I found the basic white dot sight great. Decocking every time the gun came off target is already second nature, and I never held the slide release down by mistake but found it easy to hit when needed. The biggest negative for me was the VZ grips destroying my hands. I'll just have to build up calluses over time.

breakingtime91
05-31-2016, 05:00 PM
where are the cheapest beretta mags located and does anyone have a decent/low cost owb mag pouch recommendation?

Nephrology
05-31-2016, 05:02 PM
where are the cheapest beretta mags located and does anyone have a decent/low cost owb mag pouch recommendation?

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/beretta-factorymecgaractmag-c-126/

is not a bad place to start.

rd62
05-31-2016, 06:48 PM
I just ordered a half a dozen 18rd MecGars from CDNN and a couple of basic mag carriers from Custom Carry Concepts.

Joe in PNG
05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
I just ordered a half a dozen 18rd MecGars from CDNN and a couple of basic mag carriers from Custom Carry Concepts.

Same here

JSGlock34
05-31-2016, 08:23 PM

Cheapest? No idea. But I don't buy the most expensive either. The Mec-Gar 18 round magazines are both excellent and a bargain. CDNN is a good place to look - they regularly have them on sale for under $17. Look for the OEM variety as you'll pay an extra $10 for the 'Mec-Gar' engraving. Here's the CDNN link - right now they're at $17.99/10, but if you wait I'm sure they'll go on sale again for less.

CDNN SPORTS - BERETTA 92 18RD 9MM ANTI FRICTION MAGAZINE (https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/beretta-92-18rd-9mm-anti-friction-magazine.html)

As for mag pouches, I think the Kytex magazine pouches hit the sweet spot for quality/price.

KYTEX Shooting Gear - Beretta 92/96 Mag Carrier (http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/beretta/berettataurus-92-mag-carrier/)

WobblyPossum
05-31-2016, 08:40 PM
I'll throw in another vote for the OEM marked Mec-Gar 18 rounders from CDNN. I picked up 5 for $16.89 each in April. If you don't need them immediately, I'd keep checking CDNN periodically to see if they run another sale like that.

texag
06-01-2016, 09:12 PM
What would y'all put in your 92 emergency repair kit? I'm thinking a few trigger springs, extractor/hammer/recoil spring, and an extractor.

Would y'all add a locking block

Willard
06-01-2016, 09:47 PM
What would y'all put in your 92 emergency repair kit? I'm thinking a few trigger springs, extractor/hammer/recoil spring, and an extractor.

3rd gen (or whatever we're on) is probably adequate without a spare. That said, because I have been exposed to earlier generation breakage, I'd always have a spare.

texag
06-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Still rocking my awesome farmer's tan from 3 days of hiking in Utah, here is the holster Armiger Solutions made for my Beretta. Tiny bit of printing from the decocking lever and butt of the gun. This makes me very glad I didn't cave and get a fullsize.

http://i.imgur.com/adUAiG3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mDZmGtN.jpg

CoGT3
06-07-2016, 08:15 PM

"I'm not dead yet"

So I called Novak and asked to change one sight to .305 as my 147gr were still hitting low. Was informed that the new sight really didn't work. Despite being able to even put in CC Info from the link I found via Google they couldn't see the order. So they took the order over the phone and one week later the sights are here. He did not know of any plans on discontinuing the all black Beretta rears either.

Both .290 and .305 where in stock and shipped quickly.

texag
06-07-2016, 08:19 PM
I ended up dremeling/filing off the front pinky rest part of my compact mag baseplates. Helped out with concealment and consistency on reloads.

If it stays dry and hot (96* today, it was a warm ride home on the motorcycle) the range should be dry soon.

After a few weeks of dryfire and a week of carry I want to do...nothing. Slim grips, 14lb hammer spring, trigger bar, and mag guide might be added over the coming year or two, but I'm damn happy as it sits. MY hands are slowly adapting to the VZ grips and their....grippiness.

JSGlock34
06-07-2016, 09:10 PM

Debating whether to pick up one of these...seems like a good amount of stuff for $30...

CDNN Sports: BERETTA 92 96 M9 FACTORY PARTS KIT 24 PIECE
(https://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials-html/beretta-92-96-m9-factory-parts-kit-24-piece.html)

Disassembly Button
Disassembly Lever
Disassembly Spring
Ejector
Ejector Spring Pin
Firing Pin
Firing Pin Block
Firing Pin Block Lever
Firing Pin Spring
Firing Pin Striker
Hammer
Hammer Release Lever
Hammer Strut
Headless Straight Pin
Lanyard Loop
Left Side Grip Panel
Magazine Release
Rear Sight
Safety Assembly
Sear
Slide Stop
Straight Headed Hammer Pin
Trigger
Trigger Bar

Clobbersaurus
06-07-2016, 10:25 PM
That's a great deal!

Sal Picante
06-07-2016, 10:44 PM
I picked up 2....

Hot Sauce
06-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Do you guys still think that kit is worth buying for a Wilson Brig Tac? At least some of them are not as relevant to it.

Hizzie
06-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Finally detail cleaned the WCBT in prep for sale. Cleaning the carbon, unburned powder and range dirt out of the action did amazing things for the trigger pull. Lubed with Slip2000. The DA and SA pulls are greatly improved.

breakingtime91
06-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Debating whether to pick up one of these...seems like a good amount of stuff for $30...

CDNN Sports: BERETTA 92 96 M9 FACTORY PARTS KIT 24 PIECE
(https://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials-html/beretta-92-96-m9-factory-parts-kit-24-piece.html)

Disassembly Button
Disassembly Lever
Disassembly Spring
Ejector
Ejector Spring Pin
Firing Pin
Firing Pin Block
Firing Pin Block Lever
Firing Pin Spring
Firing Pin Striker
Hammer
Hammer Release Lever
Hammer Strut
Headless Straight Pin
Lanyard Loop
Left Side Grip Panel
Magazine Release
Rear Sight
Safety Assembly
Sear
Slide Stop
Straight Headed Hammer Pin
Trigger
Trigger Bar

this works in the 92a1 right?

Sal Picante
06-15-2016, 04:43 PM
this works in the 92a1 right?

Yeah, most of the small parts do... Maybe not the takedown lever.

Sal Picante
06-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Do you guys still think that kit is worth buying for a Wilson Brig Tac? At least some of them are not as relevant to it.

Was cheaper than buying a few firing pins, sears, and block separately... So yeah, seemed to make some sense.

ralph
06-15-2016, 08:14 PM
I bought one, I bought some WC trigger return springs and #16 hammer springs, plus some wolfe recoil springs awhile back right after buying my Vertec, this kit and a locking block kit, should keep it running for a long time. Those parts are well worth $30.

texag
06-18-2016, 04:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2frhyHEh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p8QZTusl.jpg

2nd pic shows the cut down compact mag floorplate.

I shot TERRIBLY today. The issues I had in live fire are not showing up in dryfire at all. I guess I will have to go super slow and work on trigger control exclusively in live fire.

Hizzie
06-18-2016, 05:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2frhyHEh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p8QZTusl.jpg

2nd pic shows the cut down compact mag floorplate.

I shot TERRIBLY today. The issues I had in live fire are not showing up in dryfire at all. I guess I will have to go super slow and work on trigger control exclusively in live fire.

Bust out the smartphone and video yourself with slow motion.

ralph
06-20-2016, 12:31 PM
Just a little follow up to the parts kits cdnn has....I received mine today, closer inspection shows that these are indeed M9 parts kits, NOS, in of course, new, unused condidtion, and as a added bonus, they're all steel parts, I put mine up in oil for long term storage, these are a bargin, anyone sitting on the fence thinking about buying one, I would'nt wait too long..

JSGlock34
06-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Just a heads up to folks contemplating sending the Wilson 92G Compact Carry to Tooltech (http://tooltechgunsight.com) for a tritium install in the front sight...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Effective immediately, Tooltech Gunsight will no longer be offering Trijicon Night Sights on Beretta 92 or Beretta 96 series slides. We are working on a solution to be able to offer night sights on these models in the near future. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Hopefully a temporary issue, but another reason to see more dovetailed front sights across the 92 lineup.

Nephrology
06-21-2016, 06:54 AM
Hopefully a temporary issue, but another reason to see more dovetailed front sights across the 92 lineup.

Personally I am still astonished that so many of their guns are sold with the fixed sights. I seriously can't think of any modern manufacturer that does this, with the exception of some S&W J frames, or GI-style 1911 models. Certainly can't think of any modern autopistols ....

Sal Picante
06-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Personally I am still astonished that so many of their guns are sold with the fixed sights. I seriously can't think of any modern manufacturer that does this, with the exception of some S&W J frames, or GI-style 1911 models. Certainly can't think of any modern autopistols ....

I kinda get it due to the military contract, etc... Fixed sight, less things to break, bump, get outta whack.

Do I like it? So-so... I carry a 92G or a 92G compact with fixed sights... I like that peace of mind.

JSGlock34
06-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Beretta introducing a Langdon Tactical 92! (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21095-Beretta-introducing-a-Langdon-Tactical-92!)

I thought it deserved a thread of its own, but since this is the ultimate pistol-forum.com Beretta thread, I can't help but mention it here.

breakingtime91
06-21-2016, 09:00 PM
can anyone tell me what aprts don't interchange between the 92a1 and other 90 series guns? keep hearing that it doesn't work with 92fs stuff. Sorry just a newb to the pizza gun.

JTQ
06-21-2016, 10:44 PM
The take down button sure shouldn't work as it is round on the right side of the 92A1 while all of the other Beretta 92/M9 guns have an oval button.

Jared
06-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Anyone else notice that the low profile safety lever and improved trigger bar are missing from Wilson Combats site? I was looking to get a parts order together, now I'm bummed. Those were two of my 3 favorite parts.

breakingtime91
06-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Anyone else notice that the low profile safety lever and improved trigger bar are missing from Wilson Combats site? I was looking to get a parts order together, now I'm bummed. Those were two of my 3 favorite parts.

I'll look but it was there yesterday

Jared
06-22-2016, 09:17 AM
I'll look but it was there yesterday

Turns out, I'm something of an idiot. I found the safety lever. Still don't see the trigger bar though.

GardoneVT
06-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I kinda get it due to the military contract, etc... Fixed sight, less things to break, bump, get outta whack.

Do I like it? So-so... I carry a 92G or a 92G compact with fixed sights... I like that peace of mind.

I don't mind ether. It is easy to forget that the 92 was "new" back when S&W shipped three digit model semi autos.

Those had fixed sights too. You'd think someone would have blamed that for the 1986 fiasco instead of the ammo.;)

jeep45238
06-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Turns out, I'm something of an idiot. I found the safety lever. Still don't see the trigger bar though.

Look for the ultimate action/trigger, I don't think you can get th bar by itself.

texag
06-22-2016, 06:05 PM
While we're on the topic o Wilson parts, will the single sided levers work for a G model 92?

KG
06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
While we're on the topic o Wilson parts, will the single sided levers work for a G model 92?

I installed Part #637 on my 92G.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Standard-Single-Lever-De-Cocker-for-G-Conversion-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/637/

Works fine, stiffer than the factory lever but I hope it will get smoother as I use it more.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/Keith_Groen/Beretta/Wilson%20Safety%202.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/Keith_Groen/media/Beretta/Wilson%20Safety%202.jpg.html)

45dotACP
06-23-2016, 05:10 PM
They're not really that tough to shoot well...sure if you think you absolutely need tritium sights...I just paint it orange and drive on.

breakingtime91
06-23-2016, 05:21 PM
They're not really that tough to shoot well...sure if you think you absolutely need tritium sights...I just paint it orange and drive on.

are you doing the whole front sight or just the dot?

JTQ
06-24-2016, 07:07 AM

In Les Pepperoni's "Beretta Sight's" thread, the first picture with the Novak rear and factory front white dot, is a nice looking picture, to me at least.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21132-Beretta-Sights-Some-Combos-and-pictures

45dotACP
06-24-2016, 08:51 AM
I try to do just the dot personally...

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

VolGrad
06-24-2016, 10:40 AM
I saw the Wilson Compact version has been discontinued. My buddy with the unfired one that I passed on a few weeks ago sure is happy. His just increased in value. I'm sure he will make some cash when he sells it. :(

Suvorov
06-24-2016, 10:46 AM
WHERE HAVE ALL THE VERTECS GONE?

I finally got the $$$ to purchase a Vertec and I can't find them anywhere? My LGS says they are all sold out at the distributor level and even Gun Broker doesn't have any last time I checked. Does this have to do with Beretta moving production to Tennessee? Anyone got the S2/G2?

JSGlock34
06-24-2016, 04:42 PM
WHERE HAVE ALL THE VERTECS GONE?

I finally got the $$$ to purchase a Vertec and I can't find them anywhere? My LGS says they are all sold out at the distributor level and even Gun Broker doesn't have any last time I checked. Does this have to do with Beretta moving production to Tennessee? Anyone got the S2/G2?

No G2, but my guess is that between the Tennessee move and the demand for the M9A3, new Vertec production is probably taking a back burner to other projects. It also seems there are other M9A3 variants are in the works, like the black M9A3 displayed on Ernest Langdon's instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BDBlZSENvo-/?taken-by=ernest.langdon). Considering these all use Vertec frames, my assumption is that Vertec production is shifting to the M9A3 family. But again, no special insight.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12825879_582553808570047_33496201_n.jpg?ig_cache_k ey=MTIwNzQxMDY0MDIxNzg5NzUzNA%3D%3D.2%22%20style=% 22%22

Suvorov
06-24-2016, 05:58 PM
No G2, but my guess is that between the Tennessee move and the demand for the M9A3, new Vertec production is probably taking a back burner to other projects. It also seems there are other M9A3 variants are in the works, like the black M9A3 displayed on Ernest Langdon's instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BDBlZSENvo-/?taken-by=ernest.langdon). Considering these all use Vertec frames, my assumption is that Vertec production is shifting to the M9A3 family. But again, no special insight.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12825879_582553808570047_33496201_n.jpg?ig_cache_k ey=MTIwNzQxMDY0MDIxNzg5NzUzNA%3D%3D.2%22%20style=% 22%22

I'd say that is a pretty good guess. Sadly, as a Proletariat Third Class, I am only able to choose from the list of pistols the Commissar's have deemed acceptable and thanks to Comrade Schwarzenegger - that precludes anything that hit the market in the past few years, the Vertec is as close as I'm going to come to M9A3 goodness until I am either liberated or defect. A LGS has told me they are going to try to get one directly from Beretta for me. Hopefully they can before it either falls of the roster or my wife re-tasks the money I have set aside for it.....

texag
06-25-2016, 05:28 AM
I saw the Wilson Compact version has been discontinued. My buddy with the unfired one that I passed on a few weeks ago sure is happy. His just increased in value. I'm sure he will make some cash when he sells it. :(

Hmm. Makes sense I guess, the compacts don't seem to get much love. I'm very happy with mine, the grip on a fullsize 92 just wouldn't have worked well for me to carry. I like that my serial number is my area code too.

ralph
06-28-2016, 08:22 AM
For anyone interested, reading over at the Beretta forum, There's a thread about Beretta bringing out a non-railed compact, in the near future. Supposedly, a couple people over there who are FFL's and carry Beretta's have already gotten pricing/ordering info from Beretta...From what I've read these are already showing up, as a couple people mentioned seeing them at their LGS..

Jared
06-28-2016, 05:06 PM
For anyone interested, reading over at the Beretta forum, There's a thread about Beretta bringing out a non-railed compact, in the near future. Supposedly, a couple people over there who are FFL's and carry Beretta's have already gotten pricing/ordering info from Beretta...From what I've read these are already showing up, as a couple people mentioned seeing them at their LGS..

I just had the local fun shop order me one. I should get to meet it this weekend.

HCM
07-06-2016, 06:44 PM
M9A3 Safety / De-cocker question:

My LGS just got a 92A3 in. It appears to be an F configuration.

I recall discussion about the M9A3 being user change-able between F and G configuration.

Are the current M9A3's user swap-able from F to G or is this something which will be coming on future models?

farscott
07-06-2016, 07:34 PM
M9A3 Safety / De-cocker question:

My LGS just got a 92A3 in. It appears to be an F configuration.

I recall discussion about the M9A3 being user change-able between F and G configuration.

Are the current M9A3's user swap-able from F to G or is this something which will be coming on future models?

My understanding is that any of the 92-series F models can be converted to G models by an end user with the new conversion kit, but the conversion kit itself is still not available.

pastaslinger
07-06-2016, 08:33 PM
I wish I was in charge of Beretta's pistol lineup... I would instantly drop all non dovetailed front sight models. I would make all guns decocker only or frame safety SAO. Wouldn't bring back the elites or 92g-sd's... we would have new ones. Elite III basically a steel framed version of Ernest Langdon's black 92a3. Sights would be Dawson front and I would cajole them to make a rear. Grips would be vz's in some cool color. Gun would be stainless. Elite IIIa would be the SAO version.

The compacts need a serious revamp as well. There is no reason a 92 compact can't have 15 rounds mecgar just needs to make them. There is also no reason why it needs to be so big... I'd take the barrel down to 3.5", give it a slim decocker and slide stop, front and rear serrations, and obviously a dovetailed front sight.

Hot Sauce
07-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I wish I was in charge of Beretta's pistol lineup... I would instantly drop all non dovetailed front sight models. I would make all guns decocker only or frame safety SAO. Wouldn't bring back the elites or 92g-sd's... we would have new ones. Elite III basically a steel framed version of Ernest Langdon's black 92a3. Sights would be Dawson front and I would cajole them to make a rear. Grips would be vz's in some cool color. Gun would be stainless. Elite IIIa would be the SAO version.

The compacts need a serious revamp as well. There is no reason a 92 compact can't have 15 rounds mecgar just needs to make them. There is also no reason why it needs to be so big... I'd take the barrel down to 3.5", give it a slim decocker and slide stop, front and rear serrations, and obviously a dovetailed front sight.

Great ideas, and I certainly hope (but don't expect) Beretta to be reading/absorbing these thoughts. I would say, the thing that makes the compact not so compact is not necessarily barrel length as much as the chunkyness and heft. Cutting the barrel length would help with that, but ultimately it is still a tough pistol to carry. I know some of you guys on here do so, or even carry the full size. But I have a feeling it is not because it is such a concealable firearm as much as it's because you like the good ol' 92 and this just happens to be the most carry friendly version available.

ReverendMeat
07-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Great ideas, and I certainly hope (but don't expect) Beretta to be reading/absorbing these thoughts. I would say, the thing that makes the compact not so compact is not necessarily barrel length as much as the chunkyness and heft. Cutting the barrel length would help with that, but ultimately it is still a tough pistol to carry. I know some of you guys on here do so, or even carry the full size. But I have a feeling it is not because it is such a concealable firearm as much as it's because you like the good ol' 92 and this just happens to be the most carry friendly version available.

Getting rid of the rail and adding low-profile decocking levers and thinner grips would go a long way toward improving the compact, IMO.

GardoneVT
07-06-2016, 10:15 PM
The trouble with the compact 92 is that it's basically a chunky, fatter Sig P228 with an external safety and fewer BBs in the mag.

JSGlock34
07-06-2016, 10:21 PM

(Consults Beretta catalog...)

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/84478.JPG

Hot Sauce
07-06-2016, 11:59 PM
The trouble with the compact 92 is that it's basically a chunky, fatter Sig P228 with an external safety and fewer BBs in the mag.

I wish this were not true, but alas.

pastaslinger
07-07-2016, 05:28 AM

Chopping the barrel could reduce weight a bit and making it 3.5" w would happen to put it in BUG for idpa if widths are taken care of.

Ideally the grip would be shortened to about Sig 320 subcompact size and hold 12 rounds but that would require a new magazine to be made. On the other hand a change is necessary anyways because the current mags are 13 rounds which is not just uncompetitive but also disappointing since you can have 18 by going to a slightly longer 92 mecgar mag.

texag
07-07-2016, 06:21 AM
I've found the 92 compact a joy to carry, but then again the smallest pistol I've carried regularly in the past 4 years was a p30. Slim grips, no lanyard loop, and a single sided decocker lever would help, as would having magazines with floorplates that don't make it larger. I'd be stoked if mecgar made 15 rd mags for the compact, that's probably my biggest gripe with it.

JTQ
07-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Remember this comment from GJM in this thread back in February.

Wilson Combat, Beretta Project #3 will be hit it out of the park good, and nicely complement the Brig Tac and 92G Compact. Bill shoots too accurately for me to say more. I do know that Bill doesn't shoot Vertec frames, and most of his projects are runs of pistols Bill likes.

It could be what you're looking for.

alohadoug
07-07-2016, 07:13 AM
(Consults Beretta catalog...)

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/84478.JPG

I so wish I could find one around here, just to handle to see if it's worth pursing.... :confused:

Hell, it doesn't have to be one of EL's specials. I'd start with a standard Compact.

Stupid Mass Compliance Laws...

Aloha

Joe in PNG
07-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Saw an offer I just couldn't refuse- swapped my old used S&W 5946 for a fairly nice Beretta 92 FS.
Photos for the photo thread in a bit.

pastaslinger
07-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Remember this comment from GJM in this thread back in February.

It could be what you're looking for.

I thought this was rumored to be the Wilson 92G centurion? Kind of big still

And I'd love to compare the EL px4 compact carry to a grand power p1 ultra, I feel I would like the grand power more but like both in general

Welder
07-07-2016, 04:53 PM
... we would have new ones. Elite III .... Elite IIIa ....

Failed marketing ploy notwithstanding, there has already been an Elite III. Only a handful were produced for photo ops and it was such a letdown that even Beretta knew better than to put it into mass production. One of the guys on BF has one. Don't remember the specifics, but "Elite III" is clearly marked on the slide.

pastaslinger
07-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Failed marketing ploy notwithstanding, there has already been an Elite III. Only a handful were produced for photo ops and it was such a letdown that even Beretta knew better than to put it into mass production. One of the guys on BF has one. Don't remember the specifics, but "Elite III" is clearly marked on the slide.

Looks like it was just an elite ii slide on a m9a1 frame

They could call it elite iii, elite IV, elite zero, doesn't matter as long as it has the name elite in it

There would be a market for it. Aside from people that are very into firearms and care about the differences between a 92fs and an elite, counterstrike global offensive has it in game (granted they are dual elite II's) and so there are bound to be people that play that game that would be interested in buying one- the game is hugely popular. There is a very real group of people that have gotten interested in firearms as a result of video games.

GardoneVT
07-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Looks like it was just an elite ii slide on a m9a1 frame

They could call it elite iii, elite IV, elite zero, doesn't matter as long as it has the name elite in it

There would be a market for it. Aside from people that are very into firearms and care about the differences between a 92fs and an elite, counterstrike global offensive has it in game (granted they are dual elite II's) and so there are bound to be people that play that game that would be interested in buying one- the game is hugely popular. There is a very real group of people that have gotten interested in firearms as a result of video games.

Except Wilson Combat already makes an "Elite 3".

Names a lot better on it too.

pastaslinger
07-08-2016, 06:34 AM
Except Wilson Combat already makes an "Elite 3".

Names a lot better on it too.

The EL model will be closer to an elite iii than the Wilson

Wilson lacks the front slide serrations which is annoying and has a lanyard loop which I don't care for but that's an easy fix

DGI
07-08-2016, 01:22 PM

I just saw this as well and found a NIB Compact Carry on GB for original list price. Snatched it up. I didnt care much for my old Type M. Maybe this one will be a keeper. If not, im sure i could make some $$$

MSparks909
07-12-2016, 11:13 AM
I just saw this as well and found a NIB Compact Carry on GB for original list price. Snatched it up. I didnt care much for my old Type M. Maybe this one will be a keeper. If not, im sure i could make some $$$

Ugh. This thread cost me more money! I somehow missed that the Compact Carry was discontinued until I clicked on this thread today...I had been saving up for a P229 Legion and a P320 Compact (been on the Sig train as of late) but I did not want to miss out on getting a Compact Carry. Found one on GB with the Action Tune and scooped it up. Plan to add a M9A3, the Langdon Beretta and the other WC Beretta to the lineup.

Handy
07-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Weww - just finished reading the whole thread.

Is there a consensus on what slide "runs" the best? I know the Elites used Brig slides, but that was partially because of the removable sight issue. Since then we've have the Vertec and 92A1.

So which slide is fastest back on target/tracking/etc: standard weight (FS, Vertec), short standard (Centurion, Compact), Brig/Elite or buffered 92A1? (I realize they aren't cross platform compatible, just phrasing the question that way to not make the discussion about magwells or rails.) Let's assume 92D springs in all.

As an aside, what effect does an aftermarket buffer have on shootability for the standard and Brig slided guns?

Thanks!

GardoneVT
07-14-2016, 12:44 PM

Is there a consensus on what slide "runs" the best? I know the Elites used Brig slides, but that was partially because of the removable sight issue. Since then we've have the Vertec and 92A1.

So which slide is fastest back on target/tracking/etc: standard weight (FS, Vertec), short standard (Centurion, Compact), Brig/Elite or buffered 92A1? (I realize they aren't cross platform compatible, just phrasing the question that way to not make the discussion about magwells or rails.) Let's assume 92D springs in all.

As an aside, what effect does an aftermarket buffer have on shootability for the standard and Brig slided guns?

Thanks!

Here my thoughts on the Brigadier.

In terms of objective shootability, I only have data based on my own performance. Read ahead with that disclaimer in mind.

Subjective performance of a Brigadier 9mm vs an M9 Commercial suggests the Brigadier has significantly reduced felt recoil. Another factor to consider is the Brigadiers use heavier frames then the M9s and legacy straight dustcover 92FS (either a rail or the slanted dustcover) , so both features make it the lightest recoiling stock production 9mm I've personally shot.

However, comma, the standard M9 is hardly a 40 caliber HK P30 in the recoil department. So those features are somewhat dubious in terms of a benefit.

Aftermarket buffers are a waste ,IMO. The M9 was designed and tested to handle NATO military ammo, and as stated above its hardly a recoil monster.

breakingtime91
07-14-2016, 12:52 PM
My 92A1 shoots insanely flat.. flattest 9mm I have ever shot.

Handy
07-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Here my thoughts on the Brigadier.

In terms of objective shootability, I only have data based on my own performance. Read ahead with that disclaimer in mind.

Subjective performance of a Brigadier 9mm vs an M9 Commercial suggests the Brigadier has significantly reduced felt recoil. Another factor to consider is the Brigadiers use heavier frames then the M9s and legacy straight dustcover 92FS (either a rail or the slanted dustcover) , so both features make it the lightest recoiling stock production 9mm I've personally shot.

However, comma, the standard M9 is hardly a 40 caliber HK P30 in the recoil department. So those features are somewhat dubious in terms of a benefit.

Aftermarket buffers are a waste ,IMO. The M9 was designed and tested to handle NATO military ammo, and as stated above its hardly a recoil monster.

Thank you for your comments.

My question was mainly about relative competition performance - similar to the comparisons of G17 vs. G34.

Does the heavier, recoil absorbing Brig slide have a downside, like pushing the muzzle down when it goes into battery, or is the only penalty the added size and weight in the holster? Across town, people are making their Glock and 1911 slides lighter for competition, so you'll understand why I ask about adding mass.

And does the 92A1 buffer do anything for shooting, or it is purely about adding durability, and those guns shoot little different than an otherwise similar M9A1?

Jeep
07-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Any standard sized pistol in 9mm isn't going to be a recoil monster, and the M9 certainly isn't. However it has a relatively high bore axis, which increases muzzle flip a bit, and I find the heavy slide of the Brig Tac reduces that, which allows slightly faster reacquisition of a sight picture. So, if you don't mind the extra weight you should be able to shoot the Brigadier a bit faster, and that might be worth something depending on what you are doing.

My view is that it is a benefit, but a somewhat marginal one.

Sal Picante
07-14-2016, 01:30 PM

Thanks!

I dunno - I kinda don't "get" the brig slide. I like it, but it is pretty big. I don't have any issues pushing it around in competition, etc, tho.
The vertex slide might just be a better engineered slide? Maybe more cost effective? Again IDK.

Comparing the Brig slide to the stock slide? I don't notice a difference, IF they're both sprung "right".

It did take me a bit to get used to the the rail'd frame - the balance of the older Elite guns was actually like the littlest bear's porridge for me: "just right".

Sal Picante
07-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Does the heavier, recoil absorbing Brig slide have a downside, like pushing the muzzle down when it goes into battery, or is the only penalty the added size and weight in the holster? Across town, people are making their Glock and 1911 slides lighter for competition, so you'll understand why I ask about adding mass.

Nah - if you spring the gun right, you've got no issues. 9#, 10# or 11# and Minor loads.

Beats me why people are making glock slides lighter. (Unless you're shooting limited and are mating a heavy bull barrel to it?)

StraitR
07-14-2016, 03:29 PM
LONGa LIVa DA PIZZA GUNS!!

Had to get that off my chest. :p

Trooper224
07-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Beats me why people are making glock slides lighter. (Unless you're shooting limited and are mating a heavy bull barrel to it?)

To better show off the cool gold colored barrel silly.

Handy
07-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Interesting about actually using reduced recoil springs, Les. A 9mm Brig is kind of like a 9mm 1911 in a way.

Based on Jeep's and other posts, it sounds to me like the Brig slide and the 92A1 are probably more alike than different. Given that the 92A1 is 1.1 oz heavier than the M9A1, maybe that larger slide dust cover on the 92A1 may represent more mass as well as the gun having a buffer.

I just have an older 92 with a straight dust cover. I'm not at all worried about the longevity of the gun, but I may try an inexpensive Shok Buff just to see if it has any noticeable effect on muzzle control. Either way, all the Berettas have some of the most heavy recoiling components of any 9mm pistols I've come across. The barrel and locking block add a lot of mass AND they travel twice as far as most other recoil guns before unlocking. They should be soft shooting.

Thanks for everyone's input.

GJM
07-14-2016, 10:35 PM
A few years ago, I was intently comparing an Elite to a Centurion. For me, the shorter, lighter Centurion transitioned faster, and the heavier Elite slide split better and did better on low prob targets. Overall for me, in a mix of shooting, it was a wash. Had a si liar conversation with Bill-retta Wilson and Ernest.

Handy
07-14-2016, 11:53 PM
A few years ago, I was intently comparing an Elite to a Centurion. For me, the shorter, lighter Centurion transitioned faster, and the heavier Elite slide split better and did better on low prob targets. Overall for me, in a mix of shooting, it was a wash. Had a si liar conversation with Bill-retta Wilson and Ernest.

Noooooooooooo! There must be one right answer!

GJM
07-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Noooooooooooo! There must be one right answer!

There is -- buy multiples of every Wilson and Langdon special Beretta.

Jeep
07-15-2016, 01:00 PM

When you think about it, on average this should be the case. I am sure of one thing, though. Wilson's involvement with Berettas has been a very positive thing for the platform.

StraitR
07-15-2016, 01:29 PM
There is -- buy multiples of every Wilson and Langdon special Beretta.

G, do you know if Bill is still planning on doing a third Beretta colab? I see the Compact Carry is discontinued and Brig Tacs show backordered until September. I'm still really hoping there's a third, and specifically a G-Centurion.

Clobbersaurus
07-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Gents, I just received my .305 Novak rear sight. I'm wondering which side it goes in. The sight looks to be beveled towards going in left to right (looking down at the slide from the rear). Am I correct?

Clobbersaurus
07-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Alright, I was able to install my new rear. It goes in from L to R and removes R to L. All you need is a brass punch, masking tape, a triangle file, a regular bastard file and a small hammer (do not use a big hammer). Search YouTube for "Dawson rear sight installation" if you want to know how to do it properly, it's a good video and is a good guide for all sight brands. It took me about 15 minutes to do it properly. Accuracy testing tomorrow, then I'll Locktite the set screw.

http://i.imgur.com/ItHlCUG.jpg

For G models, the decocker will get in the way of removing and installing the sight. To hold the G Lever in the down position push the slide to the edge of your vice, pushing down the lever, then clamp it down. This will keep it out of the way for you.

http://i.imgur.com/NKB9uqc.jpg

Installed and ready to go.

http://i.imgur.com/QUH5djw.jpg

Also, just a quick update on the Burner Grips. They are awesome! They are very grippy without being abrasive like state tape. The white stuff on the grip is dead skin but it comes off with a light brush from a toothbrush.

http://i.imgur.com/NRJHL44.jpg

The grip texture is coming off the bottom of the left grip due to reloads. I've been hitting reloads really hard lately so the bottom of the gun is getting battered.

http://i.imgur.com/zvHAXEV.jpg

StraitR
07-16-2016, 08:48 PM
*Looks at Clobbers magwell pic. *Looks at bottom of his Brig Tac. *Looks back at Clobbers magwell pic.

Damn, I've been lazy. :(

Clobbersaurus
07-17-2016, 01:10 AM
*Looks at Clobbers magwell pic. *Looks at bottom of his Brig Tac. *Looks back at Clobbers magwell pic.

LOL, You should see Les Pepperoni's magwell. It make mine look like a new gun!

GJM
07-17-2016, 05:28 AM
To improve your reloads, you need someone of that Burner grip material on a practice magazine, so with enough effort you open that Beretta magwell into a CZ size opening. :)

Clobbersaurus
07-17-2016, 08:21 AM
^^ That actually not a bad idea!

Factory Beretta mags (WIDE) on non Elite frames (no bevel) make for some challenging reloads.

Serious question though, are CZ maxwells made of the same material as their slide stops? So pieces just crack off at random after a couple thousand reloads?;)

StraitR
07-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Showing some pizza love. Office carry.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8713/27749731893_1e9a89dcb2_c.jpg

Handy
07-17-2016, 02:20 PM

It appears that you have reached a point where hand-filing a magwell bevel is unlikely to make your gun less pretty.

Clobbersaurus
07-17-2016, 03:37 PM
It appears that you have reached a point where hand-filing a magwell bevel is unlikely to make your gun less pretty.

Unfortunately, I can't alter the frame in Production division in IPSC. Once I get more mileage through my 92D, I may bevel the magwell. I'm a bit of a ninja with a Dremel tool....

Clobbersaurus
07-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Did 70 rounds on B8's at 25 yards. My GoPro decided it didn't want to take photos today so no pics. First benched group was all in the black but a lower right cluster in the 9 ring. Group was great but it is still shooting low. Standing B8's were ok, I had to hold a little higher than normal. Scores were: 92, 89, 92, 92, 94, 94. So I'm not totally happy with that, but I really don't want to mess with it further. Accuracy is more than good for A zone hits at 25 yards.

GJM
07-17-2016, 04:22 PM
^^ That actually not a bad idea!

Factory Beretta mags (WIDE) on non Elite frames (no bevel) make for some challenging reloads.

Serious question though, are CZ maxwells made of the same material as their slide stops? So pieces just crack off at random after a couple thousand reloads?;)

Nope, the CZ magwell is so flared that you hardly touch metal on the way in.

A dremel may be a no go, but honest practice that opens it slightly ought to be legal?

I have heard of shooters modifying the lips of MecGar 92 mags to make them more tapered and load easier.

lml_hotshot
07-17-2016, 04:26 PM
Has anyone tried the 90-Two G lever conversion on a 92A1? Just curious as the 90-Two G conversion parts (L/R levers & spring) are sold on Brownells. Are the slide internals for the levers in the 92A1 the same as the 90-Two?

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=999015&postcount=25

JSGlock34
07-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Has anyone tried the 90-Two G lever conversion on a 92A1? Just curious as the 90-Two G conversion parts (L/R levers & spring) are sold on Brownells. Are the slide internals for the levers in the 92A1 the same as the 90-Two?

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=999015&postcount=25

My understanding is 'no' per below thread. The upcoming universal 'G' lever may be an option when it comes out. Wilson or MGW are other alternatives.

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=100104&highlight=90-TWO+conversion

Clobbersaurus
07-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Nope, the CZ magwell is so flared that you hardly touch metal on the way in.

LOL - like a hotdog down a hallway? :D

That's an interesting note on the feed lips. Usually when I get a major hang-up on a reload it's with the feed lip catching the edge of the well or grip. It sucks worse than outright missing the well as you get stopped dead on the well and waste a lot of time trying the muscle it..... then finally figuring out it won't go.

GJM
07-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Dave Olhasso made me aware of this. He said if you compare a Mecgar 226 and 92 magazine, despite being almost identical in dimension, the 92 lips are longer. He said you can trim the lips down, making for a faster reload.

Clobbersaurus
07-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Dave Olhasso made me aware of this. He said if you compare a Mecgar 226 and 92 magazine, despite being almost identical in dimension, the 92 lips are longer. He said you can trim the lips down, making for a faster reload.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I have some 226 mags kicking around. I'll compare them.

Bummy425
07-17-2016, 05:58 PM

Ditto....

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

StraitR
07-18-2016, 05:51 PM

Well, yours makes mine look new. haha. You've inspired me to work on reloads though. *thumbsup

As it stands now...

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7461/28294521892_3433b3ae7f_c.jpg

Clobbersaurus
07-18-2016, 07:50 PM
^^ Consider it a blank canvas. It's time to make your mark on it!

jeep45238
07-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Any pictures of this?

Handy
07-18-2016, 09:35 PM

I'm trying to picture this: The lips are longer in front, running closer to the bullet end of the cartridge. Even when they are longer, they still end close to the top center of the magazine. What's getting hung up in the top middle when the mag is loaded?