Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: IDPA Scenario Threads...

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    what are all of your opinions on stages w/ pickup guns?

I don't like them. Shooters may be forced to shoot something completely foreign to them, and IDPA is a game. Let people play to win with their own gear.

Jerry Miculek never seems to have a problem with pick-up guns.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I don't like them. Shooters may be forced to shoot something completely foreign to them, and IDPA is a game. Let people play to win with their own gear.
    That's kind of the point. The trick is to find something so rare/odd that nobody has an unfair advantage with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Another thing that helps is putting a t-shirt on the target so the muzzle blast is less likely to blow off pasters.
    Hate this idea, I don't train IDPA style retention shooting, thus I have to see my hits to adjust as necessary. No you may ask why not? IDPA is a fun match for me, thus their style of retention shooting has no bearing on my "tactical" shooting, nor since it isn't my primary competitions it doesn't effect my "practical" shooting.

Now one way to prevent the target from getting blown to hell is to cut out the lower 0 zone. Anything outside the 0 zone is scored and taped, otherwise if the target is clear it's 0 down. Now granted your score person/SO needs to watch for someone just tossing the shots, and they have to watch for make up shots. But for the most part it works for honest shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    what are all of your opinions on stages w/ pickup guns?
    I think it's a bad idea. It's always unfair to somebody. Do you think it was fair to everybody else the time I went to a State match and the pick up gun was a Smith & Wesson Model 15 revolver exactly like the one I've been shooting for 30 years?

A lot of shooters aren't familiar with a wide variety of firearms, but there's always somebody that has shot everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Hate this idea, I don't train IDPA style retention shooting,...
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no retention method stipulated by IDPA as discussed previously in this thread.

The way I was taught to shoot targets with shirts is you call your shots as you normally would using your sights but use the head and shoulder cuts to judge the COM scoring zone, i.e. the top of the down zero circle is in line with the lower shoulder cut and centered on the head. It's the same as when you are shooting a target that you cannot see the scoring cuts either due to the distance or poor lighting conditions. From retention, you can see where the bullet strikes as it passes through the material.

Out of idle curiosity, is there a target which is reactive that is also reliable, quick to reset, and safe to shoot from retention ranges? We have tried the porous rubber type targets for ranges where steel is not safe and they get as many complaints as the Reed Reactors.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 06-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Shooting thru shirts is cool with me. I've shot stages in production that had partial softcover over some targets. Its just one more thing to be competitive at.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no retention method stipulated by IDPA as discussed previously in this thread.
    Maybe not IDPA rule book stipulated but I've been told how to shoot the retention stages at IDPA matches (basically speed rock).

I guarantee you if I used a ECQC style retention shooting I would be given a DQ because it didn't impact more then 3 feet in front from my feet. Add in the fact that the position for retention stages is too far for this type of retention shooting (you basically have to be practically touching the target). Finally with ECQC style retention shooting it likely would only strike the target on the very bottom on the -3 zone.

Anyways it's another one of those safety oriented game rules, vs how I would do it in real life. Same with the t-shirt hits, in real life my hit zone would be the upper chest, not the middle of the chest like the 0 zone.

I think the retention thing has been completely trampled into bits. Can we sweep up the pieces and move back to good stage ideas?

Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    I think the retention thing has been completely trampled into bits. Can we sweep up the pieces and move back to good stage ideas?
    If you have not already done so, there are a couple boards on the IDPAforum with CoF suggestions and libraries that you might want to look at.

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/forums/11/...rary-and-Links
    http://idpaforum.yuku.com/forums/13/...s#.T8q_D_WrFc4

User Tag List