Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA Scenario Threads...

Tuesday shoots start at 1800, probably a little too early if you're coming from the 'loo.

I've been thinking about scenario's that interest me since you started this thread.

I like the idea of a bump in the night, starting either in a recliner tv watching mode, or sleeping in bed mode.
    The car trouble suggestion was excellent!
    XXXXXL sweatpants on the throne would be fun to see and shoot.
    A walk the dog scenario, encouraging who/sho shooting.
    Gasing up the car would be good.

Basically any every day activity built into a scenario would be good I think.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    But I do agree that it needs to be done right at targets inside of 5 yards etc, the reason it's done at distances greater is to keep the targets from getting blown to hell, but what I've seen done for close range targets is the removal of the down zero zone to prevent if from getting blown out.
    Another thing that helps is putting a t-shirt on the target so the muzzle blast is less likely to blow off pasters. I think it makes sense to require only one or two shots from retention and make the shooter retreat away from the target. Another thing that was liked was when we put targets on a "wagon" that had an attached rope which went between the shooters legs and was held by the weak hand so as the shooter engages while retreating, the threats follow him.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post
    Tuesday shoots start at 1800, probably a little too early if you're coming from the 'loo.

I've been thinking about scenario's that interest me since you started this thread.

I like the idea of a bump in the night, starting either in a recliner tv watching mode, or sleeping in bed mode.
    The car trouble suggestion was excellent!
    XXXXXL sweatpants on the throne would be fun to see and shoot.
    A walk the dog scenario, encouraging who/sho shooting.
    Gasing up the car would be good.

Basically any every day activity built into a scenario would be good I think.
    Work is in Marshalltown, just up 330/65, just about an hour...if I hustle I can make it. What's the typical match?

Yeah, it's a game, but it's still a game that is supposed to mimic Defensive pistol use and shooting from retention is a viable defensive skill, regardless if it's in the rule book or not.
    Yep. It's exactly what you make of it. Some guys just really look at it as a game. And that's cool by me. It adds pressure, and practice under pressure is good for everyone. It teaches presence of mind with adrenaline flowing.

Reloading in front of 30 people while the clock is running is different than in your living room for practice.

BTW - our "charging dog" was charging at 4 ft off the ground for backstop purposes.

We are diminished
    Yeah, it's a game, but it's still a game that is supposed to mimic Defensive pistol use and shooting from retention is a viable defensive skill, regardless if it's in the rule book or not.
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. There are countless things that one person or another might call "a viable defensive skill." That doesn't mean they belong in an IDPA match. Shooting from retention has huge issues related to scoring because some people are simply going to be at a height or have a method that puts the gun level with the -0 zone, and some won't. Most modern thinking on shooting from retention doesn't involve aiming for the upper thoracic to begin with. Finally, some retention position methods are inherently less safe than normal shooting.

As another poster pointed out, dictating a particular "retention position" is no more legitimate than dictating a particular grip. If I showed up and there was a stage that required me to shoot cup 'n saucer, I'd likely take my DNF. I don't go to a match to see what kind of goofy crap the MD can force on me.

Think about attending a match with a low light, and when you get the stage briefing you're told you absolutely must shoot using the Chapman flashlight technique. If your flashlight doesn't accommodate it, tough. If that's not the way you train, tough. If there are other people there who do train that way, and their gear does work well for it, and they get a huge advantage over you... tough. No thanks.

I'm not interested in the Match Director's five favorite skills nor do I care what he thinks is the "right" way to shoot from retention.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Another thing that helps is putting a t-shirt on the target so the muzzle blast is less likely to blow off pasters.
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Putting t-shirts on non-reactive targets makes it impossible to assess shot placement. It's the antithesis of realistic even though many people do it think it's "more real." Since the targets don't drop, the only way I can determine whether my hits were "effective" is to see where they landed relative to the scoring zones. Cover that up and I'm just going on blind faith whether I accomplished the task. This is especially true since so few game targets adequately represent appropriate hit zones relative to human anatomy.

At the 2010 Rangemaster Tactical Match they used fully clothed targets, but the targets were reactive steel. You had to aim at a real(-istic) person and hit real(-istic) zones to knock him down. You shot until he dropped. That's an outstanding way to use t-shirts over targets.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. There are countless things that one person or another might call "a viable defensive skill." That doesn't mean they belong in an IDPA match. Shooting from retention has huge issues related to scoring because some people are simply going to be at a height or have a method that puts the gun level with the -0 zone, and some won't. Most modern thinking on shooting from retention doesn't involve aiming for the upper thoracic to begin with. Finally, some retention position methods are inherently less safe than normal shooting.

As another poster pointed out, dictating a particular "retention position" is no more legitimate than dictating a particular grip. If I showed up and there was a stage that required me to shoot cup 'n saucer, I'd likely take my DNF. I don't go to a match to see what kind of goofy crap the MD can force on me.

Think about attending a match with a low light, and when you get the stage briefing you're told you absolutely must shoot using the Chapman flashlight technique. If your flashlight doesn't accommodate it, tough. If that's not the way you train, tough. If there are other people there who do train that way, and their gear does work well for it, and they get a huge advantage over you... tough. No thanks.

I'm not interested in the Match Director's five favorite skills nor do I care what he thinks is the "right" way to shoot from retention.
    Oh my, I share the same ideology and I AM THE MATCH DIRECTOR. I'm growing so sick of IDPA that I can't even begin to plan for the next Match. Don't even get me started on those Tiger Teams (the 'in' crowd of IDPA).

As for the scenarios for stages, I don't write them nor do I expect my SO's to read them. They are retarded. Read the course description and go hot.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Shimizu ran that match in AZ once, back when they still had the Sundog Shooters up in Prescott. He even called it "Maryland Carry". If memory serves, the first stage of the match was simply showing up in the parking lot with a loaded firearm on your person. If you didn't have a loaded gun on you when you arrived at the range, you got a DNF for the first stage.
    Sundog Shooters ran some of the best matches back in the day.
    I remember that match above, it was the last match of the season as I recall.

My point is that this line of reasoning can be used to require using the CAR system, taking corners from a bladed dueling stance, or not using a slide release.
    IDPA is all ready too tightly scripted enough without trying to add "what is retention" into the mix. Is retention from the hip? From the 2 count of the draw stroke? High compressed ready????? I'd rather not see it added to the rule book.
    If you don't define it, I'm going to tell you that my preferred school shoots 'retention' from a position I like to call "high-extended-ready". I'm looking to play the game, not learn a particular school's thought on how to manage fights at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm always surprised more classes aren't taught like an IPSC/IDPA match, but with a syllabus and a good instructor.

Downside - round count would drop.

Upside - individual student attention would go up. Throw in an "apprentice" instructor that could run drills in the next bay while the instructor goes through the syllabus.

Of course, that might be much easier said than done with a class...

User Tag List