Page 15 of 346 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Can you compare how it feels to the Gen4? Are you saying that you don't feel the point where the trigger bar makes contact with the connector?
    For the non technical explanation IMO- the Gen 4 had a crunchy trigger. The words I used are crunchy and sponge like. Just during the trigger pull it didn't feel "good.
    However- the Gen 5 is a completely smooth pull. One good motion with no issues. It's like a sturdy VP9- not as light, but very smooth.
    Best comparison I can think of is my running shoes. The VP9 are lightweight running shoes that people like. However- I like a sturdier and heavier Asics running shoe bc I feel like it gives me better support. Hope that helps as I am sure there are people who can give plenty of detailed technical explanations.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    For the non technical explanation IMO- the Gen 4 had a crunchy trigger. The words I used are crunchy and sponge like. Just during the trigger pull it didn't feel "good.
    However- the Gen 5 is a completely smooth pull. One good motion with no issues. It's like a sturdy VP9- not as light, but very smooth.
    Best comparison I can think of is my running shoes. The VP9 are lightweight running shoes that people like. However- I like a sturdier and heavier Asics running shoe bc I feel like it gives me better support. Hope that helps as I am sure there are people who can give plenty of detailed technical explanations.
    To put a finer point on this, I think you mean your Gen 4 and your Gen 5, given there is so much variation in individual Glock triggers that generalizing your trigger to all of a Gen doesn't always work.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To put a finer point on this, I think you mean your Gen 4 and your Gen 5, given there is so much variation in individual Glock triggers that generalizing your trigger to all of a Gen doesn't always work.
    Two of the "best" stock Glock triggers I own are a Gen 4 26 and Gen 4 19. These are factory "-" and stock springs, like all of my carry Glocks.
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-28-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Really excited about the no-finger-grooves G19, and good Ameriglos out of the box... That said, I was an early adopter with the Gen4's and got burned, and while most say they're reliable now, I've never encountered a Gen4 9mm gun throw brass or run as reliably as my 2007ish Gen3's and the videos I've seen thus far of the Gen5's are still making me weary (seen some running fine, but a bunch of BTF and brass dribbling out... which never happens with my older guns).... Hope the reports check out that the Gen5's are GTG...
    Last edited by CK1; 08-28-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    The VP9 has pre-travel that measure at about 1.5 pounds, then a short wall at 4.5 or so making it feel like a short light trigger. The Gen5 Glock starts at about 3 pounds and increases as the trigger moves rearward. It's a much different, and longer, feeling trigger pull compared to the VP9.
    Kinda sorta like an "STRIKER-FIRED LEM"?

My P10C is SORTA like that. There is a slight wall - noticeable but not pronounced - then it "ROLLS" (increase pressure and the trigger moves, then releases the firing pin).

Sounds like a proper "Threat Management" Trigger; kinda like a heavier NY1 with "-" connector???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Kinda sorta like an "STRIKER-FIRED LEM"?
    It's funny, but Dry practicing my VP9 and my P30SK LEM, back to back the other day, it was weird how similar they felt (if you allow for the fact the VP9 travel is 0.24" and the LEM is about 1".)

But back to the Gen 5 Glock reviews. Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    The extractor is redesigned and looks closer to the Apex FRE extractor from what I've seen online so far.
    Could be. I'm no gunsmith, I was only trying to understand whether the basic geometry of the Glock G5 extractor design was the same as the G4 (as in, an extractor held in place by a fore and aft spring along the RSA axis), and apparently it is.

It would be interesting to have someone compare / contrast the two designs, given the history of BTF and weak ejections reported by some Glock owners.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar

*THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    There appears to only be very minimal changes in the Gen5 extractor compared to a fairly recent (within the last year) extractor from a Gen4 19 MOS (which is what I have handy at my desk). It looks to me like those very minimal changes have do do with the new firing pin block geometry. Having said that. I've never seen an Apex FRE extractor and maybe it only has very minimal appearing, but operationally significant, differences.

This maybe true, I was only going off the video where it has similarity in he way it's shaped from under the slide. I can't find a pic of the Apex extractor at that same angle and I need to take the pic myself to compare, this weekend was way too busy for me to do so
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

This thread had grown 18 pages since I last looked, but a few observations to add having a decent amount of time on a 19M now:

1. The scallop cutout on the front strap annoys me more when I'm drawing the gun, but really doesn't bother me shooting. I tend to have a higher/forward/more aggressive grip than most though and torque my elbows outward which puts pressure into the gun higher up on the grip. My pinky doesn't really bite down into the scallop as a result.

2. If I run the extended slide release levers, I will lock the slide open mid-magazine. Using the standard slide release, even though it's thicker than the gen4, made these issues go away. If you have a problem with this, you can also try different backstrap sizes which will position your hand differently on the gun.

3. The ameriglo sights come in both a .140 and a .125 front sight width and a .159 rear notch width.

I predict a great deal of aftermarket GEN5 slide release levers in an assortment of lengths and combinations (and MHS safety levers when that hits the market). I'm sure TangoDown is already at work on a Vickers branded one...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List