Page 14 of 346 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I had a quick range trip this morning and shot the Gen5 G19 side-by-side with a CZ P10 C and SD9 (and a S&W 43c). No issues to report. Strong ejection, no BTF. The lack of finger grooves was more of a boon than expected (since they never bothered me on a Gen4) -- my grip just seemed stronger and more secure without them. I noticed this during dry-fire over the past couple of days and as expected it carried over to live fire. I didn't notice the cutout on the front of the grip at all, but I wear a size 8 glove and didn't expect it to be an issue.

Trigger, in my opinion, is fantastic. Clean rolling break with no discernible wall. It was easier to shoot than the P10C (which was also nice, but has a more typical Glock trigger feel) or SD9 (duh). I'm impressed. I look forward to the rest of the Glock line going Gen5 -- especially MOS models.
    Funny on the finger grooves comment. I never knew how much I disliked them until the Gen 5
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Trigger, in my opinion, is fantastic. Clean rolling break with no discernible wall.
    Can you compare how it feels to the Gen4? Are you saying that you don't feel the point where the trigger bar makes contact with the connector?

Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    Is the Vickers floor plate compatible with the Gen5?
    Yes, the Vickers floor plate works. At least on the 17 Gen5, I did not try on the 19 Gen5 yet but I don't see why not. The floor plates sit below the bottom edge of the magwell/base of pistol grip.
    Last edited by dcf1981; 08-28-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Funny on the finger grooves comment. I never knew how much I disliked them until the Gen 5
    Funnier still! Two Gen 2 19s were my first 9mm Glocks. Shot them for a few years. Moved into Gen 3's, then added Gen 4's. Was never conscious of the grooves in shooting. Never perceive them during the grip. Gripping the Gen 5, it just felt like any G19 to me. I didn't really perceive the lack of the grooves. Probably might be related to rather thin long fingers maybe.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Funnier still! Two Gen 2 19s were my first 9mm Glocks. Shot them for a few years. Moved into Gen 3's, then added Gen 4's. Was never conscious of the grooves in shooting. Never perceive them during the grip. Gripping the Gen 5, it just felt like any G19 to me. I didn't really perceive the lack of the grooves. Probably might be related to rather thin long fingers maybe.
    Oddly enough, having come from the Gen 2 G19 myself, I actually was shocked to find that I liked (and shot better with) the Gen 3 frame when mine was replaced under warranty recently. Live and learn.

At the rate my Blue Label dealer is moving, when I finally get my hands on the new Gen 4 G26 I asked him to pick up for me...the Gen 5's will probably be out.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I picked up a Gen 5 19 and 17 from my LGS. Price was $560+ tax. I just finished a quick range session of 50 rounds of 124 grain AE through each. The range of was closing in 10 min so that's all the time I had.

Bottom line:
    1) Accuracy on par with my other glocks; maybe a hair better.
    2) No BTF with the G17 but one round rolled off the slide onto my forearm.
    3) At least 1 BTF (actually top of my forehead) per mag with the G19.
    4) The grip cut out on the G19 was a real distraction. By the end of each mag it was cutting into my 5th finger.

Overall, I like the G17; will dump the 19.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-28-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I tried a Gen 2 long ago... don't even remember what it felt like.
    I like the Gen 3 G17/19 , and also the Gen 4. Never had a problem with them, the reliability, acuracy, trigger, the grip texture or the finger grooves (I have relatively long thin fingers). The G19 grip is a bit short for me. Actually I kinda like the minor simplicity edge of the Gen 3 over the 4.

Do you feel there is something worth the change in this new Gen 5?

On second thought, I might try sanding the grip cutout on the G19 and giving it another 50 rounds. I think that it's the sharp edge causing the problem.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-28-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I like the Gen 3 G17/19 , and also the Gen 4. Never had a problem with them, the reliability, acuracy, trigger, the grip texture or the finger grooves (I have relatively long thin fingers). The G19 grip is a bit short for me. Actually I kinda like the minor simplicity edge of the Gen 3 over the 4.

Well I've only handled two 19s for a few minutes. But with 7 of my own Gen 3 and 4 guns that share most parts and 7 more amongst the grown family, I don't at this time.

Edit: And it's not because there is much swapping parts. But there is a tackle box full of springs, connectors, spare extractors etc etc. KKM barrels in a few. That sort of thing.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-28-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

If you are set with past Gen's probably not. I was not though so the Gen 5 was perfect for me.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

User Tag List