Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend some money on suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought I was just supposed to call them and mention your name?
    LL is getting a commission from suppressor sales in the vain of two white Russians with premium French Vodka and skim milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I don't mean to beat this to death, but how about utility for a home defense weapon? Big negatives other than handling characteristics and a possible grab by an intruder?
    At least at one time Chris Costa was a fan of the suppressed pistol for a home defense weapon. This interview is four years old now, so no idea if this reflects his current thinking.

Costa Interview

Chris Costa: Well, here is where it can get a little controversial and complicated.

My home defense gun is a handgun. It’s got an X300 Surefire on it and is equipped with a DG Grip switch, which allows me to light and shoot with one hand. I also run a suppressor on it.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and trying to clear your house with an 18” barrel gun – that’s what a shotgun is! You also need to be able to work a light on it while being stealthy and efficient.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, half naked, needing to defend my family and my home, I can shoot and employ my handgun one-handed while I grab my children and maneuver around my house extremely quickly, all the while knowing that I have 17 rounds at my disposal. If you have to grab one of your kids because they’ve popped out in between you and a threat, then you’re stuck trying to fire a 12 gauge one-handed; it can be done (I do it all the time in my demonstrations), but not without a lot of practice, and it’s certainly not ideal.

I also believe that trying to deal with a threat that you can’t see is a much greater concern than one you can see. If there’s an intruder in my house that is visible, then I am actually in the process of solving that particular problem. If there’s someone in my house that I can’t see, that scares me much more. So imagine that you have someone in your house that you can’t see, you don’t have ear protection, and you don’t have a suppressor and are not using a handgun (handguns naturally being quieter than a shotgun) – if you fire that shotgun it’s going to be extremely loud, and you will probably lose your hearing for a few minutes. Those few minutes can be vital, because the intruder now knows where you are and you’re unable to be as alert as you normally would. Having that suppressor addition is very important to me; using a handgun with a suppressor means if it fires a foot and a half from my ears, my hearing is still protected.

So to sum it up, if I clear my house during the night with a handgun, I can shoot suppressed, I can white light, I can work one-handed if I need to grab one of my kids, and if push came to shove I could pistol-punch an intruder with the muzzle of my gun. I can’t do any of that with a shotgun.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought I was just supposed to call them and mention your name?
    Prolly should have done this a week ago when folks accused me of panicking Waiting 24 hours at this point is not a good idea. I told Hansohn Bros to call you today. Ask him about nationwide inventories on suppressors.
    #RESIST

I do wish I could afford a second can right now, but the holidays were expensive enough already.

I am just trying to figure out if I want that SICO Hybrid. On a Glock 22 that would be a very thick can at 1.56 ve a 1.375 for most other 45 cans. Granted I could see me using the Hybrid on my 9mm AR, Beretta CX4, and then turn around an put it on a 300WM (when I deem I need one) and then on the Rifles that have the ASR mount. It would make a good suppressor on the Trust for that reason but I have this want of running a Glock 22 and a 40SW PDW suppressed with 180 grain Pills.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I don't mean to beat this to death, but how about utility for a home defense weapon? Big negatives other than handling characteristics and a possible grab by an intruder?
    I have a pistol for HD because I have kids and locking up a long arm in my bedroom yet making it readily accessible to me is not very easy.

I think adding a suppressor would only take away from the utility of it.

I know that some like pistol cans and that's cool, I'm glad they can get them. I don't like them. Everyone starting out with cans should get a 7.62 can and a rimfire can. That will realistically cover most bases for you (hunting, carbine, plinking).

Rimfire cans are the most fun by far. Anyone with a family or a spouse that shoots should automatically buy or build two rimfire cans.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Most of this talk is theoretical for now. Some said I was dramatic with this thread but all of the suppressor dealers in the nation are running out of inventory.

Just spoke with my local dealer this morning. He says he's sold over $55K worth of silencers since Obama's proclamation earlier this week.

Nice, I talked to Hanshon for a new toy taking LL's advice about another .22 can especially one that can take 22mag since my warlock will only be used for .22.

Talked with Corporate Arms today about my AR9 and the Form 4 hopefully will be to me by May for a class. Rocking a 9mm at a training class will be the bomb. If not Just going to grab my little friend from PWS. Name:  MK107_Rifle.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  68.9 KB
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 01-09-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Prolly should have done this a week ago when folks accused me of panicking Waiting 24 hours at this point is not a good idea. I told Hansohn Bros to call you today. Ask him about nationwide inventories on suppressors.
    I dragged my feet for a few days trying to decide what to do.

Talked to Chris today and suffice it to say, I'm out of luck for a bit. Hopefully he can find the two cans I want within a few weeks or so.

Hopefully...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I talked with Chris and he changed my mind on what I wanted. Hopefully Shot Show will mean a new can and I have this credit card ready for action.

I was not going to buy a lot of things but the security and political climate is scary. I am even listening to more radio shows on NPR because my calm is not calm any more.

Glocks are back HKs in the Safe and LL is making me drink my 18 year since I am now too poor to buy more Scotch.

Name:  4036589705_d9565e3e64_z.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  29.1 KB

User Tag List