Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend some money on suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Despite a lot of love for this product from very well respected folks, I'm not impressed by what I've read about the Omega:
    http://www.silencershop.com/silencerco-omega-7-62.html
    SilencerCo was able to make the Omega so light by wrapping a paper-thin layer of titanium around a stainless steel baffle stack & a Stellite blast baffle. Because the outer titanium tube is too thin for welding, SilencerCo relied on gluing the core into the tube instead - and the result is one of the lightest consumer-oriented 7.62mm suppressors on the market.
    Once again, SilencerCo led the pack by keeping the Omega as light as possible for low-to-medium volume shooters - instead of focusing on a durable/easily warrantied outer tubes like other manufacturers had been focused on.

The 15 oz weight isn't that impressive in comparison to TBAC or other more durable cans, and the price isn't that different.
    It is certainly something to consider.

Though, so is Silencerco's warranty - "We stand behind our products with a lifetime warranty, no matter what – even if it’s not a product defect. We answer every question asked and go above and beyond to serve our customers. Our 48 hour repair turnaround even warranties stupid…once." - https://silencerco.com/about/

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Can you elaborate please? Are they not practical in application?
    I don't think they are but I'm not a fan of carrying around a pistol with a suppressor attached.
    #RESIST

Most of this talk is theoretical for now. Some said I was dramatic with this thread but all of the suppressor dealers in the nation are running out of inventory.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm assuming you're comparing to this?
    https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7

I have two questions...

1) How does one measure "durability" of a can?
    2) Where does said "durability" fit in the hierarchy of choosing a can?

I like the look of the Thunderbeast, but not knowing where they'll be as a company in five years, and being unsure if they make 5.56 and 7.62 brakes AND hider mounts that will all work with the 7.62 can has me more interested in the Omega.
    Yes, the TBAC Ultra 7 looks really nice. I have a 30P1, and it's been excellent. You raise good questions, and a valid point. I don't have the answers, but here are some of the things I consider.
    1) Noise reduction
    2) POI shift & repeatability
    3) Durability to firing
    4) External durability
    5) Functionality of mount
    6) Weight
    7) Length
    8) Multicaliber compatibility
    9) Reputation of manufacturer, warranty, and predicted longevity of their business
    10) Cost

Depending on application, I rank some aspects more highly. For example, external durability is important for me for 5.56 and precision rifle cans because those guns get bashed around.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Man, I am getting more confused by the page. Can we get a PF consensus by Monday so I can place an order?

Right now leaning towards two Omega cans, two .22 cans, and maybe one more that could do pistol to .45-70.

Darryl may be hooking me up,with some skookum can in exchange for giving him .45-70 lessons.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Man, I am getting more confused by the page. Can we get a PF consensus by Monday so I can place an order?

Right now leaning towards two Omega cans, two .22 cans, and maybe one more that could do pistol to .45-70.

Darryl may be hooking me up,with some skookum can in exchange for giving him .45-70 lessons.
    What have you found that is in stock?
    #RESIST

Well we know the Silenco Hybrid can do what you want to do with the 45-70.

I am looking at the Hybrid because of the .223 and 9mm/45 route but the Dead Air Ghost is calling to me.....I wish there was a can that can do .22/9mm/5.56 and at 7 inches that can take ASR mounts....or Dead Air Mounts but I am wishing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What have you found that is in stock?
    I thought I was just supposed to call them and mention your name?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have an Omega, AAC SR7, AAC M4-2000, 556-SD, AAC Ti-Rant 9, Gemtech Oasis II and AAC Element II.

Omega: I use this on hunting guns, and really heavy or long rifles. It is light and short and comfortable to carry. Rated up to 300 WM. Very versatile. I don't do sustained fire with this.
    SR7: I use this for my .30 autos (FAL, AR10s, etc). I rapid/continuous fire with this can.
    M4-2000 & 556-SD: Old design but it works. I use this for automatic fire with my full auto rifles. BTW, AAC parts and accessories are readily available at Midway and Brownells. This is why I kinda stick with this brand.
    Ti-Rant 9: because reasons....
    Oasis and Element: because fun....

Main reason I got the cans is because loud noises annoy me, especially at indoor ranges.
    Last edited by Paul D; 01-08-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't think they are but I'm not a fan of carrying around a pistol with a suppressor attached.
    I don't mean to beat this to death, but how about utility for a home defense weapon? Big negatives other than handling characteristics and a possible grab by an intruder?
    Last edited by Robinson; 01-08-2016 at 11:30 PM.

User Tag List