Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: AR for use with suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Depends… can get fancy with stocks and triggers, etc. It all depends on your use patterns.
    Yeah my lowers end up having around $750 poured into them... and that's not counting a tax stamp or engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m seriously thinking about trying this. I have an unfired PSA 10.5” I picked up from another member, I can tweak it to run always suppressed. But I would like to see if my other shorties can be made to run both ways.
    If you have a 10" barrel with a Crane spec .070" gas port (i.e. "mil-spec" Mk18), it'll suppress well and still shoot reliably with quality 223 and 5.56 ammo when unsuppressed. The PSA has a blow-hole sized gas port to cater to the typical Poverty State Armory customer (I have one as well) and you should definitely go for a BRT gas tube if suppressing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you have a 10" barrel with a Crane spec .070" gas port (i.e. "mil-spec" Mk18), it'll suppress well and still shoot reliably with quality 223 and 5.56 ammo when unsuppressed. The PSA has a blow-hole sized gas port to cater to the typical Poverty State Armory customer (I have one as well) and you should definitely go for a BRT gas tube if suppressing.
    I need to shoot my MK18 back to back with my Super Duty 11.5. Its been a while but I remember the MK18 with E-BCG being super smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That’s probably the only practical way. A hell of a lot easier than changing out the gas block.

What was that company that made the pigtail gas tubes back in the 80s or 90s? French name?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s probably the only practical way. A hell of a lot easier than changing out the gas block.

What was that company that made the pigtail gas tubes back in the 80s or 90s? French name?
    Tim La France did have a twin gas tube system for ultra short ARs. Concept was somewhat similar to the pigtail gas tubes, might be you're conflating the two? PRI also made "fat boy" gas tubes that was grounded behind the same theories.

La Grance, that’s it. I remember that it was touted as a way of making SBRs run but didn’t recall the details.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    @MistWolf what do you think of the Sionics uppers which are build specifically for supressors? Good to go?
    I have no first hand experience with any Sionics AR. However, they have a reputation for good quality, getting the details right and delivering the highest customer service. They worked closely with Will Larson (RIP) who was a well trained, very experienced armorer of the AR family of weapons (and others including AK, Glock and M60) to make sure they got all the details right. Will gave Sionics his highest recommendation. Based on that, I'd be surprised if the Sionics was not good to go.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I would also order a BRT gas tube. If the 6960 has a slightly smaller gas port than other makers, it means the larger gas ports are too big. Colt knows what it's doing.

Congrats! You've taken the first step towards new learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I will definitely start looking at that option seriously. I've got some time before I'll need it.
    Why ?

The BRT tube is great for fixing guns which have issues. You don't even have the gun yet.

Shoot the gun, then shoot it with your chosen suppressor. If it is over gassed - a BRT gas tube is a valid solution. If not, why fix something which isn't broken ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why ?

The BRT tube is great for fixing guns which have issues. You don't even have the gun yet.

Shoot the gun, then shoot it with your chosen suppressor. If it is over gassed - a BRT gas tube is a valid solution. If not, why fix something which isn't broken ?
    After spending time and money experimenting, my conclusion is if an AR extracts, ejects and locks back on the last round unsuppressed, it is over gassed for suppressor use. Recoil will be unnecessarily sharp and become painful after more than a few shots. Sharp recoil batters the AR unnecessarily. There's no need to put up with either situation when the solution is easy and inexpensive. Normally, I tell people shoot before modifying, ammo before accessories, but in this case I make the exception. Does that mean I think a BRT gas tube has to be installed before shooting a factory Colt AR with a suppressor? No. Shooting suppressed before installing the BRT will show what a difference proper gas flow makes.

The BRT gas tube addresses one issue- An over sized gas port. The BRT gas tube is a simple, economical and acceptable alternative to replacing an over gassed barrel.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-03-2023 at 10:16 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why ?

To be honest, when I say I will starting looking at the option what I mean is that I will educate myself on it so that I can make a good decision when the time comes.

User Tag List