Thread: P226 Slide Cycling Speed

P226 Slide Cycling Speed

The P226 9mm returns on target fairly slow for me. My splits seem to hover in the .25 to .30 range at a comfortable pace for 7 to 10 yard targets maintaining centered A zone hits. This pace allows the gun to recover and I am getting good sight acquistion. This is fairly slow for myself, most full size guns (Glock, CZ, Tanfo, 1911, M&P, etc) are in the .17 to .24 range. I can shoot the P226 in the sub .24 split range but the hits get real sloppy, the sights are kinda all over the place, and I don't see the sights recover back to where the shot broke. What effects has anyone seen with different recoil spring weights in the P226? Does the hammer spring have any effect on this?

Just guessing but this seems like a function of the higher bore axis more than the cycle time? I'd imagine that to be a greater difference between the guns you mentioned than springs and such. Sig really forces your hands lower on the frame than most pistols so getting your support hand extra high and locked in really helps with the way they track. I shoot CZs mostly but very small differences in hand placement, grip pressure, and locking of the wrists have dramatic effects on sight recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesting Devil View Post
    Just guessing but this seems like a function of the higher bore axis more than the cycle time? I'd imagine that to be a greater difference between the guns you mentioned than springs and such. Sig really forces your hands lower on the frame than most pistols so getting your support hand extra high and locked in really helps with the way they track. I shoot CZs mostly but very small differences in hand placement, grip pressure, and locking of the wrists have dramatic effects on sight recovery.
    I get my support hand as high as possible, sometimes getting on the slide stop. I have good traction with stippled plastic grips. The gun is just slow, but I do enjoy shooting it.

HTML Code:
    taadski
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just some follow up, I started using a 12 pound Wolff variable recoil spring and it really flattened the recoil and it showed in my times. So much so that I wonder if my original spring had issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Just some follow up, I started using a 12 pound Wolff variable recoil spring and it really flattened the recoil and it showed in my times. So much so that I wonder if my original spring had issues.
    Nice! Link to the one you got?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Is that heavier or lighter than what you had?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Is that heavier or lighter than what you had?
    Factory 9mm spring weight is 16#

Recoil Springs - Variable for the P220 and P226.
    I needed a Gray Guns Fat Guide rod. Tried the Wolff spring with stock guide rod and the end of the spring got stuck between the slide and stock guide rod.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER...ID4/dID254#302

User Tag List