Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who are you training to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Or they've already gone down the path of chasing the impossible dream, realized what they are sacrificing to chase that 0.001% chance encounter, understand that avoidance has way more to do with surviving such an encounter than anything else, and got sensible about their training and their needs and goals.

You have to have priorities. If you're not going to the range or exercising in order to sit on the sofa with a gallon of rocky road, then yeah you're jacked up. But if the reason you're not doing those things is because you are spending good quality time with your kids, I'd say you understand very well the concept of priorities.

Men seem to chase proficiency in inconsequential crap like women chase looking like a Barbie doll. We hold up Tiger, and Mike, and Leatham, and Operator-whoever as these goals for ourselves that are just ridiculous. Hell, even in business, I've met very, very few wildly successful men with well-adjusted kids. Priorities? Yay! You got a Ferrari and your kid got another stint in rehab!

Goals need to be realistic and attainable, but just out of our immediate reach. And they need to be weighed against other priorities in life.
    Well said, my friend.
    #RESIST

Gandhi. I'd fight Gandhi.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's why I'd rather have a Ferrari than a kid. The Ferrari needs less maintenance.
    True, but...

My father thinks that raising kids is the most rewarding thing he has ever done. I'm still at the point of taking that on faith with my own kids (4 teenage daughters), but I am far enough along to know what he means.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Gandhi. I'd fight Gandhi.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I saw that episode; Ghandi totally kicked a$$.

Maybe he meant Indira, not Mohandas.

I always pictured him with the stretchy legs like Dhalsim.... scary.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Since the forum this originated from is mine and I have a personal relationship with the original author let me TRY and qualify a few things.

"Todd" was an archetype and an academic exercise. Nothing more nothing less. The purpose of the original thread over seven years ago WAS to explore the extremes. The author himself is probably as close to Todd as one could get though he would never say that. Former SEAL officer, trained MMA with Wanderlei in Curitiba, a Ph.D in Decision Science from Oxford UK, and he currently manages a boutique hedge fund worth about $100 million driven by a proprietary algorithem that he developed as his thesis for his doctorate.

Here's his blog:

http://bastiatblogger.blogspot.com/

I think this thread has strayed well away from Mitchell's original intent in posting this, and is certainly not the original spirit that the post was intended to be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Muhlenkamp View Post
    True, but...

My father thinks that raising kids is the most rewarding thing he has ever done. I'm still at the point of taking that on faith with my own kids (4 teenage daughters), but I am far enough along to know what he means.
    But kids don't go 210 MPH. And if they do, they're the Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    But kids don't go 210 MPH.
    Ever been in a room full of five year olds that just polished off an ice cream cake?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

So forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the point of this thread? I see seven pages of people saying they do or don't train for the possibilities and a lot of opinions on a "balanced life". Still not sure what that implies. A lot of opinions on others training habits etc. A post on chasing the unattainable, which is not why most of us train to fight, but that's ok. etc, ect. So, what's the point?

User Tag List