Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Extractor Woes

I had issues with a Gen 2 model 17 that would bop me in the face and head with ejected cases. I bought the gun used and have no idea how many rounds it had through it.

I had two master Glock armorers take a look at it and try to file the ejector to no avail.

I sent it to Glock, and got it back with a new problem that I had never encountered in the gun--horizontal stovepipes where the ejected case would get caught horizonally in the ejection port and interfere with the next round being fed.

The gun came back from Glock much worse than when I sent it there.

I then had a Lone Wolf extractor installed and an HRED and I was back to getting bopped in the head but no more malfunctions.

So I sent it to Randy Lee of Apex Tactical and he lowered the ejection port and did some tuning with the extractor and now it works fantastic.

Below is a picture of a normal Glock 17 on top of the one that Randy worked on. You can see the lowered ejection port on the bottom one.

I don't know that this will help anyone with Gen 3/4 problem Glocks, but Randy definitely addressed the issue of me getting bopped in the face and head with ejected cases.

I have a Gen 3 G34 with a "P" prefix serial number and the dip extractor (I'm learning...). The gun ran great until about the 2000 round mark then started experiencing the horizontal stove pipe. I assume this is the extractor/ejector issue that you all have been experiencing. My question... I might have a few non-LCI extractors in a box somewhere. If I can find them, are they compatible with this particular generation of production? It seems from previous posts that there is no "one fix" to this issue. I'm sorta' new to Glock problems as all my Glocks have always run extremely well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB View Post
    I might have a few non-LCI extractors in a box somewhere. If I can find them, are they compatible with this particular generation of production?
    Yes, it's compatible.

Site Supporter
    Until Randy Lee and Apex Tactical get their extractors and ejectors to market, the best fix I've found is an old, pre-dip Glock extractor OR a new Lone Wolf part combinded with the White Sound Defense HRED. That seems to bring problem guns around to decent performance. But, I think Randy's fix will be the best based on what he's advised his testing has revealed. Here's hoping anyway...

I have a new to me, but low round count 3rd Gen G17 that is having issues. I don't know the date of manufacture, but the spent casing envelope has that it was collected on 11/18/2011. Serial is SET 5**. It only had a couple hundred rounds through it before I got it, and I have put 500 rounds through it myself. During those 500 rounds I have experienced a 180 degree horizontal stove pipe, at least 1 round to the face from each magazine shot (sometimes more) and I had a FTFeed on the last round of a WHO string I was firing from a very new Glock mag.(I think this was a possible limp wrist issue.)

It has a 336 ejector and I'm not sure what extractor it has, but it has a #2 on it. Recoil spring part number I think is 5579 which is stamped on the end. So the gun has less than 1,000 rounds through it and is already exhibiting issues that have been discussed in this lengthy thread.

I have a 3rd Gen G19 PFM*** serial that has been outstanding for almost 4K rounds. Next time I'm at the range I'm going to try swapping some parts to see if anything changes.

Pics of extractor for G17

I just ordered the Lone Wolf LCI extractor and the corresponding LCI SLB. I am thinking of getting the White Sound Defense H.R.E.D. For those who have tried this combination have you had success?

This weekend I saw a 180 degree stovepipe and increasingly weak extraction/ejection (majority barely clearing my forearm) from my early edition Gen 4 G19 which is still running the original heavy RSA. I replaced the original extractor with another LCI spare which is older but I do not know from what year exactly. I suspect a few years old anyway (it was part of a collection of misc Glock parts a shooting bud gave me awhile back). Ejection pattern was immediately strong(-ish) and consistent to 4:00.

This gun had run 5K rds very well with one classic stove pipe thousands of rounds ago. It then ran 250 very well after the swap. And good for a PR clean FAST (from concealment) at 5.03 sec.

This harkens to the reports which Todd refers to of well running Gen 4's which eventually get a little sketchy with some mileage. I feel like I've joined some kind of club now.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-29-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Took my 3rd gen G17 that has been ejecting brass to my forehead to the range today after getting some spare parts in the mail.

I ordered:

1. Glock LCI Extractor. It has a # 4 stamped on it.
    2. LWD LCI Extactor. Nothing stamped on it.
    3. Glock Trigger Housing with 336 Ejector. They seem to all come with the 336 ejector, I could not find any different ones available.
    4. White Sound Defense H.R.E.D. Extractor Depressor Assembly

All the parts came from Glockparts.com. Ordered on Thursday late AM, shipped by middle of the afternoon and arrived in my mailbox on Saturday.

Right off the bat I tried the HRED with the stock #2 Ejector. First shot was a horizontal stovepipe. WTH! Cleared it, then ran another 25 rounds through. It was doing better with ejection (not nailing me in the forehead), but it was just barely going over my head. There were a few that seemed to just dribble out.

Next, I changed out the #2 stock extractor for the new #4 Glock extractor and put back in the Glock extractor depressor spring. First shot was a piece of brass right to the forehead. Didn't even go any further with that setup. Swapped it out for the HRED spring. Shot 25 rounds. Weak extraction. Some dribbling out, some going back right, some brushing my hair on the top of my head. Still not working right.

Next change was for the Lone Wolf LCI Extractor with Glock extractor depressor spring. Shot 25 rounds with weak extraction, some even going out in front of me to the right. None hit me in the forehead. So I swap out for the HRED spring with the Lone Wolf Extractor. Shoot 50 rounds through the gun. No brass to the forehead, strong ejection to the back right. There were a couple that seemed to not come out very strong, but I can't swear by it. I shot 2 Dot Torture test and had to go, but no brass to the face using the LWD LCI with White Sound Defense HRED spring. Many more rounds need to go through the gun to shake it out. Will have to see what happens over the next couple days with this setup.

Anybody have any other ideas?

ETA: Can a Gen 4 9mm Glock Trigger Housing go in a Gen 3 gun?
    Last edited by tmoore912; 05-30-2012 at 07:37 PM.

We are diminished
    ETA: Can a Gen 4 9mm Glock Trigger Housing go in a Gen 3 gun?
    A buddy at Glock just sent me a text message in response to this question. He said that they do not advise using a gen4 trigger housing in earlier generation guns. According to him, there are potential reliability and safety concerns. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A buddy at Glock just sent me a text message in response to this question. He said that they do not advise using a gen4 trigger housing in earlier generation guns. According to him, there are potential reliability and safety concerns. Don't do it.
    Assuming the ejectors aren't different, you could push the ejector out of the newer gen housing and put in the older one correct? (I understand you don't want to remove/install ejectors too much as it can loosten up the slot). I'm assuming this is the scenario where you want a 30274 ejector to try, but can't get one individually.

User Tag List