Thread: Minimizing Starburst/Bloom with Mini Red Dot

Minimizing Starburst/Bloom with Mini Red Dot

Quick backstory: I had astigmatism in both eyes and horrible eyesight, got PRK, now much better. However, I still have some level of starburst/bloom through red dot sights, like a lot of folks. I don't know if it is from the bad eyesight, astigmatism leftovers, the "haloing" effect of bright lights that the doc warned me about, or something else. I know that the general advice is to either move to an etched reticle, try a holographic reticle, or look at the dot through the rear iron sight on an AR to minimize the effect. However, I just purchased a Glock 19 MOS and borrowed a buddy's Vortex Venom (6 MOA) to try out. I got instant starburst, even on the lowest setting. Bummer. I don't believe that any of the usual rifle-mounted red dot fixes are applicable here.

So I have a couple questions.
    - First, would going from a 6 MOA dot on the Venom to a 3.25, 3, 2.5, or even 1 MOA dot minimize blooming? I have an Aimpoint PRO (2 MOA) on my AR, which has a starburst, but not to this degree. I've noticed even less blooming with 1 MOA dots on ARs, so I'm wondering if the same would hold true for handgun optics. I'm sure the quality difference between Vortex and Aimpoint has some effect, but I'm not sure how much.
    - Second, would changing the reticle shape help? I know that some people have had better luck with Eotech holographic sights on rifles, but the only other shape options I know of for handgun mounted optics are the delta (Deltapoint Pro/RMR) or the circle/circle dot from the new Holosun. If I'm understanding correctly, the Eotech optics are holographic and use a different projection system, which is the difference maker, not the shape itself. I wanted to ask anyway.
    - Third, has anyone found any other viable option for reducing starburst on handguns? Combinations of sights, sucking it up and not worrying about it, whatever you've found. I like the idea and want to make it work, but I'd like to what you folks with much more experience have determined.

I tried searching and found a couple threads where people mention starburst/bloom, but nothing directly on point. Most threads regard rifle-mounted red dots and include rifle-specific mitigation options or mention the starburst and move on. Mods, please move/edit/delete as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by p1090 View Post
    - Second, would changing the reticle shape help? I know that some people have had better luck with Eotech holographic sights on rifles, but the only other shape options I know of for handgun mounted optics are the delta (Deltapoint Pro/RMR) or the circle/circle dot from the new Holosun. If I'm understanding correctly, the Eotech optics are holographic and use a different projection system, which is the difference maker, not the shape itself. I wanted to ask anyway.
    Just a FYI, but the Shield minisight (SMS, I believe it's called a J-Point in the U.S.?) is available with a 1MOA dot and 65MOA circle reticle. Although if I understand correctly, the circle is just made of 8 or so dots around the center dot, so not sure if that would be of any help at all.

21 days post PRK and Aimpoints are looking better for me though this may change. Prior to correction with both contacts and glasses I had bursts that were worse and without correction it was the same. Smaller dots were always better for me. Magnified optics were a touch better too.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I've only had two things resolve this issue for me:
    The cheap red-dots that can be switched to a + shaped dot. Those are nice and clear.

or

A rear peep that cowitnesses with the dot as is the case on an AR with flip up BUIS. When I look through the rear peep, the red dot is nice and crisp.

I suppose putting a merit aperture on shooting glasses would work as well, but I haven't tried that.

In general, I've seen no improvement with changes in dot size.

Chris

User Tag List