Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamers

Quote Originally Posted by shiv View Post
    It was amended to what it is now. That doesn’t mean it *shouldn’t* be changed. What I know is that our country is being destroyed based off what is essentially a loop hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are against the 14th Amendment? Wow, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The following countries have unrestricted jus soli (citizenship by birth on their territory):

Antigua and Barbuda
    Argentina
    Barbados Barbados
    Belize
    Bolivia
    Brazil
    Canada
    Chile
    Costa Rica
    Cuba
    Dominica
    Ecuador
    El Salvador
    Fiji
    Grenada
    Guatemala
    Guyana
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Lesotho
    Mexico
    Nicaragua
    Pakistan
    Panama
    Paraguay
    Peru
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    Tanzania
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Tuvalu
    United States
    Uruguay
    Venezuela
    I am very surprised to see Canada, Chile, and Peru on that list.
    It's a fascinating tidbit about national mindsets. Where did you get the list, HCM?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I am very surprised to see Canada, Chile, and Peru on that list.
    It's a fascinating tidbit about national mindsets. Where did you get the list, HCM?
    http://harvardhrj.com/wp-content/upl...n-Gonzalez.pdf

Depending on how you define it there are either 30, or 33 countries which follow Jus Soli. It is mostly a new world / Western Hemisphere phenomenon.

The only two I know of which had it and subsequently eliminated it are Malta, and more in point, India which eliminated in 2004 it due to illegal immigration from neighboring Bangladesh.

Most countries follow Jus Sanguinis or “Law of the Blood” as found in Roman Law.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-06-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Isn't that essentially what we have with the current system of citizens and LPRs?

LPRs (and any person in the US) have the same constitutional protections of citizens, can get a SSN and are eligible for SSA benefits following 40 quarters of SS-covered work, though LPRs can have their status changed and be deported, can be excluded upon attempted reentry when travelling abroad, are not eligible for a US passport, etc. They essentially have limited claim to residing in the US.

I'll go a step further and say we've created a much more severe third class by knowingly allowing IAs to live here. They can get a work card regardless of not having legal status, but are eligible for little else and subject to deportation when the federal government sees fit.

So, in my estimation we already have a system that allows two descending layers of underclass.
    IAs are not able to get Enployment authorization cards without attaining some lawful status even if it’s temporary.

I think you are referring to ITN Individual Taxpayer ID Numbers which are issued by the IRS. They are supposed to go to aliens lawfully present but not eligible for SSNs such as the spouses of non immigrant workers, students etc. the IRS seems to give them to IAs because, let’s face it, who doesn’t like free tax money ?

Dreamers

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    You are against the 14th Amendment? Wow, ok.
    I am against illegal immigrants coming here for the sole purpose of having their children here so they can be US citizens. I’m against vacation babies? Are you for that? Wow!

Last edited by shiv; 02-06-2018 at 10:01 PM.

I am against illegal immigrants coming here for the sole purpose of having their children here so they can be US citizens. I’m against vacation babies? Are you for that? Wow!

I follow the Constitution, amended after 600,000 died in a war that made all men citizens. If you are born here, you are a US citizen same as everyone else.

I follow the Constitution, amended after 600,000 died in a war that made all men citizens. If you are born here, you are a US citizen same as everyone else.
    Not really much to argue against there. I personally don't like it. I don't think jumping across the border illegally and popping out a baby is really in the spirit of the law, but it is the Supreme law. They are U.S. Citizens.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Dreamers

You conveniently didn’t answer my question.

Are all laws just? Do you think unjust laws should stand?

Do you think the law should allow people to illegally cross our border so that they can give birth in the US? Do you believe people should have birth vacations?

And you wouldn’t follow it if amended again not to allow anchor babies?

The constitution has a means of amending it.

So are you saying the constitution wasn’t worth following before the 14th amendment?

For your opinion to carry any weight, you should easily be able to answer my questions. If you can’t/won’t, I don’t think your opinion holds much water in this conversation.

Perhaps all the anchor babies and illegals will get their way and we won’t have a constitution for you to follow.

Last edited by shiv; 02-06-2018 at 11:43 PM.

And you wouldn’t follow it if amended again not to allow anchor babies?

Perhaps all the anchor babies and illegals will get their way and we won’t have a constitution for you to follow.

Well, if it is amended, we need to repeal 16 simultaneously, and while we're at it, expand the definition of Treason to include any elected or appointed official lying to We the People
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Not really much to argue against there. I personally don't like it. I don't think jumping across the border illegally and popping out a baby is really in the spirit of the law, but it is the Supreme law. They are U.S. Citizens.
    That's the hurdle I'm having with the reports of Russian women doing this... I hate to argue against it but we know that the best interests of our nation are definitely not at thought there.

I don't think any amendment or new law would be "right" anyway. Like BBI noted this is just a fun distraction piece as it is politically toxic to the "other". I grew up surrounded by migrant workers in the orchards and I can't criticize their desires or work ethic. Without them there would be a insurmountable labor shortage in Ag.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List