Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehigh has changed my idea of a field pistol

Any thoughts on the +P vs +P+ in 9mm with this load?
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Underwood lists the +P at 1,250 and +P+ at 1,350 fps. I didn't even know the +P+ load existed, and only have tested the +P, which has functioned in numerous 9mm pistols. I am not sure that the extra 100 fps will be meaningful in penetration, but I worry about it being more at the edge of the reliability envelope. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Any thoughts on the +P vs +P+ in 9mm with this load?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Underwood has a sale going on through midnight tonight, 10% off after entering the sale code at checkout.

I've currently got 9mm 115 gr +p and 357 magnum 140 gr and am keeping a magazine full of the former for woods use in California, one of my current projects is along the Smith River and 9mm should be plenty for anything I'm likely to encounter there. There's more 9mm +p and some +p+ on the way, I'm using it in a P2000 but have only tested the +p so far (runs well of course, but then so does everything I've put through my P2000s). And I'm probably going to pick up a G29 SF soon and order some 10 mm for occasional out of state trips through brown bear country.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Not GJM but I did test some of the .38 Special (not labeled +P) Underwood stuff, their"defender" not "penetrator" Lehigh bullets.

Two hard primers that caused my old D frame to need a second strike, which I found troubling, will not load the Colt with these. Felt recoil was very similar to the +P loading of the 110gr Barnes copper bullets as loaded by Buffalo bore, not mild but tolerable.

Underwood Ammunition 38 Special 100 Grain Lehigh Xtreme Defender

S&W J frame 640 1 7/8” barrel
    1196.6 fps Average
    27.6 Standard Deviation
    80 Extreme Spread
    POI =1 3/8” low and 3/4” left at 8 yards

S&W M12-3 2” barrel
    1194.6 fps Average
    21.8 Standard deviation
    68 Extreme Spread
    POI=1 3/8” left and elevation correct at 8 yards

Colt D frame Agent 2” barrel
    1222.5 fps Average
    19.2 Standard Deviation
    51 Extreme Spread
    POI=1” high and 1 1/2 “ left at 8 yards
    Thank you. Any penetration tests?
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Thank you. Any penetration tests?
    nope, never tried all that jello and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Walking around with my tab on in Grizz country....ugh no, thats a bad idea eh?

Then when I hunt with a compound and release in grizz country I am in the habit of swapping the release to the back of my hand. Some hunts I strap my bow to my pack...like when bushwhacking through the alders on Kodiak...so my hands are free. Just as in shooting drills...its the little things- grin
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    Walking around with my tab on in Grizz country....ugh no, thats a bad idea eh?

Then when I hunt with a compound and release in grizz country I am in the habit of swapping the release to the back of my hand. Some hunts I strap my bow to my pack...like when bushwhacking through the alders on Kodiak...so my hands are free. Just as in shooting drills...its the little things- grin
    I'm not really in any area where grizzlies are a big concern, thankfully, the Cascades haven't had them in any thing but suspicions for a long time. That is changing up north but not worth my attention, IMO. I can grab my Blackhawk well enough with the tab that I'm still liking bow readiness since I'm not too concerned with black bears and cats. While I haven't practiced with it I imagine I can work a can of spray well enough.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I'm not really in any area where grizzlies are a big concern, thankfully, the Cascades haven't had them in any thing but suspicions for a long time. That is changing up north but not worth my attention, IMO. I can grab my Blackhawk well enough with the tab that I'm still liking bow readiness since I'm not too concerned with black bears and cats. While I haven't practiced with it I imagine I can work a can of spray well enough.
    Gotcha, i just know from experience those BW tabs get hung up on everything....and we both know the best tried and true bear deterrent is to have a bear tag in your pocket- grin
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    Gotcha, i just know from experience those BW tabs get hung up on everything....and we both know the best tried and true bear deterrent is to have a bear tag in your pocket- grin
    Dude, you have no idea. I had seen more bears this summer than ever but as soon as the season started the cloaking field fur activated.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Dude, you have no idea. I had seen more bears this summer than ever but as soon as the season started the cloaking field fur activated.
    I've had a bear that spends a good portion of her time on my property. I've been watching her get bigger every year for 4 years, and thought this might be the year to turn her into a rug, but she went and got herself knocked up with twins.

Maybe next year.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List