Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: The efficacy of .22 in a self defense role

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    As a general test/drill, obviously one can shoot it with whatever gun one chooses. The skills it tests are certainly not caliber specific.

Having said that, while it's not become an issue yet, I imagine I'd have a hard time giving away a coin or pin to someone who shot it with something smaller than a 9mm (maybe .380) or .38 Special.
    Honestly based on most of the .380s I've given a whirl I'd say 9x19mm is probably gonna be easier anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Honestly based on most of the .380s I've given a whirl I'd say 9x19mm is probably gonna be easier anyway .
    Yeah, if someone can do a sub-7 with an LCP they should get TWO coins.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I shot my 43C today for the first time today, and the sights were well regulated. Overall, it was a hoot, and I blasted thru 100 rounds as fast as I could reload the cylinder. The 351C was less fun, because the trigger is SO heavy. May need to call S&W and tell them either it needs to be lighter or traded on another 43C for my wife.

If a fellow wanted the best load for potting rabbits and birds, and be best possible for use as a BUG, what load would that be?

The Velocitors are my pick from my 317. They shoot to POA, and although they don't expand they are among the fastest .22lr rounds you can buy, and are still a 40gr bullet. And they are quite accurate. My 2nd choice is the Stingers.

From a rifle my choices might be different, depending on the target.

Completely "unscientific" type testing, but while the .25 tests better in gelatin I have notes that both of these .22s do better on hard targets. An example would be one day at the range I needed to pop some holes in a 55 gallon steel drum to make a new burn barrel. .25 FMJ from a Beretta went through the bottom of the barrel, but then when I tried to poke a few holes in the sides I got a small dent a a welt on my shin. Of course I tried it again to see if it was somehow a squib round, but no, I ended up doing a very short version of the river dance dodging another ricochet.
    Stingers from a Beretta 21 and my 317 would poke right through the sides of the barrel and leave a dent on the far side.

What does this prove? Maybe nothing, but if I have to face shoot a bad guy with a micro caliber handgun I would prefer to be launching Velocitors or Stingers than .25acp FMJ.

On FAST with a .22 pistol;

I would think that hitting the reload might be far more difficult with a skinny little magazine being inserted into a skinny little mag well. That alone might negate the time advantage from the lack of recoil.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I would think that hitting the reload might be far more difficult with a skinny little magazine being inserted into a skinny little mag well. That alone might negate the time advantage from the lack of recoil.
    Good point. That, and I still need to take that verdammt mag disconnect safety out of mine... (Also, my forward thumb has a tendency to foul the slide stop and prevent it from locking back.)

Still, I shoot it well enough that if it was all I had, I wouldn't feel unarmed with it. Just stuff it full of Velocitors and plan on going cyclic on the bad guy.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    A buddy of mine just equipped his ladyfriend with a Beretta 21A in .22LR (her choice). I did my Product Improvement Program for the sights and ejection tool. He has trained her to shoot business cards at 7 yards with it, which piques my interest in how well she can shoot the FAST with it.
    Can you explain the what the bolded part means please? A blog post would be fine if it is useful to you. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Can you explain the what the bolded part means please? A blog post would be fine if it is useful to you. Thanks.
    I believe hes covered it in his blog. Doing a site specific google search may turn it up. Perhaps "ejection tool" site:https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

Another search term may be "old man gun" with the site specified again.

Edit: Or perhaps not. I didn't find it in a search. It may have been a thread somewhere else. I recall reading it, just not where...
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-01-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Hammertime
    Thank you! Still interested in what he does to the sights.

I believe- blacken rear sight with sharpie. Front sight is either painted with nail polish over white enamel (Claude said he gets it at Home Depot- the white enamel, not the finger nail polish. In appliance section he wrote). OR a small piece of 3M reflective tape. Degrease front sight then affix tape. Actually sticks well. If you need a piece of tape pm me and I will mail it to you. It is on amazon. Below is one.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reflective...eflective+tape

He Also widens the rear notch with a file.

User Tag List