Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I have a NXS 1-4, but with the NP-1 reticle. My next NXS will be ordered with the FC-3G, but would like to get some opinions on the NP-1. Is it a total non-starter for carbine class / SHTF? If so, is it worth sending to Nightforce for reticle replacement or best to sell at a loss and buy another?

I have taken a class with this scope and it worked well, but most stuff will when it's sunny and 75 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

-Rainman
    Both of my Nightforce 1-4's were upgraded to the FC-3G. One was the older FC-2 and the other the NP-1. Both worked fine as they were but the FC-3G is much better.

You can send your current optic to NF for a reticle exchange. The price was not unreasonable and the scopes came back like brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I have found ballistic calculators confusing. I input the sight height (2.5"), I input actual chronographed velocity and BC, and they are all sorts of off. I am about 2-3" high at 100 yards with a 50 yard zero, ever time. The BC says I should be a hair over an inch. Why? What am I missing? BC, height, zero, velocity...
    External ballistics is a science that not everyone enjoys trying to understand as it can be very confusing due to the variables that affect spin stabilized projectile flight. Muzzle velocity as measured by chronographs that rely on light source and shadows are rarely ever even remotely accurate and BC's are usually far from true.

Once you can learn to properly manipulate a ballistic solver, you will appreciate their capability more.

Most likely your chronographed velocity was off by as much as 10% as was the BC of the projectile you were shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 00bullitt View Post
    External ballistics is a science that not everyone enjoys trying to understand as it can be very confusing due to the variables that affect spin stabilized projectile flight. Muzzle velocity as measured by chronographs that rely on light source and shadows are rarely ever even remotely accurate and BC's are usually far from true.

Once you can learn to properly manipulate a ballistic solver, you will appreciate their capability more.

Most likely your chronographed velocity was off by as much as 10% as was the BC of the projectile you were shooting.
    At 100 yards though, from a 50 yard zero, that should not result in over an inch-2 inches of deviation, I wouldn't think. In fact, I shot multiple loads to the same POI deviation from 50 to 100 yards, some of which arrived several hundred FPS slower at 100 yards, yet they did not drop any more from the same POI at 50 yards, so I can't see it being a velocity deviation issue?

What solver did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by 00bullitt View Post
    What solver did you use?
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I have found ballistic calculators confusing. I input the sight height (2.5"), I input actual chronographed velocity and BC, and they are all sorts of off. I am about 2-3" high at 100 yards with a 50 yard zero, ever time. The BC says I should be a hair over an inch. Why? What am I missing? BC, height, zero, velocity...
    Skip all that "solver" computer BS and go shoot at 200. Then shoot again at 100 and 50 (and 300 if you can) to be sure.

Best solution, and only sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Skip all that "solver" computer BS and go shoot at 200. Then shoot again at 100 and 50 (and 300 if you can) to be sure.

Best solution, and only sure thing.
    I agree 100%, I just don't know why it's so bloody inaccurate.

I guess if you are not shooting to beyond 300, then the solver really does not show benefit. I shoot some of my 5.56 AR platform rifles to 600 and other rifles to a mile and sometimes more. The solver is a necessary tool in my kit.

I agree 100%, I just don't know why it's so bloody inaccurate.
    Which is the problem with such things.

Personal, I have no interest in learning some new widget, software, whatever. Rounds on paper is how I figure out where I am and should be zeroed.

Which, as listed above by others, until you shoot at distance X you aren't really sure where a round is gong to hit at that distance.

Randy Cain's carbine course gets you a solid 200 yard zero. How you get there is part of the I structin and training in the course. But you don't just stop at 200, you work back in and check to see where you are now. I've seen people think they are "on" at 50 (which, according to the internet means they are dead nuts at 200) and get out to 200 and be 6" off left or right. The "solver" may not explain it, but there it is on the paper.

Solvers, ime, work great when you put good info in, as noted above. A 200 yard zero is great for point blank shooting, but for LR stuff, solvers make life much easier. Dope at every range is just not practical all the time, and a solver gets you there much faster and easier. Still need to verify it, but it really speeds the process up.

User Tag List