Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Man, I'd sure like a 9mm j-frame...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A four round speed strip is really easy to carry, and can get at least two rounds into the gun rather quickly
    I concur, for whatever that's worth. I shot the ugly Model 36 in a IDPA "Carry Gun Only" match and used a HKS 36 and two speed strips. The speed strips worked well, better than I expected for being on the clock and all.

On a slight tangent, I had no idea that do many people that worked in non permissive environments carried full sized blaster. I must really rethink my concealment strategy. [\sarcasm]
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, I have learned something over the last couple of years. If you've been reloading for a decade or two or three, you typically have not only the equipment but the supplies readily available to roll plenty of ammo, and thus tend to fall out of touch with what we might think of as the realities of new and modern gun ownership.
    -Rob
    You are correct. I am out of touch and really, I don't want to get in touch with factory ammo prices. The time vs. money issue is real, but most of us waste enough time in a day that we could use some of it to reload cartridges. You, my man, truly won't have much, if any, spare time for the foreseeable future so I'd recommend you just pony up for ammo.

Anyway, back to the topic of 9mm J frames. I had one, and it worked very well with issued Federal ammo. If it was slightly dirty, say after ten rounds, it would fire rounds loaded without a moon clip. Of course there was no way to get the cases out easily, but I concluded it was a good thing to know if it ever came down to the need to reload the 940 from ammo in spare mags. Why did I get rid of this gem? Because a G26 is about the same size. To me the advent of small, reliable 9mm autos put a stake through the heart of 9mm revolvers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT_Calle View Post
    The 547 is moon clip-less but I believe it's a k-frame, not J-frame. I'm not sure what barrel lengths were produced either but might be worth some investigation?
    I bought a 3" 547 years ago when 9mmP ammo was very cheap as a practice understudy for my 3" 13. The 547 extraction worked as long as the gun was pretty clean, but the HKS speedloaders were problematic with it because, at least with my particular gun, the rounds would not drop into the chambers. I had to release the speedloader and then push them in the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    ...especially a moonclip-less one.

Fool's errand? Waste of time?

I'm considering rechambering a 642/442, finding a relatively inexpensive 940, or maybe even the CA 9mm pit bull (which seems like a bad idea).

My main reason is that a jframe is ideal for me for certain carry situations, and that I really don't want to get into another caliber outside of the 9mm I already have if I don't need to.

Thoughts?

You mean like this. http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
    Don't bash it unless you have one or at least tried one. I EDC with one and it has been flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    ... it has been flawless.

Hollywood, how many rounds through the gun is flawless? What kind of accuracy have to gotten from that gun? How long have your carried it?

I used to buy and recommend Taurus handguns, both semi-autos and revolvers, but I can't anymore in good conscience due to the abysmal QC that Taurus has exhibited over the past decade or so. I am not "hating" or "bashing" on Taurus when I am reporting issues with guns that I have owned that were complete junk.

I am not "hating" or "bashing" on Taurus when I am reporting issues with guns that I have owned that were complete junk.
    Nor I when recounting the issues with multiple dozens of evidence Tauri I have examined.

There are indeed "working" Tauri.

These are over-shadowed by the equally numerous non-working variety.

And, Hollywood... Just for future reference, using the word "flawless" on this forum is like wearing Hunter Orange on a public wildlife area during deer season. IOW, everybody else is likely to take a shot at you...

I clicked the Taurus link, and was stunned to find they introduced something goofier than the Curve: a 5-shot .380 ACP revolver. Mercy!

Hollywood, how many rounds through the gun is flawless?

What kind of accuracy have to gotten from that gun?

How long have your carried it?
    Close to a 1000 the only time it failed to fire is because I installed a wolf spring kit since reinstalling the stock springs; "flawless"

From 7 yds 1.5- 2 inches in DA since it's DAO

Close to a year and a half

I was skeptical also but honestly it has been a very reliable revolver if I wasn't sure I wouldn't carry the damn thing. If you search a little you will find issues with all of them. At the beginning of this post the smith was hammered on.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    In about a three-month period in, out of five Taurus 905IBs we sold, four had to go back to the factory. One of them twice. (It came out of the box with so much endshake that it wouldn't reliably light primers.)

That was years ago and maybe they've fixed them since then, but you know what they say: "Fool me four times, shame on you..."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List