Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I ditched AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    6'2, 220, 44 chest, 36 waist.

SME conceals a 1911 very well although if I don't have an undershirt, vigorous activities will chew me up.

I typically wear fairly low-rise pants which are snug in the thighs (particularly these days from squats and deads) and t shirts that are fitted but not tight.

Currently on a strength phase and carrying a little more fat than usual. When I cut my waist down to 34 I can AIWB a Volkswagen.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    LOL!!!! I was a daily VW GTI driver for a 1 1/2 years, just went back to a F250. Never had comfort issues while driving.

I'm 6'2" 275lbs with a spare tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Yeah, but you're talking about AIWB IN a Volkswagen.

When I'm not fat I can get a fox in my pants.

Yes, intentional

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Check Mate.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

J frame 4 o'clock iwb, forget it's there. Stays comfortable with virtually any pants or shorts that I wear. Ride my motorcycle or sit it the truck all day...no problem. aiwb is uncomfortable physically in too many scenarios and from a mental stand point I just don't like where the barrels pointed...couldn't get past that no matter how comfortable it was lol...

Keep in mind guys that mens jeans are now vanity sized as well. Measure with a tape measure.

I'm 5'11", 168lbs 30" waist (jean size 30/31 with AIWB), 42" chest, 27" natural belt line/hips.

G19 in a Dark Star Gear G34 AIWB every day in medium shirts. Can hide a G17 if wearing a hoodie.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    6'2, 220, 44 chest, 36 waist. (measured with a tape, not clothes sizes)

SME conceals a 1911 very well although if I don't have an undershirt, vigorous activities will chew me up.

I typically wear fairly low-rise pants which are snug in the thighs (particularly these days from squats and deads) and t shirts that are fitted but not tight.

Currently on a strength phase and carrying a little more fat than usual. When I cut my waist down to 34 I can AIWB a Volkswagen.

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I don't know whether AIWB with the right holster will ultimately work for you or not, but I've found that when I attempt to shoehorn a normal IWB holster into the appendix position the results are terrible in terms of comfort and concealability. To work well, the holster really needs to be built specifically for appendix carry.
    + 1,000 internet points for OAK.

I tried the same trick with a Bianchi straight drop hand stitched cardboard/leather holster that I got for like 30 bucks. I just got a CCC Shaggy for my Beretta 92 in today. It is a freaking big gun. I'm 5'9 and about 160 lbs and it is quite simply the most comfortable carry method I've used, and concealment is on par with what I can get away with in 4:00 carry. I also have traditional IWB holsters (also made by CCC) that work very well (much better than the hand stitched cardboard holster). The right gear is more expensive. But the comfort is worth it. Buy once, cry once, avoid having boxes of holsters you no longer use and spend the extra money on ammo.

This applies to IWB and AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Buy once, cry once, avoid having boxes of holsters you no longer use and spend the extra money on ammo.

This applies to IWB and AIWB.
    Precisely why I read a lot on here when considering AIWB. The top runners (for full size guns) seems to be the SME, Shaggy, Keepers, and JM. The SME is out because the website still shows outdated production dates and what not, and even on threads on here has not been mentioned new work being taken. I would revisit this later on if it becomes a viable option as I have always preferred leather for CCW.

I scored a Shaggy and JM used and have them on hand, and have a keepers en route very soon to me. Will get to mess with them and compare what works better "for me" and be done. OAK has also helped me a lot with this via pm. Lot's of good guys on here and much info to learn from if one has the desire to learn something. I didn't want that box full of stuff like when I ran the gamut on strong side IWB, only to settle on the MS VM2 which was advised to me from the beginning and I did not listen.
    Energy goes where attention flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
    I didn't want that box full of stuff like when I ran the gamut on strong side IWB, only to settle on the MS VM2 which was advised to me from the beginning and I did not listen.
    Yes, but sometimes you end up with that full box anyway; be prepared for it, as concealed carry is an intensely personal thing. The best of intentions and advice can be be exactly what you were looking for… or totally useless to you.

Good luck in your search.

I agree--listen to OAK (AKA King of all Junk Carry). Here are a few things that have helped my AIWB system: I added a homemade pillow to my JMCK (see below), which makes it very comfortable, and keeps the muzzle pointed away from the junk. As well, I keep my 1.25" Frequent Flier belt a bit loose (bottom image), so the holster can move when I bend over or sit.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List