Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PPC Revolver

I check gunbroker from time to time, I'm just not well-read enough at this point to discern what I need and what I don't need. I need to read up on the technical stuff and see if a used gun is what I'm looking for. I good used gun would probably be best since I don't dig on the new Smiths with the lock. Anything I would have built new would be on an old gun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    ... what I need and what I don't need.
    Waht do you want the gun to DO?

They are amazingly accurate (if built right), but as Tamara noted the triggers are "set" for relatively slow manipulation. IOW, if you try to burn down steel plates as fast as you can, you're going to be in for a surprise.

They are accurate... but to get the most out of them requires special ammunition that you cannot find at Wally World or most gun shops. And when you do find it, you wallet will run away screaming. IOW, it will shoot WWB or other generic 130gr ball .38, or .38 RNL, or any other commonly-found .38 ammunition; but not any better than your basic skinny barrel Model 10. You can load this "special" ammo, but your bullets have to be primo... such as the excellent Speer swaged 148gr HBWC. I dunno if they even offer that bullet anymore.

I hope you're getting the picture that these things are VERY specialized. Not trying to rain on your parade here; just sayin'...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I briefly had a slab-barreled K-38 with a full-on PPC trigger job; roller lockwork, and the inside of the frame relieved so that there was just a small bearing surface for the hammer, and that meticulously polished. It had a DA trigger pull that was just sick light. Five pounds? It was a "Federal primers only" gamer gun, though.

The glory days of cheap used PPC guns pretty much went away with the glory days of cheap used ex-po-po revolvers in general, though.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

After making Master class using a K-38, I actually had Austin Behlert build me one on a Mdl 15 when he was still located in Kenilworth, NJ.

Wouldn't you know it I got out of PPC shortly thereafter because I was working close to full time hours while going to college full time. To be competitive in Master class you had to put a lot of practice time in, something I didn't have. I got rid of the gun shortly afterward.

A few years after school I picked up an early 6" 686 and found I did as well with that is I did with the Behlert built gun. It just fit me well and the heavy 686 barrel was everything that the Douglas barrel was. Maybe you should look for a pre-lock 686 to scratch this itch. Mine had a taller pinned front sight allowing for a neck hold on a B-27 target at 50 yards.

On a side note both the action on he K-38 and my PPC gun were worked on by Austin and neither had issues with slow trigger return.

I can't speak to a Colt built gun but if you decide to go forward and get a Smith you can always freshen up the main spring and rebound spring to tune it to where you want it both trigger speed and cracking primer reliability wise. this should be a fairly inexpensive do it yourself adjustment.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

What I'm interested in is a basic old school PPC gun. I'm not looking to burn down .18 splits with it. More interested in accuracy and a smooth trigger. We got the revolver crazy about 10 years ago shooting IDPA so I'm fine with experimenting with loads and primers to run it. I'm going back to 148 wadcutters for my .38 reloads and may buy a mould in that flavor. This is more a labour of love than an obsession as I've always thought PPC would be interesting and would like to leave my son a unique assortment of blasters. Gunbroker has used guns for under a grand so maybe that's the place to start.

Okay, good enough.

Just be aware that there are quite a few frankengun "PPC revolvers" out there, slapped together by Billy-Bob and his cousin Cletus. Unfortunately, anybody could/can acquire a Douglas or Apex, etc., bull barrel.

Look for a genuine Davis, Power, Eversull, Weddle, Glenn, etc. gun.

Do plenty of research before you buy a mold. A hollow base full wadcutter is going to provide the best accuracy, but those molds are a flaming PITA to use. Bullet casting is one aspect of the game I never got into, but I watched many a cast bullet drop from friends' molds. And of course you know to slug your barrel before choosing a sizing die.

As an aside, the most accurate of the several bull guns I owned was a Davis Grade Three with an Apex 1-in-10 micro groove (ten lands and grooves, right hand 1/10 twist) barrel. It slugged out at .356". When trying to stabilize wadcutters, the "faster" the barrel the better. This is why Colts and Smolts generally outshot S&Ws back in the early days of the game, because of the Python barrel's 1/14 twist as opposed to S&W's 1/18.75.

Good luck in your search. The best powders I found for the long line were 230P, its replacement 231, and 452AA... which you can buy these days as WST. The old stand-by 2.7 of Bullseye load always made me squirm. Despite many who dismiss it, the fact remains that more than a few guns WERE blown with this load, due to detonation. That's another research project in and of itself...

I didn't spot this one in time to forward the link at Gunbroker.com but it's a good example of what's out there. The listing ended 2-days ago it went for a mere $500 ......

The only thing worse than arrogance is false humility.

I never did like that front-adjustable Davis rib, although they were very popular. I preferred the Apex rib that had the three positions on the rear sight. True, you needed a screwdriver to change it, but I always kept one close by in the range box (everybody carried a box of some sort with them to the line, for toting extra speedloaders, carbide lamp, etc.) in case the light changed drastically.

This looks like a pretty neat gun with a guy looking to deal.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...n-5-screw.html
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Can't wait to get this "house sold/house bought" thing outta the way and start chasing some guns.

User Tag List