Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PPC Revolver

PPC Revolver

Having gotten into the gun game back in the 80's I remember reading old issues of Handguns and American Handgunner and really digging the articles about John Pride and PPC competitions. One project I've always wanted to take on is acquiring my own PPC revolver. Life is slowing down and that may be next on my "to do" gun list. Can anybody direct me to any informational sources and/or gunsmiths that still do the work. I realize that PPC isn't the popular game in town but matches can still be found locally on occasion and it's just something I've always wanted to do. I know Clark Custom is a good starting point but I am looking for well kept secrets. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SteveK; 05-13-2014 at 12:31 PM.

I can't answer as to PPC specifically. Scott over at SDM Fabricating is a magician in full house S&W builds. I've handled several of his IDPA 625's and bowling pin 610's. Flawless.

I'd probably look at Alan Tanaka if I was going to do a new build, but there are a number of old guns for sale out there in the used gun market. I've seen most of the big names represented over the years and I even ran across a Ron Power Grand Master a few months ago ... one of the last he ever built. They're out there, you just got to keep an eye out for them.

Some of the better guns were built by Austin Behlert, Bill Davis and Travis Strahan. Come to think of it I think Frank Glenn may still build heavy barreled revolvers.

Don't over look the stuff built by local builders, either. I've seen some "no-name" guns that would shoot in the X-Ring all day long at 50 yards with practice ammo.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-13-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Brian Enos' forum has a bunch of guys dedicated to Bianchi Revolver - many of 'em discuss their builds, which are similar to PPC revo.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Interestingly, one characteristic of PPC revolvers was ultralight trigger pulls, usually without much worry about keeping a reasonable weight rebound spring. When I first started getting seriously into revolvers back in '01, my gunsmith did some great PPC-style trigger jobs on them; feather-light and still busting primers reliably.

Unfortunately, they also reset glacially slow and were easy to get ahead of the trigger on when you tried to run them fast. I've been putting heavier rebound springs in them to get them back to where I could use them for something other than slow fire.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'd seriously consider a used gun. I occasionally see Clark and Power revolvers around here for well under $1,000.

Okie John

I'd sure love to have my Ken Eversull bull gun back. Sold it to another trooper when I quite shooting on the LSP team. Not sure, but don't think he's doing PPC guns now.

PPC guns are so specialized, but there is something about a handgun that can hold in the X at 50 yards.

Ken

Steve, Al Greco did my 3 inch Model 10. I think he might still be doing revolver work. http://www.alscustom.com/revolvers.php

Also, Gunbroker.com has a few. Do a search for PPC.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'd sure love to have my Ken Eversull bull gun back. Sold it to another trooper when I quite shooting on the LSP team. Not sure, but don't think he's doing PPC guns now.

Ken
    No, he got into doing five and six figure live pidgeon shotguns. He hasn't done any pistol work in many years.

I feel the same way about my old Davis Grade Three that Kerry Freeman built. Don't know what I would DO with it nowadays, but I'd like to have it back for nostalgia purposes.

I've been out of that game for a long time… probably all the great mechanics I knew are either dead or retired.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'd probably look at Alan Tanaka if I was going to do a new build, but there are a number of old guns for sale out there in the used gun market. I've seen most of the big names represented over the years and I even ran across a Ron Power Grand Master a few months ago ... one of the last he ever built. They're out there, you just got to keep an eye out for them.
    Also, this is what I'd do.^

Outside of a few big names, PPC guns can usually be had pretty reasonably on the used market, especially relative to the cost that went into building them.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List