Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I learned a lot at Cabela's today.

As soon as I can think of an inappropriately snarky and know-it-all-sounding answer to this, I'll let you know.
    Guess I'm a simple sort of guy, I was thinking "mirror, mirror, on the wall"..........

I was at Cabelas in Wheeling one day. While walking through the diorama of the lions eating a zebra, I over heard a little kid say; Oh look Mom, the zebra is taking a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I was at Cabelas in Wheeling one day. While walking through the diorama of the lions eating a zebra, I over heard a little kid say; Oh look Mom, the zebra is taking a nap.
    They have a diorama of lions eating a zebra? I might have to take a trip to one of the larger ones. Mostly though, I'd like to know how the meeting went that decided on a lions eating zebra theme, and what ideas they threw out.

I've got to say, the Cabelas in Idaho are generally pretty fun. Sure, you've got to be the one informing your own purchases, but the "gun libraries" always seem to have interesting stuff. The last time I was in the one closest to me, they had a flatgate single-six, a couple of 6906s in clean condition for 350-ish, and 4 Sabatti doubles, all the way up to .470 N.E. Still didn't really have kitten for ammo in stock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    They have a diorama of lions eating a zebra? I might have to take a trip to one of the larger ones. Mostly though, I'd like to know how the meeting went that decided on a lions eating zebra theme, and what ideas they threw out.
    They have a big room with a bunch of African animals, a big room with a bunch of whitetail deer, a snowy mountain covered with bear, sheep, goats etc and a big fish tank. You could spend hours just looking at displays. The meeting might have been fun to attend.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ...but the "gun libraries" always seem to have interesting stuff.
    First one I ever set foot in was down in Fort Worth. I walked into the gun library and nearly lost continence. I practically had to be physically dragged out.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

At the store in Colorado, I was impressed with how they'd tried to eliminate the excuses you might have for not spending hours in the store. Got a dog in the car? Put him in one of our air-conditioned kennels at no charge. Got a horse in a trailer? Put it in one of our stalls.

Having fishermen bring in their live trophy fish for the aquarium is also brilliant. You just know those guys are going to drag all their buddies into the store to see "their" fish.

Site Supporter
    We had a birthday party for my youngest at Cabela's in FTW. We'd hang out there on Saturday mornings after "biker breakfast" and shoot at the quarter arcade upstairs. Turns out they had a great format for a kids party.... They do a scavenger hunt through the store... It's beautiful chaos there on a crowded Saturday morning stuffed with customers while a bunch of 8,9,10 year olds rampage through the store. But the highlight of the day was feeding time for the fish tanks. We all gathered round while they tossed in handfuls of live fish and watched as the bigger fish chased them down and gobbled them up. The kids Ooooo'd and Ahhhhhh'd. Even as a fisherman, it's not something you get to see from that angle very often.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I've never been to Cabela's. Fortunately, we have one coming to our town in 2014 (within a 1/2 mile of the new PSA here).
    Seriously thinking about applying to supplement my MGIB income and get some discount action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do love Cabela's. There's a nice little blued 3 inch S&W model 36 38 special in the gun library in the Allen, TX store. Couple of little specks near the grips. Otherwise looks pretty clean. Barrel is pinned but it doesn't look like it has recessed cylinders.

$499 and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. If anyone wants to give it a good home hurry up before I change my mind.

User Tag List