Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1323

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just make sure you're in the bunk the furthest from the door and you'll be fine.
    Are you kidding? Who wants to listen to all that screaming while waiting your turn as the last course?😁

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    LOL! I'm going to sleep with my 1301
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'll come up with some excuse for @JCL to take the lower front bunk
    <somewhere in Alaska...>

no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Bring a bag of ghost peppers or Carolina Reapers, sprinkle them in a circle around your bed. Might not work for an AZ bear though.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    <somewhere in Alaska...>

I had forgotten that scene.

Ive slept out under the stars or in a tent a couple thousand nights or so in both Az and in the Rockies in grizzly country, most nights the rifle slept with me, mostly just under the edge of the blankets or sleeping bag, a' la Kit Carson, some nights against me with the stock between my knees. Lever guns are much more comfortable to sleep with than most other types, sleek and flat for the most part. ARs are pretty rough, lots of parts sticking out, sharp edges and points, very uncomfortable, bolt guns are lumpy and chunky at best.

Sleeping in bear country is the one real use I have for a pistol lanyard. Left handy next to the bed, one can slip the loop over the head and one shoulder, step out into the glories night to take care of business, and now have to be dressed or otherwise encumbered. The little hole in the backstrap of glocks is the attachment point for them, and the one thing I use the little plastic gun for when in the hills.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-27-2024 at 09:58 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hey guys, maybe ease up on the bear stories a few days, as CF is headed to Alaska and we don't want him having trouble sleeping.
    @Clusterfrack, I hear bears really enjoy tourists; . . . they're tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4h4redJHhs
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    @Clusterfrack, I hear bears really enjoy tourists; . . . they're tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4h4redJHhs
    LOL! Good thing Alec Baldwin was there. He would try to shoot at the bear, but hit his friend. Problem solved.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

No rush with this, I'm just curious.

I can see that he did a lot of things that look like guilty behavior, remove the collar, cut the tattoo, etc.

Is this a case of "he just shot the bear while it was peacefully sniffing buttercups in the meadow and was just a stupid Montana redneck", or was defending himself and his wife...and was just a stupid Montana redneck?

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post

Is this a case of "he just shot the bear while it was peacefully sniffing buttercups in the meadow and was just a stupid Montana redneck", or was defending himself and his wife...and was just a stupid Montana redneck?

Gringop
    Yes.

Kidding aside, if you shoot a bear, especially a griz in a DLP situation, you best be prepared to do some explaining.

User Tag List