Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Single action revolver discusson and general shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It appears that link is dead. Is this the same article? Gun Notes: A Common Sense Look at Handgun Hunting by John Linebaugh
    Thanks for that link, Im not sure Ive seen all of it yet.

I have a couple copies of the print magazine John put out in the late 80s or early 90s. Ive seen them recently, but not positive exactly where they are, if I can lay hands on them Ill see if i can get anything not in the link put up here.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    It appears that link is dead. Is this the same article? Gun Notes: A Common Sense Look at Handgun Hunting by John Linebaugh
    That appears to contain several of Mr. Linebaugh’s articles, including the one that I quoted. Nice find.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    They are AWESOME guns!

One thing I did with mine on the .45 ACP cylinder. The 200 grain LSWC load I traditionally use in my autos has the band of the bullet stick above the rim of the case. It would not fully seat in the cylinder, so I had the cylinder reamed and uniformed the chambers at the same time.

Great little gun for Jackrabbit safaris in the dead of winter.

You can save some weight by swapping the stainless grip frame for an aluminum one. The grips on my were made by Shane at Lone Star Custom Grips. I don't know if he has a website but I know he hangs out (or used to) on the single action sixguns forum. It has been quite a while since I have been over there. Just a bit busy lately.

The gun with the .45 Colt LOVES 270 grain Keith wide meplat SWCs at 900 FPS, which can pretty well handle everything one is likely to run across. It is without question, my favorite single action sixgun.
    I noticed your cylinder pin is a little different from standard. What is that and where did you get it (if it didn't come with it)?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I noticed your cylinder pin is a little different from standard. What is that and where did you get it (if it didn't come with it)?
    I think that's one of the Keith #5 style aftermarket jobs? Maybe a Belt Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    That is a Belt Mountain base pin.

They are supposed to be a little tighter than the factory base pins. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. However the primary feature (asides from aesthetics) is that they have a locking feature, which is a set screw. This prevents your base pin from walking out during recoil. In the case of this gun, it was a necessity, as from the factory it was walking out somewhat often. The pin cured that.

Unfortunately Belt Mountain is going out of business, owner is retiring and no one has shown any interest in buying/taking over the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    Unfortunately Belt Mountain is going out of business, owner is retiring and no one has shown any interest in buying/taking over the business.
    Maybe that's something @Lost River can handle in his copious spare time...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    It sticks in my head that in the late days of target shooting with revolvers before the autos took over, that the standard gun was a double action design, preferably with a "target hammer" available from the factory or shops like King's.
    Not many SAAs, Bisleys, or NM #3s "designed to do that" left on the line.
    IIRC, the lock work on a short-throw hammer DA S&W makes for a shorter SA lock time than is usually had on a traditional SA revolver.

OTOH, the Bisley was an SA designed for bullseye target competition.

And Colt quit making the Bisley in 1915 with less than a thousand target sight versions.

Kings would do a short action conversion on SAA and probably a cockeyed hammer if you wanted to stay on the solid frame single action type.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List