Page 258 of 259 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259 LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 2582

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Sounds like you are all over the common stuff.

Have you checked deflection on the gun? If it is dropping last round, the extractor is losing the round at some point after it leaves the chamber. How does the gun perform with no magazines in the gun?

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
    Ejection is erratic with or without the magazine.

I have not checked the deflection with the EGW extractor, just tension. Would it be logical for both extractors to have deflection issue? The steel in the factory one is much softer than the EGW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethang View Post
    Ejection is erratic with or without the magazine.

I have not checked the deflection with the EGW extractor, just tension. Would it be logical for both extractors to have deflection issue? The steel in the factory one is much softer than the EGW.
    Deflection is a function of extractor setup. Go here: https://www.1911forum.com/threads/th...53443/#replies
    Should be a good starting point. StevefromAllentown is the man to pay attention to on extractors. He has a pinned thread in those forums for it.

Deflection is the measure of the change in the extractor with and without a case in place. How much it moves when a case is placed under its control.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Forgive me for not knowing this.

I have been driving .45 acp for a while and dont recall 5" 9mm Govt recoil spring rates in relation to ammo velocity.

I have a SACS built 5" and a buddy heavy in competition on the west coast said for the best accuracy... shoot for ammo loads around 1100 FPS. that is out to 50 yards. I am shooting out only to 25 yds.

I am shooting 147 TMJ (Speer) which is just under 1000 FPS.

I need to change my recoil spring and I dont recall what I was running.

I dont have time to test, so I want to get close.

Wolff said 14lbs for factory ammo but wondering if a 11 or 12 would be better for under 1000 fps loads for accuracy competition.

thanks in advance
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

In my DW Guardian, it's a 13#.that's commander sized.
    Zero issues with 147s.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

For 9x19 in a five-inch 1911, my pistols run spring rates from 10# to 12#. Depends on the pistol as I choose the spring based on how far it ejects the fired case. My SA 9x19 pistols all have 12# springs, but my STI 9x19 run 10# for the same loads.

Site Supporter
    For a 5" 9mm shooting 124gr ammo I like a 11-12# recoil spring.

thanks guys

I will order me some 11 and 12s.

The following is a little niche for it's own thread, so here it is:

I started replacing parts on my MAC 9 DS because I want to get a really nice 2011 on a budget. Enter: Harrison Custom parts. These parts are nice. Thus far I've fit and replaced a firing pin stop, hammer, sear and extractor. These parts are significantly nicer than the factory parts and a bit nicer than parts I've used from WC and EGW. Each part requires a little bit more fitting in several dimensions, which gives them the potential for a really nice end product.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Forgive me for not knowing this.

I have been driving .45 acp for a while and dont recall 5" 9mm Govt recoil spring rates in relation to ammo velocity.

I have a SACS built 5" and a buddy heavy in competition on the west coast said for the best accuracy... shoot for ammo loads around 1100 FPS. that is out to 50 yards. I am shooting out only to 25 yds.

I am shooting 147 TMJ (Speer) which is just under 1000 FPS.

I need to change my recoil spring and I dont recall what I was running.

I dont have time to test, so I want to get close.

Wolff said 14lbs for factory ammo but wondering if a 11 or 12 would be better for under 1000 fps loads for accuracy competition.

thanks in advance
    In his “Two World Wars” podcast, Joe Chambers recommends a 20 lb mainspring and 13 lb recoil spring for 5in 9mm 1911s. He touts that combo as the best compromise of reliability and not causing the slide to dip upon rtb. Im sure he’d agree it’s a starting point and certain guns go up or down from there.

lll add he’s not been wrong with respect to my Government DW.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    In his “Two World Wars” podcast, Joe Chambers recommends a 20 lb mainspring and 13 lb recoil spring for 5in 9mm 1911s. He touts that combo as the best compromise of reliability and not causing the slide to dip upon rtb. Im sure he’d agree it’s a starting point and certain guns go up or down from there.

lll add he’s not been wrong with respect to my Government DW.
    sweet. I will test this combo post shooting season.

User Tag List