Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK now available in .32 / 7.65

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I'd buy one for nostalgic purposes. That said, the P230 in .32 is the pinnacle of 7.65 PPK design.
    Sigh. Agree on the P230 in .32. I had one. Lanyard. Manual safety. Broke—sold it. I’m sure it’s worth a fortune now.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I suffered my way through using a .380 PPK for a good bit. I recently got to shoot a .32, and that being a full size PP no less, and it’s only mildly better in my hands. It’s still extremely unpleasant compared to the similarly sized Colt 1903 I shot side by side with it. The only thing it had on the Colt was the better sights (Manhurin and many post war Walthers have pretty good sights, vintage wartime and pre-war Walthers less so).

I did find my .380 to be quite reliable but I know that’s not true of all of them. My recollection is the Interarms branded ones are better than the S&W production models. In fact I think everything produced by Smith for or by permission of Walther has a less than stellar reputation.

It’s a shame because if it didn’t hurt to shoot I’d find a .32 Walther to be a lot of fun. They are very accurate, handy, and have good single action triggers for what they are.
    That’s interesting. I briefly owned a PP in .32. I remember it feeling softer than similar .380s… but not vastly different. That was like 10 years ago, though. Hardly “reliable data.”

I more recently owned a 1974 PPK/S in .380. Yeah, it would break the skin within a box. DA trigger was also like 8000 pounds. But, like you said, the thing was a tack driver in SA. I shot the PPK better than the .380 P230 I owned at the same time.

So… I might be willing to give the PPK another go, for even a slight improvement in shooting comfort. And I think the modern DA triggers are a lot more reasonable; I dry fired a current-production example. Seemed decent. And I’d looove to try a 1903 sometime. A local shop had one for sale about a year ago. Shoulda grabbed it.

Putting it in perspective, it is a 95 year old design. Yes, far from optimal in comparison to more modern offerings of course. However, personally, I think it's kind of impressive that they're still technically a viable option nearly 100 years later.

When I think of other compact pistols of that era, there aren't many others that come to mind as a viable carry option I could make work if I really had to for some strange reason. That said, as someone with larger hands, I certainly don't look forward to shooting them much and look at them as almost a one-hand-only pistol.

For all of the Bond mystique these guns have garnered, I think they are a bit of a let down to most when actually experiencing them. I'd say the P230/232 are far closer to living up to that mystique in both function and aesthetics. While I love those SIGs for what they are, they still don't live up to the hype in current times, though I'd trust them far more.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Obligatory pic of my P230, currently sitting in consignment.

Name:  20230120_174006.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  56.0 KB
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Site Supporter
    Putting it in perspective, it is a 95 year old design. Yes, far from optimal in comparison to more modern offerings of course. However, personally, I think it's kind of impressive that they're still technically a viable option nearly 100 years later.

When I think of other compact pistols of that era, there aren't many others that come to mind as a viable carry option I could make work if I really had to for some strange reason. That said, as someone with larger hands, I certainly don't look forward to shooting them much and look at them as almost a one-hand-only pistol.

For all of the Bond mystique these guns have garnered, I think they are a bit of a let down to most when actually experiencing them. I'd say the P230/232 are far closer to living up to that mystique in both function and aesthetics. While I love those SIGs for what they are, they still don't live up to the hype in current times, though I'd trust them far more.
    I was thinking about the PPK's merits from a practical standpoint...

I think it's safe to say the pistol is still in production for cultural reasons--not practical ones.

Nevertheless...

That has left us with a viable(?) DA/SA carry gun the size of a P365. And probably a little more svelte in the slide. In a world where 3914s, P239s, CS9s, XDE's, P230s and Makarovs aren't made anymore... it's the last compact DA/SA single-stack standing.

Thanks, James.

My first pistol was actually a P230SL. I feel like I shot it pretty well for someone who had fired no more than 300 rounds of ammunition in my entire life prior to owning it. I also had an alloy-framed P230 in .380 and the one in .32. They're nice pistols--I love the lines. And like all fixed-barrel pistols I've shot... they just seem accurate. I'm sure I'll have one again at some point.

Still, my EG Mak is my favorite blowback. And the Beretta Cheetah is a close second.

Name:  66511A5F-DBE5-4C6D-A42C-F551788D7224.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  60.6 KB

Site Supporter

Reading this, I wanted to yell “…Two World Wars!!” I guess for opposing reasons it’s yelled about the 1911 though!!

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Reading this, I wanted to yell “…Two World Wars!!” I guess for opposing reasons it’s yelled about the 1911 though!!
    Of course! BHP as well. In terms of actual compacts, though, can't think of too many from that era (let's say '20s and '30s) that still have some degree of factory or aftermarket support, parts availability, reliable and robust mags, holsters, etc. enough to support wear/tear/training in any appreciable way.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I’m sure I posted it in another PPK thread, but the PPK BB gun scratches like 87% of my itch to own one after selling my S&W/Walther .380. It’s like nicotine gum for PPKs. However… maybe I’d just Look at a new one in .32, maybe test fire one? Anyone got a link to a great deal on one? Just for research purposes?

ETA: MSRP of $969 is a compelling disincentive.
    Last edited by TDA; 05-10-2024 at 10:28 PM.

Does anyone know a gunsmith known for making these reliable? Considering one in black if can be found at reasonable price. Had a .380 issued to me once upon a time and it was horrible. Won’t paint them all with that brush, but it makes me cautious.

My immediate thought when I read the title was that an original PPS in .32 would be very cool.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List