Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are all 9mm Glocks the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Reliability concerns are largely based on reports here from people who work in the .gov and their experiences with them on a macro level.

Yes it is idiotic to use aftermarket mags with a Glock other than for practice
    Genuinely curious, do you have such reports that can be shared? I have am .gov user as well and can receive emails through official channels of that is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    Genuinely curious, do you have such reports that can be shared? I have am .gov user as well and can receive emails through official channels of that is an issue.
    Pretty much every Glock thread

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    . . .while not adding any length to the back of the frame, which is where you’re actually going to print.
    +1. I used to have a G27, as a backup/off duty gun, and used the Glock OEM +1 extension. Like you it gave space in the front for my pinky, while preventing printing due to the shorter length in back. I have always liked it to the "bobtail' version of 1911s.

I have had several flavors of slimline glock and although they do have a much stronger recoil impulse than the double stack models, I have had no reliability issues whatsoever.

The unfortunate fact with these guns is that the reliability concerns seem largely tied in with use of the 15 round aftermarket shield and mags. I find that 90% of users feel that they are necessary for use with this gun but the shield mags and mag catch are the major contributor to the perceived reliability problems. I have exclusively used the factory 10 rounders and I don't think I have ever had a problem with the gun.
    We allow G43X for backup/off duty. Very soon we had issues with people using Shield mags with the OEM mag releases After that cropped up, we required anyone using Shield mags to also use the Shield mag release, and not use OEM mags. Then the problem was a handful of people would still use a mix of both types of mags, and we still had issues. As a result policy changed to only allow OEM mags, and mag releases.

Shield even points out you need to stick with metal on metal, or plastic on plastic, or you can get problems from the metal chewing up the plastic.

after you shoot the 43x 48 the 19 and G45 feels like a brick, if I had to pick one it would be the sig 365 tac ops 17 rds with factory magazines, shield after market ones are ok but you have to change the release the 43x and 48 are ten rounds. if you want to go one up from that look at the 365 legion it's pricey but nothing in my opinion comes close. I own all of them Glocks and sigs and now my Glocks just sit and collect dust. I'm not a Glock hater just want to give my 2 cents of what works for me. lots of YouTube videos on the 365 legion and they are all positive. that being said if you have to have a Glock I would go g45 and a very close second the 48. with the 48 I would go shield mags but you have to change the release its easy to do and another thing would be the extended mag release the factory one is just to small. agent night sites would be the only other thing I would do. with the 365 legion or tac ops it's all included plug and play if you will.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    Im looking at my first Glock, and Im torn on which one to get. From a reliability standpoint, Is the Glock 48, 43 etc just as reliable as the Glock 19?
    No, the slim Glocks (G43/43X/48) are not as reliable the service sized Glocks (26/19/17/34/45/47/49).

The slim Glocks all use the G43 recoil spring assembly (RSA) which results in a more limited operating window in terms of the “timing” of the cycle of operation.

The slim Glocks are noticeably more sensitive to variation in:

- Grip (more unforgiving of bad / weak grip)
    - Ammunition (generally does better with standard velocity vs +P)
    - changes in weight I.e. adding lights /lasers or optics

All of this is using standard factory 6 to 10 round magazines.

Then there is the debate about factory standard capacity magazines vs aftermarket magazines from Shield Arms and PSA. There are a few people report Hi Ron counts through these magazines without issues. However, in my experience, they are the minority. What we tend to see a lot of is either people who put “50 flawless rounds” Through them and call them good, or people who actually shoot. Among those who actually shoot some will have issues right away others will get a few hundred or up to about 2000 rounds through these magazines only to have them stop working. In fairness to shield arms they are now on their 3rd generation of slim Glock magazines.

Re: Agency issues.

The FBI tested the G43 and 43X multiple times (6?) each time returning the guns for improvement. While did make some real improvements to the guns, they still had to reduce their testing protocol from 10,000 rounds to 6000 rounds in order to get the guns to pass. They also only authorize the guns to be used with specific ammunition, standard capacity, factory magazines, and unlike the service size Glocks, optics, lights, etc., are not permitted. The guns have to acquired via the Bureau purchase program / after a certain serial number to ensure they contain all the latest improvements.

As @WobblyPossum as mentioned, our agency initially approved the G43 as a personally owned weapon (POW) under somewhat mysterious circumstances. My experience was they did not like our issued +P duty ammunition (124 grain +P Gold Dot) and were very unforgiving of anything less than a perfect grip. As such when people ran them under time pressure from the holster, such as in qualifications, we saw lots of malfunctions.

When the G43X and G48 were released they were tested as POW options. The G43 was used as a baseline in the testing. The end result was the 43X & 48 were not approved and the approval for the G43 was rescinded.

There were some real improvements that came out of the FBI testing such as the breech face cut to improve extraction and ejection and improved mags and followers. If I had to run a slim Glock, I would want the latest generation with the breech face cut and the latest generation magazines and followers. I would also want to vet my carry ammo carefully and stick with something the guns runs reliably. I definitely would not expect a slim Glock to “eat everything” the way service size Glocks do. I would also make sure I am testing the gun drawing from my actual carry holster under time pressure not just shooting the gun with my ideal grip.

Mike Pannone (CTT) solutions just posted his experiences shooting slim guns, including several slim Glocks and clones. Even though he is a master class shooter whose grip is on point, it’s worth noting he has built up the grip size of these guns with Hockey tape to get a better grip and he considers compensators mandatory on these guns.

Site Supporter
    Depends on the NDAs involved.

The stuff the Bureau can share is usually available either from their ballistic research facility via CD with a letterhead request signed by a supervisor. Or if you have an LEAP account you may be able to access it via Justice Exchange within LEAP.

User Tag List