Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1, 1.5, or even Tier 2 tools thread

Name:  IMG_1838.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  86.2 KB

Wyeth-Scott Power Puller. Made in Newark, OH since the 1930s. It’s a very heavy duty come-along, rated I think to pull 12,000 pounds. I’ve only used it so far on a minor tree job in my yard, and it was definitely overkill for that. It’s in the truck vault with assorted straps and chains just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Name:  IMG_1838.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  86.2 KB

Wyeth-Scott Power Puller. Made in Newark, OH since the 1930s. It’s a very heavy duty come-along, rated I think to pull 12,000 pounds. I’ve only used it so far on a minor tree job in my yard, and it was definitely overkill for that. It’s in the truck vault with assorted straps and chains just in case.
    Very nice! I can't justify the cost, but those things seem legit!
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

$80 on sale, Kraftform Kompakt 27 RA Slotted Ratcheting Screwdriver + 39-Piece Bit Set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7VV7K5H...7b084cc5f50INT

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    $80 on sale, Kraftform Kompakt 27 RA Slotted Ratcheting Screwdriver + 39-Piece Bit Set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7VV7K5H...7b084cc5f50INT
    Oh man that’s tempting!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    IN an effort to get “caught up” and riffing off of the various watch threads, I offer the following:

Dec: Watch Link Changing block
    Jan: Made in India Watch case holder from eBay
    Feb: Made in India Jewelers 2 oz hammer
    Mar: Craft mat
    Apr. Vintage Jaxa Swiss made watch case removal tool
    May Rodico Jewelers cleaning gum (Swiss made by Bergeron)
    June: Misc Hakko brand made in USA Tweezers.

Commentary re tools cost per use etc in a separate thread.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

These look really nice!*

*Skip ahead to the two minute mark to see the tools.

Like most of these tooltubers (and guntubers, now that I think about it) he spends way too long yapping before getting to the tools.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Klein has been killing it lately!

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would love to see a Tool Check Plus+ with both imperial and metric.

I'd almost buy two and merge them to have something to keep in the RV, as some fasteners are in each system, and it's nice to have exactly what I need.

Someone posted a list of all the fastener types & sizes for my van to our FB group, and I stocked up accordingly. It was a life-saver when my awning deployed itself going over a bridge in Newport and then (mostly) detached itself after making contact with a road sign. I had to remove the remaining armature on the side of the road. Having EXACTLY the right size ratchet and the wrench was oddly relieving and satisfying at the same time.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-I...1703/311241223

For keeping imperial and metric sockets on me all day at work, I have become very fond of these Makita rubber socket rail sets from Home Depot. They are incredibly space efficient, impact rated, priced well, and easy to replace. They make them in 1/4" and 3/8". I keep the 1/4" sets on me all day, and combined with a M12 Surge oil pulse driver, they really get used a lot. They also play very nicely with the Klein impact rated 11 in 1 driver. I also carry a small Malco 1/4-5/16" flip socket and 2 Milwaukee 1/4" impact extensions. These tools all work together as if they were made for each other. I'll post a picture later.

Between the Makita Sockets, M12 Surge, Klein impact 11in1, I find myself reaching for the Tool Check Plus much less often. I use the Harbor Freight Icon 1/4" ratcheting bit set more often, as it is more space efficient for me because it fits in a specific pocket on my Veto bag. The Icon has a nice little magnetic extension that gets into tight areas that the Tool Check struggles with.

For reference, lately I've been servicing large Munters air handlers, Lennox rooftop heating/cooling units, supermarket style rack refrigeration systems, and the PLC based energy management datacom systems that control them. I carry this stuff all around large commercial facilities, and it's about the most useful, space/weight efficient, and most importantly, modular setup I've found yet. Impact rating is important to me, as it all works together as a system.

Klein Impact 11 in 1 https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-3...df_B0C9V6NYZ4/

M12 Surge https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2551-20

Malco flip socket nut driver https://www.homedepot.com/p/Malco-1-...MSHC/305320990

Today I learned about the benefits of having a quieter impact a la Milwaukee M12 Surge. I've got a base model M12 Impact Driver that I have used and abused extensively over the last four years. It has amazing power and battery life while being fairly compact and lightweight. I've been pleasantly surprised with how much hassle and headache this thing saves me.

Earlier today I was up on a ladder rehabbing the gutters on the new-to-me house. Someone hung the gutter so low in relation to the edge of the roof that the water mostly skips right over the top of the gutters - no bueno. Long story, short, I was on the ladder holding/pressing up on the bottom of the gutter while driving the gutter bracket screws into the facia board. Basically, the impact was just a couple inches from my ear. Wow,... that kinda sucked. I've also noticed how loud this thing is when using it in confined spaces like under the kitchen sink. Yeah, ear plugs would be a good workaround, but this morning I was racing the rain and just didn't go get them.

So, the M12 series of drivers has a lot to recommend them (in fact, I'm a pretty big fan of the M12 stuff despite wanting to love the M18 series). I do note that the Surge only boasts 450 in. lbs. of torque as compared to the 1,000 in. lbs. of mine - which is why I chose it in the first place. And that extra torque has certainly been put to use; but most jobs don't require that much torque. As per usual on PF the right answer is, "get both". Once I grab a Surge, that will likely be the go-to unless it will be sustained, heavy use like driving a bunch of long deck screws.

Note: I just looked up the specs on the M18 Surge Impact Driver. The Milwaukee website is showing the same 450 in. lbs. of torque for the M18 as for the M12. Weird. I was expecting that an M12 and M18 Surge pair would cover everything, power-wise.

User Tag List