Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Life writer hunting debacle

Pushing an animal isn't something I've ever heard of as a good idea. In archery hunting it's a great way to create a rodeo. Then again, I'm not shooting animals in the leg at 700 or whatever.

Some of yall saying longer range shooting isn't hunting should go hunt pronghorn in rolling terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @Lost River @MickAK @GJM @okie john or any other hunters I forgot to name…

Is pushing a wounded deer so it keeps bleeding an out-west thing? Here in the Deep South where sight lines can be pretty shitty I’ve been taught by others and learned from personal experience that it’s a great way to loose an animal.
    Only makes sense when you are a 'tard trying to steal someone else's animal.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Is pushing a wounded deer so it keeps bleeding an out-west thing? Here in the Deep South where sight lines can be pretty shitty I’ve been taught by others and learned from personal experience that it’s a great way to loose an animal.
    Very early on I was taught by my dad (who was a truly exceptional hunter and outdoorsman with than 50 elk and who knows how many Mule Deer to his credit) that if you get a good hit on an animal and it runs out of sight, you sit down and wait at least 10 minutes. He actually told me the "snickers bar" rule when I was a pre teen, since I never wore a watch. He said, take a break, pinpoint where you shot the animal. Sit and eat a Snickers bar and drink some water. Then go to where you shot the animal and look for blood and start your track.

The animals usually just made a quick dash, and since they were not being pursued, they laid down and expired. To this day, I use the same method, and it has worked fine in 40+ years of big game hunting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post
    Pushing an animal isn't something I've ever heard of as a good idea. In archery hunting it's a great way to create a rodeo. Then again, I'm not shooting animals in the leg at 700 or whatever.

Some of yall saying longer range shooting isn't hunting should go hunt pronghorn in rolling terrain.
    The fact that it’s difficult to get close to pronghorns in rolling terrain has no bearing on the fact that the overwhelming majority of people cannot make an ethical hunting shot at longer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The fact that it’s difficult to get close to pronghorns in rolling terrain has no bearing on the fact that the overwhelming majority of people cannot make an ethical hunting shot at longer ranges.
    ....agreed. Never said anything different.

Yep, they have very good eyesight. 500 is about as close as I've ever seen them before they disappear, unless they're in a preserve. Wind can also be a factor at those ranges in the places where you might find one. But I've never known anyone that said they were good to eat. Probably why there are so many of them.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

It can be. Like a lot of things techniques developed by really skilled people can be overheard and applied by much less skilled people. I have heard people discussing doing just that which I found surprising, but they were very skilled guides and hunters and not people just blathering. I think the important thing is not whether to wait or track/hunt but the totality of circumstances and minute details that I will never learn due to lack of interest. I just wouldn't take the shot. Guides don't always have that luxury. I don't think someone taking into account all the minute details that would lead them to make the decision to push and try to get another shot would miss that the animal was collared.

Sloppy hunting by a bunch of assholes.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Yep, they have very good eyesight. 500 is about as close as I've ever seen them before they disappear, unless they're in a preserve. Wind can also be a factor at those ranges in the places where you might find one. But I've never known anyone that said they were good to eat. Probably why there are so many of them.
    I've quite enjoyed the ones I've had. I'm also shooting them in areas with less sage and more grass and ag croplands, and it's a December season so heat isn't usually an issue.

Wind is definitely a problem, last time I went out we drove down in 50+mph winds and passed to semis blown over on the highway. We lucked out and our stalk ended with a mostly head on wind that switched to right to left closer to the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Sloppy hunting by a bunch of assholes.
    Yep. Big deer will often exacerbate the issue. I don't know which version of events is true, but I'm not terribly impressed with either party.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've quite enjoyed the ones I've had. I'm also shooting them in areas with less sage and more grass and ag croplands, and it's a December season so heat isn't usually an issue.

Wind is definitely a problem, last time I went out we drove down in 50+mph winds and passed to semis blown over on the highway. We lucked out and our stalk ended with a mostly head on wind that switched to right to left closer to the animal.

Yep. Big deer will often exacerbate the issue. I don't know which version of events is true, but I'm not terribly impressed with either party.
    You just have to learn to be sneaky.

Actually getting down on your hands and knees, as well as on your belly and being patient on a stalk, can allow you to get very, very close to Pronghorn. It can be fun exercise too. I used to sneak up all manner of critters when I was younger, just for the sport of it.

User Tag List