Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City councilwoman arrested for bringing gun to counter pro-Palestinian rally

Site Supporter
    Does it matter if she's carrying legally, or you just chose to ignore the below quoted post for whatever propaganda value you think it might have on the folks here almost unanimously calling BS on the majority of what you've posted in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by High Cross View Post
    Former NYC Council Employee and former NYC GOP staffer here. She is a Ukranian Jewish woman in terms of heritage and religion. She represents a prediomantly Jewish section of Brooklyn. This heated Palestinian Protest was at the City University of NY, a public college. She went to observe to make sure Jewish students (many of whom she represents) were being kept safe, a standard practice of political representatives (Congressional fact finding missions anyone?). She has a NYC unrestricted pistol permit and carried due to very real safety concerns and became uncovered. I really hope this is the case to roll back some of these sensitive areas.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Does it matter if she's carrying legally, or you just chose to ignore the below quoted post for whatever propaganda value you think it might have on the folks here almost unanimously calling BS on the majority of what you've posted in this thread?
    Down boy.

Ed L was having difficulty posting the picture from his article so I posted the tweet from which the picture came. I made no commentary and don't claim the tweet as my own.

Site Supporter
    As with all things, it's complex. She was remiss in not concealing better in a NPE. She chose, it seems, to deliberately ignore the law. The law, in theory to RKBA believers is unconstitutional. However, Scotus does mention sensitive locales being legit.

Did she deliberately want to be a Bruen test case - doesn't seem so. Even if not, should she plead not guilty to fight on a constitutional basis? Should her lawyers bring it up, like Hunter's are - to make it a bargaining chip in a deal. Probably get yelled at and lose her permit. I can't see her going down for the felony.

If she wants to fight, she should be a cause celebre against the CCIA and broad sensitive locales in general. The schools, libraries, parks, etc. seem to be accept with a WHY OF COURSE - it's for the children. The gun rights organizations should get her back for legal support and funding. While a side issue, they dropped the ball on Philando Castile, IMHO opinion as they didn't want to critique police in general and sorry to say, his race.

I note that the fight should be over those with permits, IMHO. That might offend some folks, so be it.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Thought it was at Brooklyn College. CUNY is composed of lots of places - including Brooklyn College. Sad to see what happened to that school over the years.

She should fight on 2nd Amendment grounds and make the case to Hochul AND Scoutus, that their overly broad sensitive places are antithetical to our basic rights. Let's see Hochul denounce her - see how that works. Of course, some of the NYC and state Democratic leaders will call her a nut and we don't need to protect ourselves.

Better case for Scotus than Hunter, domestic abusers and drug users.
    Brooklyn College is a CUNY University. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_College
    You are probably confusing CUNY with a specific CUNY location called CCNY, City College of New York. I attended a CUNY university. Specifically John Jay College of Criminal Justice for grad school.

As a practical matter, how do they plan to get past the “prove beyond a reasonable doubt that isn’t a BB gun” defense?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    As a practical matter, how do they plan to get past the “prove beyond a reasonable doubt that isn’t a BB gun” defense?
    They have the actual gun. It was seized pursuant to the arrest. Also, BB guns are banned in NYC.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    They have the actual gun. It was seized pursuant to the arrest. Also, BB guns are banned in NYC.
    That would be a very, very, very, very stupid defense. So stupid that I can't imagine anyone there actually trying it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Hmm. I didn’t see that. I assumed, based on the fact that she walked herself in with a lawyer to the police station and was charged, that she wasn’t arrested on scene and thus the police did not have the firearm. I further assumed that no competent attorney would advise her to admit she had a firearm while at that police station.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    That would be a very, very, very, very stupid defense. So stupid that I can't imagine anyone there actually trying it.
    People very, very, very unfamiliar with the criminal justice system may not realize that defense is used daily in cases where the evidence of gun possession is video/photographic alone, which is how this case appeared to be from the reports I’d read. It works because it’s the government’s burden to prove each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt, and “firearm” is going to be an element.

Hmm. I didn’t see that. I assumed, based on the fact that she walked herself in with a lawyer to the police station and was charged, that she wasn’t arrested on scene and thus the police did not have the firearm. I further assumed that no competent attorney would advise her to admit she had a firearm while at that police station.

People very, very, very unfamiliar with the criminal justice system may not realize that defense is used daily in cases where the evidence of gun possession is video/photographic alone, which is how this case appeared to be from the reports I’d read. It works because it’s the government’s burden to prove each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt, and “firearm” is going to be an element.
    Fair enough.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

The article in the OP said she turned herself in and turned in her handgun and CCW permit. I agree that’s probably a bad legal strategy.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List