Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ Shadow 2 Compact

Drop safety

I get the issue with not having a decocker.

But for me personally, the decocker lever gets in the way of my strong thumb on CZs.

I don’t mind lowering the hammer once and leaving the gun in a holster.

I’ve never had a hammer slip using thumb trapping on top on my competition gun.

The other thing about drop safety:

Back at the time when the RO in New York was killed by the dropped Shadow 2, people did some experiments with hammers and drop safety.

My overall takeaway from those experiments was that a factory stock Shadow 2 was drop safe with the same kind of inertia-spring-pin system that a Ruger LCP and other guns use.

It was the aftermarket gamer extended firing pin and lighter spring that made the Shadow not drop safe.

So practically speaking, I don’t find the lack of decocker or lack of firing pin safety to be a disqualifying condition for a civilian.

My only safety concern with this gun and the "average" concealed carrier who buys one after seeing it on Youtube or Instagram is if they want to carry it in the hammer-down condition but they don't use a foolproof technique for lowering the hammer. Anyone who has spent enough time around competitive shooting knows that, although rare, people have sent rounds into the berm unintentionally when lowering the hammer on their CZ. The consequences of that happening on the range are a little lower than that happening in your house.

But maybe everyone plans to carry this gun cocked and locked? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    ...the decocker lever gets in the way of my strong thumb on CZs.
    Another reason I prefer the P-07 to the CZ-75/P-01 for carry.

I don’t mind lowering the hammer once and leaving the gun in a holster.
    ...I’ve never had a hammer slip using thumb trapping on top on my competition gun.
    I haven't either. But, imagine a scenario where you need to holster SHO, or keep the pistol in hand while not engaging a threat. As a non-user of thumb safeties in my defensive handguns, I strongly prefer a decocker.

...a factory stock Shadow 2 was drop safe with the same kind of inertia-spring-pin system that a Ruger LCP and other guns use.
    ...So practically speaking, I don’t find the lack of decocker or lack of firing pin safety to be a disqualifying condition for a civilian.
    I agree this not a dealbreaker with this gun, but as with a decocker, I prefer a modern FP block because it's safer.

The problem is people choose trigger feel as their main reason to buy a gun. Which is bullshit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The problem is people choose trigger feel as their main reason to buy a gun. Which is bullshit.
    Well, to devil’s advocate it… lots of people buy cars because of image or brand… despite suboptimal crash test ratings that effectively put them and their families at elevated risk.

Probably more so than the risk they incur by carrying a Shadow 2 over a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Why are people ok with 1911s that are not drop safe, but a non drop safe CZ is not ok?
    I won't speak for others but I am not OK with 1911s unless they are series 80. We have somebody here whose 1911 went off went dropped in the line of duty and people have been killed with unmodified inertial pin guns. Anything that doesn't have a firing pin block is reserved to square ranges of gun games. Everything that I keep loaded 24/7 on me, or in my house around my loved ones has a firing pin safety.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I won't speak for others but I am not OK with 1911s unless they are series 80. We have somebody here whose 1911 went off went dropped in the line of duty and people have been killed with unmodified inertial pin guns. Anything that doesn't have a firing pin block is reserved to square ranges of gun games. Everything that I keep loaded 24/7 on me, or in my house around my loved ones has a firing pin safety.
    No loaded ARs?

Well, to devil’s advocate it… lots of people buy cars because of image or brand… despite suboptimal crash test ratings that effectively put them and their families at elevated risk.

Probably more so than the risk they incur by carrying a Shadow 2 over a revolver.
    No loaded ARs?
    Most people probably keep ars cruiser ready

No loaded ARs?
    Considering that dudes have roped from birds and done a bunch of random weird bangs and knocks with C1 ARs I’d say that’s an apples and oranges comparison. We used to notice some “pings” on primers after cross-country MRAP driving but that’s not a situation that 99% of users will experience. I’m a big fan of stowing long guns C4 or C3 for a variety of issues not related to the firing pin.

To the thread, I can’t manipulate buying choices but I would hope that informed users are assessing their warm and fuzzy meters before carrying such items around.

It’s also a hard spot because CZ can’t necessarily educate on the nuances without the internet masses clutching their pearls that a manufacturer admits a safety issue. /s
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

The other thing about drop safety:

Back at the time when the RO in New York was killed by the dropped Shadow 2, people did some experiments with hammers and drop safety.

My overall takeaway from those experiments was that a factory stock Shadow 2 was drop safe with the same kind of inertia-spring-pin system that a Ruger LCP and other guns use.

It was the aftermarket gamer extended firing pin and lighter spring that made the Shadow not drop safe.

So practically speaking, I don’t find the lack of decocker or lack of firing pin safety to be a disqualifying condition for a civilian.
    Factory stock shadow 2 is not drop safe. It just takes stronger impact to hit the hammer enough to fire. For example, if the gun falls from some higher level than the holster or while shooter is running. The hammer rests on the firing pin in the decocked position ( Unless it is on the half cocked position). 1911 cocked and locked is actually safer because the hammer doesn’t rest on the firing pin.

I’ve had a CZ P-01 on my wish list for a while. No real practical or competitive reason, just an inch I’ve wanted to scratch for a while but I’ve always known that it’d be a project gun that would need to be Cajunized to some extent + better sights/milled for an optic. This S2 Compact is appealing to me bc it won’t take much to make it better than stock (13 lb mainspring and TRS ought to do it) and comes optic ready.

The lack of rear sight once an optic is installed doesn’t bother me, the lack of FPB is not a deal breaker, and I’ve got no issues manually lowering the hammer in DA mode.

Color me intrigued.

User Tag List