Page 559 of 684 FirstFirst ... 59459509549557558559560561569609659 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,590 of 6837

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Site Supporter

Select slug drill with pro lifter

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I added a Pro lifter to my 1301 a while back and really like it. It has performed flawlessly at the range and I see no negatives with it.

I did observe something odd during dry firing with dummy rounds. Often, the dummy rounds wouldn’t eject when hand cycling. After carefully analyzing the problem, I think I figured out the problem.

If the trigger isn’t pulled on the round in the chamber, the gun’s mechanics won’t lower the carrier to load the next round. Since the carrier remains in the UP position, it slightly cradles the round as you hand cycle the bolt, causing the failure to eject.

The first time this happened to me, I thought that the ejector or extractor was bad, but they were fine. Once I pulled the trigger on each dummy round, every round ejected fine.
    My 1301T is still very new to me. With the pro lifter installed, is it possible to perform the select slug drill? By that I mean eject a buckshot round from the chamber and replace it with a slug. I hope this question makes sense.

Haven’t tried it yet, but in theory you could. I can think of several ways to do this…

1) make sure to rack the bolt with authority to insure the round in the chamber clears, draw back and hold the bolt open while loading the slug.

2) if there’s room in the mag tube, top it off with the slug, hit the shell release button, and rack the bolt. This should eject the round in the chamber and load the slug.

If anyone has another method, I’m all ears!

Site Supporter

Thanks

Thanks. I'm familiar with both methods. However, you mentioned that with the pro lifter installed, the round in the chamber would not eject unless the trigger is pressed. That's what prompted my question. Learning is underway.

It should eject if you rack it HARD! Next time you handle it, try it out… rack slowly and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Since the lifter stays in the UP position, the lips of the lifter slightly block the round from ejecting.

Now try again with some force and it SHOULD eject due to momentum. I’m still learning the quirks of the gun too! I’m always glad to share and learn!

The system requires you to either press the trigger to release a shell from the magazine (which makes the pro-lifter to drop down), or hit the shell release button at the rear of the shell lifter.

Site Supporter

Understood

Thanks all. I understand and have done some select slug drills with the standard lifter. I was unsure how the SOP is affected by a pro lifter.

FYI - Mr. Langdon demos a select slug drill at 1:55 of this video:

Just finished a 4-day private class; 2 days of handgun, 2 days of shotgun.

There were 9 of us in our group, 3 of us had 1301's, the rest had either Mossberg or Remington pumps of various flavors. My backup was my 590A1 with the factory ghost rings.

My 1301 Tactical is the 3rd Gen that has the 7 round mag tube from the factory, has an Aridus CROM with a Holosun 407C X2, installed the pro lifter and Magpul stock (Aridus adapter) with a Limbsaver recoil pad that I mounted using the Remington adapter made for the Magpul stock.

The shotgun ran flawlessly. I zeroed the shotgun in before class with Federal Power Shok rifled slugs (1,610 ft/sec) slugs at 50 yards. Ended up using Fiocchi Low Recoil rifled slugs for the class (around 1,300 ft/sec). Zeroed our shotguns on the morning of day 1 and was still hitting dead center at 35 and 50 yards from prone, kneeling and standing without having to adjust the red dot.

The red dot was like cheating. Was very easy to hit an 8 inch plate at 50 yards. We did a drill where we were timed port loading from a pocket/shell bag or side saddle and getting a shot off and hitting that 8 inch plate at 50 yards and I had the fastest time. This shotgun was such a pleasure to shoot and is so accurate. The combination of the red dot and the pro lifter meant I was usually the fastest reloading and getting accurate shots off on target. The oversized bolt release also was an advantage when port loading and during select slug drills. Having the lifter stay in the up position was a really nice feature when loading the mag tube.

The one issue I did have was with the CROM mounting screws backing out. This was despite following Aridus' instructions to the letter and watching their video on mounting the CROM to the 1301. I read about this being an issue, so I put witness marks on the mounting screws and two of them backed out a bit (evidenced by the witness marks no longer lining up). Tightened them back down and they were fine until the next day, where they began to back out again. Also, the set screws for the rear iron sight on the CROM also came loose on day 2. The Holosun mounted to the CROM stayed secure and those screws never loosened. I emailed Aridus letting them know and asking if it would be better to use red LocTite instead of the VibraTite that came with the CROM, but haven't heard back from Aridus. I will most likely switch to red LocTite for the mounting screws and blue LocTite for the set screws for the rear sight.

All in all, this is an AMAZING shotgun. I did shoot my 590A1 for a bit just to get some rounds through it. It's a bit heavier than the 1301 (20", double-walled barrel) so it shoots just a little softer than the 1301, but after 2 days and a lot of shooting the 1301was still very comfortable to shoot. If you mount the shotgun properly and have correct technique you should have problems with any shotgun. I also ended up getting rid of the low riser I had on the Magpul stock during day 1 because I apparently been mounting the shotgun too low on my shoulder. Even with the CROM I didn't need any risers on the Magpul stock, which means I could have probably used the OEM stock, but the Magpul stock is nice because you can attach a sling via QD on the right side of the shotgun (ejection port side) which allows the gun to sit flush against your body when slung, which you do a fair bit of when in a class.

Just to clarify my previous post, I thought I’d post pics to better explain the lifter thing. I have the Pro Lifter installed now, but I don’t know if this applies to the regular lifter as well.

This pic shows the bolt pull back by hand without the trigger being pressed before… you can see the lifter remaining in the up position cradling the round and slightly blocking it from ejecting. This can be overcome by racking the bolt hard.
    Name:  A34972D8-116E-4D20-8375-4A83779CCFC9.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  32.7 KB

This pic shows if there was a round in the chamber and the trigger was pulled, or the shell release button pressed, and the bolt pulled back by hand. The lifter has dropped to retrieve the new shell and there is nothing blocking the chambered shell from ejecting.
    Name:  13805DC1-F136-4AB5-9A35-1A56308C2883.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  34.0 KB

I also tried slug shell replacement as WYOMING SHOOTER suggested and it can be done with the Pro Lifter. Just be advised that the lifter will be in the UP position if the trigger isn’t pulled. This means that the NEW shell must be slightly pushed into the chamber to overcome the minimal spring pressure of the lifter. The shell can’t simply be dropped in. The next pics shot the lifter position with the trigger not pressed
    Name:  65DB4B59-EF57-4659-BF0A-9E4EB10A450D.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  34.5 KB

Speaking of the Pro Lifter for the 1301T, it's back in stock @ Beretta: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/collec...r-3-pro-style/

As is the 3.5" Lifter for the Comp and A400 Xtreme: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/collec...3-5-pro-style/

Quote Originally Posted by destruya View Post
    Speaking of the Pro Lifter for the 1301T, it's back in stock @ Beretta: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/collec...r-3-pro-style/

As is the 3.5" Lifter for the Comp and A400 Xtreme: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/collec...3-5-pro-style/
    I received their in stock back order email this morning and it was out of stock again at 7:30AM EST. Didn't take long.

User Tag List