Page 104 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1290

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

Quote Originally Posted by star-dot-star View Post

Spring Weight DA/SA in lbs
    10# 6.75/3.75
    11# 7.5/3.85
    D 8.2/4.0
    Stock 9.5/4.2
    Thx for posting this info. I was curious too. The original trigger gauge I purchased was defective. I didn't get replacement until after working on my PX4. Did work listed below. Aside from pull strength.. very, very smooth pull now.

My PX4 Full-Size Carry:
    • Stoned/ polished hammer & sear (competition trigger group included with Carry model)
    • CCR CPII finish on trigger group (after polishing) (Nickel / Boron finish)
    • LTT Optimized NP3 trigger bar
    • LTT 10# PX4 Chrome Silicon Hammer Spring

DA: 6.59 lbs (5 pull avg) SA: 2.73 lbs (5 pull avg)

I had original trigger bar CCR CPII finished as well, though I haven't used it (loved the LTT). Including pic of both.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bigNate; 02-16-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I actually have a 10# LTT spring. I bought it when they first came out to see if I would like it.

I put it in one of my pistols briefly and then changed back to an 11# spring before even shooting it. I just felt that the hammer was not hitting very hard comparatively. You might say that I did not give it a chance, at least not yet.

I have found that 1,000 rounds are not very much for spring relaxing or degradation to start to show up. Since I have seen 11# springs deliver light strikes I never figured it reasonable to think that a 10# would do any better.

Then, I figured that if the 10# spring was not going to be reliable enough for self-defense purposes, especially long durations... if it worked well at the range I would become spoiled and begin to think that the other hammer springs are heavy !

I do look forward to hearing good reports about the 10# spring and perhaps I may put one to work at the range at some point. For now I am encouraged by reports such as yours!
    Today at the range, 210 more rounds through my PX4 Compact with the 10# hammer spring. Stock trigger, stock trigger bar, stock fire control unit, stock hammer:

10 Hornaday Critical Defense 115 gr FTX
    10 Hornaday Critical Duty 124 gr FlexLock +P
    10 Federal 115 gr JHP +P+
    130 Armscor 115 gr FMJ
    50 CCI/Speer Training Ammunition 115 gr FMJ

As for the 10# spring, my opinion is that you should go ahead and try it. You may like it. I am neither a gunsmith nor a spring engineer, but I have no reason to think that the 10# spring is or will become unreliable or subject to degradation through normal, albeit extensive, use. If it works with your ammo of choice, it should work reliably for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post
    Today at the range, 210 more rounds through my PX4 Compact with the 10# hammer spring. Stock trigger, stock trigger bar, stock fire control unit, stock hammer:

130 Armscor 115 gr FMJ

As for the 10# spring, my opinion is that you should go ahead and try it. You may like it. I am neither a gunsmith nor a spring engineer, but I have no reason to think that the 10# spring is or will become unreliable or subject to degradation through normal, albeit extensive, use. If it works with your ammo of choice, it should work reliably for a long, long time.
    Very cool! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post

130 Armscor 115 gr FMJ

Yes, definitely go ahead and try it! That is part of the package that converts the Px4 from a TDA to a HSDA! pistol. Holy Shit Double Action!, nothing traditional at all about it. There is a separate thread just on the 10# spring. Also, Ernest Langdon, @LangdonTactical, tested it and the last report I saw there were no failures.

Beretta PX4 magazines... so far my experience is that they don't operate very smoothly and the insides are rather rough. It takes a while to work them in and even then they aren't that great. Is there some type of treatment that would be easy to apply which could bond to the metal to improve lubricity?

Beretta PX4 magazines... so far my experience is that they don't operate very smoothly and the insides are rather rough. It takes a while to work them in and even then they aren't that great. Is there some type of treatment that would be easy to apply which could bond to the metal to improve lubricity?
    I think it is shipping goo/preservative, at least the mags I have. I've spent some time cleaning them out.

Mag brag

It would be difficult for me to count how many Beretta magazines for PX4 Storms we have in all calibers and all sizes. I have quite a few that I use only at the range that have been dropped in the mud, stepped on, dropped on rocks and everything you can imagine. I have some that I leave loaded for a year at a time, some that are unloaded and rotated every three months and some that are unloaded and rotated once a month.

The bottom line is, I have never experienced any problems with magazines, some are over 10 years old.

As @JTQ mentioned, they will often come from the factory with some kind of packing grease and preservative. They don't know what might happen to them in shipping and so they protect them in that fashion.

The first thing that we do when we get new magazines is to take them apart and to clean all of the insides, the spring, follower and locking mechanism with rubbing alcohol and paper towels. We also check the follower for any burrs or pieces that are sticking out. They can be gently smoothed with a thin fingernail file.
    Once they have been cleaned from that we test-fire them.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 03-05-2022 at 09:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've got about 16 full-size PX4 magazines, most bought new, some bought used, and they've all been smooth and 100% since I bought them. I'd take them apart and clean them, including wiping off the springs, and put a really light coat of gun oil (or nothing) and try them again. I use Birchwood Casey Sheath on mine because it dries completely and leaves a lubrication film behind.

Thanks for the advisement. I bought several new ones and all are behaving this way, particularly the 20 round ones. I wasn't aware they treated them so I'll give them all good clean.

Speaking of mags for the PX4....has anyone sanded down/smoothed the edges of the baseplate, especially towards the back?

I find the edges dig/cut into my skin pretty good when carrying in an AIWB pouch. I've resorted to carrying my spare mag with a +4 springer precision extension which is nice and smooth.

User Tag List