Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT P365

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m pretty sure I’ll be emulating @tlong17 if I choose to add a RDS on my P365 - direct milling for a RMRcc.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1197427
    Yes, that’s typically how high of a front sight it takes to work with an RMRcc

Name:  442A9A70-3235-4512-8AA0-957C9F60A096.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  38.5 KB

Extremely minor things, but a tall fang front can snag like a hook on clothes and things and generally is a little more restricting on drawing from a holster (with a lower profile front, a gun can be rotated while clearing a holster, with a tall front it has to be pulled straight up or else the front sight drags on the sight channel in the holster). This can be somewhat negated with holster selection, heating the holster rib and enlarging it and / or waxing the channel in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yes, that’s typically how high of a front sight it takes to work with an RMRcc

Name:  442A9A70-3235-4512-8AA0-957C9F60A096.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  38.5 KB

Extremely minor things, but a tall fang front can snag like a hook on clothes and things and generally is a little more restricting on drawing from a holster (with a lower profile front, a gun can be rotated while clearing a holster, with a tall front it has to be pulled straight up or else the front sight drags on the sight channel in the holster). This can be somewhat negated with holster selection, heating the holster rib and enlarging it and / or waxing the channel in the holster.
    I’m really not a fan of the mainsail-sized fronts that most RDS require, but at the moment it goes with the territory since none of the lower profile RDS that are currently available are acceptable to me. My 19.5 mule is like this. It’s part of what is driving my current experimentation with carry pistols that have only a RDS and no irons, both my G26.5 and G43 are working well so far but these are still early days - and I provided a path to adding irons later without needing a complete rework.

SIG has managed to develop a turnkey pistol and RDS combination that is low enough for normal height irons, as has SA. If SIG could develop a quality version of the RomeoZero that didn’t shit the bed with minimal use, it could be a gamechanger for concealment pistols. I haven’t heard much about the SA Hex Wasp sight, but I assume it’s hobby grade. And if Shield would just develop a strong stateside presence, things might change in a hurry - the RMSw hits all the right notes for me except support.

It’s still very early days for concealment subcompact RDS equipped pistols. What it looks like in five years is anyone’s guess, but I chose to throw in my lot now at RMRcc.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 12-23-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

@HeavyDuty

All very reasonable. I think the RMSw might be the wider RMS body rather than the RMSc body but should still work with a little overhang.

Could you get around the stateside Shield support limitation by just ordering a second unit as backup? Or a whole second gun as backup?

I’ve not had any Shield units fail thus far and their customer service in UK answers emails promptly and personally.

This semi-recent 2020 video says you can pay shipping to New York and they’ll send it along with generally a 2 week turnaround once it gets to the UK.

I’ve sent units back to Trijicon and Sig and that’s not out of line even when you factor shipping in.

All just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @HeavyDuty

All very reasonable. I think the RMSw might be the wider RMS body rather than the RMSc body but should still work with a little overhang.

Could you get around the stateside Shield support limitation by just ordering a second unit as backup? Or a whole second gun as backup?

I’ve not had any Shield units fail thus far and their customer service in UK answers emails promptly and personally.

This semi-recent 2020 video says you can pay shipping to New York and they’ll send it along with generally a 2 week turnaround once it gets to the UK.

I’ve sent units back to Trijicon and Sig and that’s not out of line even when you factor shipping in.

All just FYI.
    Something to keep in mind for the future, but I’m going to ride the direct milled RMRcc train for now since I tend to like standardization. @MistWolf , sorry for the continued derail but I can see setting up my P365 similarly to these:

Name:  3C16ADE6-DC36-452C-B909-6B84B8F05FE7.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  100.1 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Something to keep in mind for the future, but I’m going to ride the direct milled RMRcc train for now since I tend to like standardization. @MistWolf , sorry for the continued derail but I can see setting up my P365 similarly to these:

Name:  3C16ADE6-DC36-452C-B909-6B84B8F05FE7.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  100.1 KB
    No apologies needed. The more info shared about mini RDS and sights, the better.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

If I did it over again, I’d just leave the normal sights in or even take them out. For what I use it for, the shroud of the optic would be a “good enough” aiming tool in the unlikely event the dot went down.

Time to assemble another iteration. Thanks.

The P365 has intrigued me since it entered the market. I finally landed one from a member here with a trade, it is cut for RMRcc and has one installed, suppressor height sights as well. I have put a couple hundred downrange and I need several thousand more to be comfortable with it. This is my first red dot pistol, the window on the RMRcc is small and there is distortion around the edges, I don't have enough time to really say either way whether it is helpful or improves my shooting to any degree. I do not find the sights to be a detriment in drawing from concealment, the front "sail" (lol) helps me find the dot during presentation. I am not a good shot with striker fired pistols, I recognize this is a me problem and one I'll need to overcome or at least manage in a way I can become proficient, I mainly shoot DA/SA CZ handguns, a 1911 or S&W revolvers as range toys.

I am going to try to carry it with a safety and I'd like to try a Boresight frame at some point. We shall see. I am planning on getting one of my P07s cut for a red dot so I have a basis of comparison between the two different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    This is my first red dot pistol,
    Considering your screen name I found this amusingly ironic. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    The P365 has intrigued me since it entered the market. I finally landed one from a member here with a trade, it is cut for RMRcc and has one installed, suppressor height sights as well. I have put a couple hundred downrange and I need several thousand more to be comfortable with it. This is my first red dot pistol, the window on the RMRcc is small and there is distortion around the edges, I don't have enough time to really say either way whether it is helpful or improves my shooting to any degree. I do not find the sights to be a detriment in drawing from concealment, the front "sail" (lol) helps me find the dot during presentation. I am not a good shot with striker fired pistols, I recognize this is a me problem and one I'll need to overcome or at least manage in a way I can become proficient, I mainly shoot DA/SA CZ handguns, a 1911 or S&W revolvers as range toys.

I am going to try to carry it with a safety and I'd like to try a Boresight frame at some point. We shall see. I am planning on getting one of my P07s cut for a red dot so I have a basis of comparison between the two different sizes.
    Photos, please!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Considering your screen name I found this amusingly ironic. Cheers!
    Lol, happenstance; I made my username the same across the various forums I frequent. My initials and the the year I joined whichever original forum it was, in 2006 (RM06). I wasn't aware of Trijicon's offering or if it even existed at that time.

User Tag List