Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 2-Light Solution

There is no rubber thingy for my SF Tactician but I am able to do a cigar grip with finger friction and plenty of finger length to grip the handgun (support side)

3X hands with long fingers also helps.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Boom... My perfect dual light carry.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Through all the threads about EDC light recommendations, the "common thread" woven into most of them is the desire to have a "one light fits all" solution. IMO, this is not the most optimal approach and is why I carry two lights. A few points I'd like to start with;

1. As with all things EDC, comfort and convenience of carry is paramount. None of us want to walk around all day, every day feeling like we're wearing a duty belt. IMO, EDC items must not only offer utility we need, but also must be "transparent" in this regard.
    2. There are two primary reasons I keep a light (or lights) on my person at all times: (1) for general, utilitarian use and (2) as a defensive tool to be used alone or in conjunction with a pistol. It is when we try to make a single light truly useful for both that we end up with something that is not ideal for either.

For an administrative light, something small and lightweight rides in a front pocket. In my case I'm back to carrying an old Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X in a 1-cell configuration due to its small size and light weight. I have the light set for 60 lumens with the bezel backed off and turbo-mode (780 lumens) with it tightened. It rarely (if ever) is used in turbo mode. Due to its small size and light weight, it "disappears" in a front pants pocket. Though I use a 16340 Li-ion cell, it will easily give the 60 lumens of output on a single CR123 battery. If I were to purchase a new light for this role, I'd roll with a new Foursevens Mini MK III, which is even smaller and lighter than the Quark.

Having a small general-purpose light that rides unnoticed in a front pocket frees me to set up my second light specifically for defensive use for exactly the way I would use it. Here I go the custom route, though there are certainly some off-the-shelf lights that could serve this role. For this light I want (1) dead simple, single mode operation; (2) absolute reliability and just like my EDC pistol (3) quick access with secure carry.

For this role, this is the "light saber" I have detailed in this thread. It is intended for use with a syringe grip which for me works perfectly in conjunction with a pistol. Using a Malkoff E2XTD head, this light is "only" 650 lumens but has a tightly focused beam producing 70,000 lux (candela), which is devastating to low-light adapted vision where a light would be needed for SD purposes;

For secure carry with fast, unhindered access I carry this light in a horizontal belt holster at the 11:45 position, between my belt buckle and first belt loop. The holster was made by Daranich Tactical (looks like they're out of business now) that I modified for use with this light and for horizontal carry. Due to my "bit of a belly" physique, this set up rides on my belt every day completely unnoticed for both concealment and carry-comfort;

I consider the belt-carried light the same way I do my Walther PPS in a JMCK #3 IWB holster - an essential EDC tool for self-defensive purposes - thus they always ride together. I wouldn't try to find a gun that is optimal for both self-defense and rabbit hunting, and I see no reason why I need to compromise on a light that I'd have to depend on in a SD scenario.

In closing, IMO there is much to be said for carrying two lights, one for general (non-critical) use and the second 100%, no compromise optimized for SD purposes.
    What SF body and clicky are you using with the Malkoff head?

What is seen to be a better solution for a handheld light that is to be for defensive use with a pistol;

Over 1000 lumens with medium candela or 500+ lumens with high candela?
    Last edited by newyork; 08-29-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    What SF body and clicky are you using with the Malkoff head?
    It's an Oveready E35 body, a ZeroRez insert in an old SF tailcap, fueled with an IMR 18500 cell.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    What is seen to be a better solution for a handheld light that is to be for defensive use with a pistol;

Over 1000 lumens with medium candela or 500+ lumens with high candela?
    I use this setup for it's blinding capacity, which is all about candela not lumens. I find the spill bright enough to maintain SA. The tight hot spot does require some practice to keep aligned with the sights when used with a pistol, but the way the light is configured with the Oveready body and grip ring makes doing so with a syringe grip quite easy.

Thank you sir!

Maybe i'm late to the party, but what is the problem with using a tactical light on low for the admin purposes? I think one light covers both perfectly, I can't imagine carrying two. Combining roles into one allows you additional space for a tourniquet, multitool, another knife, or more ammo.

To accomplish this there are certain features you have to look for. Light has to have a tail switch, and the tail switch has to be on max brightness, all the time. The tail switch should be capable of momentary on; a click to have it be toggle on is optional. To accommodate the admin use case, it should also probably (but not absolutely) have a side switch with selection options.

It should be comfortable to carry and easily accessible, though I will caveat that by saying, any time I am outside, in the dark, my flashlight is in my hand. I can't walk around with my pistol just in case, but I can absolutely walk around with a flashlight ready to go, and I do, therefore I feel that being clipped to a pocket is an acceptable trade off, as I am entirely empowered to access it while in condition yellow.

I am currently using an Acebeam EC35 GenII for the above, but in the past I have used the Olight Warrior Pro Mini which operates similarly. I've also used the Surefire Stilleto for this, which is in some of your "admin" roles, which is interesting since it has a tail switch and sufficient candela IME to blind an attacker if needed.

Just another viewpoint, I suppose.
    Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Maybe i'm late to the party, but what is the problem with using a tactical light on low for the admin purposes? I think one light covers both perfectly, I can't imagine carrying two.
    To fully understand the best thing you can do is attend low-light training. I attended the Sig Academy Low Light Pistol Operator course and it was an eye-opening experience.

After spending time running a pistol hard in an environment where I couldn't see the target without illumination, and had to clear stoppages and do mag changes by feel only, I took away the following as must-have features for a defensive light;

1. Absolute simplicity of the light interface and 100% dependability of the light activating at full output. Even in the relatively low stress of the class (compared to a real life-or-death encounter), every programmable light came on at one time or anther in the wrong mode. Press the wrong button, press it too quickly multiple times, accidentally hit the second switch while trying to clear a malfunction by feel only, etc. are all the errors I witnessed the other students struggling with. Under stress you cannot be thinking about operating the light.
    2. Momentary-only operation - regardless of how hard/far the switch is pressed. "Clicky" switches end up unintentionally clicked-on and the light fails to deactivate when expected.
    3. Ergonomics. A light configured for use with a pistol with my preferred grip is a huge benefit. Ease of holding the light with a pistol and activating it are major considerations. For example, tail cap switches that are recessed become difficult to use when you don't have a perfect grip. I have adopted the syringe grip as my go-to technique and the lights I have posted in this thread are configured to work perfectly with that grip.
    4. Hands-free light retention. This is where the finger lanyard was a major advantage - I could simply let go of the light and let it dangle while I cleared malfunction and performed mag changes. Getting back into action was far quicker than sticking it a pocket, holding under an arm (accidental drops), etc.

So at least based on my own experience, having a light 100% dedicated to this role is an advantage I'm now unwilling to forego and is why I have spent much time and effort to come up with the solution that works best for me. Finding a second easy-to-carry light to read a map or find the keys I dropped is a far easier endeavor.

User Tag List