Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any interest in a short reach trigger for the Beretta PX4?

Whats the general consensus about carrying half-cocked to reduce the trigger reach? I personally wouldn't do it, but I've heard of some people doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    I think the issue is most palpable to people with not just small hands but short fingers.
    That would be me: normal hands, stubby fingers.

I find most DA/SA autos a challenge.

Half cocked

Quote Originally Posted by learnerpermitted View Post
    Whats the general consensus about carrying half-cocked to reduce the trigger reach? I personally wouldn't do it, but I've heard of some people doing that.
    My opinion is that it would be a bad idea. Here are some reasons:

You expose the back of your firing pin plunger to debris, lint or other things. These things can get between your hammer and the firing pin plunger when it is time to strike that primer.

The hammer would be resting on the sear. If it were to receive a whack from an elbow, doorway or some other thing, the stress would be delivered straight onto the sear.

If you have a type F that uses a safety, you would not be able to engage the safety without dropping the hammer fully.

The leverage to bring the hammer back is increased. Therefore, if you were to bump your hammer a little bit you could accidentally bring it to full cock.

Being on half-cock decreases your leverage to overpower the hammer forward while holstering with your thumb on it.

When you go to the range to practice your drills and shooting, will you use your decocker lever to drop your hammer, then reach up and thumb it to half-cock? If not, you would not be practicing with the trigger pull that you will be facing in a self-defense situation.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-16-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Decreasing the trigger weight may help.

I recently got a Langdon PX4 Carry (full size) with the trigger job. I wear a men's small glove and can't get my finger very deep onto the trigger, but the trigger pull is light enough that I don't need as much leverage on the PX4 trigger as I do with my other DA guns, an S&W 4506 and S&W 686.

I need to get my trigger finger to the joint to best operate the S&W guns, but so far at least, it seems as if I can comfortably work the PX4 with just the pad of my trigger finger.

User Tag List