Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bullets forward?

bullets forward?

I've gotten into tac-rifle matches lately and I'm curious to hear how you guys are carrying your spare mags.

I'm currently using bladetech injection molded carriers on my wilderness belt. I can carry mags in either orientation and can see merrits for both.

Am I missing something? Is there a right(and wrong) way to do this or is it personal preference?

I prefer to grab the magazine in the "beer can" grip. Where the thumb of my left hand wraps around the back of the magazine while the fingers wrap around the front of the magazine. So the magazine is positioned so the bullets are to the rear while on the belt.

This allows for a more fluid motion for me*. Grab mag insert into magwell and transition weak hand back to the forearm.

*I'm not everyone, different strokes for different folks and all.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

I have never managed to get the bullets forward way to work with AR mags. My pistol mags, yes, they are bullets forward. But my AR mags are bullets back and I use the beer can grip.

Anyone else read the title of this thread and assume the OP was an H&K owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Anyone else read the title of this thread and assume the OP was an H&K owner?
    Guilty.

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Its personal preference

I use rounds foward as its the same as my handgun reload.

Some actually do both, beer can reload from hip and index from chest. Try a beer can grip reload from chest. Akward right?

It depends on the gun for me.

I carry AR magazines like pistol mags. I carry AK mags bullets to the rear.

My reasoning is the different ways the magazine actually enters the particular type of gun.

I can understand an argument about "muscle memory" or whatever, but the control layout is completely different anyway, so I don't worry about that aspect too much. At least for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post
    I prefer to grab the magazine in the "beer can" grip. Where the thumb of my left hand wraps around the back of the magazine while the fingers wrap around the front of the magazine. So the magazine is positioned so the bullets are to the rear while on the belt.

This allows for a more fluid motion for me*. Grab mag insert into magwell and transition weak hand back to the forearm.

*I'm not everyone, different strokes for different folks and all.
    That was unknown to me until Frank Proctor training. He was quite adamant about it's efficiency. Before that I'd only reloaded from a vest in 3 gunning or old web gear mag pouches in the '80's. I found it pretty slick.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JRas View Post
    Its personal preference

I use rounds foward as its the same as my handgun reload.

Some actually do both, beer can reload from hip and index from chest. Try a beer can grip reload from chest. Akward right?
    Depends on your set up. I use a beer can grip but only because of how my mags are oriented. They are butt down on a chest rig so bullets pointing right out of FASTmag's. Oh, and before someone say's they'll fall out... three years of training and I've never had one fall out or even start to slip and that included doing face down in the dirt work too.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

When I run body armor (in a combat role, I don't own personal body armor) I always had my first double pouch on the middle of my chest, and the other pouches worked to the left of middle as I wore them. It was somewhat awkward still grabbing beer can style, but I couldn't get myself to position the mags with bullets pointing to the right.

I'm that goofy bastard that didn't know any better when it came to pistol mags and started off with the bullets pointing to the rear. It took me watching a couple youtube videos and doing some reading before I realized the error of my ways.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

User Tag List