Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "War Belt" setups

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Alright, so I have couple 1.5" cobra belts I could use for inner belts. Looking at this for an outer belt. Most of my belts are ~32" - do I want the small outer belt? Currently looking at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Alright, so I have couple 1.5" cobra belts I could use for inner belts. Looking at this for an outer belt. Most of my belts are ~32" - do I want the small outer belt? Currently looking at this one.
    The sleeve length would be driven by where you want the ends of the sleeve to end up. This is largely subjective, but if the end are too close together, it can make buckling/unbuckling awkward. Best actually measure and see where the different length padded belts would end up on you, and how that might alter what/where you mount items.

As an aside, I generally prefer slightly lower profile belts with hook/loop interfaces, as opposed to the neoprene on the HSGI you linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    The sleeve length would be driven by where you want the ends of the sleeve to end up. This is largely subjective, but if the end are too close together, it can make buckling/unbuckling awkward. Best actually measure and see where the different length padded belts would end up on you, and how that might alter what/where you mount items.

As an aside, I generally prefer slightly lower profile belts with hook/loop interfaces, as opposed to the neoprene on the HSGI you linked.
    Gotcha. I am a 32" waist so per the HSGI instructions (waist size minus 4") i'd be looking at the ~28", right?

What do you like about the low pro belt/what other models should I be looking at? I know jack about this stuff so any pointers are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Gotcha. I am a 32" waist so per the HSGI instructions (waist size minus 4") i'd be looking at the ~28", right?

What do you like about the low pro belt/what other models should I be looking at? I know jack about this stuff so any pointers are helpful.
    Regarding sizing, just bear in mind the difference between "pants size" and an actual measurement with a tape (unless you've measured and you're literally 32" around the waist, in which case disregard my rambling). In one of the SKD pics, it looks like an example belt has about 4" between the ends- it also looks like based on the design, where the molle ends several inches before the actual ends of the belt, you may have a tough time mounting anything forward of your holster. Whether that's an an actual problem or not is up to you.

My preference for lower profile belts is driven 100% by the fact that mine get used as duty belts at work (uniformed patrol and once upon a time SWAT things). #1 I couldn't pull off the linked HSGI belt or the Brokos belt in uniform, #2 nor do I think either would be exceptionally comfortable seated in vehicles for an extended time. I could be wrong on comfort as I have no direct experience (see #1).

I've used the Volund micro battle belt (mine actually had a "slick" lining as opposed to hook/loop interface, but with their molle belt keepers). Worked well, I ordered slightly smaller than I should've, but was workable. Ironically if you rock 32" pants mine would be sized well for you. Happy to send it your way for a T&E.
    http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...ttle-belt.html

Moved on to the Velocity Systems OUB. This was comfortable, hook/loop interface, plenty flexibility to mount stuff (said based on the relationship between the molle channels and the actual ends of the belt, relative to the HSGI model, as well as the design of the belt offering flexibility for how the cobra belt can be woven out of the sleeve to attach subloads).
    https://www.velsyst.com/collections/...ity-belt-gen-2

Moved on to the Crye MRB 2.0. A great set up. The lightest and most comfortable duty belt I've worn. Actually a very reasonable price when you consider it comes as a package with 3 belts. Potential downsides: less room for mounting than the OUB (not an issue for me, but only barely. If you want to carry ALL THE THINGS it might not be for you). Also, if you don't need the inner belt or outer belt, and only want a sleeve, not such a great value. I'd run all three as it comes though, as they really work well together.
    https://www.cryeprecision.com/Produc...b202lg0_mrb-20

For reference, all of these belts have carried the same stuff: G21/WML in a safariland rig, 2 spare pistol mags, handheld light, rifle mag, IFAK, 2 sets of cuffs (separate pouches). OC moved to the vest when I moved to the MRB to prevent overcrowding.

I have and like the hsgi suregrip belt. If i was a cop in and out of a car id prefer my lower profile belt.

For classes, woods use, competition its great. Having suspenders is great if you're wearing a coat, need to take a dump, or just need to grab it and go.

Name:  20161009_160440.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  35.6 KB

I have one of the HSGI belts too. It’s really thick but versatile. I have it set up right now with a dump pouch, an AR taco, two pistol tacos, and a UBL mid mount with a QLS. I use it as a universal belt and a loaner for friends. It works okay but I almost never use it. I have a 32” waist and ended up with a medium.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Here we go with the fitness red herring again. Yes I *can* bend over but why would I if I don’t have to? Same thing with heavy vs light gear, yes I *can* choose a heavier piece of gear but why would I if a lighter one will do?

We are talking about two different things. I’m talking about having mags on your body so you can keep up with the class. One mag in gun, one mag on belt, three mags on chest. I’ve rarely gotten to the third chest mags. So no, most classes are not going to be cool with you constantly dipping off the line to go wandering back to grab more mags. As someone that’s supervised a lot of open-Enrollment lines, I would not ever allow that either. You often have no real idea who these people are or what their background is. Face the targets until we clear the line, thanks.

A small, light, chest rig that holds only three mags is not a heat issue. I’ve done all my shooting and training in South and Central Florida. It’s a non-issue. Particularly if you pick the right one. The problem comes in when guys think they need 5 mags, a blowout kit, a giant Bowie knife, a tourniquet, maybe a pistol and some pistol mags, etc. that’s not what I’m talking about. The old Eagle M4LE chest rig was the best thing going, but even that can be improved on and lightened. I worked with US grunt Gear to tweak his design to come up with this chest rig. Order it with the un-padded straps and h-harness. We trimmed the corners off the Eagle precisely to make it less hot, among other things.

At the end of the day we all have to find what works for us. You’re a heat-pussy, I’m a flexibility-pussy.
    Anyone in a class is going to deal with some level of discomfort, each person just needs to come up with their own compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    Regarding sizing, just bear in mind the difference between "pants size" and an actual measurement with a tape (unless you've measured and you're literally 32" around the waist, in which case disregard my rambling). In one of the SKD pics, it looks like an example belt has about 4" between the ends- it also looks like based on the design, where the molle ends several inches before the actual ends of the belt, you may have a tough time mounting anything forward of your holster. Whether that's an an actual problem or not is up to you.

My preference for lower profile belts is driven 100% by the fact that mine get used as duty belts at work (uniformed patrol and once upon a time SWAT things). #1 I couldn't pull off the linked HSGI belt or the Brokos belt in uniform, #2 nor do I think either would be exceptionally comfortable seated in vehicles for an extended time. I could be wrong on comfort as I have no direct experience (see #1).

I've used the Volund micro battle belt (mine actually had a "slick" lining as opposed to hook/loop interface, but with their molle belt keepers). Worked well, I ordered slightly smaller than I should've, but was workable. Ironically if you rock 32" pants mine would be sized well for you. Happy to send it your way for a T&E.
    http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...ttle-belt.html

Moved on to the Velocity Systems OUB. This was comfortable, hook/loop interface, plenty flexibility to mount stuff (said based on the relationship between the molle channels and the actual ends of the belt, relative to the HSGI model, as well as the design of the belt offering flexibility for how the cobra belt can be woven out of the sleeve to attach subloads).
    https://www.velsyst.com/collections/...ity-belt-gen-2

Moved on to the Crye MRB 2.0. A great set up. The lightest and most comfortable duty belt I've worn. Actually a very reasonable price when you consider it comes as a package with 3 belts. Potential downsides: less room for mounting than the OUB (not an issue for me, but only barely. If you want to carry ALL THE THINGS it might not be for you). Also, if you don't need the inner belt or outer belt, and only want a sleeve, not such a great value. I'd run all three as it comes though, as they really work well together.
    https://www.cryeprecision.com/Produc...b202lg0_mrb-20

For reference, all of these belts have carried the same stuff: G21/WML in a safariland rig, 2 spare pistol mags, handheld light, rifle mag, IFAK, 2 sets of cuffs (separate pouches). OC moved to the vest when I moved to the MRB to prevent overcrowding.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. While in the future I will probably want a belt that I can use in vehicles, I think for now I just want something comfy with real estate for stuff. I imagine this would be something I want to be able to throw in the car with my range and rifle bags; probably won't be wearing it much outside of that environment.

However eventually a smaller, lighter belt I could potentially conceal under a baggy sweatshirt or something would be appealing for my "CHAZ annexes my living room" planning purposes

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I have one of the HSGI belts too. It’s really thick but versatile. I have it set up right now with a dump pouch, an AR taco, two pistol tacos, and a UBL mid mount with a QLS. I use it as a universal belt and a loaner for friends. It works okay but I almost never use it. I have a 32” waist and ended up with a medium.

Here is my pretty much unused version. After reading this thread I am pretty sure to be dropping some stuff off it. :Name:  8EBF81D3-CB43-4244-AF2A-0BE4798850C6.jpeg
Views: 521
Size:  84.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I’m undecided as to whether these questions are relevant here or need to go somewhere else, so everyone feel free to let me know I’m a dumbass if this is too much of a derail.

This makes a lot of sense to me and reflects what I’ve been trying to do. I’d rather always leave my pistol, reload, and knife where they are in my EDC, which is AIWB/centerline. I’ve found I can add a second pistol reload and a rifle mag OWB and still reasonably conceal everything with an extra unbuttoned shirt over a T shirt or with looser fitting sweaters and flannels.

My questions are: 1, is there a good way to add a small mags-only chest rig to this for classes without completely fouling my pistol draw, since I understand the concept that more mags on the line is better and I can use the rig to refill my belt pouch. 2, as suggested by your comment about the wrong class, is it generally feasible to find an instructor who will allow an AIWB pistol in a rifle class? I’ve seen a few requirements out there for OWB secondaries, which I’m not enthusiastic about since I have no reason to ever carry OWB otherwise.

Also, I am one of those dad bod lawyers.
    I would wear the chest rig as high up as possible, leaving room to get at the front center pistol. You also may not want to carry a non-required pistol AIWB in a class. My second cool guy tactical rifle class a couple of decades ago I wanted to run my shiny new 1911 in a thigh holster for the two days. By lunch on day one my holster had scooped enough wet sand that I had to keep wiping between the face of the hammer and the firing pin to even see the firing pin. And just like that, the finish was absolutely eaten off of my 2 month old $1100 1911.

Train as you fight has SOME truth to it. But learning the basics is not fighting. Nor should it be. And the basics is the structure on what the cool guy stuff is built on. Drop $75 bucks on a OWB holster, even a paddle holster, for a class that requires it. Just vet it first that the holster won't come with the gun on the draw, while wearing your other stuff. I can only think of ONE carbine class where transitions were done under pressure. The transition is taught as a concept. Delta Force ninjas don't start out shooting while rappelling, all jocked up in armor, gas mask, and gloves. I have it on very good authority that before they touch a round of live ammunition that they spend about 80 hours dry firing. Then they get ammo, but they run slick, with no other gear. Then they start introducing gear. And movement. People poo poo square range training, but it is vital, even later in a shooters career. Another option for integrating a chest rig with AIWB, assuming you are running a Glock, would be to pick up a Condom holster from SGM McPhee at www.sobtactical.com. He designed the holster to be worn AIWB, moved to traditional 3 o'clock standard IWB, or clipped into an empty mag pouch on a chest rig to carry the pistol there. Then, I suppose, you could carry the chest rig lower and have some commonality of movement. If you run another gun I am sure you can find a holster to clip into the mag pouch. Bonus points if the chest rig opens in front for shooting from the prone.

I have said this more than once on this board. In the last 22 years I have carried autos, and revolvers, rifles and shotguns; from chest holsters to belt rigs, to AIWB, to level One and Two duty holsters, to pocket carry. In calibers from .32, to .38, to .357 (mag and Sig), to 9mm, to .40, to .45. Sometimes in the same day.I take my training seriously, and I have never reached for a gun in a spot that I wasn't carrying one in. It is possible and has happened. But I am not sure it is the norm with quality training. The common logic is to only carry one gun in one place, to avoid confusion. Yes, I realize I am stoopid, and am gonna get kilt in da streetz, but moving a pistol to 3:00 OWB for a three to five day class is not going to undo your prior work. Like everything else, it is a balancing act. Comfort vs concealment...pistol size vs mag capacity. Training value of a class vs commonality of motion.

Sorry if I seem terse. I am up past my bedtime. I hope this helps.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-15-2020 at 02:38 PM.

User Tag List