Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great podcasts

Great podcasts

Dan Carlin Hardcore History. Basically history in this guy's own words which makes it easier to digest. I'm tearing through his Roman Empire stuff right now. Most of it is free and I recommend it. I'm told he has a conservative/libertarian view which works for me. If you do a bit of commuting, you might enjoy listening to this.
    #RESIST

Thanks for the link. I have a long drive coming up next month, and always enjoy listening to history audiobooks.

Two of my coworkers are always going on about that guy. I might have to take a listen.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    I just this afternoon finished listening to his 5-part "Wrath of the Khans."

It was amazing.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Subscribed What podcast app is everyone using?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I just this afternoon finished listening to his 5-part "Wrath of the Khans."

It was amazing.
    On part 2 of the Wrath of the Khans. Byron called it - AMAZING. Highly recommended. Beats the heck out of radio talk shows.

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive
    #RESIST

I'm part of the way through Part I of Wrath of the Khans and it's pretty good so far. I was skeptical at first since Carlin's voice and delivery initially gave off a snake-oil salesman vibe, but I stuck through the first bit and he definitely had some interesting points.

Of note, his point regarding the particular characteristics of nomadic, hunter-gatherer societies that allowed them to more easily conquer agrarian societies, right up until they themselves settled down in their conquered territories, adopted agriculturalist ways and were then later conquered in turn, resonated with previous analyses of Chinese dynastic history I have read.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Subscribed What podcast app is everyone using?
    I use Podcast Addict on my Android devices.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    On part 2 of the Wrath of the Khans. Byron called it - AMAZING. Highly recommended. Beats the heck out of radio talk shows.
    Glad you're enjoying it. I really got sucked deeper and deeper in as the series went on. It got to the point where I was responding like a jerk in a movie theater: "Oh, you guys just f'd up! Don't you know what the Khans are going to do to you?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I'm part of the way through Part I of Wrath of the Khans and it's pretty good so far. I was skeptical at first since Carlin's voice and delivery initially gave off a snake-oil salesman vibe, but I stuck through the first bit and he definitely had some interesting points.
    I had to restart Part I because I also had difficulty getting into it at first. The fact that it's only him talking bothered me at first: I'm used to a conversational format for a podcast. But I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Of note, his point regarding the particular characteristics of nomadic, hunter-gatherer societies that allowed them to more easily conquer agrarian societies, right up until they themselves settled down in their conquered territories, adopted agriculturalist ways and were then later conquered in turn, resonated with previous analyses of Chinese dynastic history I have read.
    That definitely fascinated me. He talks about how in some cases, the Mongols would rotate their people in and out of their conquered territories to prevent them from getting comfortable. If you spent some time in the lap of luxury, you were ordered back to the steppe so that you didn't lose your edge.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Mind-blowingly good!!

The Decline of the Roman Republic series is AWESOME!!

Thanks for the tip. I'm downloading them now.

User Tag List