Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Star Gear kydex sheaths for ESEE Candiru & Izula

Dark Star Gear kydex sheaths for ESEE Candiru & Izula

I needed a kydex sheath for my Candiru so I contacted my buddy at Dark Star Gear. I have a good number of their pistol holsters and have always been pleased with the fit, finish, & function. The maker is always eager to try new things so when I contacted him about making me a sheath he jumped on board. Coincidentally, he had already been working on something that fit my needs.

The sheath is a simple taco style with a single screw that serves to both adjust tension & to attach a single soft loop w/ a Pull The Dot snap. The PTD snap allows for quick on/off capability. DSG also punches extra holes in the soft loop so you can adjust it to accommodate different belt widths. I have been wearing mine on a 1.5" Wilderness Tactical belt and once I changed to a different hold it doesn't move at all. It stays put and is rock solid. Out of the box the tension wasn't as tight as I prefer but after a couple of turns of the screw the sheath holds the knife very securely.

This sheath has absolutely made the Candiru a part of my EDC setup. I have worn one of these for the past couple of days on a dinner & movie date night (under an untucked button down along with a G19 worn OWB and an extra mag pouch) and running errands all day today (under an untucked t-shirt along with a G19 worn IWB). The sheath holds everything close to the belt but allows enough room to get a solid grip for drawing the blade.

My neighbor saw me outside taking these pics and now wants one. He isn't even a knife guy.

Here are some pics of the Candiru sheath.

Front & back ...

On the belt, accessible cross-draw or with support hand ...

Here is the same style sheath for the Izula I/II.

Here are a couple of sheaths he made me for neck carry.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 11-10-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: I forgot something I wanted to say.

Those look awesome!
    "I realized all the mindset talk was useless without action and that with action, all the mindset talk was unnecessary." - Mike Pannone

VolGrad, thank you very much for posting this. I've been pondering something along those lines - wanting something smaller and more discreet that a RAT-3. But I have found a TDI to just not work the way I wanted.

That Candiru rig looks like just the ticket. I appreciate the photos, too.

Volgrad - the larger knife is the Izula II with the longer handle yes?
    "I realized all the mindset talk was useless without action and that with action, all the mindset talk was unnecessary." - Mike Pannone

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Volgrad - the larger knife is the Izula II with the longer handle yes?
    Correct. Izula II.

Wow, those look sharp! And great photos for the demonstrations- thanks for including those Vol!

Photos on the belt were tricky. I took them one handed with my iPhone.

Those are awesome...

I have a couple things I've been wanting good kydex sheaths for, but have been putting it off because I couldn't find what i was wanting. I think I've now found what I want!

Great looking sheaths. I'm really wanting to try out a Candiru for every-day use, but that prime 11:00 spot is taken up by my BOB (hopefully to be replaced by a Clinch Pick someday). Trying to get rid of visible pocket clips, but 2 fixed blades on the belt seems a bit... too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Great looking sheaths. I'm really wanting to try out a Candiru for every-day use, but that prime 11:00 spot is taken up by my BOB (hopefully to be replaced by a Clinch Pick someday). Trying to get rid of visible pocket clips, but 2 fixed blades on the belt seems a bit... too much.
    The idea came when I was fiddling with a Clinch Pick actually. I hate teklocks in some instances and had the idea to get a CP to work on a 1.75" belt as I believe most have a mini teklock that is 1.5" only. It strays from the CP sheath in a few ways and that sheath is set up that way for a few reasons but wearing a larger belt at times forces compromise. Also not having a Clinch Pick is an issue too...

Here is what I started with:

Did not have the CP in hand long enough to adjust height but I did get the function desired. To mimic the standoff from the body it would require a slight tweak but it is doable.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List