Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one pistol/handgun?

Last night, a friend told me that he bought an optic ready VP9-B. I pulled mine out of the safe and it felt wonderful in my hands. Enough so, I took it to the range, thinking I might set one up with an EPS. I shot an array, and repeated it, to get a baseline. Then I repeated the same with a Glock 19. I was about ten percent better with the Glock. The VP9, which felt so good holding it, squirmed around in recoil, and the squarish 19 frame just was easier to control in recoil.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    Hello Everyone! I don't know if this topic has ever been started on this forum, I apologize if it has, but probably most of us like to read and participate in such discussions. The question is: if you could only have only one handgun for the rest of your life, which gun would you choose? Personally, I would probably choose the G17, although I hesitate between it and one of the CZ-75 models precisely because of the steel/metal frame, which may still be better in the long run and when the gun may serve as an heirloom. Although I wouldn't mind if it was a 92, P226, or USP. What would you choose?

I know this is in the semi-automatic forum but...

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The concern about staying under the radar is not without merit. I grew up in NJ, with a father who practiced a significant amount of criminal law - both prosecution and defense. He had good relationships with all of the police officers and departments he dealt with, regardless of whether he was prosecuting or defending someone they arrested. Some of those police officers knew that shooting was one of his interests, as well as one of my interests. Before so-called assault weapons were banned in NJ, he did not want to own more than one AR-15 because he did not want to be on anyone's radar despite being known and liked by many in law enforcement. At that point in time, AR-15's were not anywhere near as common as they are today, and gun writers were foolishly using the term "assault weapon" as a marketing term to sell magazines as well as the products described therein.

Mitchell Lake is an attorney who used to post on SDF and TPI. In the different context of selecting what to carry on one's person, he counseled against creating what he called the "WTF factor." The "WTF factor" arises when, although everything you are carrying is technically legal, normal, reasonable people just don't carry that much and take on that much inconvenience when they are not looking for trouble.
    That is a better illustration of what I was referencing to. Many times in court (criminal or civil, which you're likely to face at least civil), things that shouldn't matter to the case end up do mattering. Most people on juries are not "gun people", even outside of restrictive anti-gun jurisdictions. The average jury pool isn't going to have a p-f competitive shooter who sees a 21-shot 9mm loaded with "cop bullets" with a dot and comp as a normal EDC pistol.

I get the whole "better judged by 12 than carried by 6" thing, and agree to a point, but when there's options that will equally avoid being judged by 12 as well as carried by 6, I'd rather go for that one. If what one owns is registered, as more states are going to requiring, I do see the merit in minimizing what all is "in your name".

In this day and age, in much of the country I don't think a relatively box-stock G19 is going to cause any problems, but even ignoring federal pushes for legislation, some states are seeing increasingly out of control legislation being pushed that has a better chance of becoming a reality.

Come to think of it, if I really only could have one pistol, an HK45c V7 LEM would be pretty tempting if I didn't go with a revolver, especially if I lived in a more restrictive jurisdiction. Good for in-town carry as well as rural with the right ammo for each application. If I had to hunt with a handgun, though, I'd feel better about having a .357 Magnum than a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This touches on a factor thats seldom mentioned in the geezer gun discussions. SA revolvers are not very populer of course in the defensive role, though a couple things keep them on my radar for that use, one, Ive shot them, a LOT, and shoot them well, with very little effort so it seems to maintain abilities. The other, they are much easer on the hands for a given caliber than DA revolvers. Given that much of my use is field use/non-urban, not shootouts or door kicking, Id prefer to have the power over reload speed, coupled with very easy to shoot well. Just me. As a single gun or very limited number of guns for whatever reason, I wouldnt rule out an SA revolver by any means.

If the geezer choice becomes a 32 or 38 wadcutters vs a 44 or 45 SA or 357 SA, Im going with the SA.
    While I don't yet participate in Cowboy Action Shooting, my work allows me to watch those guys perform frequently as well as converse with them. Many of them run well over 10k rounds a year through their SA revolvers. Seeing how quickly and accurately they shoot, I think it makes a lot of sense for them to be carrying/using their SA revolver over a modern pistol. In fact I'd take one of them having my back using their Cowboy Action Shooting SA over most people with a modern semi auto. What they're able to do with those SA six shooters is downright awe-inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Last night, a friend told me that he bought an optic ready VP9-B. I pulled mine out of the safe and it felt wonderful in my hands. Enough so, I took it to the range, thinking I might set one up with an EPS. I shot an array, and repeated it, to get a baseline. Then I repeated the same with a Glock 19. I was about ten percent better with the Glock. The VP9, which felt so good holding it, squirmed around in recoil, and the squarish 19 frame just was easier to control in recoil.
    I assume you've played around with different grip panels on the VP9 but maybe try to model it after the shape of the Glock 19 and see what that does. One other question, if you were to repeat the same array on a much larger scale could the results change with a larger sample size. From a scientific perspective I have two concerns with your data, the other may be that the difference (10%) is in the realm of not statistically significant and could just be random scatter that equalizes under a larger set of data.

I've stopped losing sleep over having to use, say, a 10 round magazine in a Glock 19 or 23 versus a 15 or 13 round one. While I'm personally skeptical about magazine limitations actually accomplishing anything constructive, I'm quite comfortable in carrying and using a weapon with a capacity of 10 rounds (or, in a 1911, 7-8 rounds, or in a revolver 6 rounds...).

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    I assume you've played around with different grip panels on the VP9 but maybe try to model it after the shape of the Glock 19 and see what that does. One other question, if you were to repeat the same array on a much larger scale could the results change with a larger sample size. From a scientific perspective I have two concerns with your data, the other may be that the difference (10%) is in the realm of not statistically significant and could just be random scatter that equalizes under a larger set of data.
    Four years or so ago, I shot a VP9 for a season in Carry Optics (USPSA and Steel Challenge), so I have pretty good feel for the pistol. The VP9 I shot today was set up in the configuration I settled on.

The Glock 19 has so many things going for it, something else has to shoot significantly better than the Glock for me to forsake all the benefits of the Glock ecosystem. In terms of just the shooting characteristics, the Gen 5 19 is as or more accurate than the VP9, throws the brass out further, is easier to reload, and is more size efficient. In times past, the HK was more accurate and reliable, but Glock upped their game with the Gen 5 changes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

RE: P365 + several conversion kits.

Some countries (Germany?) regulate barrels the same as they do receivers. I wonder what's to stop a state gov from doing something similar.

AFAIK CA's "ammo requires a background check" thing is still in effect. There's back-and-forth on their mag ban which is probably a better example since magazines are gun parts. What would stop them from adding key parts like barrels and slides to the list of things that requires a "background check" or being subject to the same state-level registration requirements as complete firearms / receivers? I'm not interested in debating the efficacy of such a law. Just wondering about the legality. AFAIK there's nothing stopping them from doing this? Are there legal hurdles I'm missing or is it just a "hasn't happened yet" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    I never said there was a rule but your are calling an FCU a pistol, which isn't true in the slightest. I guess the OP would have to define any rules but most people here are just naming ACTUAL pistols that are complete and functioning. An FCU is a paperweight until it's built into an actual pistol. It's like asking me what type of ice cream I'd eat until the end of time and I tell you 'salt'. Salt is an ingredient in ice cream but nobody would argue it IS ice cream.
    I think you’re taking it too literally.

And trying to make a non-thing into a thing.

P365XL with every grip and slide variant, then.
    Or a P365 SAS with every grip and slide variant, then.
    Or maybe a P365 Macro and every grip and slide variant, then.

See how stupid it is for me to say it? Because if I had only one pistol, I wouldn’t stop with just the FCU.

I WOULD DO THE FCU PLUS ALL SUPPORTING HARDWARE OPTIONS AVAILABLE.

I’m also assuming bullets are available too even though not specified.

No dumbass would think I’d stop with just the FCU just like nobody would assume having a gun would mean stopping before buying magazines and bullets… even though not explicitly stated, it’s implied.

Name:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  39.6 KB

I’ve got a bunch and have mixed and matched so much that I don’t know which FCU originally came in what chassis anymore.

And it doesn’t matter. So I just think of them as P365 FCUs IN A CHASSIS.
    Last edited by JCN; 12-12-2023 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    G5 Glock 19 MOS.
    Left brain says this ^.

Right brain wants my LW Operator 😁
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List