Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one pistol/handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The only real rules I can think of are possible legalities if/where such restrictions could exist, and whatever the legal definition is, is all that matters. In places with such restrictions on numbers, converion kits are more practical, or "build-a-gun on one serialed part", as would something like a TC Contender if much hunting or field use was a large part of ones reason for having handguns (bizarre concept, I know....). As an internet thread starter idea, rules are whatever the imagination of the starter says, or others agree to, and i never agreed to any such restriction, so I guess I dont play the game very well. I have no intention of only having one handgun, unless on me at any given moment was the qustion, and not always then.
    Agreed, but P365 FCU fits the legality at this time.

Philosophically, I don’t find it any different than if I said: G19x… with Gen 5 G23 and 22 slides plus G17 and G34 slides… plus mechtech 16 inch conversion…

Basically I’m going to pick the gun with versatility if I’m limited by law.

Honestly, gaming use of pistols is more important for me than self defense use 99.999% of the time, so I would probably pick a CZ75B that I could put a P01 slide on for carry and an SP01 slide for gaming.

But then we are talking about multiple gun configurations which are totally a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Agreed, but P365 FCU fits the legality at this time.

Philosophically, I don’t find it any different than if I said: G19x… with Gen 5 G23 and 22 slides plus G17 and G34 slides… plus mechtech 16 inch conversion…

Basically I’m going to pick the gun with versatility if I’m limited by law.

Honestly, gaming use of pistols is more important for me than self defense use 99.999% of the time, so I would probably pick a CZ75B that I could put a P01 slide on for carry and an SP01 slide for gaming.

But then we are talking about multiple gun configurations which are totally a thing.
    Yes, agree on all counts. Whats the most practical and useful for each individual is what we have to decide. Field use, small game hunting and animal defense are highest on my list. If stuck with one (or very limited number) for some reason, Id want a belt size centefire revolver and fabricate a 22 conversion for it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If you could have only one pistol/handgun?

Here’s what my One Gun Forever looks like. P-07 with a complete spare parts kit, including extra CGW Prograde components. Note spare frame inserts, sear, trigger bar, and other wear items that aren’t likely to be needed for 100k rounds.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This touches on a factor thats seldom mentioned in the geezer gun discussions. SA revolvers are not very populer of course in the defensive role, though a couple things keep them on my radar for that use, one, Ive shot them, a LOT, and shoot them well, with very little effort so it seems to maintain abilities. The other, they are much easer on the hands for a given caliber than DA revolvers. Given that much of my use is field use/non-urban, not shootouts or door kicking, Id prefer to have the power over reload speed, coupled with very easy to shoot well. Just me. As a single gun or very limited number of guns for whatever reason, I wouldnt rule out an SA revolver by any means.

If the geezer choice becomes a 32 or 38 wadcutters vs a 44 or 45 SA or 357 SA, Im going with the SA.
    I schlepped back to the GP-100 as an "I think I may need a revolver again" choice because it was fairly close to the hypothetical center of a vague "geezer's Venn diagram" in my head that had sets I can only approximate in terms like "recoil impulse," "ammunition choice/supply," "mechanical sustainability" and so on... some of it probably more "psycho than logical."

To be fair, that sort of also happened in my semiauto journey to the Beretta PX4 (and ultimately the 92X).

Now that I can see my theoretical "three-score and ten" expiration date approaching without needing to put my glasses on, I can't say that I am 100% content with the shooting irons I now have left, but I am comfortable - and confident - using them, they are all competent in more than one role, and nothing is so "niche" that my eventual executor(s) will need to beat the bushes to find a home for it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I schlepped back to the GP-100 as an "I think I may need a revolver again" choice because it was fairly close to the hypothetical center of a vague "geezer's Venn diagram" in my head that had sets I can only approximate in terms like "recoil impulse," "ammunition choice/supply," "mechanical sustainability" and so on... some of it probably more "psycho than logical."

To be fair, that sort of also happened in my semiauto journey to the Beretta PX4 (and ultimately the 92X).

Now that I can see my theoretical "three-score and ten" expiration date approaching without needing to put my glasses on, I can't say that I am 100% content with the shooting irons I now have left, but I am comfortable - and confident - using them, they are all competent in more than one role, and nothing is so "niche" that my eventual executor(s) will need to beat the bushes to find a home for it.

Some good points. I feel fairly comfortable keeping S&W revolvers going and can stumble around inside a Colt DA at this point and think i can do basics enough to keep one going. SA revolvers are not too hard to work on. Ive long kept basic parts for whatever I used much. Even if I wasnt always able to do the work, at least having a part is oftn an important step in the process.

One thread on the cast bullets forum, a guy shot 75k wadcutters through his model 27. That sounds like a workable geezer gun also, and not hard on the gun by any means.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Once upon a time Single Action revolvers had parts made by guys who used coal fires, hammers, tongs, and an anvil in a shed by the horse coral.

If I were someplace far away with a similar level of technology available, I'd have to think hard about an SA revolver in .357 with a spare 9mm cylinder.

Sometimes the choice of keeping one gun isn't about legality, but the fact that you need to sell a lot of stuff because more urgent things have happened to you, such as massive medical bills.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Sometimes the choice of keeping one gun isn't about legality, but the fact that you need to sell a lot of stuff because more urgent things have happened to you, such as massive medical bills.
    But that’s a different question.

If you said, what gun would you keep if you had to sell everything else due to financial constraints then I’d probably pick a snub.

And then buy back competition stuff later when I had health and money to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    You do know we are talking about a hypothetical situation, right?

So there really aren’t any “rules.”

I never said there was a rule but your are calling an FCU a pistol, which isn't true in the slightest. I guess the OP would have to define any rules but most people here are just naming ACTUAL pistols that are complete and functioning. An FCU is a paperweight until it's built into an actual pistol. It's like asking me what type of ice cream I'd eat until the end of time and I tell you 'salt'. Salt is an ingredient in ice cream but nobody would argue it IS ice cream.

User Tag List