Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville Church School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    At my former job in the middle of the night one night in the ICU we took an informal poll. Of the 20 respiratory therapist, nurses, secretaries, and physicians, 19 were on some form of psychiatric drugs. A few days later I asked the same question to the staff in the endoscopy suite and got 100% of them being medicated.

As far as I know, None of these people ever turned out to be murderers.
    I think the more disturbing question is, why are so many health care providers, of the ones you polled, on mind altering drugs to begin with? Do I need to start asking my physicians if they're mentally well enough to treat me?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    The use of 'crazy' or 'evil' has two major trusts:

1. Explanatory - with little knowledge of what they mean in depth or their predictive value.

2. Worry about the legal consequences of 'crazy' as to avoid what some people want as punitive measures against the shooter. Hospitalized and treated vs. super max and a punishing, unpleasant imprisonment.

I won't cue the hour lecture on how to define behavior and then free will and then legal consequences. I'm retired. Has the kids read pros and cons and write their analysis of a case.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 03-28-2023 at 12:02 PM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Cray, evil, mean, or whatever, they still should sit in that special chair.

Site Supporter
    That is a question that has been discussed for centuries. While we don't know in this case, there are clear cases were demonstrable physiological causes have led to horrific behavior. The number is small. The reader can decide if such a person should be executed and what purpose does that serve? It is not a deterrent and do we want a revenge society as a primary determinant of our actions? I leave that to the reader.

To the shooting, two things I noticed in the video:

1. The shooter shot through the door and then proceeded to move not with the AR (at least in the video I saw) but with the Keltec.

2. The glass doors. Where I worked, we constructed a new building. The architects wanted to promote an open air view of happy folks learning. Thus the classrooms in general had glass walls and doors. Then because of school shootings, they ran active shooter classes and let's run and hide. Hard to hide with class glass walls. One of my colleagues was a for real SEAL and I asked him what it would take to take down the glass wall. He said about 4 rounds. Later, another school had the same firm planning their building and a colleague asked about those kind of walls and I told him my concerns. He got it but I don't know if he could stop it. When I testified to the TX legislature about campus carry I mentioned how the classrooms could be death traps and go on TV being interviewed! When give a choice of the nice airy class, I chose one without that and multiple exits in front and back.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    https://youtu.be/Ue2tZa4hT0c

Nashville Metro bodycam footage if it hasn't been posted already.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Two things stand out to me:

1) We need to have a much better plan for responding police to be able to deal with locked doors whole responding to something like this.

2) I will sleep very well tonight if I know that the officers around here are as willing as those officers to quickly seek out the shooter and stop the shooting.

Site Supporter

It has - see post 89 in this thread.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    but there seems to be a resistance to calling people crazy because there's a presumption that they won't be held accountable in some way, which (at least from the outside looking int) seems to result in a fair amount of missed opportunities.

ETA: this is getting pretty far down a rabbit hole of minutiae.

The original, broader, point is that IMO there are some people that want to use "crazy" as an cause and some that want to use "evil", and get hung up (much like this back and forth) on definitions of both, when the general public just want to be safe. Both seem to me to be very dismissive and not really productive.
    The real consequence to the idea that all shooters are “crazy” is that it can cause people to ignore red flags / warnings signs because they don’t think of the person exhibiting the warning sign behavior as “crazy.”

For example: I will yeah so-and-so did x or talked about X but they would never really do it. I know them, they’re not crazy.” I’ve seen this firsthand.

OUTSTANDING job. They never hesitated to go in despite the great risk involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Body cam video released.

Yes, there's plenty to critique as far as tactics, but:

- they made entry
    - they began clearing (no driving force)
    - when the driving force presented itself (gunshots), they moved to it immediately

Strong work from MNPD.

Now its fucking pronouns are was/were.

User Tag List