Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gun owner,.. needs a vocabulary lesson!!

New gun owner,.. needs a vocabulary lesson!!

Been trying to do a little research on a few topics since joining here.

I've started two threads related to my purchase of a defective SA handgun,.. and Ive received a hell of a lot of good advice. The only real issue Im having is since I don't really know anything about guns, shooting methods, different manufacturers and the numerous types of weapon options & safety features,.. To me, most of you guys might as well be speaking GREEK! Lol 😂

So I was wondering, Is there a glossary or vocabulary thread I can go to, where I can reference some of the terms, acronyms, nomenclature and abbreviations that are frequently used here?

Thanks! 👍🏻

Whelp, not that I’ve seen. Any phrases or acronyms in particular?

Might be an idea to post the top five you are interested in getting more info on, and get some responses going from the members. After that, you could post another five, and so on and so forth.

Start here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-for-Beginners

A lot of the lingo will come over time. The more you get exposed to informed people presenting the concepts the more a lot of stuff others are discussing will begin to make sense. Be sure to check out the reference section of the forum for a ton of great content.

Any specific stuff you're wondering about just ask.

Site Supporter
    MHAS - Moderators here are shit
    --Jason--

Student
    Hi and welcome.

For what you are asking for, the best resource I would recommend is not online, but actually in a book, which is the NRA's Basics of Pistol Shooting. While the 4th edition is the latest version, the previous third edition is the one you are most likely to find very inexpensive used copies of online, or better yet, in your local library.

This might be a little on the nose, but while there's nothing wrong with wanting a handy reference you can go back to, this is also the sort of thing you would learn in a basic pistol class, which I would highly recommend you attend.

In Michigan, you have two excellent training options that I know of from all the way over here in Arizona having never set foot over there, which is Sentinel Concepts, and MDFI.

MDFI has a good class for new shooters. There is one in Albion at the end of this month, on the 26th, which still has slots open.
    https://trainmdfi.com/courses/ysintg/

Student
    Can you make it to that class in Albion? I understand you're on a budget and looking for a new pistol right now, but if you can borrow some gear from your coworkers (or perhaps the instructors, if you contact them in advance) and show up, I have a $100 gift certificate for you that would help offset the cost of attendance.

The only catch is that you post a review here afterward telling us about it.

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I think it's important that you get some professional training sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Can you make it to that class in Albion? I understand you're on a budget and looking for a new pistol right now, but if you can borrow some gear from your coworkers (or perhaps the instructors, if you contact them in advance) and show up, I have a $100 gift certificate for you that would help offset the cost of attendance.

The only catch is that you post a review here afterward telling us about it.

I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I think it's important that you get some professional training sooner rather than later.
    Lol! I have to laugh at that title!! I've heard that same excuse for sucking from snowboarders blaming the board and photographers blaming their cameras!!

I doubt I will make that Albion class. Gotta work. Looks like a good class tho. I wish the Howell class wasn't sold out. It's on a weekend and it's much closer to home. I'll keep my eye open if it comes back around. Appreciate the thought & information tho. 👍🏻

Hammertime
    SA=Single Action BTW😉 usually.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Hi Chomps, and welcome,
    This is a good place to start.
    The rules to live by.

http://www.marksmanship.gtorg.gatech...ty%20Rules.pdf

A glossary of terms.

https://www.americanfirearms.org/fir...s...%20More%20
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    SA=Single Action BTW😉 usually.

Wikipedia is your friend.
    Except when it’s Semi-Auto, or Springfield Armory. Acronyms can be confusing,

User Tag List