Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Site Supporter
    I tried FAST for the first time today. Typically I only have access to an indoor square range, so most of my practice from the draw is dry fire in my basement. Turns out that I can't shoot my G26 nearly as well as I thought. I never slowed down enough to get all hits, which would require more than 9 seconds. I switched to the G19 and shot it in 7.49 and then shot it in 7.40 with my G17. These weren't cold since I'd been shooting the G26, but I'm pleased nonetheless. Shots to the 3x5 area ranged in the 2.3 to 2.5 seconds. That's also about how long my reloads take. Splits on the 8" target were mostly 0.5 to 0.6 seconds with some going to low 0.40s.

EDIT: I was shooting from AIWB with a tucked in shirt. G26 has Glock night sights. G19 as 10-8 performance sights with brass bead. G17 has Warren Tacticals with tritium.
    Last edited by pangloss; 08-30-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Gen 4 19, 10-8 rear/tritium front, Original Keeper holster. Had a few runs before this one from 5.9 to 6.4 with a single dropped headshot on each.

Last edited by StraitR; 09-10-2015 at 08:12 PM.

I've been unable to travel to some regional matches I had planned this month b/c of some last minute work related obligations, so I've been taking the opportunity to work back into a more regular live fire practice schedule in lieu of traveling. I've been shooting some of the DotW drills and, more to the point here, have been revisiting the F.A.S.T. a bit; trying to shoot a couple cold at the beginning of my sessions.

I took some iPhone footage on a couple different days the last several weeks and figured I'd share since this thread has been bumped back to life. Gear is a Sig 226R out of a Safariland 6360 ALS/SLS; a duplicate of my duty holster. Open top pouches also similar to what I use at work.

4.78 and a 4.46 back to back. I put one a touch high outta the head on the second run, so it's a 6.46. Please excuse the Jesus sandals. ;-)

[pbvideo]http://vid388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Videos/IMG_0616_zpsbf2b50a5.mp4[/pbvideo]

My timer was picking up some extraneous noise this day for some reason. Reholstering maybe? It was clipped to a plastic mag pouch instead of my pocket so maybe that's why. I don't have any video editing skills yet so bear with the dilly-dallying... Runs were 4:05 and a 4:21 clean. Although I was using a metric target head box instead of the larger 3x5 and the upper half of the lower A for the body, FWIW; I forgot my stencils. And sorry in advance about the shitty camera angle on this one.

[pbvideo]http://vid388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Videos/IMG_0653_zpsdae415c6.mp4[/pbvideo]

4.80 and a 4.83 clean on this one.

[pbvideo]http://vid388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Videos/IMG_0665_zps061fff8a.mp4[/pbvideo]

t

Site Supporter
    Awesome shooting, taadski.

I am working on a consistent sub-5.5 second from concealment. I'm not there back to back yet, but out of a string of ten runs I had my fastest FAST yet this morning:

5.30, clean. 1.80, .64, 2.28, .20, .19, .19.

I _really_ want a coin, and I need to take some time off the draw and reload. Working on it.

Shot a few FAST with the tiny G42 the other day. Shot clean 6.20, 6.14 and this 6.13. Never saw a slide lock as I have so much high thumb and so little gun.

I just set it in a G17 OWB holster under a vest. Hardly a realistic G42 carry.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Shot a few FAST with the tiny G42 the other day. Shot clean 6.20, 6.14 and this 6.13. Never saw a slide lock as I have so much high thumb and so little gun.

I just set it in a G17 OWB holster under a vest. Hardly a realistic G42 carry.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/
    I would call that a pretty dang good job with that little gun!

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    4.78 and a 4.46 back to back. I put one a touch high outta the head on the second run, so it's a 6.46.

Runs were 4:05 and a 4:21 clean. Although I was using a metric target head box instead of the larger 3x5 and the upper half of the lower A for the body

4.80 and a 4.83 clean on this one.
    I can't see the videos, but that is excellent. 4.05, yes! Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    5.30, clean. 1.80, .64, 2.28, .20, .19, .19.

I _really_ want a coin, and I need to take some time off the draw and reload. Working on it.
    Based on those numbers I think you are exactly on the right track to look at the draw and reload. You are getting there!

Shot a few FAST with the tiny G42 the other day. Shot clean 6.20, 6.14 and this 6.13.]
    Nice job!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

That's really impressive consistent shooting, bud. In particular with what amounts to a pocket sized pistol. Really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I can't see the videos, but that is excellent.
    G, Thanks. Re the vids, Tom just recently helped me with linking them from Photobucket. I know it takes a few for them to load and show up on my computer. And even longer on my iPhone, but if you just stare at the screen for a while, like a zombie, they eventually load. I think anyway. If they aren't working, I may have to buck up and just open a youtube account if that's "the way" to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    Awesome shooting, taadski. I am working on a consistent sub-5.5 second from concealment.

Thanks DEG. I suspect you'll be seeing your goal come to fruition pretty quickly! A big plus is that those components in particular can be worked on really effectively in dry fire.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    G, Thanks. Re the vids, Tom just recently helped me with linking them from Photobucket. I know it takes a few for them to load and show up on my computer. And even longer on my iPhone, but if you just stare at the screen for a while, like a zombie, they eventually load. I think anyway. If they aren't working, I may have to buck up and just open a youtube account if that's "the way" to go about it.
    Staring at the screen like a zombie, that I can do. I will check again at home when I am not on my other computer or my phone.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Staring at the screen like a zombie, that I can do. I will check again at home when I am not on my other computer or my phone.
    Thx. I appreciate knowing if they're not working.

t

User Tag List