Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P320 Shoots Out of Battery Allegations

Sig Sauer P320 Shoots Out of Battery Allegations

The newest charge to hit Sig comes in the form of a lawsuit filed against Sig Sauer.

The suit alleges that the Sig P320 can fire out of battery. Shooting out of battery means the gun can fire before the slide is fully forward. The result of an out of battery discharge can range from a pant staining moment to serious harm. An out of battery discharge is when the round fires before the slide is entirely into battery. There is nothing to hold that microexplosion in place. The cartridge isn’t fully supported, and the gas and even pieces of brass can shoot out the ejection port and injure the shooter.

Let’s be clear here; this is only an allegation in a lawsuit. While undoubtedly there must be evidence presented with the suit for it to succeed, we just haven’t seen it. The crux of the lawsuit seems to be the claim that the Sig P320 does not have a disconnect safety, and if it did the gun would not fire out of battery. According to the Sig Sauer’s website, the gun certainly has a disconnect safety.

However, some outlets are reporting the Sig P320 voluntary upgrade package included the disconnect safety, as well as subsequent P320 models. Would older models be missing the disconnect safety?

The suit is being filed by two men, one seeking reimbursement for the pistol he purchased. He claims that he would not have bought the gun if he knew about the defect. The second man claims his weapon has fired out of battery twice and has been damaged. They are seeking class-action status.

Sig Sauer requested and was granted an extension to examine the Plaintiff’s claims and prepare a response. I’m no lawyer, but if I was Sig I’d want to see the gun that fired out of battery twice. Examine it for any kitchen counter gunsmithing, as well as know the ammunition used in the firearm.

This is indeed a story worth keeping an eye on. At this point, anything with the P320 could be possible.
    https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/s...ut-of-battery/

The P320 tire fire continues..

Site Supporter
    Wow. I am actually shocked. I didn't think it could get any worse.

This is the condition that is causing case bases to blow out. Similar failures have been reported by me. The problem is proving that this is what is happening. At one time there was a video up somewhere of Bruce Grey’s granddaughter having a case blow out during a match. He wrote it off to a bad case. I think it’s going to be really difficult to prove that cases are not to blame but this seems to happen a lot with some 320’s.

I don’t own one any longer. Curious to see what comes out of this though.

this is the very same thing that happens on the beretta APX, almost happened to me. In other istances there were a number of kabooms and bulged brass.

The P320 was my very first firearm. I’m glad I sold it when I did. I moved over to glocks and finally settled on beretta. One has to wonder what kind of testing is going on if not one but two safety issues are present in a firearm that was selling for over $500. E. Langdon has said several times that sometimes Beretta is slow to the market because they test everything (even whether paint chips off the sights) on their firearms through tens of thousands of rounds before it goes to market. Does Sig do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Sig fixed this at the same time as the drop safety defect, why should anyone but a plaintiff’s lawyer care?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If Sig fixed this at the same time as the drop safety defect, why should anyone but a plaintiff’s lawyer care?
    It matters because of what Sig knew at the time they released the firearm. If you recall, sig didn’t issue a safety recall. It was framed as a “voluntary upgrade.” Therefore, they did not tell consumers that the firearm was unsafe and should not be fired. They left it to consumers. If they knew about this clear safety issue when they issued the upgrade on the trigger without saying that a round could blow up in your face if you don’t participate in the “upgrade” then that’s a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Maybe if you were an early adopter and have an old gun? I’d hazard a “guess” that most are case related, even with factory ammo. I’ve certainly seen some ugly cases coming out of the box. As always, WWB seems to about the worst. A bent, creased or damaged case could likely contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDOG68 View Post
    this is the very same thing that happens on the beretta APX, almost happened to me. In other istances there were a number of kabooms and bulged brass.
    For real? Got any other sources or threads on this APX problem?

Hammertime

User Tag List