Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is now the time to buy?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    Not being a jerk at all. Last year's purchase was carry pistol. Things are a bit better financially this year. I appreciate the suggestion on the stripped lower.
    Sounds like you have your priorities in order. I didn't get my first AR until the post-Newtown panic buying, though I did squirrel away a stripped lower and a couple of mags as soon as the 1994 ban sunset. I'm not even sure if I've shot my AR in the past year! Anyway, GunMagWareHouse has Gen3 PMags on sale right now -- 10 mags for $90 (LINK). I'd buy more myself, but unfortunately my gun budget is spent for a while. Speaking of mags, do you have plenty for your carry pistol? If not, I put that high on the list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I would recommend buying a few complete or stripped lowers. Palmetto has some good deals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have learned my lessons in the past. I keep primers, powder, magazines, etc. on hand all the time. I keep a few stripped AR lowers and AR bolt carrier groups on hand too.
    Showing my newbieness here. What's the purpose of having stripped lowers? Banking future rifles at low cost?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Showing my newbieness here. What's the purpose of having stripped lowers? Banking future rifles at low cost?
    At this point in time, the lower is the only serialized part you must transfer via a dealer (unless a private F2F purchase). The rest of the components can be purchased online and shipped directly to you. Ergo, buy the lowers now and order the rest as you have time, money, and desire.

Chris

Business grad checking in.

On buying to avoid a ban- don’t. As others pointed out , the antis have learned their lesson from the first AWB. There will be no sunset clause or grandfathering in most future bills; and if there is it will be assuredly revoked after the next attack.

As far as prices go, don’t count on them rising after every mass violence attack either. Since grandfathering isn’t likely for most bills, there won’t be a point in panic buying regulated weapons.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 03-03-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Personally, I've been trying to buy 1k of ammo bi weekly. Target sports is conveniently located a few miles from my front door and I can get a decent deal on the ammo. I don't see the restrictions on ammo in CA being too far off for what can/will happen here. We're already limited on capacity, ARs etc so I can at least stock up on ammo for my handguns without much issue.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Business grad checking in.

On buying to avoid a ban- donÂ’t. As others pointed out , the antis have learned their lesson from the first AWB. There will be no sunset clause or grandfathering in most future bills; and if there is it will be assuredly revoked after the next attack.

As far as prices go, donÂ’t count on them rising after every mass violence attack either. Since grandfathering isnÂ’t likely for most bills, there wonÂ’t be a point in panic buying regulated weapons.
    Capitulation: the act of surrendering or ceasing to resist an opponent or demand.

You are speculating and offering what I consider to be very bad advice. Look at the spectrum of possible outcomes. Some one buys a stripped lower and a few months later it becomes illegal because whatever bill is passed does not have a grandfather clause. As a result, the person is out $100. On the other hand, the person buys that same stripped lower, but whatever bill is passed does have a grandfather clause. Then the person lives happily ever after as an AR owner. In these scenarios, the risk benefit analysis is highly skewed in favor of buying the stripped lower (and plenty of mags). Maximum downside is maybe $200 at this point. I'd happily risk the $200 (and have). A stripped lower and few mags (AR and G17) were the very first things I bought after the 2004 sunset.

Passing a bill without a grandfather clause will be far far more difficult than passing one with a grandfather clause. I'm sure if the antis could have swung that in 1994 they would have. People on the other side were just as motivated then as now. Fortunately for us, "The government took my $10,000 worth of guns" gives an incumbent a lot more hesitation "The government won't let me buy cool new stuff anymore."

Lastly, no one should give up the fight just yet! Tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to write REI and end my affiliation with them. I also need to write my state level politicians this week and send a little money to the NRA-ILA.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Capitulation: the act of surrendering or ceasing to resist an opponent or demand.

You are speculating and offering what I consider to be very bad advice. Look at the spectrum of possible outcomes. .....
    Last I checked this is not a war. With that established, we return to the purpose at hand; a stripped lower is a paperweight unless it’s built into a firearm. In the event it’s legal & grandfathered , there will assuredly be some documentation & registration applied as a condition of keeping that weapon. “Happily ever after” can get expensive,and it may be for naught when the guns grandfathered this legislative session are banned outright after the next.

I’m of the approach that one should buy what they wish, be civically active (which means following the law also) and leave the forecasting to weathermen and gypsies.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I picked up stripped lowers for $40 to $50 each. I keep a few on hand. I had a headhunter contact me Friday about a very nice opportunity in Chicago, IL - I told him Chicago could not even be considered. I will stay in friendly territory; otherwise, I would have to sell a bunch of stuff.

User Tag List