Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is now the time to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    +1 on watching the language in the bills circulating in your state. The NY SAFE ACT that was passed with almost no public debate or knowledge in the middle of the night in Albany didn't allow any grandfathering. If you owned a weapon with a certain number of evil features, you had to register it with the State Police by a certain date, or become a felon. Lots of BS like this looming...
    Lots of that going on in IL right now. One bill had possession of a single standard capacity mag as a felony. 90 day grace period I think to dispose of them. It’s been a rough week here.

I’m honestly not sure how this is all going to play out but I may be shopping for a pair of HK45Cs soon since moving isn’t an option at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post

So my question is: if I don't have an AR, should I prioritize getting one before November? What say you?
    My observation would be that not too long after the last election, many vendors realized they had overstocked in anticipation of a Hillary win and subsequent panic buying/shortages/price increases/ching-ching. As a result, prices on carbines, ammo, mags, etc. have been pretty reasonable. But that is likely to change if the panic buying, shortages, etc. come to pass. If an AR is not in the budget, shotguns are typically affordable and at least in the last bill were mostly ignored. IIRC the only guns banned were pistol gripped autos with heat shields (or something along those lines).
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I have already been told of some panic behavior while visting the LGS and a hardware store. I would say if an AWB or similiar is a genuine concern to you that now is the time. Prices have been great for a long time.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but last spring and summer was the time to buy. Guns and mags have been on sale for a year now. Regardless, definitely buy whatever you want as quickly as you can afford. I'd get a stripped lower and mags first. Even if they aren't grandfathered in your state, you could probably get most of your money back out or even make a profit if significant panic buying occurs nationally.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Pick up a Colt 6960, Aimpoint PRO, two point sling, mags and back up irons of your choice. If you want one, there's no time like the present.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 03-02-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    FL already shot down their proposed AWB, didn't they?
    Yes. But they are hung up on a school safety bill that includes a couple of provisions such as 21yo and waiting periods. Some representatives want a ban in it, but that seems unlikely. The last I read there may not be enough support to pass it in any form.

I would say donate first, so you can buy later.
    Last edited by Hambo; 03-02-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but last spring and summer was the time to buy. Guns and mags have been on sale for a year now.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Not being a jerk at all. Last year's purchase was carry pistol. Things are a bit better financially this year. I appreciate the suggestion on the stripped lower.

Site Supporter
    I have learned my lessons in the past. I keep primers, powder, magazines, etc. on hand all the time. I keep a few stripped AR lowers and AR bolt carrier groups on hand too.

This seems relevant.

Site Supporter
    Buy ARs? Nah. Ship has sailed.

I'd be buying ammo or components though. These panic situations tend to fly way the fuck off the handle and stay there for months...if not years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List