Page 202 of 346 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Site Supporter
    So the in regard to the trigger.

Is it lighter than the Gen 4s? I know some people thought the PPQ trigger pushed the limits as acceptable for a duty gun. Is the Gen 5 that light?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So the in regard to the trigger.

Is it lighter than the Gen 4s? I know some people thought the PPQ trigger pushed the limits as acceptable for a duty gun. Is the Gen 5 that light?
    The Gen 5 triggers are lighter than the Gen 4s but nothing like a PPQ.

They are actully 5.5 lbs like the Gen 1/2/3 Glocks - the Gen 4s have been more like 6.5-7lbs.

The other big difference is the gen 5s don't have a wall. Just a smooth pull straight through.

The triggers are a bit lighter than earlier generations. My Gen 5 G34 blue box with the factory minus connector was breaking at around 4.8-5lbs on a higher end digital gauge. Never seen one break that light before.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    The triggers are a bit lighter than earlier generations. My Gen 5 G34 blue box with the factory minus connector was breaking at around 4.8-5lbs on a higher end digital gauge. Never seen one break that light before.
    A bit lighter than Gen4s but they were an aberration.

Factory minus connectors were originally billed as 3.5 lb connectors later corrected to 4.5 so it is spot on for a gun with a minus connector.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Gen 5 triggers are lighter than the Gen 4s but nothing like a PPQ.

They are actully 5.5 lbs like the Gen 1/2/3 Glocks - the Gen 4s have been more like 6.5-7lbs.

The other big difference is the gen 5s don't have a wall. Just a smooth pull straight through.
    I wouldn't say "no" wall, but certainly a much less pronounced one. Overall, I'd say the take-up is a hair heavier than before and the break a little lighter, so the net effect is a more consistent, pleasant pull.

Another thing that I really prefer in the gen 5's is the redesigned slide stop/release. Its still flush and smooth against the frame but there's just enough of an enhanced lip to the top 90 degree bend that its much easier to push downward on a speed reload. Not quite as pronounced as the Vickers, but just enough to be intuitive

shot my 19X for the first time this morning.

very flat and fast shooting gun, and while the trigger may not be as "nice" as the latest crop of polymer guns, it didn't hold me back one bit.

Damn these things seem to multiply when you aren’t looking.

Snagged a G26.5 today.

I was able to get to the range for an hour before setting up the stage I designed. I put 267 rounds through the gun. There was one stoppage with a high primer that didn’t light off on a set of three reloads a friend of mine shot through the gun. For 2000 round challenge purposes I’ll note it, but I won’t count it as a stoppage for the test.

The gun shot well, but I had three instances of BTF. I also had a VERY hard time racking the slide when I inserted a fresh mag in the gun. I think the spring pressure as so great that it caused the top round to bind the slide somehow. After a hundred rounds or so the issue seemed to improve but it kinda pissed me off to even have to deal with it in the first place. So did the BTF’s.

POI was a the top edge of the front sight at 18 Yards (longest bay I could get today) and it as centered well. I was able to pull off a 2.05 Sec Bill on my first attempt and in further testing I was able to get splits as low as .15’s with .18’s really common. Recoil was mild. Sight tracked straight up and down. Reloads were smooth.

Question for the guru’s: what are the stock heights of the front and rear sights?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I was able to get to the range for an hour before setting up the stage I designed. I put 267 rounds through the gun. There was one stoppage with a high primer that didn’t light off on a set of three reloads a friend of mine shot through the gun. For 2000 round challenge purposes I’ll note it, but I won’t count it as a stoppage for the test.

The gun shot well, but I had three instances of BTF. I also had a VERY hard time racking the slide when I inserted a fresh mag in the gun. I think the spring pressure as so great that it caused the top round to bind the slide somehow. After a hundred rounds or so the issue seemed to improve but it kinda pissed me off to even have to deal with it in the first place. So did the BTF’s.

POI was a the top edge of the front sight at 18 Yards (longest bay I could get today) and it as centered well. I was able to pull off a 2.05 Sec Bill on my first attempt and in further testing I was able to get splits as low as .15’s with .18’s really common. Recoil was mild. Sight tracked straight up and down. Reloads were smooth.

Question for the guru’s: what are the stock heights of the front and rear sights?
    Some of my thoughts.

-Are we talking about your G17Gen5 shown ~10 days ago? If so, I've had varying reports of sight heights coming with these Gen5 guns. Mine came with a .165", aka 4.1mm standard Glock polymer front sight and a 6.1mm "GMS" (Glock Modified Sight) rear. Other folks have received a more normal 6.5mm rear sight. Mine seemed to shoot low and I've replaced the sights with the usual sight heights Glock had previously used, 4.1mm front and 6.5mm rear.

-Is the "2000 round challenge" some type of competition going on somewhere or just a personal test & goal? I thought I saw elsewhere on this forum somebody doing these personal reliability tests but don't know the details. Is there some standardized 9mm ammo? I read reloads were being used or was that just three rounds which didn't even need mentioning as the round(s) may have been defective? Is there any cleaning and lubrication intervals involved? Does the gun start out from new, out-of-the-box?

I understand a 2000 round challenge if its a review of one's experience with a specific firearm, ammo, and shooter. This might be akin to an automobile magazine's long-term test of a specific vehicle.

-I admit I don't practice or train with timers. During my cop career, my training just didn't involve measuring our speed. I understand, particularly on this forum, "Bill Drills" and "splits" are a commonly-used means of comparing one's performance and possibly one's performance with different guns. In other words, I've got no frame-of-reference as to how good or bad the stated times are. Perhaps these times are just the initial starting points for use in later comparison after using and practicing with this G17Gen5 at the end of the 2000 rounds, but I don't know. I realize I'm particularly ignorant in this area so be particularly gentle should anyone explain this to me as I'm a sensitive guy and get butt-hurt easily

-I've previously read of folks having difficulty racking a Glock slide with a full mag inserted. After using Glocks for most of my career, I'll typically first lock the slide back, then chamber a round; then insert a full mag to get to, in this case, the 17+1 full capacity. After the mag springs take a set, the slide will get easier to cycle even from slide lock. Some trainers will suggest downloading the mags one or two rounds to allow an easier time in getting the mags to lock in during a reload with the slide already in battery (at the cost of those one or two rounds less). Users of the AR-15 may have received the same training/usage suggestion at some point in the past. My department's policies didn't mandate a specific number of rounds or prevent its LEOs from carrying a downloaded mag.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Some of my thoughts.

-Are we talking about your G17Gen5 shown ~10 days ago? If so, I've had varying reports of sight heights coming with these Gen5 guns. Mine came with a .165", aka 4.1mm standard Glock polymer front sight and a 6.1mm "GMS" (Glock Modified Sight) rear. Other folks have received a more normal 6.5mm rear sight. Mine seemed to shoot low and I've replaced the sights with the usual sight heights Glock had previously used, 4.1mm front and 6.5mm rear.

-Is the "2000 round challenge" some type of competition going on somewhere or just a personal test & goal? I thought I saw elsewhere on this forum somebody doing these personal reliability tests but don't know the details. Is there some standardized 9mm ammo? I read reloads were being used or was that just three rounds which didn't even need mentioning as the round(s) may have been defective? Is there any cleaning and lubrication intervals involved? Does the gun start out from new, out-of-the-box?

I understand a 2000 round challenge if its a review of one's experience with a specific firearm, ammo, and shooter. This might be akin to an automobile magazine's long-term test of a specific vehicle.

-I admit I don't practice or train with timers. During my cop career, my training just didn't involve measuring our speed. I understand, particularly on this forum, "Bill Drills" and "splits" are a commonly-used means of comparing one's performance and possibly one's performance with different guns. In other words, I've got no frame-of-reference as to how good or bad the stated times are. Perhaps these times are just the initial starting points for use in later comparison after using and practicing with this G17Gen5 at the end of the 2000 rounds, but I don't know. I realize I'm particularly ignorant in this area so be particularly gentle should anyone explain this to me as I'm a sensitive guy and get butt-hurt easily

-I've previously read of folks having difficulty racking a Glock slide with a full mag inserted. After using Glocks for most of my career, I'll typically first lock the slide back, then chamber a round; then insert a full mag to get to, in this case, the 17+1 full capacity. After the mag springs take a set, the slide will get easier to cycle even from slide lock. Some trainers will suggest downloading the mags one or two rounds to allow an easier time in getting the mags to lock in during a reload with the slide already in battery (at the cost of those one or two rounds less). Users of the AR-15 may have received the same training/usage suggestion at some point in the past. My department's policies didn't mandate a specific number of rounds or prevent its LEOs from carrying a downloaded mag.
    2,000 round challenge is a means of vetting reliability of a particular firearm. The gun is cleaned and lubed at the start. Thereafter, no additional cleaning, lubrication or maintenance is performed until 2,000 rounds have been fired.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ound-Challenge

User Tag List