Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta BU9 Nano 9mm Project

Beretta BU9 Nano 9mm Project

I had a BU9 that has been mostly resting and forgotten about in the back of the safe for a few years. I really liked the idea that Beretta had when they designed it regarding the size, caliber, portability and felt recoil. I absolutely did not like the trigger pull, sights, finish and lack of a thumb operated slide release. I use the sling shot method when changing mags or loading so it really shouldn't have bothered me. It still bugged me though.

Last month I pulled it out of the safe and after handling it for a bit decided I should do something about. So, I did:

- Swapped stock sights for Trijicon 3 dot night sights.
    - Polished bbl; feed ramp, hood, chamber.
    - Trigger work; relief cut striker engagement (~.030"), polished striker, striker spring guide, striker block, trigger bar, cocking lever pin, cocking lever, trigger pin.
    - Replaced stock striker block spring, sear spring, striker spring guide with Galloway Precision.
    - Added Galloway Precision textured rubber grip.
    - Modified mag catch; attached Glock G34 slide release lever, relief cut frame.

The results so far have bee quite sweet. The trigger is now smooth, free of grittiness and about 4.5lbs according to my Lyman. More importantly than the weight is the feel. The trigger breaks further forward rather than all the way back against the frame as it did from the factory. It feels more natural, smooth and not awkward. Last weekend I ran 262 rounds through it, (150 PPU 115gr, 100 Fiocchi 115gr & 12 Speer GD 124gr), without any failures. Primer strikes on spent brass looks very strong and are dented quite nicely. I didn't time anything but running through a couple of drills from the ready position felt very smooth compared to how the trigger felt previously.

I'm now really liking this pistol and it's starting to grow on me the more I handle it and dry fire it. On the next range trip I plan on picking up a box of Win WB 115gr to test. This ammo didn't work so well prior to the mods, (FTE), so I'd like to test it post mods. The Trijicons are a nice upgrade compared to the Beretta stock sights. I prefer a contrast to front and rear sights. If there were a set of Hackathorn type sights available on the market for the BU9 I would definitely be a buyer. I phoned AmeriGlo and it doesn't sound like they will have anything available anytime soon.

The next step is get the pistol through a 1000 rounds shake down run without failures. If all goes well then a refinish in Cerakote sniper gray will complete the package.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nanos have a history of borderline extractor grip. They can be very picky about ammo and parts swaps don't seem to consistently improve the issue. It's been several years since I've kept up with this issue, so I have no idea if they've addressed it in any significant fashion since. I'd encourage the use of hot mid-weight ammo with a large rim diameter. I don't own one, but I have put about 100 rounds through a couple. I found the trigger pull very manageable and smooth despite the weight and break point, though I'm sure your mods have made it that much better. Palm pinch on loading and the wide, blocky beavertail against my thumb knuckle were some downsides for me, as well as a lack of higher capacity mag options. That said, I'm interested to see how it works.

I have a Nano with about 300 rounds through it. Most all of the ammo has been 124 NATO and 115 Cor-bon. I had probably 5 feeding malf's in the first 100 rounds and 2 since. It has run 100 of the 115's without a burp and I have several boxes of those strictly for the Nano. For some reason it didn't like my preferred 9mm carry round which are the GD +p 124's. Don't carry or shoot it much as my 642 works for pocket carry. It did shed the rear sight which seems common with that gun and was easily fixed by peening the slide to raise a bit of metal.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 08-24-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I prefer the GD 124gr also. I've run to mags full so far without a hitch. My plan of getting more range time and round count this weekend has been scrubbed due to Harvey. Think I'll be staying close to home. Things can get kind of sporty here in Central Texas when there is that much rain.
    Last edited by medmo; 08-24-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Just got off the phone with Tooltech Gunsight with some great news! For a total of $37, ($25 service + $12 shipping), they will install an orange ring outline around my green lamp Trijicon front sight dot. The rear sights will remain green lamp Trijicons. They said it would take about 2 weeks. Just completed the order form and will get the front sight out to them today. This will give me the front/rear sight contrast I'm looking for and help pick up the front sight faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by medmo; 08-29-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Site Supporter

Beretta BU9 Nano 9mm Project

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Just got off the phone with Tooltech Gunsight with some great news! For a total of $37, ($25 service + $12 shipping), they will install an orange ring outline around my green lamp Trijicon front sight dot. The rear sights will remain green lamp Trijicons. They said it would take about 2 weeks. Just completed the order form and will get the front sight out to them today. This will give me the front/rear sight contrast I'm looking for and help pick up the front sight faster.
    FWIW, unless they've changed things recently, the shade of orange that Tooltech uses won't be anything close to the color of a Trijicon HD or Ameriglo front sight. It's more like a pumpkin color, and it doesn't catch my eye very well. I was pretty disappointed by it, and wished I'd gone with the white or yellow outline.
    Last edited by Dave J; 08-29-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Site Supporter

Tooltech orange ring on the left, Ameriglo on the right.

The Tooltech orange actually doesn't look that bad in this photo, but to me it becomes more of a washed out brown as soon as the light level starts to drop.

Well, it looks like pumpkin orange instead of HD orange on the front sight I shipped out today. Thanks for the scoop. Will post some pics once I get it back. I was thinking HD orange. 200 more rounds today at the range. 50 were Win WB 115gr rounds wirh no faiilures. I used the stock sights since the front Trijicon is at Tooltech. Accuracy and speed increasing.

I smoothed my nano trigger out by putting 2k through it. It only had a few fte in the first 100 rounds. Been flawless since then.

Not bad at 25 yards:

Site Supporter
    Glad to see some Nano love.

My PERSONAL Nano has over 10k rounds through the chassis. I have several different grip frames and have a few slides because I like playing around with different sight configs, then semi-permanently locking them in once I like a setup (Red Loctite on the screws+staking dovetails).

As far as function, the vast majority of them out there run just fine, but I usually try to stick to warmer loads.

eb07 Not surprised at your results at 25, they have pretty solid lockup and good barrels some more trigger time and you can probably see that group tighten up even more.
    Last edited by e_stern; 08-30-2017 at 09:47 AM.

User Tag List